Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

9bred4 wrote:
    And that's not bad for you or anything?

Why would it be? It doesn't taste particularly bad by itself anyway. Just very plain i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

I dunno I just thought maybe it's bad to mix supps! If not that's fine! Creatine cycle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

9bred4 wrote: »
    I dunno I just thought maybe it's bad to mix supps! If not that's fine! Creatine cycle :D

Plenty of the supplement suppliers sell products that contain both whey and creatine. It's not a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Creatine is also in meat, which contains protein (aminos), so nature mixes them together too :-) Mix away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I tried it recently but got terrible stomach cramps - any advice? I have heard using hot water helps it dissolve/absorb better?

It can be a bit 'gritty'...though maybe that's just the stuff I got before (USN).

Regular shaking before taking, I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I tried it recently but got terrible stomach cramps - any advice? I have heard using hot water helps it dissolve/absorb better?

I get bad stomach cramps when taking it so I have given up on it. Have tried a few different brands and every time about 6 or 7 days into it my stomach starts cramping regardless of how much water im taking on or what I take it with/ when I take it. It just doesn't seem to agree with me unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

put it in tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

At one point, before early morning training I was mixing aminos, creatine and beta alanine. A lot of the time it messed my stomach after training (I you know what I mean).
    I stopped doing that obviously, but never found out what was doing it as they are all fine alone.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I find the "creapure" brand creatine dissolves better. Not exactly worth the 2-3X price difference. It can be a bit gritty, I usually lob it in the shake im having post workout or just put a teaspoon in a glass of water and down it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

9bred4 wrote: »

One doesn't "cycle" creatine. One takes it or not.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

put it in tea

I accidentally through my creatine into a cup of espresso this morning instead of the glass beside it. Didn't taste too bad actually :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

As far as I know combining caffeine and creatine has a negative effect compared to separate, as in it makes it less effective.

http://examine.com/faq/does-caffeine-counteract-creatine.html"]Indeed
    Whether the approx. 70mg that would have been in my espresso would counteract the 5mg of creatine is doubtful, but it's not something I'll be repeating anyway. I was just happy I didn't have to throw it down the sink!

Zombienosh wrote:
    As far as I know combining caffeine and creatine has a negative effect compared to separate, as in it makes it less effective.

Didn't examine debunk this?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Didn't examine debunk this?

It was examine that shows it.
    http://examine.com/faq/does-caffeine-counteract-creatine.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Kedgeree PR the other night, ate 400 grams (about 2k calories, of which 140 was protein) in about 10 minutes and didnt get indigestion.

"It might counteract creatine in regards to intermittent maximal muscle contraction as assessed by leg extension, but the evidence is limited to one study. Additionally, when measuring performance (sprints, usually) where repeated short-term muscle contractions are the concern there is no difference between Creatine or Creatine+Caffeine."

A spoon of creatine in the coffee a day, keeps the leg extension machine away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Showed a load of TY students around the Labs and facilities of the institute today, the only question I got asked was , How much do I bench...

• Advertisement

papu wrote: »
    Showed a load of TY students around the Labs and facilities of the institute today, the only question I got asked was , How much do I bench...

The only science that counts is Bro science.

#swoleshaming #swoleacceptance

"How much do you weigh?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

"How much do you weigh?"

784 Newtons on Earth

784 Newtons on Earth
    No, no. That's your answer when you're asked how much you bench.

And now I've got a load of lame physics jokes flying around in my head.

By 'lame' I mean brilliant.

What do you get if you mix sulphur, tungsten and silver?
    SWAG

#DownWithTheLingo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

How much do you beryllium nitrogen carbon hydrogen, like?

• Advertisement

How much do you beryllium nitrogen carbon hydrogen, like?

Inb4 the embarrassment kicks in and you delete ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

Has anyone tried both the ON Nutrition Mint-Chocolate whey protein powder and the MyProtein of the same flavour? The ON one is really ice but expensive so I was wondering if the myprotein one was any good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Has anyone tried both the ON Nutrition Mint-Chocolate whey protein powder and the MyProtein of the same flavour? The ON one is really ice but expensive so I was wondering if the myprotein one was any good

Haven't tried the MP one, but I've tried around 4 or 5 flavours from them (strawberry, sated caramel, latte, rhubarb and custard) and all flavours have been nice.

Rhubarb and custard is the clear winner. Currently making protein ice cream.
    Icy gains in the sun FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mellor wrote: »
    Haven't tried the MP one, but I've tried around 4 or 5 flavours from them (strawberry, sated caramel, latte, rhubarb and custard) and all flavours have been nice.

Rhubarb and custard is the clear winner. Currently making protein ice cream.
    Icy gains in the sun FTW

The Sun....I saw it once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

First Open Workout released:

9 min AMRAP of:

15 Toes to Bar (knees to elbows for scaled division)
    10 Deadlifts @ 52kgs / 34kgs (39kgs / 25kgs for scaled division)
    5 Snatches @ 52kgs / 34kgs (5 Ground to Overhead @ 39kgs / 25kgs for scaled division)

Followed immediately by 15.1a (clock begins @ 9:01):

6 minutes to establish a max Clean and Jerk (Power Cleans / Presses allowed)

===============

I like it!! Going to give the scaled version a shot tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Re: Open workout.

I don't like the sound of that at all at all tbh. It looks to me like a great recipe for injury, attempting heavy C+J when you're knackered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Re: Open workout.

I don't like the sound of that at all at all tbh. It looks to me like a great recipe for injury, attempting heavy C+J when you're knackered.

Most amateur CF'ers tekkers is bad enough for fatigue not to be an issue :D:D

...I actually like it as a workout. I think it throws down the gauntlet pretty hard versus previous years.

Hanley wrote: »
    Most amateur CF'ers tekkers is bad enough for fatigue not to be an issue :D:D

...I actually like it as a workout. I think it throws down the gauntlet pretty hard versus previous years.

Please don't say "tekker".

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Please don't say "tekker".

Is that you speaking as a mod, or an anonymous internet sh1te bag?

Is that you speaking as a mod, or an anonymous internet sh1te bag?

Sh1te bag. If you keep saying it though, I'll find a way to permaban you.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Sh1te bag. If you keep saying it though, I'll find a way to permaban you.

You wouldn't be the first, and won't be the last! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The presence of a scaled division allows them to let the brakes off for the Open Events imo. Time to stop pretending that we're all in the same competition. I'm a fan of Crossfit and I'll give the scaled workouts a go, but I'm not going to try and pretend that I'm doing competitive crossfit!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The presence of a scaled division allows them to let the brakes off for the Open Events imo. Time to stop pretending that we're all in the same competition. I'm a fan of Crossfit and I'll give the scaled workouts a go, but I'm not going to try and pretend that I'm doing competitive crossfit! exercise

FYP.

Got my captains of crush 2.5 from amazon today. I over estimated my grip strength by a large margin! But at least now I have something to work towards right... RIGHT...!?

Got my captains of crush 2.5 from amazon today. I over estimated my grip strength by a large margin! But at least now I have something to work towards right... RIGHT...!?

You can imagine my horror when I misread that as candy crush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What's the strongest resistance you can get in those?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's the strongest resistance you can get in those?

365lb/165.5kg according to wikipedia.

365lb/165.5kg according to wikipedia.

You rated your purchase at 2.5. What's the highest?

You rated your purchase at 2.5. What's the highest?

4=365lb/165.5kg

4=365lb/165.5kg

I've just bought the 2.5 so. Thanks for your help

I've just bought the 2.5 so. Thanks for your help

Let me know how you get on. I can't close the thing and I consider my numbers to be alright!

Let me know how you get on. I can't close the thing and I consider my numbers to be alright!

I'm can't lift very heavy but for some reason I've a very strong grip. I'll keep ye updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

I'm can't lift very heavy but for some reason I've a very strong grip.

Thats odd, usually they go hand in hand. When im deadlifting over 160kg my grip usually fails after the 4th or 5th rep, I tie myself in (whenever I remember to bring me wraps) My body got stronger with my grip. How do you figure out your grip strength without lifting something to your limit with a number written on the side of it???

househero wrote: »
    Thats odd, usually they go hand in hand. When im deadlifting over 160kg my grip usually fails after the 4th or 5th rep, I tie myself in (whenever I remember to bring me wraps) My body got stronger with my grip. How do you figure out your grip strength without lifting something to your limit with a number written on the side of it???

When I say grip strength I'm not talking about holding a bar for lifting. People I've grappled against have always commented on my grip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

When I say grip strength I'm not talking about holding a bar for lifting. People I've grappled against have always commented on my grip

Fair enough. I have always associated grip strength with weight lifting. There are defo other kinds of strength, which might explain why you think you are not strong but have the handshake of the incredible hulk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement