Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Well I think taking steroids should've been mentioned along with " I eat 80 egg whites a week "
    Does it really need to be mentioned though?
    They are obviously on steroids, I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. It's hardly a secret. It's also not extactly legal, so i'no surprised people don't want to talk about it openly. I can't really think of anything that could be gained by peering inside the first-aid box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    Does it really need to be mentioned though?
    They are obviously on steroids, I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. It's hardly a secret. It's also not extactly legal, so i'no surprised people don't want to talk about it openly. I can't really think of anything that could be gained by peering inside the first-aid box.

Maybe it dosent need to be mentioned but to the uneducated eye they might actually think it's down to clean living, hard lifting and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

hulk-roids9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I've got to stop the booze. It really kills my gym motivation for a few days and impacts my diet.

And dairy as well. I feel like I'm carry lbs of water from eating crap after booze.

I can't straighten my arms today. Oh dear.

I can't straighten my arms today. Oh dear.

Trex mode activated

If you're happy and you know it clap your... Oh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

I'm stuck in a rut with my dumbell bicep curls at the moment. Was hoping to move up to the next dumbell weight in my gym (2.5kg heavier) last month, but here I am still on the same weight while everything else I do progresses. At this weight I'm still finding the last few reps on my 3rd set tough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    I'm stuck in a rut with my dumbell bicep curls at the moment. Was hoping to move up to the next dumbell weight in my gym (2.5kg heavier) last month, but here I am still on the same weight while everything else I do progresses. At this weight I'm still finding the last few reps on my 3rd set tough too.

Change the angle of attack. Try e/z bar curls. Do weighted pull-ups and chin-ups. Do TRX/inverted/seated/DB rows. Up the weight significantly on the dumbbells and go for 3-5 reps and add sets, instead of the higher reps with 3 sets I'm assuming you're doing at the moment. You could add drop-sets after with lower weight and higher reps. Train biceps more frequently.

• Advertisement

Change the angle of attack. Try e/z bar curls. Do weighted pull-ups and chin-ups. Do TRX/inverted/seated/DB rows. Up the weight significantly on the dumbbells and go for 3-5 reps and add sets, instead of the higher reps with 3 sets I'm assuming you're doing at the moment. You could add drop-sets after with lower weight and higher reps. Train biceps more frequently.

Cheers for the reply. I do e/z bar curls and hammer curls as well in my bicep routine. Sometimes I do pull-ups rather than hammer curls to switch it up a bit. Everything is 10 reps 3 sets. I've been able to add 1.25kg to either side of the e/z curl bar no problem, maybe the 2.5kg increment on the dumbells is just that bit beyond me still at the moment. I train biceps twice a week, same as everything else. I'll deffo try upping the weights with lower reps though to see if I progress a bit quicker. I seem to progress everywhere else on a monthly basis but been stuck at this weight on biceps for a couple of months now.

Fat privilege is not having to buy new gym gear

Just blew some money in sports shops. Elverys are selling puma bottoms for 25e on a sale. Decent quality and comfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

More volume. Drop the weight down a bit and do some more reps/ sets , I'd also recommend doing cable curls for a while, the constant tension through the whole ROM should be more effective than using a freewight where the effective tensions changes throughout the movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Cheers for the reply. I do e/z bar curls and hammer curls as well in my bicep routine. Sometimes I do pull-ups rather than hammer curls to switch it up a bit. Everything is 10 reps 3 sets. I've been able to add 1.25kg to either side of the e/z curl bar no problem, maybe the 2.5kg increment on the dumbells is just that bit beyond me still at the moment. I train biceps twice a week, same as everything else. I'll deffo try upping the weights with lower reps though to see if I progress a bit quicker. I seem to progress everywhere else on a monthly basis but been stuck at this weight on biceps for a couple of months now.

Its not a particularly big muscle, 2.5kg might just be too big a jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Its not a particularly big muscle

speak for yourself bro!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

EZ Curl bar and fractional weights, Smaller weight with way higher reps. I'm doing 3 sets of 15-20 reps at the minute. Higher weight with lower reps would work also.

Your goal shouldnt be to "jump up to the next dumbells"

Your goal should be to do more work every session. Progressive overload, not jumping to the bigger dumbbells will make you grow.

You could progress like this:

10x20,10x22.5,10x25

10x22.5,10x22.5,10x25

10x22.5,10x22.5,13x25

12x22.5,12x22.5,13x25

Each and every session you are doing more

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The way we're doing it in the gym at the moment is as follows;

Aim for 4x12

If you hit more than 40 reps in total you move up to the next DB.

UNLESS, the next DB is a 5kg jump, then you need to hit all 48 reps.

So 15kg DBs x12,12,10,9 = 43 total reps

Next session is at 17.5kg DBs.

...hit 40 reps in total to move on, if you don't, repeat next workout until you get 40 reps or more.

If anyone is low carbing and missing noodles, bulkpowders diet noodles are a decent substitute. Barely any calories and made of fibre!

I'll report back if they tear the stomach of me

No wheat?

bluewolf wrote: »
    No wheat?

Nooe they're made from yams

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

If anyone is low carbing and missing noodles, bulkpowders diet noodles are a decent substitute. Barely any calories and made of fibre!

I'll report back if they tear the stomach of me

I think these are similar? Get mixed reviews. Might be cheaper when they have the BOGOF offer
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4632&prodid=5524&bid=797

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think these are similar? Get mixed reviews. Might be cheaper when they have the BOGOF offer
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4632&prodid=5524&bid=797

They are rank

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Are you dedicating an entire day to arms? What's your full routine?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

My stomach!! Gastro in full swing. Send help please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Take some Ipecac, it will make you feel better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

Only seeing this now but I think the reason they are zero/low cals is that they mostly an indigestible fibre that passes right through you

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-cook-with-shirataki-noodles.html

Brian? wrote: »
    Are you dedicating an entire day to arms? What's your full routine?

No, on that particular day I do back/biceps/traps. The other 2 days I have are chest/triceps/shoulders and legs/abs. I do each twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Does anyone have any recommendations for good places to get lunch in Galway? The more meat the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

McSwiggans is a good bet.

Ring ahead just in case.

It's not fine dining, per se, but the steak is goooood any time I was there.

No, on that particular day I do back/biceps/traps. The other 2 days I have are chest/triceps/shoulders and legs/abs. I do each twice a week.

How long have been doing this?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    How long have been doing this?

3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Having trouble finding a way to really load up my calves for a good stretch at home (and they need it). The skirting along the walls is a bit slippy and there's nowhere with a slant or area jutting out that makes it easy.

So any tips or any devices/aids people use to help with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Having trouble finding a way to really load up my calves for a good stretch at home (and they need it). The skirting along the walls is a bit slippy and there's nowhere with a slant or area jutting out that makes it easy.

So any tips or any devices/aids people use to help with this?

Try on a door frame, stand close to it with the ball of one foot on the door frame, heel on ground, legs straight trying to bring your hip to the frame of the door. Your other leg and one arm can then wrap around the other side of the door frame giving you more leverage, door will have to be open, obviously.

Has anyone here ever bought or used a SAD lamp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

No... but you're either 6 months too late, or 6 months too early for that decision! :D

I've heard good things about em tho. I've you've been diagnosed with SADS it's deffo worth getting one to see if it has an effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I was looking at those Lumie clocks for a bit, might get one before winter comes back around.

Hanley wrote: »
    No... but you're either 6 months too late, or 6 months too early for that decision! :D

I've heard good things about em tho. I've you've been diagnosed with SADS it's deffo worth getting one to see if it has an effect.

Hopefully we get a spring and a summer man. Since I've lost weight I've gone from hating the summer and loving winter to the opposite.

Could be just dieting. I'll have a cheat meal of fish and chips to celebrate good Friday tomorrow :P

I've considered it many times and never bit the bullet. I work shifts, alternating months of days and nights. So I'm basically jet lagged a week a month. If you find anything worth reading, send it this way.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Hanley wrote: »

In Donegal would could use them all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I have tried one but I didn't find any impact. I think it is very specific and will really only work in the case of SAD (if at all).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Clarence is making some serious gains in his lifts. 175 Snatch, 210 C+J :eek:

I really hope he starts competing again as it would be a shame to see such a talent go to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I really hope he starts competing again as it would be a shame to see such a talent go to waste.

Ridiculously strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Ridiculously strong.

400kg total is edging closer. A truly outstanding athlete, and considering he's self-coached it makes it even more remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

That total would give him a decent finish at the last olympics!!

dinorebel wrote: »
    In Donegal would could use them all year.

Is that not due to the locals though? :pac:

My mother used to knit a lot and she had a "daylight" bulb, not sure if it is the same thing, but it certainly made the room a lot cheerier. I used to enjoy winter, people would say I made them look cold walking around in jeans and a t-shirt. I've lost the insulation now and and it's bloody freezing these days.

cc87 wrote: »
    That total would give him a decent finish at the last olympics!!

To put it in perspective, it would have equalled the gold in the 85kg division, 9th in the 94kg division, and 8th in the 105kg. The OCI should be paying Clarence a visit.

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    To put it in perspective, it would have equalled the gold in the 85kg division, 9th in the 94kg division, and 8th in the 105kg. The OCI should be paying Clarence a visit.
    I'd be surprised if he could make the 85kg division at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Okay fine - but he's world class.

Anyway, doesn't look like he'll be in an Irish singlet this year. His videos are wowing whether he competes or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Anyway, doesn't look like he'll be in an Irish singlet this year. His videos are wowing whether he competes or not.

It's only April so there's still a good chunk of the year left. The European Seniors might be out of the picture but there's still the European under 23s (Oct) and the Worlds (Nov). So with a bit of luck we might see him at one of those. There'll also be another Euro Seniors next year as well, before Rio.

He says himself in the comments he's aiming at 94kg, but the fact he's matching the gold-medal performance of the class below is worth applauding itself.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Absolutely world class. 385kg equals the best 94kg B lifter in London, and its ahead of the lowest A lifter.
    He's definitely olympic standard, which makes it a real shame that the path to Rio is so tricky for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement