Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a spyhon coffee maker. Similar enough to a filter coffee.

http://vimeo.com/8977253

I think I've seen one before. Except it was much larger, in a hipster coffee place. How much would that set me back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Essien wrote: »
    I feel like me and my jar of instant coffee from Aldi are way out of our depth in this thread.

Colombian marching granules, wha'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Mellor wrote: »
    I think I've seen one before. Except it was much larger, in a hipster coffee place. How much would that set me back?

About 80-100e.

Had to get the burner shipped through a colleague in work as it came from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Brian? wrote: »
    Well done, you've found the line beyond which I'm willing to go :).

I'll stick to my Aeropress.

Same here. Aeropress makes a decent coffee and is easy to clean up afterwards. I presume most of us here use it for a pre work out coffee so a quick clean up is handy.

If you want to enter hipster territory without verging too far into scientist territory, you could use a thermometer. I think the temperature of the water is very important so using a thermometer makes a big difference.

RichFTW wrote: »
    Same here. Aeropress makes a decent coffee and is easy to clean up afterwards. I presume most of us here use it for a pre work out coffee so a quick clean up is handy.

Aeropress is still used when travelling and in a hurry. FYI, I don't think there's anything wrong with and aeropress.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Aeropress is still used when travelling and in a hurry. FYI, I don't think there's anything wrong with and aeropress.

What kind of grind do you use for that yoke? Same as for a french press?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I will have tea please

What kind of grind do you use for that yoke? Same as for a french press?

For the Syphon or Aeropress?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

For the Syphon or Aeropress?

The syphon. I use a grind somewhere between fine and medium for the aeropress.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

The syphon. I use a grind somewhere between fine and medium for the aeropress.

Similar. I'll check what setting the Porlex is on and let you know but I think it's the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Not sure if they're new but I haven't seen them before...but the bacon fillets in Aldi are nomtastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JJayoo wrote: »
    I will have tea please

Lyons or Barry's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Look at him down there, pretending to lift weights while in actual fact he’s probably snorting lines of steroid powder all day. And what’s with those shakes he drinks after every workout? Loaded with steroids, I’m sure.

Loved this bit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Lyons or Barry's?

Always Barrys

• Advertisement

Tea or tay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

decided to put my liberte into my protein drink last night

didn't have enough space in the end to put enough water to mix it so I scooped the liberte covered in lumps of dry protein powder back into the yogurt pot and mixed that

ended up with a 500g tub of cement and a drink which was similar

took both and thought my tummy was going to pop

sat on couch feeling very sorry for myself, wishing I would fart or **** soon to easy my pain

Liberte with powder is perfect as a flavoured yogurt, i wouldn't put it in a drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Should have put a stick into it and frozen it so you could eat it like an ice cream

bluewolf wrote: »
    Liberte with powder is perfect as a flavoured yogurt, i wouldn't put it in a drink!

yeah, I found out the hard way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

250g of Liberte + 25g of whey FTW.

Essien wrote: »
    250g of Liberte + 25g of whey FTW.

I'd get 3 servings from a 500g tub and about 30g whey in each.

I bleed protein, for realz.

tried this for the craic
    http://static.wixstatic.com/media/8aeda2_b12b8873cb8d454b873fc5f309717716.png_srz_159_344_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz
    i wouldn't call it the most appetising but seems handy enough if you're out and about. cant remember how much but something like 2-3 euro

200g Greek Yogurt + two scoops of Rhubarb and Custard protein powder, mix and freeze = delicious protein ice cream

Split between 4 ice-cream/cool-pop molds or 4 x 100cal/15g protein serves, or just eat the lot for all the icy gains.

im pretty thick

did it again last night

500g of liberte, protein powder mixed until thick cement

eat 75% and felt like popping

Im not sure why I did it a 2nd time, think im on a self destruct path in life at the moment

popping/pooping

pretty interchangeable for my last post

im pretty thick

Too much whey.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Was in raw lastnight and some lad rocked in about 21:30 (20 mins before closing) threw 220kg on the fat bar and did some half squats, not a single fúck was given about warming up. I'm guessing this was "light" for him and some kind of accessory

Asked some poor chap to spot him.. I would have been like nope nope nope

In other news Cadburys drinking chocolate + whole milk + unflavoured whey is nearly at mooju levels of delicious

conzy wrote: »
    Was in raw lastnight and some lad rocked in about 21:30 (20 mins before closing) threw 220kg on the fat bar and did some half squats, not a single fúck was given about warming up. I'm guessing this was "light" for him and some kind of accessory

In other news Cadburys drinking chocolate + whole milk + unflavoured whey is nearly at mooju levels of delicious

That was probably Daz :D:D:D

Too much whey.

yeah for sure, wouldn't normally take all that at once, boredom at night can do funny things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He obviously doesn't know much about Strength training or has ego issues.
    But instead of mocking him online I would give him some advice.
    But if someone already did & he continued to do half squats then he is an idiot.

That was probably Daz :D:D:D

Nah I know what daz looks like, I'm always mirin' his training
    MD1990 wrote: »
    But if someone already did & he continued to do half squats then he is an idiot.

Wasnt mocking him tbh just thought it was a bit mental, hes obviously a very strong chap

Do you offer people advice?

Someone tried offering me advice once. I was doing GMs and they told me my squats look terrible and described to me how to do them properly.

Lesson 1: Don't offer people advice in the gym when you don't know what their goal/aim is.

Ya never know like, half squats might be what he was aiming for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

When someone is ego lifting its best to leave them to it

Do you offer people advice?

Someone tried offering me advice once. I was doing GMs and they told me my squats look terrible and described to me how to do them properly.

Lesson 1: Don't offer people advice in the gym when you don't know what their goal/aim is.

Ya never know like, half squats might be what he was aiming for.

Well u could ask them what there goal is . I don't offer people advice .
    But if im in a public gym & someone near me is doing half squats I would give them advice on doing squats properly. Half squats are okay as long as u are doing parallel/deep squats as well.
    I would give them advice if they ignored it I would leave them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Well u could ask them what there goal is . I don't offer people advice .
    But if im in a public gym & someone near me is doing half squats I would give them advice on doing squats properly. Half squats are okay as long as u are doing parallel/deep squats as well.

I would give them advice if they ignored it I would leave them at it.

I would be of the opinion that half squats are never okay, Pin squats would be much safer.
    Using heavy weights , and changing direction at most difficult part of the lift can't be great for your joints.

if someone is lifting more than you, then they are doing it wrong :rolleyes:

papu wrote: »
    I would be of the opinion that half squats are never okay, Pin squats would be much safer.
    Using heavy weights , and changing direction at most difficult part of the lift can't be great for your joints.
    You don't change direction with half squats though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

If I was squatting 220kg without warming up you'd want to seriously look the part to be giving advice. Guys don't get to that level by accident even if it is was only a half squat ZOMG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I know who that fatbar 220kg squats dude would have been (seen this 9.30pm spectacle before) and he's got a record as an athlete beyond what I'm aware anyone posting today has. Unless one of you deadlifted more than 68,210kg in under an hour or something for example. He's also a doctor, surgeon (hint: that's cooler than lifting some arbitrary bull****)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

There's some other kind of lifting?!

I know who that fatbar 220kg squats dude would have been (seen this 9.30pm spectacle before) and he's got a record as an athlete beyond what I'm aware anyone posting today has. Unless one of you deadlifted more than 68,210kg in under an hour or something for example. He's also a doctor, surgeon (hint: that's cooler than lifting some arbitrary bull****)

Incase people have taken me up the wrong way, I was merely pointing out the no fúcks given attitude and the fact that he is obviously a monster. He definitely has viking blood :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

What? of course you do , or else you'd never re-rack it....

I'd only be going in one direction with 220 on my back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Has anyone tried Powerful Yogurt?? (I am sure it has magic dairy powers :D)
    http://www.powerfulyogurt.ie/
    Looks like an alternative to liberte / fage etc.

• Advertisement

Excuse me sir, could you please move that Guinness world record and mind those massive quads for a minute. Now, this is what you are doing wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭COH

For the record he squats 207kg (bar is hollow) and as well as having a crazy deadlift record he has also represented two or three different countries in 2 or 3 different sports is something ludacris. He has some epic stories like tearing a bicep showing off doing pull ups for a stripper, doing a cross country bike race (international event) in east Africa with a swastika on his helmet because he thought it'd be a bit of banter etc... But his squats are indeed sh*t

I told him this many times. He gives precisely zero f*cks about anything as conzy rightly pointed out

haha I thought it might be him

he used to train in the other place before RAW as well and gave Zero ****s too when he would stroll in to the place and start on the lateral pull down machine at the heaviest weight as a warm up

saw him on the tv in the ring for the Macgregor fight too

good guy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

From an article catching up with him a couple of years ago, here is his basic formula for winning races:

1. Sit at the back of the peloton joking around.
    2. Watch for the decisive breakaway move then make a solo blast across.
    3. Go back to joking around in the break and conserving energy again.
    4. With less than one kilometre to go, hit the after burners and go for the finish line.
    5. Fail to cross the finish line ahead of everyone else? Pop a wheelie and go home.

Zero f*cks :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement