Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

EmcD123 wrote: »
    he'd be cutting 6 or 7 kilos then so his numbers would drop,he says he's not interested in competing but i'd say if he was going to he'd be going for 105kg

He says:
    I think I can achieve a bigger sinclair in the 94kg class.

So Id say he has plans to drop back down to 94kg, im not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Are his squat numbers relative to his Oly Lift numbers? I saw a few comments on his videos where people were saying he should be Snatching/C+J-ing more than he is, considering that his Squat PR is probably around 280kg.

Could this be due to him not having a coach or perfecting his technique? or is his Squat:Oly Lift ratio quite normal for his level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

I hadnt seen that quote before,that would make it look like he's going for 94kg alright

Are his squat numbers relative to his Oly Lift numbers? I saw a few comments on his videos where people were saying he should be Snatching/C+J-ing more than he is, considering that his Squat PR is probably around 280kg.

Could this be due to him not having a coach or perfecting his technique? or is his Squat:Oly Lift ratio quite normal for his level?

We've been shown much more of him squatting than anything else. Like he can do 205kg clean and jerk but i dont think ive seen him miss a snatch attempt like he did with 210 on the C&J so i dont think we've seen his max effort snatch, again i could be wrong,i dont read many interviews or anything
    Edit: plus he's had so much trouble with his knees ,i remember he told all things gym that the jerk was particularly painful for him and he could be easing back into the oly lifts and going all out on squats to build up the muscles around the knee first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

We've been shown much more of him squatting than anything else. Like he can do 205kg clean and jerk but i dont think ive seen him miss a snatch attempt like he did with 210 on the C&J so i dont think we've seen his max effort snatch, again i could be wrong,i dont read many interviews or anything

But should his Oly Lifts be higher considering his squat is crazy good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

But should his Oly Lifts be higher considering his squat is crazy good?

Generally, your squat should be about 131% of you best C&J and your front squat should be around 121%. Your snatch should be about 80% of your best C&J.

Obviously these will differ slightly from lifter to lifter but if the numbers are significantly out of whack with these then it might point to something you should work on.

He cleaned 210 recently so his squat should be in the 270-290 range. So I'd say he lining up pretty well with a 270kg pause squat.

Can't wait to see how things go over the next year.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

From reading up a bit on it recently for someone like clarence who has perfected the oly lifts, his Olympic lifting maxes are basically going to be a percentage of his back squat.

So the stronger he gets i.e the bigger his back squat gets the higher his Olympic total will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

conzy wrote: »
    From reading up a bit on it recently for someone like clarence who has perfected the oly lifts, his Olympic lifting maxes are basically going to be a percentage of his back squat.

So the stronger he gets i.e the bigger his back squat gets the higher his Olympic total will be

It's not always that simple unfortunately. There's many other things that come into consideration.

Improving your squat will definitely increase the chance of improving your lifts but it's not always guaranteed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Used to be a big Pablo's fan but now I prefer boojum.

Mate of mine was getting the paleo box in Pablos and filled up his loyalty card. When he went to get a free one they charged him extra for the paleo box.
    Bad form.

Number of good burritos I've had in Dublin = zero.

I believe the best was Pablos though. Boojum make a ok fist at Tacos. Pablos do a decent Torta.

Living in Arizona has made me a Mexican food snob.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The place in the epicurean is nice

• Advertisement

Ever had that feeling when youre sprinting where youre so in control and just feel like you could keep going forever, love that feeling,hadnt felt it in like 2 years before tonight:D

yeah but then it comes to a crushing end about 35 seconds later

bluewolf wrote: »

But its a glorious 35 seconds:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

But its a glorious 35 seconds:)

That's what she said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That's what she said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So good she said it twice

Mellor wrote: »
    So good she said it twice

35 seconds: Long enough for twice

It is weird that Japanese places are limited (and crazy expensive) but I wouldn't say the same about thai.
    I can't do a bicep curl around Dublin 6 without hitting a thai takeout.
    Im out if dublin a while so maybe it's changed. But a few years ago there was one thai place everyone raved about and the rest were just your typical irish "asian" place that maybe did pad Thai and Thai curry.
    Tbh I'm spoil for great thai over here so maybe my expectations are higher.
    Good fish and chips I'm missing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

conzy wrote: »
    Clarence just posted a training montage (disappointed he didnt use 80s rock / rocky IV theme)

Finishes up with a 270kg paused squat, no belt, no wraps, no fúcks!

Crazy. The way he controls the 280 with that depth and pause... So impressive.

Damn I am mirin' hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Mellor wrote: »
    Im out if dublin a while so maybe it's changed. But a few years ago there was one thai place everyone raved about and the rest were just your typical irish "asian" place that maybe did pad Thai and Thai curry.
    Tbh I'm spoil for great thai over here so maybe my expectations are higher.
    Good fish and chips I'm missing though

In Australia? I loved flake and chips over there. I lived near essendon so might have got lucky with chipper there.

Hanley that cut and lighting has you looking big on those pics you posted.

In Australia? I loved flake and chips over there. I lived near essendon so might have got lucky with chipper there.
    All the chipper near me were terrible, Eastern sydney.
    But an "Irish chipper" opened up down the road now. Really expensive, but must be the oart as queues are out the door.

You are even lifting a
    Komodo Dragon

Keep it up and soon you'll be picking up a Medium-Sized Deer and putting it down with authority

gonna squat me some deer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You are even lifting a
    Komodo Dragon

Keep it up and soon you'll be picking up a Medium-Sized Deer and putting it down with authority

gonna squat me some deer

I think I'd struggle to actually front squat a fledgling hippo.

I think I'd struggle to actually front squat a fledgling hippo.

Rough hook up last night? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

• Advertisement

oh wow they're awesome

ouch at the price though ><

i stick with my endless sportdirect capris
    they're very pretty though

That reminds me I have to buy new tracksuit bottoms tomorrow and bin some. My tracksuit bottoms were falling down with wallet and phone in them today (don't judge me I was just collecting my parcel motel stuff).

On another note I've been having the lulz reading the HAES stuff on tumblr and reddit and /fit/ losing their minds over it. It really is some delusional stuff.

oh wow they're awesome

ouch at the price though ><

i stick with my endless sportdirect capris
    they're very pretty though

Gonna hope they get reduced in the summer sale maybe...

+1 for sportsdirect - lifestyle's sale/clearance section can be decent too.

Pair of pants from Pennys and a bag of glitter, boom.

they/them/theirs

Serious question for the ladies. Why don't ye wear shorts?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

the nike capris I get are the loveliest material and stretchy and they're either knee or 3/4 length
    I'm sure I've seen other women in my gym in shorts though
    One time one was in leopard skin leggings

I don't like my legs enough for shorts.

I also think leggings are more comfy for mobility.

But mostly because legs.

Same as woops on this one.

With added milk bottle factor.

That's funny Brian, now that you mention it, 90% of thy male gym instructors in my gym wear shorts (can only think of one out of 6 or 7 who doesn't), and all the female ones wear leggings. Never thought about it before.

Edited to say: I'd say about 30% of the girls (by that I mean the younger cohort) training in my gym wear shorts. Have never seen older women in them I don't think.

I don't like my legs enough for shorts.

I also think leggings are more comfy for mobility.

But mostly because legs.
    Same as woops on this one.

With added milk bottle factor.

That's funny Brian, now that you mention it, 90% of thy male gym instructors in my gym wear shorts (can only think of one out of 6 or 7 who doesn't), and all the female ones wear leggings. Never thought about it before.

Yeah, my wife would say the same thing. But no man, in my experience, is ever concerned about his leg appearance in the gym. Quite the contrary. I wear more Lycra than most, for cycling, and I get slagged for it. But wandering around in shorts is no problem. It's the weirdest double standard. That's even before the leg shaving comes into it.

IMO baggy shorts are No.1 for mobility, but I can see how leggings would be a good 2nd. Tracksuit bottoms are a big "NO" for me, they tend to entangle stuff when squatting.

I have no idea what my point is here. Maybe I should challenge the status quo and get glittery leggings for the gym.

they/them/theirs

I think it's the only way.

go forth and rock those leggings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

They are some seriously long arms.

Brian? wrote: »
    Yeah, my wife would say the same thing. But no man, in my experience, is ever concerned about his leg appearance in the gym. Quite the contrary. I wear more Lycra than most, for cycling, and I get slagged for it. But wandering around in shorts is no problem. It's the weirdest double standard. That's even before the leg shaving comes into it.

IMO baggy shorts are No.1 for mobility, but I can see how leggings would be a good 2nd. Tracksuit bottoms are a big "NO" for me, they tend to entangle stuff when squatting.

I have no idea what my point is here. Maybe I should challenge the status quo and get glittery leggings for the gym.

I am :(

Finally start getting decent calves and varicose veins genetics kick in on left leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Is there a top to go with them so you can look like a giant rainbow trout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'm all about wearing leggings in the gym, much prefer them to baggy shorts. The key is wearing compatible boxers/briefs underneath: they can't be too loose or short, as you may end up looking like you've got an STD with the amount of rearranging that needs to be done after a set of squats or general gymmery.

link_2007 wrote: »
    They are some seriously long arms.

I have freakishly long arms, slightly longer (proportionally) than those pictured.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

For the ladies, the perfect gym shorts:

http://70sbig.spreadshirt.com/women-s-logo-shorts-A7435018/customize/color/2

Is being 70s big a goal for a lady?

I'm going try rocking these

Nike-X-Ray-Bones-Athletic-Pants-2.jpg

they/them/theirs

I have freakishly long arms, slightly longer (proportionally) than those pictured.

Read somewhere your arm span is meant to be the same as your height - mine is 9cm longer. Orangutan ftw.

Read somewhere your arm span is meant to be the same as your height - mine is 9cm longer. Orangutan ftw.

Ever been to Dublin zoo? There's a bench outside the Orangutan enclosure in the shape of an Orangutan with his arms spread to his sides. My arms are about 5 cm shorter that that. My wife thinks it's hilarious and has many pictures of me on that bench.

they/them/theirs

Ever been to Dublin zoo? There's a bench outside the Orangutan enclosure in the shape of an Orangutan with his arms spread to his sides. My arms are about 5 cm shorter that that. My wife thinks it's hilarious and has many pictures of me on that bench.

You should change your username to King Louie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I've just stood up and measured myself and proportionately, I'm a lot closer to the picture than I thought I would be. I think the fact the girl is so lean and (assumingly) tall that they look longer than I initially thought.

leggings all the way!!, knee length for running,full length for gym, dont understand how anyone can lift in shorts since the bar just tears your shins apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Leggings when its cold, shorts when its warm.

Simples!

For the ladies, the perfect gym shorts:

http://70sbig.spreadshirt.com/women-s-logo-shorts-A7435018/customize/color/2

Is being 70s big a goal for a lady?

I'm going try rocking these

Nike-X-Ray-Bones-Athletic-Pants-2.jpg

It's annoys me that the skeleton knees are way below her actual knees.

Top fighters and boxers often have a much longer span than height

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mine is 20cm longer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement