Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

You don't have to be big to know what's what but it seemed like a pointless interruption.

True true. I suppose what I meant by that is, he didn't look like someone who had been going to the gym long enough to be telling people that they're wrong.

Although as it turns out, I think he was correct...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dorgasm wrote: »

Did he call himself a twat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

What would be the overhead press equivalent of a 180 bench would ye say? 140? I have seen heavy benches but dont think ive seen a single person strict press close to 140..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

120-130 probably. 140kg strict press is insanely good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

He was just a random fella in the gym. He's probably about the same age as me and not even remotely big. I've seen him correct other people before too though so I just assume he gets a kick out of it or something.

That would probably annoy me to be honest...

jugger0 wrote: »
    That would probably annoy me to be honest...

Oh it annoyed me alryt. And Alf, he didn't have to tell me himself that he's a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What would be the overhead press equivalent of a 180 bench would ye say? 140? I have seen heavy benches but dont think ive seen a single person strict press close to 140..

155kgs from Klokov.

I'd say 140kgs+ is the preserve of elite weightlifters and strongmen tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Saw a guy strict press 120kg last week in a Dublin gym.

I also saw two separate guys bench 200kg for reps in Hercs years ago. One of which was definitely natural.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Saw a guy strict press 120kg last week in a Dublin gym.

I also saw two separate guys bench 200kg for reps in Hercs years ago. One of which was definitely natural.

Just curious, how can you tell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

True true. I suppose what I meant by that is, he didn't look like someone who had been going to the gym long enough to be telling people that they're wrong.

Some people say a french press is done upright or inclined. And a skullcrusher is laying down (supine).

Others say a skrullcrusher has elbow directly over shoulders, and a (lying) french press has your elbows further up (over head) so bar passes behind your head.

Regardless of form or naming, both are working the triceps in the same way, so the guy wasn't really "correcting" anything imo.
    60-66% is probably the normal ratio between a strict press and bench.
    So that'd be a 108-120kg press. 140kg would be equivalent to a somewhere north of 200kg

• Advertisement

Just curious, how can you tell?

He was a world champion powerlifter in a drug free federation. I'm aware that doesn't 100% guarantee anything but having some idea of the character of the person in question, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He was a world champion powerlifter in a drug free federation. I'm aware that doesn't 100% guarantee anything but having some idea of the character of the person in question, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
    These discussions are always tricky. Ireland’s a small pond, especially in niche sports.
    A random hypothetical on the internet quickly becomes allegations at a named individual.

Not talking about your post by the way, but down the line where turns towards drug test verses drug free.

Mellor wrote: »
    These discussions are always tricky. Ireland’s a small pond, especially in niche sports.
    A random hypothetical on the internet quickly becomes allegations at a named individual.

Not talking about your post by the way, but down the line where turns towards drug test verses drug free.

Fully agree, which is why I would never name names, for positive reasons or otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Pretty sure i know exactly who this is, and would agree with Sugar Free's assertation.

I think I coulda been in the gym that day... he did 3x5 @ 200kg or summit, no lift out or safety racks.

I was there deadlifting and was like "ummm X.. want a spot or anything?" and his response was "nah, it's just a light workout".

I also know another 200kg raw drug free bencher in there.

Got off the train this morning and for the first time in a long time I looked up and thought "F**k...stairs".

A visit from The DOMS of Workouts Past :(

I was just sad i had to walk anything

Wtb energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Got off the train this morning and for the first time in a long time I looked up and thought "F**k...stairs".

A visit from The DOMS of Workouts Past :(

Doing Smolov at the moment. Stairs can **** right off tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Doing Smolov at the moment. Stairs can **** right off tbh.

Keep fibre low for the time being.

Unless there are support rails in the jacks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Why do split squats DOMS seem to last forever. And when they do finally go it's legs day again and it doesn't get better! O the toilet pains. I just want to sit down without holding the door handle as support for dear life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

most weeks I get "doms" but some weeks I dont

I dont train any more or less on the weeks that I dont

interesting

most weeks I get "doms" but some weeks I dont

I dont train any more or less on the weeks that I dont

interesting

There might be some sort of correlation with hedgehogs in your apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Why do split squats DOMS seem to last forever. And when they do finally go it's legs day again and it doesn't get better! O the toilet pains. I just want to sit down without holding the door handle as support for dear life!

My work commute on the bike seems to stretch DOMS out for a few days after leg day. It's a little frustrating. I've started trying to time it so that Friday is squats day so at least I have the weekend to recover.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

For all the big benches, I've never seen anyone strict press over 100kg.

I went after it myself for a while, didn't even get close.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I roasted a chicken last night and left the leftovers in a tupperware container on the counter to cool down. I forgot to put it in the fridge before bed. :( Will I die if I eat it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I roasted a chicken last night and left the leftovers in a tupperware container on the counter to cool down. I forgot to put it in the fridge before bed. Will I die if I eat it?

Na I've done this a few times

• Advertisement

I roasted a chicken last night and left the leftovers in a tupperware container on the counter to cool down. I forgot to put it in the fridge before bed. :( Will I die if I eat it?

Despite the hysteria, cooked food doesn't really need to be refrigerated to stay good. It'll stay edible longer alright but overnight is not a problem.

they/them/theirs

I credit my good immune system to my liberal attitude towards things like you've mentioned and also best before dates. If it passes the sniff test, horse it down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Na I've done this a few times

i pretty much do it everyday - won't be chicken everyday but you get the picture. cooked at night, left in box overnight and brought to work and eaten.cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Brian? wrote: »
    Despite the hysteria, cooked food doesn't really need to be refrigerated to stay good. It'll stay edible longer alright but overnight is not a problem.

Would rice be the exception?

Caliden wrote: »

Rice is absolutely an exception! I should have said that.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »
    Rice is absolutely an exception! I should have said that.

I dunno, I've eaten rice which was 2 or 3 days old and wasn't kept in a refrigerator and nothing happened. I have a very strong immune system though and only get sick every few years, so I'm probably an exception to this exception.

I'm a bit like dorgasm; if it smells good, it's good.

I dunno, I've eaten rice which was 2 or 3 days old and wasn't kept in a refrigerator and nothing happened. I have a very strong immune system though and only get sick every few years, so I'm probably an exception to this exception.

I'm a bit like dorgasm; if it smells good, it's good.

I often snack of the nuked food that has been lying in the microwave for months, maybe even years

when im taking the fresh stuff out, I often notice the old stuff has become soft and loose again so I just pick it off with my finger and in my mouth it pops

I dunno, I've eaten rice which was 2 or 3 days old and wasn't kept in a refrigerator and nothing happened.
    "Nothing happened" isn't the same as "it's safe".
    There are probably heroin user who’ve been share needles all the time and nothing has happened.

Mellor wrote: »
    "Nothing happened" isn't the same as "it's safe".
    There are probably heroin user who’ve been share needles all the time and nothing has happened.

Well I've gotten sick once in the past 4 years, and I eat leftover rice usually 2-3 times a week.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but as I said, it could be my beast of an immune system that makes me the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

apparently the trick for cooling rice and avoiding a dodgy stomach is to cool to rice as fast as possible after cooking it, so don't let it cool by itself at room temperature, throw a load of cold water over it first then set it aside.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    apparently the trick for cooling rice and avoiding a dodgy stomach is to cool to rice as fast as possible after cooking it, so don't let it cool by itself at room temperature, throw a load of cold water over it first then set it aside.

Saw the explanation behind this last week. There's a bacteria in inactive rice and it produces some sort of protective spore in order to survive the cooking process. Cooling the rice slowly allows the spore to develop and it can produce the toxin that causes the sickness.

I had no idea about any of this

Is it ok stuck in the fridge straight away
    I usually cook specifically enough for that dinner but made too much last night

bluewolf wrote: »
    I had no idea about any of this

Is it ok stuck in the fridge straight away
    I usually cook specifically enough for that dinner but made too much last night

Yeah, should be. It just needs to be cooled quickly so things like running it under cold water in a colander or splitting it into portions keeping it in containers so that it's not piled too high (so it all cools through quicker) would help.

had no idea either. Sometimes ignorance is bliss:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I would often have rice left over in lunch box overnight.
    What the reasoning behind the rice?

I've havent been sick in my stomach in years though.

I'd be like MM - if I don't die from it , it's grand

• Advertisement

arayess wrote: »
    I would often have rice left over in lunch box overnight.
    What the reasoning behind the rice?

I've havent been sick in my stomach in years though.

I'd be like MM - if I don't die from it , it's grand

Once the rice has been cooled properly and it's kept reasonably cool, you'll get a few days out of it.

Didn't they have a thing recently about it having less calories if you cool then reheat it

bluewolf wrote: »
    Didn't they have a thing recently about it having less calories if you cool then reheat it

Yeah, IIRC it was to do with cooling it for 12 hours or some such would convert more of the digestible starch to resistant (non-digestible) starch. The key was cooking it with some coconut oil.

#Science

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sure the best way to make fried rice is to use cold cooked rice! Back when I made rice I'd always make extra and leave in the fridge so I could fry it up the next day....yum.

Sure the best way to make fried rice is to use cold cooked rice! Back when I made rice I'd always make extra and leave in the fridge so I could fry it up the next day....yum.

Scramble an egg and chop it up into little pieces. Mix with the fried rice. Unreal.

Scramble an egg and chop it up into little pieces. Mix with the fried rice. Unreal.

Easier to just crack the egg in with the rice as you fry it, no?

I feel silly now. That sounds much easier!

Only if you want to make bad fried rice.

What I do is beat together 2 eggs, minced ginger, minced garlic and soy sauce. Throw that in the wok, I
    Cooks pretty much instantly. Throw on cold rice and stir fry te bejesus out of it. I usually add in cooked chicken, peas and prawns.

That's good eating right there.

they/them/theirs

Now i am hungry

• Advertisement

Only if you want to make bad fried rice.

What I do is beat together 2 eggs, minced ginger, minced garlic and soy sauce. Throw that in the wok, I
    Cooks pretty much instantly. Throw on cold rice and stir fry te bejesus out of it. I usually add in cooked chicken, peas and prawns.

That's good eating right there.

I didn't necessarily mean in that order.

Just that you don't have to cook the eggs separately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement