Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Hmm sounds interesting, have you got a recipe?

Got the idea from this guy

He has some decent recipes, Would recommend the Tuna "patty" too.

I'd usually eat it with some salad and salsa or ketchup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I bought half a pound which made 4 turkey patties, is that too much for dinner when fat loss is the goal?
    Typical mcdonalds small burgers would be about 2oz, a half pound is 8 oz, so 4 makes sense.

Normal chicken fillets would be 110-140g, so a half pound of turkey (227g) is like 2 small chicken fillets.

What are people's thoughts on ketchup for the turkey patties?
    I would recommend franks hot sauce or other spices if you are worried about calories.
    Brian? wrote: »
    You made meat pizza?
    Meatza! that's an actual term many use if you are searching. I mix flour in with regular beef mince so it soaks up the fat and sort of holds it better together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

rubadub wrote: »
    Typical mcdonalds small burgers would be about 2oz, a half pound is 8 oz, so 4 makes sense.

Normal chicken fillets would be 110-140g, so a half pound of turkey (227g) is like 2 small chicken fillets.

I would recommend franks hot sauce or other spices if you are worried about calories.

Thanks Rubadub :)

Going to try the turkey based pizza this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I was reading something there a while ago about Franks Hot Sauce and about it not being so good in reality Nandos hot sauce is much better. I know someone who is a competitive bodybuilder who swears by nando's and won't touch Frank's

Something about the larger bottles of Franks Hot Sauce are labelled in America and nutritional values can be and are rounded down to a 5ml serving. Were as its actually 30g carbs per 100g.

Meatza! that's an actual term many use if you are searching. I mix flour in with regular beef mince so it soaks up the fat and sort of holds it better together.

Would oats work just aswell and be better for you? Instead of flour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was reading something there a while ago about Franks Hot Sauce and about it not being so good in reality Nandos hot sauce is much better. I know someone who is a competitive bodybuilder who swears by nando's and won't touch Frank's
    Not good in what way?
    You've read about it. I've tried it. It's great stuff tbh.

Does your bodybuilder mate not like it, or does he think the macros are bad?
    Something about the larger bottles of Franks Hot Sauce are labelled in America and nutritional values can be and are rounded down to a 5ml serving. Were as its actually 30g carbs per 100g.
    HaHa. Go and try have a 100ml serving of Franks and come back to us.
    5g is about right. It's virtually nutritionally negligible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    Not good in what way?

I'm going to say something quite controversial here.

Franks Red Hot sauce, is not a good hot sauce. It's actually a very very poor hot sauce. Nothing to do with macro nutrients, it's just a poor sauce. The only reason people in Ireland think it's good is due to limited choice.

The greatest hot sauces are all Mexican:

tapatio.jpg

original_productgroup.png

0009733900005_500X500.jpg

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Mellor wrote: »
    Not good in what way?

Haha relax yourself I was only asking questions ;).

I have tried it and I do like it, I use it when I'm making turkey burgers.

He was on about the macros, basically saying the labels are misleading and Nandos is much better.

I read the stickies in order to calculate my macros.

According to them, I should have:
    • 47% Protein
    • 30% Carbs
    • 23% Fat

Are these the correct macros if I'm looking to lower bf %, or are they maintenance macros? It didn't say in the stickies, if it did I missed it.

I read the stickies in order to calculate my macros.

According to them, I should have:
    • 47% Protein
    • 30% Carbs
    • 23% Fat

Are these the correct macros if I'm looking to lower bf %, or are they maintenance macros? It didn't say in the stickies, if it did I missed it.

Both I think, it's the kcals you vary.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

As long as you eat the hookers this daily lol is factually accurate

s3ZFuSx.jpg

This is most likely the nasty franks sauce, the "wings sauce" with the fake butter in it. The normal original "redhot" stuff says 0% carbs

INGREDIENTS:
    Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Natural Flavor and Garlic Powder
    http://www.franksredhot.com/products/hot-sauce
    Would oats work just aswell and be better for you? Instead of flour.
    I have use liquidised dry oats for it too and it was fine.
    Franks Red Hot sauce, is not a good hot sauce. It's actually a very very poor hot sauce. Nothing to do with macro nutrients, it's just a poor sauce. The only reason people in Ireland think it's good is due to limited choice
    Its popularity is not just particular to Ireland, I have tried loads and much prefer it to any I got, in the cooking forum there are lads who have seemingly tried well more than me and keep going back. So I don't know how you could honestly say it is very very poor relative to other similar sauces (same heat & makeup)

The main complaint I hear is that its simply not hot, and it is certainly not that hot, its VERY mild and that is what many people like about it, there is taste to it, it's not just raw heat. More a complaint of "pffff, they call that redhot, THIS is hot sauce" and show some sauce which is the equivalent of spraying food with police pepper spray.

Both I think, it's the kcals you vary.

Up to now, I've been getting most of my kcals from Fat, then Protein, then Carbs (approx 14%).

And I'm not losing. Afraid if I increase Carbs then I'll pile on the weight. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Up to now, I've been getting most of my kcals from Fat, then Protein, then Carbs (approx 14%).

And I'm not losing. Afraid if I increase Carbs then I'll pile on the weight. :confused:

I think he means the amount of calories you are eating.

Its popularity is not just particular to Ireland, I have tried loads and much prefer it to any I got, in the cooking forum there are lads who have seemingly tried well more than me and keep going back. So I don't know how you could honestly say it is very very poor relative to other similar sauces (same heat & makeup)

I don't know how you can't. There is no complexity to the flavour at all. It's not made from chillies, it's made from cayenne pepper. I think this is why it lacks flavour. It's a little bit hot and a lot vinegar, it does nothing for me.

The main complaint I hear is that its simply not hot, and it is certainly not that hot, its VERY mild and that is what many people like about it, there is taste to it, it's not just raw heat. More a complaint of "pffff, they call that redhot, THIS is hot sauce" and show some sauce which is the equivalent of spraying food with police pepper spray.

Have you tried the sauces I posted pictures of? None of them are outrageously hot. They are hot enough to really enjoy the heat and have a nice complexity to the flavour.

I don't really bother with mad hot sauce, what's the point? It ruins everything it touches normally.

I keep this stuff in the house:

http://www.amazon.com/Melindas-Naga-Jolokia/dp/B002ATCFX4

I use it to add pure heat when I feel chilli or curry is not quite hot enough. I wouldn't put it near anything else though.

they/them/theirs

I think he means the amount of calories you are eating.

Yup

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Whoever posted the picture of the Cholula hot sauce is correct. You can get it in Superquinn and Gourmet Food Parlour (and I'm sure loads of other places but that's where I've seen it). It is phenomenal and should be added to everything.

It helps you lean out whilst adding 50kg to your squat in three weeks and enhancing your <insert body part here> whilst also saving starving orphans and helping unicorns come back from extinction.

Source: science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

and helping unicorns come back from extinction.

Quite possibly the best reason to do anything.

Gonna attempt to make a "meatza" on saturday

Going with
    400g turkey mince base

Toppings:

1 green pepper
    1 boiled egg sliced
    80g ham
    30g salami
    50g mozarella
    mushroom
    120g tomato passata

Calories: 908

Macros:

31g fat (14g saturated)
    14g carbs
    141g protein

Stay tuned! :pac:

Going to start a food blog too, I tend to take photos of most new things I cook and record the macros so I may as well share, would be good to have a site with all irish ingredients because a lot of the youtube channels etc are US based and its hard get the equivelant ingredients

I don't know how you can't.
    I would not call it very very poor since I have tasted far worse, plenty of them. I will keep an eye out for the ones you recommend, but no matter how good they are I cannot ever see me describing franks as very poor, because then what do I call all the others!

Franks is also €2 when frequently on offer, which I think is good value. There are ridiculously long threads about franks with people raving about it. Maybe its the budweiser of hot sauces in that way.

There is/was a shop in the foodhall in liffey street in dublin city which had a massive selection of hot sauces.

conzy wrote: »

Going to start a food blog too, I tend to take photos of most new things I cook and record the macros so I may as well share, would be good to have a site with all irish ingredients because a lot of the youtube channels etc are US based and its hard get the equivelant ingredients

Be sure to throw up a link :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Just had my first meatza, holy baby Jesus it was good and a piece of piss to make. Used turkey as the base.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

dylbert wrote: »
    Just had my first meatza, holy baby Jesus it was good and a piece of piss to make. Used turkey as the base.

Snap!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/300042/270567.jpg

There was mozzarella and home made tomato sauce on afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

A guy in the gym told me today that I didn't know how to spot because, after I hauled a 100kg bar off his chest and he insisted on going for a second rep - 'but help me with this one' -, I let it sit on his chest for a couple of seconds to teach him a lesson. Maybe I was in the wrong... But I laughed at him anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

A guy in the gym told me today that I didn't know how to spot because, after I hauled a 100kg bar off his chest and he insisted on going for a second rep - 'but help me with this one' -, I let it sit on his chest for a couple of seconds to teach him a lesson. Maybe I was in the wrong... But I laughed at him anyway.

Sounds like a perfect spot.

Other acceptable method;

Walk around to side of bar. Remove plate or two. Go to other side. Repeat. Tell him "now it's all you bro".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

he was probably looking for a 'bodybuilding spot' and not a 'powerlifting spot' ;)

It was my favourite thing to see when working in a gym, people getting stapled to the bench with no spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Rack pull it off his chest "ITS ALL YOU BRO" high 5 as you walk away. Fix your shades before your own set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't know how you can't. There is no complexity to the flavour at all. It's not made from chillies, it's made from cayenne pepper. I think this is why it lacks flavour. It's a little bit hot and a lot vinegar, it does nothing for me.
    I'm not sure what you mean by no chilli. Cayanne peppers are chilli peppers.
    I also like vinegar in general, so that's obviously gonna help it appeal to me.
    Have you tried the sauces I posted pictures of? None of them are outrageously hot. They are hot enough to really enjoy the heat and have a nice complexity to the flavour.

I've tried the Cholula one, original and chipolte I think. It's availible in most Mexican restaurents near me. It's defo one I'd pick up if I seem it. Along with franks and siracha (sp?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It was my favourite thing to see when working in a gym, people getting stapled to the bench with no spot.

Happened to me a few months ago. Took my eye off the bar re-racking after a lift. Missed the rack on one side. Morto. Good reminder of why I never benched without a spot. :D

This made my morning

MQXYf9F.gif

• Advertisement

Looking to do some additional work on my rest days, I do a 5x5 style program with accessory work 3 times a week and today is a rest day.

I used to go for a 7km run on my "rest" days but I was tired and sore a lot and it was stalling my lifts.

I'm mad to spend more time in the gym. Today I was thinking of doing some core / grip work, heavy single handed farmers walks and some weighted planks etc and maybe some rowing or crosstrainer afterwards for some cardio.

I'm at a calorie deficit, does this seem like a good idea or am I going to do more harm than good? I don't want it to impact my regular training sessions

conzy wrote: »
    I'm at a calorie deficit, does this seem like a good idea or am I going to do more harm than good? I don't want it to impact my regular training sessions

Here's how I stick in extra sessions when I want. Pick the lift you want to improve, keep the reps 5 and under, I normally use 3's work up to about 85% of what you'd use for those reps and then do sets for 10-15 minutes stopping if your bar speed drops or you start grinding. I'll normally do something small in between sets to fill the gaps. Ie bench press sets of 3 super setted with ring rear delt flies.

That said you can never go wrong with some explosive work, med balls are always fun if you got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Used a foam roller for the first time this evening. I'm amazed at some of the tender points in my calves. I knew it would be sore but there were a couple of points that really were sore.

My first experience of a foam roller was on the IT band. I nearly cried. You could probably leave 'nearly' out of that last sentence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Wait until you move onto a grid roller and/or anyone of hockey/lacrosse/golf balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

This made my morning

MQXYf9F.gif

Longer version :pac:

Finally got around to trying a meatza have to say I liked it and will certainly be making that again :). 500g turkey base, with pepperoni, chorizo and bacon for toppings.

64a4f021-cfb2-414a-bbeb-09a0a2955b24_zps97b24427.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭COH

4MzzSK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

This seems legit;

"THE SQUAT"

Down this road, in a gym far away,
    a young man was heard to say,
    "no matter what I do, my legs won't grow"
    he tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses , too
    trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do.

from the corner of the gym where the big men train,
    through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain
    where the noise is made with big forty fives,
    a deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees.
    a very big man with legs like trees.

laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack
    chalking his hands and monstrous back,
    said, "boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten,
    the trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'."

• Advertisement

3vqch7.jpg

Cold this morning!

Much prefer lifting when its cold. If your cold you just add layers. When its too hot its a nightmare

Much prefer lifting when its cold. If your cold you just add layers. When its too hot its a nightmare

eh.... topless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hanley wrote: »
    eh.... topless?

We aren't all fitness cover model ripped I'm afraid.

The heat for a few weeks there in June and July was intolerable, made for a bunch of uncomfortable training sessions. Bring on the cold.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We aren't all fitness cover model ripped I'm afraid.

The heat for a few weeks there in June and July was intolerable, made for a bunch of uncomfortable training sessions. Bring on the cold.

Well that's your fault isn't it :D :P

Twas a bit chilly today alright.

I'll have to start wearing pants.

• Advertisement

eh.... topless?

Was topless, it was still too bloody hot.

Having a shed-gym means it doesn't matter if I'm not built like our James(yet)
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well that's your fault isn't it :D :P

Yep. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I would like to go topless.

I think it may backfire on me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

won't know until you try

Some of the girls in raw leave little to the imagination, very distracting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement