Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

oh get him, he likes to wear pants :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Not sure if anyone's seen this already, but this was one of the craziest sets of deadlifts I've ever seen.

He also talks about his way of psyching himself up for lifts by visualising his dead brother coming back to life, which is a bit strange, but it seems to work well for him anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What an odd belt position!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Hanley wrote: »
    By powerlifting standards, 142.5 is quite a bit high i'm afraid. Be interesting ot see what 100 and 120 would look like.

I went to record a few lifts today around 100kg.

Ended up doing this at 137.5kg.

Definitely better depth I think but there was a slight twinge in my knee so didn't try any more.

was hoping the camera might focus more on the girl with the purple shorts on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Is the 15% off code still around for myprotein?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

JJayoo wrote: »

I got an email today about 50% off some products but its only for some of the new/weird flavours

http://www.myprotein.com/all-offers/mighty100.list?sortOrder=salesRank&sortReverse=false

NEW10 might get you 10% off everything as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

cc87 wrote: »
    I got an email today about 50% off some products but its only for some of the new/weird flavours

I done this. Won't be doing it again. Pineapple flavoured whey :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

cc87 wrote: »
    I went to record a few lifts today around 100kg.

Ended up doing this at 137.5kg.

Definitely better depth I think but there was a slight twinge in my knee so didn't try any more.

Yep, just a twinge below parallel, well done.

I'd note that your right foot is slightly ahead of your left. I know that you can't afford to be looking down and readjusting out of the rack on a max single so you'll have to really try and dial in what equally set feet feel like during your rep work. I had / have the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

JJayoo wrote: »

Add a load of stuff into your basket and then log out, a while later you should get an email with a list of discount codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I done this. Won't be doing it again. Pineapple flavoured whey :(

I tried Peanut Cookie and it was mank, I regret everything. Mixed it 50/50 with chocolate and it's ok though, not worth the headache however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Zillah wrote: »
    I tried Peanut Cookie and it was mank, I regret everything. Mixed it 50/50 with chocolate and it's ok though, not worth the headache however.

I have cookies and cream sitting here for months, can't stomach it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Cookies and cream shakes are lovely I find! Well I use the BSN ones but still cant be too different

Ya MyProtein have a sale on at the moment, but I was hoping that the 15% code was still floating about #doublesavings #buycrapyoudon'tactuallywant

CC87 could you take a video from the back/front, hard to tell from the side but your stance looks very narrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone have any details about bodyexpo Ireland?

One of my mates sent me a screenshot a few weeks ago about it being on in November. Been to one two years ago in NEC. It was alright but I'd like to experience the Irish one once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Did anyone have the misfortune of hearing the piece on supplements/nutrition/PEDs on Newstalk yesterday evening? Some uninformed oul lad saying he'd only advocate the use of protein with a plan made by a nutritionist? And that creatine should be totally avoided. I hate that this stuff gets airtime.

dorgasm wrote: »
    Did anyone have the misfortune of hearing the piece on supplements/nutrition/PEDs on Newstalk yesterday evening? Some uninformed oul lad saying he'd only advocate the use of protein with a plan made by a nutritionist? And that creatine should be totally avoided. I hate that this stuff gets airtime.

That's what happens when you troll a meme for too long

http://i.imgur.com/yDCJ2pi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That sounds different to what was said.

It was Niall Moyna.

He was specifically talking about young people taking creatine whose kidneys and liver may not be fully developed and that proper nutrition could yield the same benefits as taking supplements or creatine.

He also said a protein shake was no different to a glass of milk or steak.

Edit: Link to podcasted interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

That sounds different to what was said.

It was Niall Moyna.

He was specifically talking about young people taking creatine whose kidneys and liver may not be fully developed and that proper nutrition could yield the same benefits as taking supplements or creatine.

He also said a protein shake was no different to a glass of milk or steak.

Edit: Link to podcasted interview.

Just listened back, the tone does seem different than I picked up initially. Just the one or two soundbites stuck in my head. The part about having it prescribed by a dietician is a bit mad though since, like he mentions, it's no different to milk or steak.

Just listened back, the tone does seem different than I picked up initially. Just the one or two soundbites stuck in my head. The part about having it prescribed by a dietician is a bit mad though since, like he mentions, it's no different to milk or steak.

It did seem more in the context of getting advice on nutrition in general rather than just taking shakes in the absence of any idea what you're doing or if you need them and a lot of the references to supplements seemed to be in the context of younger people.

It did seem more in the context of getting advice on nutrition in general rather than just taking shakes in the absence of any idea what you're doing or if you need them and a lot of the references to supplements seemed to be in the context of younger people.

That's a fair point. Go into a Holland & Barretts and you see young lads buying their awful whey as they think just adding that to their diet will make them ripped.

That's a fair point. Go into a Holland & Barretts and you see young lads buying their awful whey as they think just adding that to their diet will make them ripped.

It won't??? :(

idiots...the only way to make real gainz is Avonmore Protein Milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

idiots...the only way to make real gainz is Avonmore Protein Milk.

or mooju!!!

• Advertisement

EmcD123 wrote: »
    or mooju!!!

Nah, Avonmore Protein Milk has some extra fast proteins which reach the muscles faster than all other sources of protein...or so I was told by some GAA lad at the gym last week...

Nah, Avonmore Protein Milk has some extra fast proteins which reach the muscles faster than all other sources of protein...or so I was told by some GAA lad at the gym last week...

Avonmore protein milk the most expensive single scoop of whey lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I've actually noticed a couple of people in work using Avonmore Protein Milk in the fridge for their tea/coffee now. :eek:

In fairness, it's a great piece of marketing and fair play to them for spotting a gap in the market, even if I would never buy it myself. Will probably create a few extra jobs also. #labourmarketgainz

dont see the harm in it

500ml has 25g of protein for 1e

I Drink it as I like to have milk for with my lunch

I Dont really give a **** about the sugars as im not a blimp :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/science/when-we-lose-weight-where-does-fat-go
    The most common misconception among doctors, dieticians and personal trainers is that the missing mass has been converted into energy or heat.

“There is surprising ignorance and confusion about the metabolic process of weight loss,” says Professor Andrew Brown, head of the UNSW School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences.

“The correct answer is that most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide. It goes into thin air,” says the study’s lead author, Ruben Meerman, a physicist and Australian TV science presenter.

In their paper, published in the British Medical Journal today, the authors show that losing 10 kilograms of fat requires 29 kilograms of oxygen to be inhaled and that this metabolic process produces 28 kilograms of carbon dioxide and 11 kilograms of water.

This blew my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Avonmore protein milk the most expensive single scoop of whey lol

Still cheaper than Que$t bars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

papu wrote: »
    Still cheaper than Que$t bars

Blasphemer. 3 quid is like totally paleo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

papu wrote: »
    It's basically just emissions.
    Like the engine on a car. Petrol doesn't just convert to intangible energy, it's goes out the exhaust as mostly carbon dioxide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Mellor wrote: »
    It's basically just emissions.
    Like the engine on a car. Petrol doesn't just convert to intangible energy, it's goes out the exhaust as mostly carbon dioxide.

That's why boiled eggs are great, they really add to the emissions :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Woman in work doing a 3 day juice "detox"

A) mind my own business
    B) tell her it's nonsense and a waste of money

Seeing this really grinds my gears. People obviously do these terrible unhealthy fad diets because they think it will help them change for the better.. You can bet with 99% certainty that she will go back to her terrible nutrition on day 4

Do you try and help these people? Train hard 3+ days a week and monitor your calorie intake is not as sexy as 90 euro worth of magic juice though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Rye bread tastes just awful.

conzy wrote: »

A) mind my own business

Seeing this really grinds my gears. People obviously do these terrible unhealthy fad diets because they think it will help them change for the better.. You can bet with 99% certainty that she will go back to her terrible nutrition on day 4

Do you try and help these people? Train hard 3+ days a week and monitor your calorie intake is not as sexy as 90 euro worth of magic juice though
    I usually say nothing in these situations. There's a fine line between coming across as helpful or coming across as a d*ck; unfortunately people will usually see you as the latter even though you're just trying to save her time and money.

It's kinda the same with people doing stupid sh*t in the gym. You could try and point out their stupidness and kindly direct them towards the gains-stations aka the squat rack and bench, but people get peeved and can react quite badly, so I usually say nothing too.

To be honest, I just play dumb and either agree with them or just say nothing.

Some people get very defensive and pissy if you give your opinion on a fad. HOw can you ever be right when the diet is in womans weekly?

There is a middle aged overweight woman behind me on a fad diet, has been talking about it the last few days. The more she talks about it and explains how well it works. Well, it just got to be true :rolleyes:

The fact that there are free danish pastries going and she is eating one at her desk is rather puzzling :confused:

I just concentrate on what im doing, if someone was ever to ask and I knew what I was talking about, I would happily give my 2c worth. Until then I remain invisible

best to add that this goes for guys too but in my example it so happened to be a woman

I think women are great

A) mind my own business

You're not trying to help her. You're venting YOUR frustrations at her.

She won't care.

She'll think you're trying to make her feel stupid.

It will end badly.

She'll probably throw snots in your lunchbox.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic

I was squatting beside my 2 friends who were squatting. One of them competes at all competitions, is a pt and is an exceptional lifter. The other guy doesnt and is just starting out

As they were squatting the young guy asks me how his squat was that he just done

I was about to say, yeah not bad -looked good but then I just thought. Why ask me? Ask the expert beside you that actually competes and has all the records you dummy :rolleyes:

we all laughed after this and is one of those moments we all look back on and laugh some more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

we all laughed after this and is one of those moments we all look back on and laugh some more

It was hilarious. I'm going to share that anecdote with my gran kids someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

It was hilarious. I'm going to share that anecdote with my gran kids someday.

:D

Slightly off topic

I was squatting beside my 2 friends who were squatting. One of them competes at all competitions, is a pt and is an exceptional lifter. The other guy doesnt and is just starting out

As they were squatting the young guy asks me how his squat was that he just done

I was about to say, yeah not bad -looked good but then I just thought. Why ask me? Ask the expert beside you that actually competes and has all the records you dummy :rolleyes:

Sounds like he was trying to get stuck in tbh.

Or else he deemed your lifts "ugly enough that he won't shoot me down, but kinda ok looking".

...think 'coppers at 4am hot'.

I think he just assumed by my phsique and all round repsect I command in the gym that I must be someone important.

A) mind my own business

If someone tells you they're starting a diet, more than likely they will drop off the diet in three days. It's because they told everyone about it they get the psychological reward without hitting their goals

A) mind my own business

They don't listen. I tried suggesting that there are ways of doing these things without throwing your money down the toilet after the aloe vera sh*t you've just vomited out (not in those words).

But what would I know. I just eat eggs.

If someone tells you they're starting a diet, more than likely they will drop off the diet in three days. It's because they told everyone about it they get the psychological reward without hitting their goals

This.

Hanley wrote: »
    This.

Yep. The trick to doing any sort of recomp or transformation diet is:

keep your mouth shut about it (avoids crabs in the bucket mentality from others)
    stick to the plan and trust your plan
    keep your clothes even if baggy so that at the end when you hit your goals and buy better fitting you can do a M Bison

bison-p-intro.gif

BEHOLD MY GAINS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

To be honest, I just play dumb and either agree with them or just say nothing.

Some people get very defensive and pissy if you give your opinion on a fad. HOw can you ever be right when the diet is in womans weekly?

There is a middle aged overweight woman behind me on a fad diet, has been talking about it the last few days. The more she talks about it and explains how well it works. Well, it just got to be true :rolleyes:

The fact that there are free danish pastries going and she is eating one at her desk is rather puzzling :confused:

I just concentrate on what im doing, if someone was ever to ask and I knew what I was talking about, I would happily give my 2c worth. Until then I remain invisible

best to add that this goes for guys too but in my example it so happened to be a woman

I think women are great

I think some day I am going to stop biting my tongue and just explode into the most scientific, expletive-laden ten-minute fury-rant that has ever been seen.

"No, Susan, you don't have a slow metabolism, magic juice won't undo the god damn icing-covered danishes you eat for breakfast!!!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement