Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seller refusing to send off Registration Cert

Comments

Exactly he doesn't own the logbook so he is illegally withholding an official document and trying to fraudulently take money from you to release it

I tried quoting that one to the Gardaí a few weeks back and I was told they won't have anything to do with private sales...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,300 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

one77 wrote: »
    I tried quoting that one to the Gardaí a few weeks back and I was told they won't have anything to do with private sales...

You need a proffesional liar then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Try the guards again or speak to one of the senior staff there. Something has to be done. Or else, Anyone could sell a car and not give the log book without any repercussions.

Nemeses wrote: »
    Try the guards again or speak to one of the senior staff there. Something has to be done. Or else, Anyone could sell a car and not give the log book without any repercussions.

I might just do that now, then park in town for a few hours with no ticket:cool:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Could you not report the reg cert as stolen? Im assuming he no longer has his insurance on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I might just do that now, then park in town for a few hours with no ticket:cool:

Do you have insurance?

You don't technically own the car to be able to insure it.......

antodeco wrote: »
    Could you not report the reg cert as stolen? Im assuming he no longer has his insurance on it?

I think to report it stolen it must be in my name first? anyway don't want to making things more complicated especially after Shannon rejecting the statutory declaration

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Do you have insurance?

If he has Open drive he can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Pay the money to the pryck. Take it as a lesson learned. The worry alone has to be worth €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I think 'captain slow IRL' on here had a similar problem a while back. Not sure what the outcome was but you could PM him.
    Or he may even be reading this.

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Do you have insurance?

I am insured as I have open drive anyway and I'm not driving the car much, maybe one day every 2-3 weeks (hence why I was selling it!!)

I said that to the Garda the last time I was in the station-technically if I was involved in a collision I may not be covered as well as being prevented from taxing the car. She replied "Thats a hypothetical situation, we don't deal with those"

Better still, Look to speak with The Traffic Corp crew.. I think they would be able to advise a lot better than the standard guard - No offence to the standard Guard but these guys ...

well, I''m scared to meet them on the road or get stopped by them. They mean business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

antodeco wrote: »
    If he has Open drive he can!

Only with the owner's permission.....
    Of course as he is now the owner (Irish law states that 'the person named on the log book or VLC may or may not be the owner of the vehicle') he would have to insure it himself.

I am insured as I have open drive anyway

Don't you need to have the owners permission......

I'd contact your insurer and ask.

No point in ending up in more trouble :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I bought it back for e200 LESS! It would be a bargain if it was only E200...
    I really don't know...He was very aggressive on the phone the morning we agreed on the price, threatened me with court, kept saying I was a crook and dishonest, told me his family were all solicitors and he knew the law...I know, looking back i'm kicking myself for giving in but I just wanted to avoid situations like this arising!!

Believe me, no situation would have arisen. Nothing you can do now but I have to say it was stupid dealing with him. You should have told him day one to take a short walk off the edge of a cliff. Apply for a new cert and if he rings tell him to get his solicitor contact you and not to contact you again. Hopefully you'll have learnt a lesson out of all this! Not a nice situation to be in but once a private sale is done the buyer has no comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ask the guard if he has heard of the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation and how they manage to exist. This is not a case fr them, however, if the other person had no intention to permit the reregistration of the car, they are committing an offence under s6 Theft and Fraud Offences Act 2001, ie causing a loss to another by deception (deliberately withholding the registration document with the intention to cause you loss). This is a matter for the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

"Sold as seen", I honestly don't know what was going through your head.

Why?? I mean why?

Caliden wrote: »
    "Sold as seen", I honestly don't know what was going through your head.

Why?? I mean why?

I know :/ I felt bad at the start over the battery (I was genuinely unaware that it was weak!)
    I said that on the phone to him, it was sold as seen, off a private ad on donedeal, but the prick just kept at it. I thought at least by buying the car back I wouldn't be pestered and harassed and could easily sell the car on again. But no...some people...why bother trying to be genuine and honest anymore, people are just gonna take advantage-that's what I've learnt from this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

sorry, have to ask what car this is.

sorry, have to ask what car this is.

It's an A4

• Advertisement

It's an A4

Ah here - Get off boards and go to your local garda station would ya?! :P

PS - Let us know the outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Burn the bastards house down..... if you know his address.
    Or better still, call him up and tell him that the radio isnt working and that he was dishonest selling the car back to you and that you want a new radio. Pester him constantly until he gives up and sends the log book.. By pestering him I mean constantly call saying you want your money back.
    While you're at it, tell him my Volvo got a puncture last week and I want the 70e for the tire back.
    Feel sorry for you buddy, but as mentioned you were too nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hope you get sorted soon OP, sounds like your dealing with a right head case there.

Ah here - Get off boards and go to your local garda station would ya?! :P

PS - Let us know the outcome...

Right so, here's what has to happen:Solicitor must send her a letter stating breach of contract. It doesn't fall under Fraud & Theft offences. The Gardaí can't do anything in this case as it's a civil matter. The parking fine trick isn't recommended because if it were to go to court the fine would be proportioned and I would end up paying up to 75% of it.
    Hopefully the letter will make her cop on or else she's gonna end up in court

Right so, here's what has to happen:Solicitor must send her a letter stating breach of contract. It doesn't fall under Fraud & Theft offences. The Gardaí can't do anything in this case as it's a civil matter. The parking fine trick isn't recommended because if it were to go to court the fine would be proportioned and I would end up paying up to 75% of it.
    Hopefully the letter will make her cop on or else she's gonna end up in court

That was quick. Hopefully the solicitors letter will do the trick then so.

That was quick. Hopefully the solicitors letter will do the trick then so.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Don't give him any €200 OP. If you give him any money, he will really turn the knife on you. You've given him enough and he will continue to screw with you if you keep paying him.

Don't give him any €200 OP. If you give him any money, he will really turn the knife on you. You've given him enough and he will continue to screw with you if you keep paying him.

Indeed, Make communication as minimum as possible, Let the letter do the talking for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

pizza delivery, taxi, window sellers etc etc etc

• Advertisement

serious3 wrote: »
    pizza delivery, taxi, window sellers etc etc etc

Ad in local paper with a Massey Ferguson free to good home and the guys mobile number

Advertisement