Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ford2600 wrote: »
    Earley also reckons the excessive time spent in the gym, possibly doing excessive weights, is also contributing to players burning out at a younger age.
    “The groin and hip injuries, I think goes back to the time in the gym. There needs to more supervision, to get form correct, before you go on to weights. There’s always a rush to get weights on before you actually get your technique and form right. I learnt that myself, even towards the end of my career, trying to do stuff that you probably shouldn’t have been doing. I consider myself to be smart enough to know but I still let myself get caught.”

Interesting comment from a former top GAA player, although I'm not surprised given what I saw in first hand in gaa over the years.

Funny photograph of Earley while I'm off topic

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

I'd say the combination of all training types with a 'touch your toes' approach to mobility and flexibility is inhibiting GAA athletes. You'll all have come across GAA and Soccer guys who have dreadfully tight everywhere but particularly in hips and ankles - even some who never look at a weight.

I'd have to assume that's changing at the very elite level of the game mind, but my point is that pointing at a specific training type and bad technique involved in same ignores the wider general problem that the approach to good movement is generally ignored within the sport, particularly at the lower levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

how do you get a thumb of fat on your plate? just place a thumb sized amount of lard or something? :confused:

Try a tablespoon of olive oil, coconut oil or butter. Or the equivalent of your thumb in nuts. Or avocado.
    Im sorry, I don't quite understand the first sentence. Could you make it more simpler for me please? thanks

Also, Id just like to discuss fruit and vegetables. 5 a day is a myth, eating 5 a day is no better or worse than eating 0 a day

The government guidelines for this 5 a day was just plucked out of thin air

Not even discussing the freshness and poisons and other mind controlling toxins that the government force the farmers to spray on them

just thought I would put that out there

You're discussing multiple ideas there. Which is it? Vegetables have no benefit. Freshness effects their benefit. Toxins effect their benefit.
    DM-BM wrote: »
    They are the John Berardi Precision Nutrition recommendations.

They're not actually.

PN recommends 2 palm size portions of protein, which is essentially one full hand anyway.

They recommend 2 fist sized portion of vegetables (the video says 1 fist sized portion of starchy carbs).

PN recommend 2 cupped handfuls of carbs (I said a big handful of leafy greens on the vid).

It kinda comes back to all being the same anyway, but that's what happens when you try to wrap up "eat real food" in a branded system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

You're discussing multiple ideas there. Which is it? Vegetables have no benefit. Freshness effects their benefit. Toxins effect their benefit.

It is not wrong to raise more than one issue on a single subject.

people that eat vegetables in the western world are deluded. imo opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Elaborate?

Well that's an interesting statement. I'd love to read a post where you flesh it out a bit!

they are different to the ones in non-western countries

Wow.

Interesting. How so?

I cant really explain, its just something I seem to know intuitively

• Advertisement

I cant really explain, its just something I seem to know intuitively

Feed the troooooll.

(I hope you're trolling anyway)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Interesting. How so?

He's right you know. The avocado's in the Dominican Republic are the most anabolic things in the world.

Charles says so.

"I realize how anabolic food is every time I go teach in the Dominican Republic. Last time I taught a Biosignature Modulation course in the DR, the students took my body fat Monday morning. I was at 8% and weighed 198 pounds.

Now, there's no such thing as grain-fed in the DR; they can't afford it, so cows eat grass. And if you eat a mango over there you have to eat it over a sink because it's so juicy. The eggs too are far more anabolic. They're orange and full of omega-3s, like all eggs naturally were thousands of years ago.

A DR avocado tastes like butter it's so rich in nutrients. Eating avocados over here is like eating fiberglass once you've had a DR avocado. It's like having sex with Pamela Anderson then having to have sex with Rosie O'Donnell.

Anyway, five days later, after eating only Dominican Republic foods, I weighed 209 at 6% body fat. My business partner came to finish the seminar, took one look at me and said, "What happened to you?!"

He gained 12lb of lean mass in 5 days thanks to them.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/question_of_strength_october

I think Power Pants is right...

"But when I work in the UK or Ireland, I lose muscle mass and put fat on almost inevitably, even though I try to eat as cleanly as possible. The quality of the food is just piss poor."

Could not have put it better. thanks

Hanley wrote: »
    He's right you know. The avocado's in the Dominican Republic are the most anabolic things in the world.

Charles says so.

"I realize how anabolic food is every time I go teach in the Dominican Republic. Last time I taught a Biosignature Modulation course in the DR, the students took my body fat Monday morning. I was at 8% and weighed 198 pounds.

Now, there's no such thing as grain-fed in the DR; they can't afford it, so cows eat grass. And if you eat a mango over there you have to eat it over a sink because it's so juicy. The eggs too are far more anabolic. They're orange and full of omega-3s, like all eggs naturally were thousands of years ago.

A DR avocado tastes like butter it's so rich in nutrients. Eating avocados over here is like eating fiberglass once you've had a DR avocado. It's like having sex with Pamela Anderson then having to have sex with Rosie O'Donnell.

Anyway, five days later, after eating only Dominican Republic foods, I weighed 209 at 6% body fat. My business partner came to finish the seminar, took one look at me and said, "What happened to you?!"

He gained 12lb of lean mass in 5 days thanks to them.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/question_of_strength_october

I think Power Pants is right...

"But when I work in the UK or Ireland, I lose muscle mass and put fat on almost inevitably, even though I try to eat as cleanly as possible. The quality of the food is just piss poor."

I didn't even read it but I'll hold my hand up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

misslt wrote: »
    I did a spin class for the first time today.

I did not care for the experience and have no wish to repeat it.

Starting Starting Strength with a new trainer next week. :eek:

In fairness, it can totally depend on who is giving the class. I *hate* most spinning classes but if you find a really good instructor it can be awesome, honestly! :pac::pac:

Serious question lads. How do you strengthen hamstrings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

9bred4 wrote: »
    Serious question lads. How do you strengthen hamstrings?

Glute Ham Raises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

And Straight-leg Deadlifts.

Romanian Deadlifts to a lesser extent because they're more glute-dominant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Glute ham raises make me cry. Even thinking of them makes me well up

Thanks lads, have hamstring problems stemming from weak hams to quads ratio! Need to start building them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

Nevermind

• Advertisement

mfp says 300g chicken is 310 cals and 72g protein

250g striploin steak is 500cals and 59g protein which seems like a slightly worse calories to protein ratio

so
    i feel like chicken tonight
    LIKE CHICKEN TONIGHT

steak tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Gained 3kg over 2 weeks. Was wondering what the **** was going on as I've been cutting. Realised I started back on Creatine recently. Grand!

does creatine make you gain weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

bluewolf wrote: »
    does creatine make you gain weight

Well it means your body retains more water so yeah. I doubt it would cause 3kg of weight gain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Went to a powerlifting competition today, first ever comp, dropped the weight quite a bit to make sure I got each attempt on the squat.

3rd attempt was 125kg, flew down and up, delighted with myself, until I realised I re racked the bar without the command and failed.

Have tomorrow to redeem myself in the bench and deadlift and hit my 400kg goal for a first comp

Well it means your body retains more water so yeah. I doubt it would cause 3kg of weight gain though.

A few other factors might have come into it but it's definitely part of it. Doesn't it lead to like 3 to 5 litres of water retention?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    A few other factors might have come into it but it's definitely part of it. Doesn't it lead to like 3 to 5 litres of water retention?

Well it retains more water in your muscles so in theory if you have more muscle, more water will be stored and weight gain will be higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

250g striploin steak is 500cals and 59g protein which seems like a slightly worse calories to protein ratio

so
    LIKE CHICKEN TONIGHT

steak tomorrow

Steak is soooo much more tastyful though

Went to a powerlifting competition today, first ever comp, dropped the weight quite a bit to make sure I got each attempt on the squat.

3rd attempt was 125kg, flew down and up, delighted with myself, until I realised I re racked the bar without the command and failed.

Have tomorrow to redeem myself in the bench and deadlift and hit my 400kg goal for a first comp

So many people made silly mistakes that cost them lifts today. I'm in the midle of making a video on it right now while my mind's fresh.

so
    LIKE CHICKEN TONIGHT

steak tomorrow

The way to take any negative comparison out of it is to have both at the same time.

You're welcome.

• Advertisement

The way to take any negative comparison out of it is to have both at the same time.

You're welcome.

I'm so tired at the moment I nearly didnt bother with any of it.
    I only started tracking again on MFP this week, I don't know if it's too low cals, aftermath of bug, whats going on
    I have dinner now though

I'm really enjoying watching the live stream of the idfpa competition, it's great to watch
    saw hanley hanging around at the back there too earlier o/

some guy just made a very heavy looking lift i was positive he wasnt coming back up from!

I'd a burger toniht with beef and chicken.

Jussayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Ive been on it two weeks now and havent noticed any gain at all!

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd a burger toniht with beef and chicken.

Jussayin.

http://www.edvardmunch.org/images/paintings/the-scream.jpg

VW 1 wrote: »
    Ive been on it two weeks now and havent noticed any gain at all!

How much and how often do you take it? It takes a few weeks for your body to saturate with water and for the strength gains to be seen. You should also try to increase your water intake a bit.

How much and how often do you take it? It takes a few weeks for your body to saturate with water and for the strength gains to be seen. You should also try to increase your water intake a bit.

10g a day. Usually intake around 2-3l of water per day, which hasn't increased since I started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

VW 1 wrote: »
    10g a day. Usually intake around 2-3l of water per day, which hasn't increased since I started it.

Do you lose noticeable size if you go off it?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do you lose noticeable size if you go off it?

Only been taking it two weeks, so no idea yet as to any effects

VW 1 wrote:
    Only been taking it two weeks, so no idea yet as to any effects

There are certain people that are non reactors to it... I don't think that's the right word.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There are certain people that are non reactors to it... I don't think that's the right word.

Non responders? I think it's about 20%.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote:
    Non responders? I think it's about 20%.

That's the one! 20% seems high though. I've never seen a sourced number for it. Everyone seems to have their own number between 3 and 20%

They're selling swedish glace in my local shop now. Yessss
    All i need now is lf liberte and I'm set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That's the one! 20% seems high though. I've never seen a sourced number for it. Everyone seems to have their own number between 3 and 20%

But does creatine actually build muscle or just increase the muscle size with water retention? And when you stop taking it do you go back to the before size?

But does creatine actually build muscle or just increase the muscle size with water retention? And when you stop taking it do you go back to the before size?

It facilitates building muscle but it increase muscle size due to water retention, afaik

Creatine increases intramuscular ATP storage, which allows you to do marginally more work.

That additional work is the stimulus for growth/strength increase - but it's not really THAT significant.

The acute size increase is a result of increased water storage which will go away 7-10 days after the cessation of creatine supplementation.

It's a great tool for a couple of extra reps, or as an aid during dieting, but it's not the maker or breaker of teh gainz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People get bogged down to much in the "it's just water not muscle" point.
    Normal muscle, natural muscle, whatever you want to call it. Is mostly water to begin with. It's not like it's dead weight, the water has a function.

Mellor wrote: »
    People get bogged down to much in the "it's just water not muscle" point.
    Normal muscle, natural muscle, whatever you want to call it. Is mostly water to begin with. It's not like it's dead weight, the water has a function.

It's cos Irish Water are charging for gainz.

Lads how do you use creatine? I have a packet or two from myprotein but I've never used it because I imagine it doesn't taste great plain. Do I mix it with something?

9bred4 wrote: »
    Lads how do you use creatine? I have a packet or two from myprotein but I've never used it because I imagine it doesn't taste great plain. Do I mix it with something?

I toss it in my whey protein shake with some milk, simple.

And that's not bad for you or anything?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement