Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But, but, but...he knees moved inwards....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

That seemed very comfortable, won't be long till he has a 260kg vid up

quadzilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Could anyone be so kind as to measure the dimensions of a standard 5lb/2.2kg tub of whey for me, I want to check if it will fit in a parcel motel box ok (along with some other small bits and pieces). Googled but didn't find an answer!

Thanks a million :)

Could anyone be so kind as to measure the dimensions of a standard 5lb/2.2kg tub of whey for me, I want to check if it will fit in a parcel motel box ok (along with some other small bits and pieces). Googled but didn't find an answer!

There are a number of diff sizes lockers with parcel motel, I have often used it when ordering protein and even a big box has never been an issue.

Thanks Jjayoo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Has anybody read this "Complete Calisthenics: The Ultimate Guide to Bodyweight Exercises" by Ashley Kalym.

Is it worth buying or are the youtube videos enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

MFP has a premium version now. $9.99 per month to basically remove ads. I knew Under Armor would pull this crap

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

If it really doesnt fit you can collect it at nightline HQ or have it delivered to another address for three fiddy i think

• Advertisement

I will receive my shiny new garmin tomorrow. It's sad how excited this makes me.

Testing week this week too, I've missed too many sessions from being sick for me to actually see many improvements I'd say.

Still though, I do like testing week.

conzy wrote: »
    If it really doesnt fit you can collect it at nightline HQ or have it delivered to another address for three fiddy i think

Thanks Conzy - unfortunately I have no car which makes collecting an oversized box from the depot a bit trickier, but hopefully it will fit. Thanks! :)

Thanks Conzy - unfortunately I have no car which makes collecting an oversized box from the depot a bit trickier, but hopefully it will fit. Thanks! :)

My super duper stalking skills suggest that you probably live near enough to me, if you're stuck just give me a shout.

My super duper stalking skills suggest that you probably live near enough to me, if you're stuck just give me a shout.

*scared* :D:D

Ah thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Went for a squat PR today. 142.5KG @ 79kg BW
    Failed at 145Kg but think I could get it if I went for it a bit fresher than today.

Any comments on technique?
    Think the 142.5 is high myself. I need to get some training videos to see what my normal depth is like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

By powerlifting standards, 142.5 is quite a bit high i'm afraid. Be interesting ot see what 100 and 120 would look like.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    By powerlifting standards, 142.5 is quite a bit high i'm afraid. Be interesting ot see what 100 and 120 would look like.

Cheers Hanley

I'll try get them recorded some time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Doing lots right in terms of getting yourself braced under the weight and set up. Depth isn't there on those squats though unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Good video on Pyrros Dimas uploaded on the Olympic youtube page. Well worth a watch.

Edit: They won't allow embedding so you'll have to click through to youtube.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Doing lots right in terms of getting yourself braced under the weight and set up. Depth isn't there on those squats though unfortunately.
    Hanley wrote: »

Ya the depth is something I've been working on for a while. I damaged cartilage in my knee about a year ago now so couldn't get full depth painfree on bodyweight squats until xmas.

Yesterday was my first real attempt at a PR in a long long time.

I'm happy enough with the fact that I managed that with no pain at all in my knee and there hasn't been any today either. Next goal will be the depth!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Asking the experts rather than doing the research myself: are multi vitamins and things like ON's opti men worth taking or are they just marketing BS?

I've been feeling run down the past 3-4 weeks, CNS is a bit shot. I get 8 hours+ sleep and eat clean for the most part, so wondering if a multi vitamin or similar might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

shakedown wrote: »
    Asking the experts rather than doing the research myself: are multi vitamins and things like ON's opti men worth taking or are they just marketing BS?

I've been feeling run down the past 3-4 weeks, CNS is a bit shot. I get 8 hours+ sleep and eat clean for the most part, so wondering if a multi vitamin or similar might help.

multivit might help if you're deficient, All the major supermarkets do cheap multivits, I take Vit D and Vit B complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

shakedown wrote: »

Yeah it might help, and taking a Multivitamin daily won't harm, but if you're eating plenty of vegetables and fruit, then they're not a necessity.

If you feel really drained and your CNS feels down, then a deload week could help too.

Also a ON Multivitamin will probably be quite expensive compared to one you can get in the supermarket and I doubt there's much difference between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

I thought they were too hard for the body to absorb or something along those lines? Don't you normally just piss it out?

Are you getting enough calories? Eating clean can often lead to consuming few calories that you might think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

papu wrote: »
    multivit might help if you're deficient, All the major supermarkets do cheap multivits, I take Vit D and Vit B complex.

I'd suspect they are cheap for a reason.

although i have no basis for this suspicious other than I work in food and food processing and things that are cheap are 99% of the time inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Thanks. I do eat lots of fruit and veg (probably 5-10 portions a day), and consume enough daily calories to maintain bodyweight. I've pretty much been in a deload (including a couple of 3-4 day stretches of no lifting) for the past 3 weeks as my body can't handle any heavy weights.

I did some research this morning, there seems to be a lot of debate firstly around whether multi vitamins are required or not, and secondly around which is best to take.

I ended up ordering orange triad, which is a bit expensive but seems to be widely recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

arayess wrote: »
    although i have no basis for this suspicious other than I work in food and food processing and things that are cheap are 99% of the time inferior.

I've heard the exact opposite. Like own brand stuff is the same thing but packaged in a different container a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I've heard the exact opposite. Like own brand stuff is the same thing but packaged in a different container a lot of the time.

you are right.

I deal in a niche market that's mostly fresh food so i was talking from that point of view.
    with packaged food that happens but not as often as you'd be lead to believe. I know a bit about that but it's not my area to lecture on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I made Transform's energy bars for the first time. Holy ****. So tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Saw a whole chicken on offer today.

1.5kg it said.

Certainly wasn't 1.5kg of meat there even though there wasn't a huge amount of carcass.

Colour me disappointed. And full.

• Advertisement

If you didn't get DOMS today, it's because I got them.

All of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Is Hip thrust using the Leg extension machine a suitable alternative to a barbell ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwxhaF4AU5E

The missus finds that dumbells heavy enough are too uncomfortable and awkward to get into position and there is nothing in the gym to cushion a barbell enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

will56 wrote: »
    Is Hip thrust using the Leg extension machine a suitable alternative to a barbell ?

The missus finds that dumbells heavy enough are too uncomfortable and awkward to get into position and there is nothing in the gym to cushion a barbell enough

You could just get her to wrap a jumper around the bar??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm confused by the question. A barbell with a towel wrapped around it should be fine.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Found these videos of one of Clarence Kennedy's training partner quite amusing, kudos. :)

that's hilarious

also i want to be him when i grow up

Nice simple/practical video on shoulder health.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

In relation to this, is this just a girl exercise? Don't see many guys bothering with it. Why not? What are they doing instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In relation to this, is this just a girl exercise? Don't see many guys bothering with it. Why not? What are they doing instead?
    I've used it a fair bit recently. Obviously I use a barbell and not the leg extension machine. I don't think it's unusual for a guy to do it tbh. Usually heavy hip thrusts as a glute assessory lift,

• Advertisement

Ya just use the smith machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Was rushing to work this morning and forgot to pack my tin of tuna and faage yogurt for my 11 oclock snack

I have no eaten since 7am were I had some weetabix and protein shake

what will happen to me? I feel very hungry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Was rushing to work this morning and forgot to pack my tin of tuna and faage yogurt for my 11 oclock snack

Say bye bye to every single gain you made since you started lifting. You will revert back to being a mere mortal again. Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

9bred4 wrote: »
    Say bye bye to every single gain you made since you started lifting. You will revert back to being a mere mortal again. Sorry for your loss.

Don't be stupid. All his muscle just turns to fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

i only train to stay toned. Dont want to get too big and bulky like the ones who compete in mr universe

• Advertisement

People will speak to you again because you don't reek of tuna.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Your penis will get even smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

]

This is what I love about boards, the way people will share their own very personal experiences to better inform others :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Your penis will get *INVERTED*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Don't be stupid. All his muscle just turns to fat.

Power pants is a fella?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement