Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ya but think of the epic calves that lurk beneath the flab.

In other random news, I have grown frustrated with the refusal of my kiwis to ripen, so I have blended all 15, skin and all, into a saucepan full of green slop, Fcuk you Supervalue for selling me **** kiwis.

Feels like I'm drinking hair.

Get a paper bag. Pop in a ripe banana or two. Pop in a couple of the kiwis. Watch them ripen before your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Get a paper bag. Pop in a ripe banana or two. Pop in a couple of the kiwis. Watch them ripen before your eyes.

Kiwis are gone, never to be seen again, well until tomorrow at some stage when they shall make a triumphant return and join kevin Costner in Waterworld

JJayoo wrote: »
    Kiwis are gone, never to be seen again, well until tomorrow at some stage when they shall make a triumphant return.

For the next time.

For this time, maybe buy some extra soft toilet roll.

For the next time.

For this time, maybe buy some extra soft toilet roll.

I'm hoping the Kiwi skins will self wipe as they exit, leaving me clean and exfoliated

Hanley wrote: »
    FFS shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I was told to stick with Power Perfects unless I plan on squatting over 160kg and I don't think that's going to be happening anytime soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was told to stick with Power Perfects unless I plan on squatting over 160kg and I don't think that's going to be happening anytime soon!
    I find that a bit odd. What was the logic behind that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Mellor wrote: »
    I find that a bit odd. What was the logic behind that.

Yes me too. The Power Perfects are good for a hell of a lot more than 160kg. Perhaps there's a bit of confusion between the Power Perfect and the Powerlift shoes. The Powerlifts are more of a hybrid shoe designed for more general training whereas the Power Perfect are an all out weightlifting shoe. I suppose it doesn't help that they look quite similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

My bad!

Powerlifts not Powerperfects.

Just as an aside, the heel on one of my Adipowers cracked yesterday. It's bad enough that the heel separates when I place my weight on the heel. Pretty disappointed considering I only got them in August last year. I'm waiting to hear back from the shop about it, hopefully Adidas are offering something under warranty.

So for now I'm back to my trusty Power Perfects

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Got my jaybirds. No more listening to clowns in the gym messing around in dumbbell area.

I'd forgotten how unpleasant it is to roll the vastus medialis - which was probably why it needed such a going over.

Teardrop is pretty appropriate.

I'd forgotten how unpleasant it is to roll the vastus medialis - which was probably why it needed such a going over.

Teardrop is pretty appropriate.

It's pronounced leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Yep. Where you the one I was talking to before about them? They are damn hard to close alright!

What way do you use yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What way do you use yours?

I don't! 2.5 was way too high to start. Plan on working my way up to it. Just need to order a different size now. 1.5 or 1. Not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Rory McIlroy's training.

The balancing on the gym ball at the end looks difficult and daft.

cloudatlas wrote: »

I imagine the cables strapped to the vest make it a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Has anyone tried either the lemon meringue or banana fudge flavoured whey from BulkPowders?

Am putting an order in soon and wanted to try something other than my usual chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Has anyone tried either the lemon meringue or banana fudge flavoured whey from BulkPowders?

Am putting an order in soon and wanted to try something other than my usual chocolate.

Ive had banana fudge. Tastes like it sounds really, banana and toffee together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Rory McIlroy's training.

there are lads on a junior b hurling team somewhere doing more serious training than that.

they just don't have a huge nike contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    there are lads on a junior b hurling team somewhere doing more serious training than that.

The difference is Rory's only doing s&c work to marginally enhance his performance in a 100% skill sport that he was already one of the best in the world at before he started lifting weights.

Hurling requires a huge amount of physical fitness just to get through 70 minutes in a match situation. Being stronger, faster, fitter, more mobile etc., will hugely affect a player's performance, so is it really surprising that you might find low-level hurlers that could beat McIlroy in a bench-off?

Another revelation for you: those same junior B lads probably lift more than Mo Farah and Rob Heffernan too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

nice_guy80 wrote: »

It's a fairly simple montage. Hard to know what training he actually does.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The difference is Rory's only doing s&c work to marginally enhance his performance in a 100% skill sport that he was already one of the best in the world at before he started lifting weights.

Hurling requires a huge amount of physical fitness just to get through 70 minutes in a match situation. Being stronger, faster, fitter, more mobile etc., will hugely affect a player's performance, so is it really surprising that you might find low-level hurlers that could beat McIlroy in a bench-off?

Another revelation for you: those same junior B lads probably lift more than Mo Farah and Rob Heffernan too.

Too intelligent for boards. G'way outta that.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

+1

On the Barbell Shrugged podcast the other day I heard something like:
    If you get injured in the weightroom lifting weights and thats not your primary sport your a dumbáss

So there is obviously a point where risk of injury outweighs the benefit, and for Golf this point obviously arrives a lot sooner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He even says it himself in that clip, that he's doing the little bit he needs to do in order to have improved mobility and stability to play golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

DylanJM wrote: »
    Just as an aside, the heel on one of my Adipowers cracked yesterday. It's bad enough that the heel separates when I place my weight on the heel. Pretty disappointed considering I only got them in August last year. I'm waiting to hear back from d8fitness about it, hopefully Adidas are offering something under warranty.

So for now I'm back to my trusty Power Perfects

That's lame. I've seen a few lads with split adipowers, the quality definitely seems to be lower than the rest of the range. power perfects seem to be invincible though.

Edwardius wrote: »
    That's lame. I've seen a few lads with split adipowers, the quality definitely seems to be lower than the rest of the range. power perfects seem to be invincible though.

Aye, it's very lame.

Got an email back today and apparently Adidas won't replace them which is disappointing to say the least. I don't think it's too much to ask that a €180 pair of shoes las longer than ~7 months.

Aye, it's very lame.

Got an email back today and apparently Adidas won't replace them which is disappointing to say the least. I don't think it's too much to ask that a €180 pair of shoes las longer than ~7 months.
    Was that from the supplier or addidas directly?

Aye, it's very lame.

Supply of goods and services asked. Fit for purpose and what not. Surely a case under that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Supply of goods and services asked. Fit for purpose and what not. Surely a case under that.

+1 Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act
    http://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/know-your-rights/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Highly doubtful he'd have a case. The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act says that the goods would have to be merchantable quality, fit for purpose etc. but afaik that would only apply to when the goods were sold or shortly thereafter ie he must've noticed the goods were faulty shortly after receiving them for him to have a case. 7 months is a considerable length of time -not for the lifespan of adipowers obviously- but in the eyes of a court, it'd be long enough for adidas to escape blame.

Unless their warranty says that they'd cover him for anything >7 months. it's highly unlikely he'd get anywhere.

The time lapse isn't an issue. The intended purpose and the price paid are indicators of what's a reasonable life span and for both 7 months is nothing.

It's the supplier rather than adidas that need to be contacted. They can claim back off adidas ultimately but contact the place where the shoes were bought.

If there's no joy there and you bought with a card, contact the card company about the possibility of a chargeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

If they are damaged after 7 months, there is a case to be made that they were not of merchantable quality imo.

Got my jaybirds. No more listening to clowns in the gym messing around in dumbbell area.

Bluebuds X or Freedom Spirit.
    Whats the difference, is it worth the price hike?

Was that from the supplier or addidas directly?
    +1 Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act
    http://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/know-your-rights/
    Highly doubtful he'd have a case. The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act says that the goods would have to be merchantable quality, fit for purpose etc. but afaik that would only apply to when the goods were sold or shortly thereafter ie he must've noticed the goods were faulty shortly after receiving them for him to have a case. 7 months is a considerable length of time -not for the lifespan of adipowers obviously- but in the eyes of a court, it'd be long enough for adidas to escape blame.

Unless their warranty says that they'd cover him for anything >7 months. it's highly unlikely he'd get anywhere.
    The time lapse isn't an issue. The intended purpose and the price paid are indicators of what's a reasonable life span and for both 7 months is nothing.

It's the supplier rather than adidas that need to be contacted. They can claim back off adidas ultimately but contact the place where the shoes were bought.

If there's no joy there and you bought with a card, contact the card company about the possibility of a chargeback.
    If they are damaged after 7 months, there is a case to be made that they were not of merchantable quality imo.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

I contacted the seller and let them know of the problem. They then contacted their supplier (Adidas I suppose) who said they wouldn't replace them, especially considering they were older than 6 months. I've had nothing but great service from the seller over the last few years so I've no reason to believe that this isn't the case. I don't really want to leave the seller out of pocket as it's Adidas's problem and they should be the one to sort it.

They've offered me a pair at cost price but as you can imagine I am not in a hurry to buy Adidas again any time soon.

• Advertisement

I don't really want to leave the seller out of pocket as it's Adidas's problem and they should be the one to sort it.

I appreciate that but the chargeback route would pretty much be back-to-back insofar as your card provider and they chase it up with the comapny who looks after the processing of the seller's card transactions. In that instance, they can do the same.

No harm giving them a heads up if you want to continue dealing with them but they shouldn't be losing out because they can go about recouping from Adidas which they may have had to do previously anyway.

I'd also find out who the contact in Adidas that the seller was in touch with and contact them and ask them why they charge €180 for weightlifting shoes that they only believe have a lifespan of 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Let's say you have a skinny friend that wants to bulk up. I mentioned couple of high calorie foods that he should snack on. Trail mix with raisins and dark chocolate, for instance. Also, peanut butter.

Now, he tells me he often feels bloated for hours after eating and just can't bring himself to stuff more down his throat.

Just want to get some opinions on a few things.

A- Should he be eating the ''roasted,salted'' mixed nuts that come out of a packet or the normal, more expensive nuts. I know the packaged ones are less healthy, since they're roasted in vegetable oil and all that. But, they're also sooo easy to eat in large quantities. Once you eat a handful it's so hard not to go back for more. Now I suspect in his case that might be a good thing, since it'll help him bulk up. Which should I recommend?

Same goes for the peanut butter. The one with the salt and sugar is much more addictive than the natural one. Which should I recommend?

Obviously I'm not going to recommend he does a ''dirty bulk'' on McDonalds and KFC, but would the small amount of sugar and shi** in the nuts and peanut butter have much of a detrimental effect?

B- What other healthy-ish foods would be good for bulking up. I know the old ''GOMAD'' diet can work, but I think since he has problems with feeling bloated that's not a great idea. How about having a shake of coconut milk with some protein added, several times a day? That should be quite a lot of easily digestible, healthy calories, right?

He could drink his calories. Oats, peanut butter, milk and whey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If eating nuts I'd be inclined to avoid ones cooked in some low quality vegetable oil.

On nuts in general easy to over the omega 6 fats, have a listen here

http://sigmanutrition.com/eating-too-many-nuts/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

+1 to drinking cals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

conzy wrote: »

On the Barbell Shrugged podcast

Is this any good?

Or any other recommendations for similar podcasts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

link_2007 wrote: »
    Is this any good?

They have good guests and there is usually some good / interesting info but they tend to frequently interrupt their guests to tell their own deeply uninteresting stories and go off topic a lot.

I think 'The Barbell 1 Show' tends to be good in terms of serious content.

CM24 wrote: »
    Let's say you have a skinny friend that wants to bulk up. I mentioned couple of high calorie foods that he should snack on. Trail mix with raisins and dark chocolate, for instance. Also, peanut butter.

Now, he tells me he often feels bloated for hours after eating and just can't bring himself to stuff more down his throat.

A- Should he be eating the ''roasted,salted'' mixed nuts that come out of a packet or the normal, more expensive nuts. I know the packaged ones are less healthy, since they're roasted in vegetable oil and all that. But, they're also sooo easy to eat in large quantities. Once you eat a handful it's so hard not to go back for more. Now I suspect in his case that might be a good thing, since it'll help him bulk up. Which should I recommend?

Same goes for the peanut butter. The one with the salt and sugar is much more addictive than the natural one. Which should I recommend?

Obviously I'm not going to recommend he does a ''dirty bulk'' on McDonalds and KFC, but would the small amount of sugar and shi** in the nuts and peanut butter have much of a detrimental effect?

B- What other healthy-ish foods would be good for bulking up. I know the old ''GOMAD'' diet can work, but I think since he has problems with feeling bloated that's not a great idea. How about having a shake of coconut milk with some protein added, several times a day? That should be quite a lot of easily digestible, healthy calories, right?

Just as a random one here - he may have some problem with fat digestion. It's not unusual that someone who hasn't eaten much fat before can start to struggle when you incrase significantly like with trail mix etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Steak and eggs. If he's low on calories after that, butter the steaks.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

link_2007 wrote: »
    Is this any good?

Just happened to listen to one the other day. It is a bit like lloyd said alright.

My staple health / fitness podcasts are Sigma Nutrition and Ben Coomber Radio. Although these are more focused on nutrition / wellness they both have very good coaches / athletes on a lot of the time

3x per day;

150-200g Greek yoghurt + 50-100g oats + 50g dark chocolate and wash it down with a 50g protein shake.

Someone figure out the kcals on that. I'd say it's around 500/shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Just as a random one here - he may have some problem with fat digestion. It's not unusual that someone who hasn't eaten much fat before can start to struggle when you incrase significantly like with trail mix etc.

Interesting, have never really heard about that.

Anyway, apologies.The way I worded my post might have given the wrong message. When I said ''Now, he tells me he always feels bloated''. I didn't mean he feels like this since he started eating all the nuts. I only met him today and he told me that eating a lot in general just makes him feel bloated.

Hopefully he'll be fine with the extra nuts and peanut butter etc. I saw on Dominic's blog that a Digestive Enzyme supplement and some Apple Cider Vinegar could help. I've had other skinny friends try to bulk up before and they just couldn't bring themselves to chug down any more.

I'll also definitely tell him to invest in some fish oil to help balance the Omega 3-6 ratio.

Thanks for the help guys!

3x per day;

150-200g Greek yoghurt + 50-100g oats + 50g dark chocolate and wash it down with a 50g protein shake.

Someone figure out the kcals on that. I'd say it's around 500/shake.
    Roughly from memory,
    With 150g yogurt, and 50g oats, it's about 750cals, 200g yogurt and 100g oats and it's about 1000.

Will vary a lot depending on brands though.

Bluebuds X or Freedom Spirit.
    Whats the difference, is it worth the price hike?

Sorry didn't mean to skip over your posts.

The bluebuds have inline remote and long play time.

They were worth it for me as the headphone jack on HTC m8 kept getting disconnected if something pulled on the wire

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement