Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

anybody have a link to a good German Body Comp program (or even better a link to designing a personalised one?)

Have googled it and found loads of variations....anybody have any they tried and saw results with?

just finished up hanleys 6 week strength challenge and have afew weeks to kill in the gym before holidays and like the sound of GBC, might even lose afew pounds!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    anybody have a link to a good German Body Comp program (or even better a link to designing a personalised one?)

Have googled it and found loads of variations....anybody have any they tried and saw results with?

just finished up hanleys 6 week strength challenge and have afew weeks to kill in the gym before holidays and like the sound of GBC, might even lose afew pounds!

Gotcha covered, as usual: http://revolutionfitness.ie/on-gbc-and-pha/

If you want the "real" thing - Get Poliquin's book on it.

Has anyone ever used pullup grips for bar work?

Has anyone ever used pullup grips for bar work?

I've used similar for KB work.

They're only really important if kipping or adjusting hand position mid set as it's the rotation and twisting that'll tear your grip.

If doing dead hang pull ups or russian style swings, they're not necessary.

...but it really depends on what you mean by "bar work"?

Hanley wrote: »
    I've used similar for KB work.

They're only really important if kipping or adjusting hand position mid set as it's the rotation and twisting that'll tear your grip.

If doing dead hang pull ups or russian style swings, they're not necessary.

...but it really depends on what you mean by "bar work"?

I am nowhere near ready to do kipping unfortunately. I'm just working on strict pullups for now, also for hanging knee raises and toes to bar, my hands do hurt from doing them and it's usually my grip that causes me to drop mid set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I am nowhere near ready to do kipping unfortunately. I'm just working on strict pullups for now, also for hanging knee raises and toes to bar, my hands do hurt from doing them and it's usually my grip that causes me to drop mid set.

You don't need them then, they don't improve your grip. They just reduce wear on the hand through movement. You could look at some grip strength tools, like Captains of Crush.

The pain, the pain of it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dealz are selling protein bars and drinks now. The drinks are powder in bottles you fill with water. Neither are particularly cheap, just thought it odd when I saw them.

http://www.dealz.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=protein
    it's usually my grip that causes me to drop mid set.
    If the bar is smooth gloves might help. I can get a few more reps with gloves on.

You don't need them then, they don't improve your grip. They just reduce wear on the hand through movement. You could look at some grip strength tools, like Captains of Crush.

Sorry, I probably didn't explain it right, my grip is strong, but I'm probably not gripping correctly maybe? My hands pinch and because it hurts I drop.

It's early, I haven't had enough coffee yet so I'm probably still not explaining it right :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sorry, I probably didn't explain it right, my grip is strong, but I'm probably not gripping correctly maybe? My hands pinch and because it hurts I drop.

It's early, I haven't had enough coffee yet so I'm probably still not explaining it right :/

I thought that's what you meant. It's not grip strength that's the problem but soreness on your hands from their movement on the bar.

I thought that's what you meant. It's not grip strength that's the problem but soreness on your hands from their movement on the bar.

Uh huh.

It may be that my movement is wrong even. Or perhaps I just have fat hands....

(actually my hands are the only part of me that are skinny :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

try grip the bar at the base of your fingers not on the padded part at top of your palm, it's the bar pinching those pads that causes callouses and pain

final-grip-demo-resized1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'd say that's exactly my problem!

I've changed to a hook grip for lifting and it has helped so I clearly just need to apply that to my pull ups too!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I presume everyone saw Clarence's recent video of the 250kg paused ATG squat?

Then he posts this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

interesting, see once he breaks parallel he allows his knees to move forward, it seems to remove the ass tucking/butt winking/what ever you call it.

Thud wrote: »
    try grip the bar at the base of your fingers not on the padded part at top of your palm, it's the bar pinching those pads that causes callouses and pain

final-grip-demo-resized1.png

Has anyone tried deadlifting heavy weights with this and had success?

...I just can't imagine it working.

JJayoo wrote: »
    interesting, see once he breaks parallel he allows his knees to move forward, it seems to remove the ass tucking/butt winking/what ever you call it.

Yeah he has ludicrous ankle mobility and its interesting the way he "clunks" forward toward the bottom. In the description it says hes 100kg now (up from 93kg a few weeks back) serious weight gain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Hanley wrote: »
    Has anyone tried deadlifting heavy weights with this and had success?

...I just can't imagine it working.

With a sample size of n=1 I can categorically state that it does not work.

conzy wrote: »
    I presume everyone saw Clarence's recent video of the 250kg paused ATG squat?

Then he posts this

Holy jaysus

I wanna squat 250

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

JJayoo wrote: »

Speaking of buttwinking, I'm reading conflicting opinions lately about how bad it is,
    Some people are very anti any sort of pelvic tilt, whereas some say there is an acceptable level...

what's the general consensus here?

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Speaking of buttwinking, I'm reading conflicting opinions lately about how bad it is,
    Some people are very anti any sort of pelvic tilt, whereas some say there is an acceptable level...

My thinking is that you can probably get away with it. You might not do any damage.

But if you can try and address the reasons why it's happening, why wouldn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Finished a set of 4 at 150kg deadlift last night. Counted the plates again cause it looked funny. 160kg. Wahey easy 10kg! Not a pb or anything but still nice grip improvement considering the bar was crap and before I could only manange 150x4 on an alright bar with no grip aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Zombienosh wrote: »

If your low back hurts during or after squatting and you have some movement, cut it out. If your back isn't hurting and feels good, you're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Does anyone know if mentally exerting yourself burns additional calories? I have a new job that requires me to spend nearly all day selling face to face with strangers. I'm generally an introvert so i'm finding it incredibly draining. By the end of the day I just want to lie down and eat junk food.

I remember hearing before that champion chess players can burn off thousands of calories during a match. Never looked into it though. Anyone able to enlighten me?

CM24 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if mentally exerting yourself burns additional calories? I have a new job that requires me to spend nearly all day selling face to face with strangers. I'm generally an introvert so i'm finding it incredibly draining. By the end of the day I just want to lie down and eat junk food.

I remember hearing before that champion chess players can burn off thousands of calories during a match. Never looked into it though. Anyone able to enlighten me?

My understanding is that mental 'exertion' requires more glucose for the brain and so insulin stays a bit higher for longer which is probably why you feel hungrier.

But you won't be burning many calories by it.

Unless you get nervous and you're running for the jacks a lot.

Studying makes you hungry but you don't burn off calories so you have to resist the urge
    That's what i remember cos i was wondering the same and looked it up

It's a stressful situation, and under that your body craves sugar.

You may be burning more calories if you're on your feet more and making gestures / non conscious hand movements tho.

...but to the best of my knowledge "thinking" alone doesn't burn a significant amount of extra kcals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Hey,didnt think this needed its own thread but heres my question.
    I have just recorded to New pb videos in 2 excercises and want to upload and embed them into my training log like some others have done. How would i do this? what should i use to upload the video from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Stick them on youtube and link them from there.

• Advertisement

I would never have thought of YouTube...I'll do that then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I joined a new gym based purely on the fact it's open early enough that I can go before work.
    It's only now after I joined I've realised it's probably the best gym within 80 miles and is feckin brilliant. It's even got a metal log. Result!

What gym is it

bluewolf wrote: »
    What gym is it

STALKER.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

bluewolf wrote: »
    What gym is it

Rom Sligo. So long as you're not looking for 12 different pec Dec machines it has pretty much everything you could ask for. Even for strongman training all its missing is atlas stones.
    What's brilliant is the energy in the place. I wandered in with my grumpy head n everyone else is all positive and having the Craic, you can't help but be in good form.
    It's obvious the trainers are into it too which is great

STALKER.jpg

Crunch4lyfe

Especially if they got more squat racks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Knee feels stiff after last Friday's squat session. RICE over the weekend has done nothing. Physio booked for later this week. Scared sh1tless.

No knee aids. Just tons of muscle tightness.

Loads more mobility work, be grand like

No knee aids. Just tons of muscle tightness.

Sounds like H.I.Knee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sounds like H.I.Knee

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm watching my 4 year old son doing assisted pull-ups in his gymnastics, it's brilliant to watch.

My next mission is to find an Olympic lifting class for him :)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm watching my 4 year old son doing assisted pull-ups in his gymnastics, it's brilliant to watch.

My next mission is to find an Olympic lifting class for him :)

Go forth and build a clarence beater :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Daily reminder: don't neglect your core like I did.

tumblr_n0h7zacrdf1rai1iho1_500.jpg

Anyone here seen clarences most recent video...like wow 240 for 5x5

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Anyone here seen clarences most recent video...like wow 240 for 5x5

Yup. It's a cuppla pages back in this thread.

Savage stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Savage stuff.

Who's this Clarence fellow?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »

A junior weightlifter from kerry,he's a beast :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Google Clarence Kennedy and have a look at his yt channel 'Clarence0'. He's an unbelievable athlete and watching his videos will amaze you and make you feel like crap at the same time.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Are your knees meant to go like that at the bottom of a squat? Seems to jerk forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Savage stuff.

I train with him a bit. He was doing 250 for multiple sets of 3 on Thursday night. Don't think he was videoing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

9bred4 wrote: »
    Are your knees meant to go like that at the bottom of a squat? Seems to jerk forward.

He's going ATG so he moves forward in order to minimise 'buttwink'. It requires incredible ankle mobility which you can see just by pausing the video at the bottom and seeing how far his knees go over his toes.

He's had big knee problems before but he's said it was purely down to overtraining (squatting heavy 7 days a week is borderline suicidal) and not really anything to do with his form. Plenty of olympic lifters extend their knees way over their toes, 'divebomb' on the descent, cave in their knees slightly on the ascent and also jerk forward, without getting any injuries at all so I doubt his problems were to do with poor form.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement