Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming pregnant on medication

Options
  • 14-06-2013 1:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭

I am on a lot of medication and would like to become pregnant. A pharmacist told me about a clinic in the coombe that before conceiving they can give advise on being on medication whether it is safe or not etc, but I can't find anything about it on the site. Does anyone know of anywhere that can advise or help me,im going to see my gp but she never gives a straight answer,as the medication are new on market and there is not much information on them.Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

smares wrote: »
    I am on a lot of medication and would like to become pregnant. A pharmacist told me about a clinic in the coombe that before conceiving they can give advise on being on medication whether it is safe or not etc, but I can't find anything about it on the site. Does anyone know of anywhere that can advise or help me,im going to see my gp but she never gives a straight answer,as the medication are new on market and there is not much information on them.Thanks

Start with your GP. Or, go back to the pharmacist and ask them for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Your pharmacist should be well able to answer that. All medication has patient information leaflets which will explain whether it is safe for pregnancy or not. Pharmacists know this.

Your GP should also be able to tell you verey clearly, and I wonder why neither of those professionals were able to answer you. If the medication you are taking is non-prescribed maybe... self-medicating perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

From personal experience, my GP thought certain meds were ok and 'low risk' but my OBGYN completely disagreed. My eye doctor told me it was fine to be on immuran if I got pregnant and again my OBGYN said absolutely not as it can cause severe birth defects and that it can still cause problems up to 6 months after taking it.

I think OP is on the right track to seek the advice of an OBGYN rather than a GP or pharmasist. There are also other things to consider such as your general health off the medication as with some conditions it is often felt that it is healthier for mum and baby to be on the medication and aware of the risks, than off the medication which could have worse risks.

OP, I would recommend you save up and make a private appointment with an OBGYN or ask your GP to arrange for a referral publicly (although you might have to wait some time for that).

Advertisement