Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

I've always been the opposite.
    Can do more weighted pulls ups than I can bench.

So I guess that just means my bench is shit! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've always been the opposite.
    Can do more weighted pulls ups than I can bench.

So I guess that just means my bench is shit! :p

maybe I'm really underestimating where my weight pull ups are at.

Out of curiosity what sort of numbers do you do for each?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

I'm currently about 80kg bodyweight and can only bench 80kg.
    Weighted pull ups I've never tested a max but I'd get 3 or 4 with 20kgs on.

Stairs are my enemy today. And walking. And sitting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    Stairs are my enemy today. And walking. And sitting...

I empathise. My calf muscles are so sore I have to walk like all of the bones from above my ankle down to my toes have been fused together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

talk about weird numbers, my current max for a back squat triple is 90 and my max for a front squat triple is 95..... is that normal?

EmcD123 wrote: »
    talk about weird numbers, my current max for a back squat triple is 90 and my max for a front squat triple is 95..... is that normal?

It's not entirely normal but you're not that long trainiing so you've a load of potential for increasing both. At the minute though you're training your front squat more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Mellor wrote: »
    Was just reading something about push:pull. And it mentioned that a persons bench press should be roughly equal to the weighted pull up (inc Bodyweight).
    I've haven't tested my weighted pulls up. But I know my bench press 1rm and 5rm and I doubt I could hit the same for a weight pull up 1rm or 5rm.
    But maybe I'd surprise myself.

I'm not sure about this.
    I am 80kg and can do at least 10 pull ups with 15kg extra on but I can only bench 5reps of 80kg.
    I think my bench is really **** anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Small point: when doing a pull-up you're not lifting 100% of your bodyweight. Most of the weight of your arms are taken out of the lift, so that would probably knock 3-5kg+ off your BW before adding on the extra weight.

FWIW I'm about 77kg at the moment, can do ~6 pull-ups with 20kg added, and max bench would be around 95kg. I train pull-ups a lot more than bench though.

Hmm so far 3 out of 3 posters all say pull ups>bench.
    All are similar size to me (77kg).

I think I need to test weighted pull ups.

• Advertisement

You should,they look like great craic ,tempted to test them myself now

I'm still on a feckin band for pull ups and don't bench so I'm feck all use to this conversation.

30 pull ups on this evening's workout though >.<

I'm 77kg and I looked back and the last time I did proper pull ups (as opposed to neutral grip) I banged out sets of 8, 8, 8, 6 and 6 with 2 mins rest between. Last time I benched AMRAP at 77.5kg I hit 6 reps.

I would have thought my pull ups would be stronger because I do more pull work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I'm still on a feckin band for pull ups and don't bench so I'm feck all use to this conversation.

30 pull ups on this evening's workout though >.<

Keep at it - if you're anything like me, it feels like you'll never get there, callouses grow, the purple band becomes hated, until one day, unexpectedly, you'll bang out 3 in a row and wonder what took so long :)

I'm still on assisted flex hangs never mind pull ups. Lol

We'll all get better as long as we keep pushing for it!

Has anyone been following Alicia Grayson's "fatness to fitness" page on facebook. I'm very late to the party here it would seem and just discovered it over the weekend. I'm completely in awe of her achievements. My goals are very very different, but if I had half of her determination I would be well on my way to achieving them.

This is now my current phone screen saver :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

my legs dont work anymore

the last 3 weeks now I cant seem to squat as low down as I normally can

even without a bar and trying at home they just dont seem to do it

wtf? Im not injured or anything, no pain, its like I need some wd40 oil or something

im doing box squats at the moment. do I need do some mobility stuff?

wtf? Im not injured or anything, no pain, its like I need some wd40 oil or something

Have you tried foam rolling or stuff like that?it usually helps if youre just feeling tight

Most likely that that's a yes and for your hips in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dosent the length of your arms determine if your going to be good at benching? Longer arms would be a disadvantage surely?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Dosent the length of your arms determine if your going to be good at benching? Longer arms would be a disadvantage surely?

It doesn't determine if you're going to be good at benching - Lamar Gant was handy enough at it - but shorter arms would be an advantage.

Most likely that that's a yes and for your hips in particular.

yeah, was thinking that too.

Strange as Ive always been flexible, even up to a month ago. Then one day I wasnt. That doesnt really sound normal?

I always put down down mobility exercises to people who had too much time on their hands in the gym or didnt want to actually train :eek::pac:

It doesn't determine if you're going to be good at benching - Lamar Gant was handy enough at it - but shorter arms would be an advantage.

isnt your arms all in proportion to the rest of your body?

iirc someone on big brother proved this by making all the house mates all lie down on some extra large paper

he then marked the tips of their hands when outstretched. Then he was able to show that this was their exact height too

was quite fascinating at the time

yeah, was thinking that too.

Strange as Ive always been flexible, even up to a month ago. Then one day I wasnt. That doesnt really sound normal?

I always put down down mobility exercises to people who had too much time on their hands in the gym or didnt want to actually train :eek::pac:

I've been doing mobility work for a couple of years, usually at home, but about 18 months ago I went annd found out that I evidently wasn't doing it enough or was just going through the motions.

Some pretty aggressive massaging later, I was squatting lower and better.

I just get it done at night now - roller is left behind the couch and the lacrosse ball isn't far away either. I have limited time in the gym these days so mobility work has to be done other times. But doing it helps.

iirc someone on big brother proved this by making all the house mates all lie down on some extra large paper

he then marked the tips of their hands when outstretched. Then he was able to show that this was their exact height too

For a lot of people, yes.

For a lot of people, no.

Also, do some mobility work instead of watching Big Brother.

a friend of mine has started a roller business and there was me secretly thinking that that was a waste of time. Will be ringing him up later on now to get one

Will do them at home too as I literally have an hour in the gym and no more when im there.

On average its there abouts, but it's not exact, not for everyone. Most successful boxers would have a longer reach than their height for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

And rock climbers. And swimmers. Throwers maybe? Rowers. All about the ape index.

not forgetting goalkeepers, tennis plaers, squash players, badminton players.
    wrestlers, karate, darts players. snooker players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

This is excellent

At 9 minutes he mentions the arm to height ratio thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That's only because he could bend himself in half due to his spinal condition. It's EXCEEDINGLY rare that longer armed "deadlift" builds are good at benching.

Hanley wrote: »
    That's only because he could bend himself in half due to his spinal condition. It's EXCEEDINGLY rare that longer armed "deadlift" builds are good at benching.

It was a tongue in cheek reference rather than 'if he can do it anyone can'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'd say the longer the distance from shoulder to elbow, the greater the disadvantage in the bench. Laws of leverage and all that

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Work bought a digital scales for measuring coffee. I can now measure grated cheese and peanut butter in work. gains

Protein Truffles

Each one has 96 kcals, 7.2g carbs (2.6g sugar), 4.2g fibre and 10.1g protein.

Tempted to taste test.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

conzy wrote: »
    Work bought a digital scales for measuring coffee.

Well la di ****in' da.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Well la di ****in' da.

Until you find out it's only for instant coffee... stingy b*******s!

ectoraige wrote: »
    Until you find out it's only for instant coffee... stingy b*******s!

We get the sweepings from the floor of a Maxwell House warehouse

We get the sweepings from the floor of a Maxwell House warehouse

Ooo, we all *dream* of getting the sweepings off floor of a Maxwell House warehouse, so we do - best we can manage is to lick the inside of an old catering-size tin of Nescafé that's had rats living in it for two months!

Ooo, we all *dream* of getting the sweepings off floor of a Maxwell House warehouse, so we do - best we can manage is to lick the inside of an old catering-size tin of Nescafé that's had rats living in it for two months!

You were released then?

85bdd-ben.jpg

• Advertisement

A Nescafe tin full of rats... luxury

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

For all the hard hitting nutrition studies in the papers

Mp8y8k0.jpg

You were released then?

85bdd-ben.jpg

Ripped.

maybe I'm really underestimating where my weight pull ups are at. I think I need to test them

Yeah, so I was just massively underestimating my weighted pull-ups. Been over a year since I did tested, I assume it was around 20kg or just over, as I never do them.
    Nope. BW+33kg for 1 rep.

Which is in the roughy equal to bench press. Slightly ahead actually, but allowing for arms gets it pretty close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Yeah, so I was just massively underestimating my weighted pull-ups. Been over a year since I did tested, I assume it was around 20kg or just over, as I never do them.
    Nope. BW+33kg for 1 rep.

Which is in the roughy equal to bench press. Slightly ahead actually, but allowing for arms gets it pretty close

BW+33Kg is impressive

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30681002

Read this piece a few weeks ago. Although the technology may not exist at the moment it would be bloooooody handy :)

"A controversial calorie-counting wristband, which had been denounced by some medical experts, has been put to the test by the BBC.
    The creators of the GoBe wristband say it can automatically, non-invasively count the calories eaten by the wearer.
    After crowdfunding $1.1m (£707,000) to build the product, the company experienced an intense backlash - with critics saying it was a "scam"."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

JJayoo wrote:
    Read this piece a few weeks ago. Although the technology may not exist at the moment it would be bloooooody handy

I can't see how it could ever exist

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I can't see how it could ever exist

Everything will exist in the future.....everything

JJayoo wrote: »
    Everything will exist in the future.....everything

We'll be burning fewer and fewer calories on our hoverboards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Just Clarence being Clarence and front squatting 250...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement