Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my Xbox so loud when watching Netflix and sky?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why my Xbox sounds like a jet engine when watching Netflix or Sky, the disk isn't running so there shouldn't be any reason for the fan going crazy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

censuspro wrote: »
    Does anyone know why my Xbox sounds like a jet engine when watching Netflix or Sky, the disk isn't running so there shouldn't be any reason for the fan going crazy?

Streaming video, especially high definition stuff like that on Netflix, will be pretty CPU intensive. It would be the same on a laptop or PC, fans will kick in as the CPU is going quite hard and something has to dissipate the heat.

Wouldn't bother me too much, a fan under load is less worrying that no fan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Streaming video, especially high definition stuff like that on Netflix, will be pretty CPU intensive. It would be the same on a laptop or PC, fans will kick in as the CPU is going quite hard and something has to dissipate the heat.

Wouldn't bother me too much, a fan under load is less worrying that no fan at all.

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything I can do about the noise because it's very hard to hear the TV without raising the volume too much and I tried putting in a drawer but that just leads to over heating.

PS: The Wii is very quiet when watching Netflix does this not put a strain of the processor for the Wii also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything I can do about the noise because it's very hard to hear the TV without raising the volume too much and I tried putting in a drawer but that just leads to over heating.

PS: The Wii is very quiet when watching Netflix does this not put a strain of the processor for the Wii also?

Buy a headset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Whilst voodoo is correct, if it's so bad you have to crank the tv to extremes then I'd say your console is a bit sick. Not necessarily that it's going to pack in any day or anything, but it ain't like it used to be. Is it ab old model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If you have the tools and are not worried about voiding a warranty etc. then opening up the case and clearing out the dust from the fans and processor will help.

Did my desktop pc the other day difference in volume levels was like a jumbo jet vs a car afterwards in terms of noise level, from a scream to a whisper lol so I'd imagine the same will be true of the xbox

• Advertisement
Advertisement