Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and recommendations for a new router

• 14-06-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi Guys, hoping you could help me out. I am in the market for a new wireless router. The current Netgear one I have is old and keeps dropping my connection. I simple reboot restores it but it is annoying!

What I am looking for is some recommendations and some advice. I am with Magnet broadband. We currently just connect the router up to the network point in the wall via an ethernet cable. I am just not sure whether this means I should be looking at a wireless cable or ADSL routers, as I see there is different models on the Amazon and the likes. Could someone advise which type I should be looking for?

Also if anyone had recommendations for a reliable, not terribly expensive model I would be much obliged as well. I see there are some with USB sockets which I think may be handy to transfer files to a portable hard drive I have, so if it had one of these all the better.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

BillyBoy wrote: »
    Hi Guys, hoping you could help me out. I am in the market for a new wireless router. The current Netgear one I have is old and keeps dropping my connection. I simple reboot restores it but it is annoying!

What I am looking for is some recommendations and some advice. I am with Magnet broadband. We currently just connect the router up to the network point in the wall via an ethernet cable. I am just not sure whether this means I should be looking at a wireless cable or ADSL routers, as I see there is different models on the Amazon and the likes. Could someone advise which type I should be looking for?

Also if anyone had recommendations for a reliable, not terribly expensive model I would be much obliged as well. I see there are some with USB sockets which I think may be handy to transfer files to a portable hard drive I have, so if it had one of these all the better.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

If you are in an area that is to be fibre enabled you should hold off buying a new modem considering you would have to go with the ISP's choice if you decided to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

I don't know if you consider this to be expensive, but you didn't specify a price limit, so here's the one I bought back in December to replace our Netgear DG834G, the Asus DSL-N55U. It has been rock solid for us, no matter what, and copying large files across the network we never see any speed drops or anything. Reliable dual band wi-fi, two usb ports for nas media storage and printer hook-up... I think the only thing it doesn't support is dd-wrt. We had friends over recently and they were copying large files from one pc, two of them over wi-fi and one over ethernet, and the router ably provided stable speeds that never dipped.

It's a very fully featured device and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good, stable router. And it should be stable - it has two processors running at 900MHz and with 128MB of ram! The only thing going against it is, as red_bairn said, you may be eligible for efibre soon and your isp will lock you into using theirs, so it may be worth while holding out for now and seeing what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

We bought the Netgear DGN2200 only last year but if the big man is getting fibre when it arrives, we'll be getting a free modem of similar or better performance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Azhrei wrote: »
    I don't know if you consider this to be expensive, but you didn't specify a price limit, so here's the one I bought back in December to replace our Netgear DG834G, the Asus DSL-N55U. It has been rock solid for us, no matter what, and copying large files across the network we never see any speed drops or anything. Reliable dual band wi-fi, two usb ports for nas media storage and printer hook-up... I think the only thing it doesn't support is dd-wrt. We had friends over recently and they were copying large files from one pc, two of them over wi-fi and one over ethernet, and the router ably provided stable speeds that never dipped.

It's a very fully featured device and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good, stable router. And it should be stable - it has two processors running at 900MHz and with 128MB of ram! The only thing going against it is, as red_bairn said, you may be eligible for efibre soon and your isp will lock you into using theirs, so it may be worth while holding out for now and seeing what happens.
    Hi I was just wondering about your router I have to replace my one what download/upload speed do you have from your isp and do you use DDNS or port forwarding with it?

Advertisement