Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband in Greystones?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

So I am finally coming to the end of a contract I signed with Eircom and want to change broadband provider. Anyone in the Greystones area got any recommendations?

I tried UPC as they seem to have the fastest products in the market, but they don't have cable in Greystones and the sales guy says they definitely won't have it out here this year.

My Eircom connection was supposedly a 7mbs line but it truth it rarely goes above five and I have to restart the modem every few days to get it back up to speed.

What kind of speeds are others getting in the area, and who would you recommend going with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

If you stick with Eircom, you'll probably get upgraded (for free) to their new eFibre product in the next few months.
    I believe those products start at 30Mb and go up to 70Mb.

On an unrelated note, what would you be willing to pay for proper Broadband? (100Mb and up)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I don't think anyone in greystones is offering over 30mb at the moment which is UPC.

Eircom are currently offering about 8mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

I don't think anyone in greystones is offering over 30mb at the moment which is UPC.

Eircom are currently offering about 8mb.

As the OR said, stick with, coming soon, free upgrade and all that. Can't necessarily beat a free one. Of course it depends on your local in Greystones as well. Central will be soon enough, fringes towards the last three months of the year with the outer edge fringes like Charlesland, Eden Gate & Delgany etc soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

So the consensus seems to be stay with Eircom until this new offering goes live. I'm in Redford Park - anyone have an idea when that's likely to be plugged in?

October at the earliest.

• Advertisement

And that's using the information being published by eircommunism themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I just moved from Vodafone to Sky. The kids were killing my download limit every month so I needed unlimited. Really happy with it so far. I work from home a lot and have had no downtime, the speed is good although I haven't measured it. Got 2 months of free movies and sky hub aswell. It's also cheaper !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Consider moving to Magnet...

They use the Eircom lines, however with them I am getting 0 contention. Basically the slowdown I was seeing in the evening sharing my line with other users while on Eircom is gone.
    They too have been in touch telling me I will get a free upgrade once the fibre rollout is complete in my area.

Was thinking about Sky, but have heard that their contention ratio can be quite high???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Taltos wrote: »
    Consider moving to Magnet...

They use the Eircom lines, however with them I am getting 0 contention. Basically the slowdown I was seeing in the evening sharing my line with other users while on Eircom is gone.
    They too have been in touch telling me I will get a free upgrade once the fibre rollout is complete in my area.

Was thinking about Sky, but have heard that their contention ratio can be quite high???

I had read that about sky alright Taltos but haven't noticed any impact although I'm sure there is one. I needed the unlimited download limit so I wasn't spoilt for choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Digiweb have a 30Mb wireless service - you need line-of-sight to Windgates to get it. TBH your best bet is to wait for the eFibre product to launch in a couple of months, if you're out of contract you'll be able to choose between a number of different suppliers and you should be able to get 50Mb (the new fibre cab is at the entrance to Redford).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Swanner wrote: »
    I had read that about sky alright Taltos but haven't noticed any impact although I'm sure there is one. I needed the unlimited download limit so I wasn't spoilt for choice.

I know few of them offer it, luckily Magnet does.
    Although it would be handy to get the sky channels, as it is have FTA and Saorview combo box, just no premium which while can be a bit of a pain is saving me quite a bit over time.
    # Years since saying bye to Sky > 4... and counting

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

see this thread for info on efibre roll out. You may have seen engineers in the area recenty installing fibre cabinets on the road side (one at the top of Redford for example between entrance and cemetery)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

Advertisement