Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Thud wrote: »

I don't agree with that kind of structure for toddlers. Play should be fun and not that structured. As for the end statement about not having to rely on out running someone on a soccer field, that's bollocks. Kids shouldn't feel a pressure to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I don't agree with that kind of structure for toddlers. Play should be fun and not that structured. As for the end statement about not having to rely on out running someone on a soccer field, that's bollocks. Kids shouldn't feel a pressure to win.

And at 280 dollars a month for 2 classes a week, it's not cheap either.

I would agree in theory, that children should be engaged in such structured workouts, but these days it has to be. The alternative is a rather sedentary option. Just to add to the 'pressure to win' thing, it's rife these days. It's such a pity that teams get competitive early. I remember when my GAA team became about who is 'starting' the matches, rather than getting everyone on the pitch for a fair rotation.

discus wrote: »
    And at 280 dollars a month for 2 classes a week, it's not cheap either.

I would agree in theory, that children should be engaged in such structured workouts, but these days it has to be. The alternative is a rather sedentary option. Just to add to the 'pressure to win' thing, it's rife these days. It's such a pity that teams get competitive early. I remember when my GAA team became about who is 'starting' the matches, rather than getting everyone on the pitch for a fair rotation.

Exactly. GAA is all about how far along developed a kid is now instead of taking into consideration their actual skill level and tolerance to the game. Teams much prefer at that age, the tall kid carrying a bit of weight in full forward rather than the kid who'd run rings around the hole full back line but doesn't play because he's shorter.

Structured play is grand, as long as it's not ridiculously over structured because they do need to learn boundaries but crossfit at 3.. really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Exactly. GAA is all about how far along developed a kid is now instead of taking into consideration their actual skill level and tolerance to the game. Teams much prefer at that age, the tall kid carrying a bit of weight in full forward rather than the kid who'd run rings around the hole full back line but doesn't play because he's shorter.

Actually, GAA is about the manager picking his kids or relations ahead of better players. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Generation Iron is only on limited release in the US tomorrow. no details about international release. :(

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Generation Iron is only on limited release in the US tomorrow. no details about international release. :(

If you know how to use torrentz it'll probably be up by Monday:)

Hopefully, bit hit and miss with quality of some new releases lately............I hear.

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Hopefully, bit hit and miss with quality of some new releases lately............I hear.

Really? Dam. They better have a good one up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Managed to completely avoid the trainwreck that was 'that' thread.

success-kid-i-hate-sandcastles-ayer.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hmmm, not sure if I avoided it also, or if I was in the train wreck and didn't notice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I completely disagree.

When I lived in the US last year we took my son to this play a couple of times a week:

http://www.greatplay.com/locations/chandler/

It was $60 a month and an absolute bargain at that. He was just over 1 when we started and just about 2 1/2 when we came back to Ireland. He absolutely loved the place and it taught him some great stuff.

Physically he's way ahead of his peers; his motor skills, coordination and balance are unreal for a child of his age. Some of this could be genetic, his Ma has unbelievable hand eye coordination and balance, but watching him progress week by week in what is essentially a gym for toddlers was great.

I reccomended the place to many other parents and all of them agreed about the benefits. I really wish there was a place like this in Ireland.

The only drawback is that I have a 3 year old son with the climbing ability and fearlessness of a spider monkey.

Having said all of that, no feckin way would I pay $280 a month for Crossfit Kids. No chance.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Quick question.

What's the difference, if any, between seated dumbbell overhead press and standing dumbbell overhead press?

Quick question.

What's the difference, if any, between seated dumbbell overhead press and standing dumbbell overhead press?

Standing you work more muscles because you need to stabilise yourself so the core etc is worked. Sitting, you take that out of it. Sitting stops you from overarching your back if that's a problem.

Standing you work more muscles because you need to stabilise yourself so the core etc is worked. Sitting, you take that out of it. Sitting stops you from overarching your back if that's a problem.

Thanks for that.

Yea, I mean it's obviously a somewhat natural thing to arch your back a little more on higher weights. Been doing them seated for stability reasons but wasn't sure of the effects between both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

Brian? wrote: »
    I completely disagree.

Physically he's way ahead of his peers; his motor skills, coordination and balance are unreal for a child of his age. Some of this could be genetic, his Ma has unbelievable hand eye coordination and balance, but watching him progress week by week in what is essentially a gym for toddlers was great.

I reccomended the place to many other parents and all of them agreed about the benefits. I really wish there was a place like this in Ireland.

The only drawback is that I have a 3 year old son with the climbing ability and fearlessness of a spider monkey.

What's he benching now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I completely disagree.

When I lived in the US last year we took my son to this play a couple of times a week:

http://www.greatplay.com/locations/chandler/

OMG that place looks absolutely UNREAL! Can't believe how organised/colourful/structured it appears to be.

I'm sure Ireland is only another 20 odd years behind.

gymfreak wrote: »
    OMG that place looks absolutely UNREAL! Can't believe how organised/colourful/structured it appears to be.

I'm sure Ireland is only another 20 odd years behind.

Ireland has a place just like that in Liffey Valley. My gf worked there for about a year and a half.

The Little Gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I'm not sue which train wreck you're refering to but I've also been avoiding loads of threads at the min.

@ the crosskids idea. Its basically just developmental gymnastics been ripped off. Developmental gymnastics is generally amazing for young kids. The aim is just to get them to play but use their basic motor patterns and some agility training. There's no conditioning or strength training but lots and lots of variety of stimulus which is the most important thing for young nervous systems.

I'm not sue which train wreck you're refering to but I've also been avoiding loads of threads at the min.

@ the crosskids idea. Its basically just developmental gymnastics been ripped off. Developmental gymnastics is generally amazing for young kids. The aim is just to get them to play but use their basic motor patterns and some agility training. There's no conditioning or strength training but lots and lots of variety of stimulus which is the most important thing for young nervous systems.

Any recommendations for places near Celbridge that would do gymnastics for a 3 year old?

they/them/theirs

Any recommendations for places near Celbridge that would do gymnastics for a 3 year old?
    I know this because my mates from down near there that bring their young fle to Excel Gymnastics. I think it's in an industrial estate.

• Advertisement

Ireland has a place just like that in Liffey Valley. My gf worked there for about a year and a half.

The Little Gym

Liffey Valley is only a 15-20 minute drive from Celbridge. Take a loot at the site. If you're genuinely interested in it I could if the missus could work out a small reduction.

Been out of the country too long to know who's teaching where but if you contact http://www.gymnasticsireland.com/ they'll definitely be able to put you in touch with who's local.

Liffey Valley is only a 15-20 minute drive from Celbridge. Take a loot at the site. If you're genuinely interested in it I could if the missus could work out a small reduction.

Looks perfect. I'll talk to herself about it and PM you.

Much appreciated.

they/them/theirs

Thud wrote: »
    What's he benching now?

2x BW equipped.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

OV5ccDA.jpg
    Was in a bit of a rush this morning and had no time for breakfast. Mixed 1 scoop, 1 Berocca with water and a bit of milk. Tastes exactly like a Super Split!

Wrist curls...world of pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've never done wrist curls, don't think I ever will either.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I've never done wrist curls, don't think I ever will either.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Best of intentions and all that.

Does anyone here do twice a day workouts? Just wondering how it's structured for you.

There's some days when I get home from work and just watch TV and cook dinner but would rather do something productive and I've a bunch of weights/bench in the garage along with a heavy bag

Does anyone here do twice a day workouts? Just wondering how it's structured for you.

There's some days when I get home from work and just watch TV and cook dinner but would rather do something productive and I've a bunch of weights/bench in the garage along with a heavy bag

If you're going to do two sessions in the one day, do the heavy lifting in the morning and keep to compounds. Then in the evening you can do more isolation exercises with lighter weights and higher reps (12-15 range).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I train twice a day 2-3 days a week but it's an endurance session and a weights session. Or 2 endurance sessions.

You get very tired after 8-10 days. But could be my age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's nice to have a few exercises that you can do while watching tv/ waiting for your dinner to cook. It's surprising the amount of volume you can get in with exercises such as band pull aparts.

Start a new thread and I can give loads of info

Thanks everyone for that. I've started a new thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I haven't checked the bulletin board recently. Were we aware of this guy? The broscience joke is getting tired but this fella absolutely nails it. The clips in the Smith Machine one sent me over the edge.

Check out the Kali Muscle one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

On a scale of one to ten how odd is it that every time it's the slightest bit warm in my gym, 3-4 lads will be in there working out with no tops on?

On a scale of one to ten how odd is it that every time it's the slightest bit warm in my gym, 3-4 lads will be in there working out with no tops on?

Not very, skinny lads do anything to show off there abs:pac:

One of my mates was training topless one day and was mid set when this crazy fat prick came over and through his t shirt at him and told him to put it on right now that he was fed up of seeing him half naked. The dude is ripped like, jealousy is all I can put it down to. But anyway, my mate obliged and said sure just after this set and the other dude cracked up completely.

They squared off and all. It all separated and the nuts dude said to his mate 'One punch and he'd be dead' and other stuff a long those line that would get me banned as it was racist.

After a few minutes, the two crossed paths again and ended up squaring off once again. The caretaker was passing and asked what had happened and after hearing that my mate had obliged to put his t shirt back on the caretaker had turned and said you can't be doing that and fighting in the gym. To which the nuts guy turned around and said 'You're not the boss of me, I'll do whatever the **** I like' and pushed the caretaker over who's maybe 65-70? The caretaker got up and called the guards. Guards came and after all statements were made and cleared over the nutty dude and his friend were outside all apologetic and friendly.

Morale of the story, don't be over tempered and under patient even when people oblige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Not very, skinny lads do anything to show off there abs:pac:

One of my mates was training topless one day and was mid set when this crazy fat priick came over and through his t shirt at him and told him to put it on right now that he was fed up of seeing him half naked. The dude is ripped like, jealousy is all I can put it down to. But anyway, my mate obliged and said sure just after this set and the other dude cracked up completely.

They squared off and all. It all separated and the nuts dude said to his mate 'One punch and he'd be dead' and other stuff a long those line that would get me banned as it was racist.

After a few minutes, the two crossed paths again and ended up squaring off once again. The caretaker was passing and asked what had happened and after hearing that my mate had obliged to put his t shirt back on the caretaker had turned and said you can't be doing that and fighting in the gym. To which the nuts guy turned around and said 'You're not the boss of me, I'll do whatever the **** I like' and pushed the caretaker over who's maybe 65-70? The caretaker got up and called the guards. Guards came and after all statements were made and cleared over the nutty dude and his friend were outside all apologetic and friendly.

Morale of the story, don't be over tempered and under patient even when people oblige.

Wow! Crazy guy has issues! Looking at a topless guy and having a strong emotional response? Mmmmmh I wonder what his problem really was?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What a bunch of tossers.

• Advertisement

Wow! Crazy guy has issues! Looking at a topless guy and having a strong emotional response? Mmmmmh I wonder what his problem really was?!!

Haha good one!

If my mate had been ignorant and told him where to get off I could understand some bit about squaring off but what he did to the caretaker is in-excusable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

A vest is fair enough but topless is pathetic even if your built like arnie nothing worse than show offs in the gym.

Hanleys emotions have been severely damaged with all these insults about training topless!!

SRFC wrote: »
    A vest is fair enough but topless is pathetic even if your built like arnie nothing worse than show offs in the gym.

Ego lifters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've noticed a trend of a load of youngfellas walking around drinking 2litre bottles of milk as if it's nothing. If I did that my stomach would be in ribbons.

I don't watch other people train when I'm in the gym. If it's warm it's fair enough. Over the summer i had the jocks off an' all. Sun's out,buns out FO SHO!

• Advertisement

I've noticed a trend of a load of youngfellas walking around drinking 2litre bottles of milk as if it's nothing. If I did that my stomach would be in ribbons.

I was doing that before and now I can't have any dairy :pac:

Just noticed the thread on steroids got closed. Mods, I think the talk about it should just get over and done with. People are going to post every now and again over it but at least let this thread, or open another, run through and take its course.

I'm not advocating the use or sale of them but that thread in-particular wasn't advocating the usage. At least if the thread ran, when it got out of hand the lock it but for anyone who does post in future about roids, then just refer them to that.

Outline the charter in the OP and most/all of the current H&F forum users will abide and talk only of the negatives/positives and just have a general discussion.

I know ye'll see this as silly but I think it may be a good idea to get it all out in the air once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

There were a couple of lads doing that in RAW for a while. It was weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Dathai wrote: »
    There were a couple of lads doing that in RAW for a while. It was weird.

I also noticed that. Low fat too. Lulz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Massive lol at it pretending its so hot in ireland that you need to take your top off to train. Even with this years record summer, its a stretch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement