Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Use the trap bar for farmers walks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hanley wrote: »
    THere's no standard. And you'd be doing exceptionally well to pick up 1/2 your max DL per hand with both sides unstable and wobbly.

Just aim for bodyweight per hand, and use %s of that as our marker.

50% x20m
    75% x20m
    90% x20m
    100% x20m
    100%+ x20m

That was my initial presumption, that max above max carry is going to fall short of max deadlift, for all the obvious reasons. But as I was googling a lot of people had a farmers pick up (not walk) that turns ut greater than their deadlift. It's sounded like a contradiction. But the consensus was that depending on the way its set up, the farmer's is pulling from a more upright and often higher position. Like a trap bar, and the difference between the low and high handles.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Use the trap bar for farmers walks

My gym has these;
    http://www.ironedge.com.au/farmers-walk-handles
    Lifting position is pretty similar to trapbar deadlift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

when I weighed myself last night and I was 92.4kg the heaviest I've ever been.
    Great I thought, surely I won't lose that much overnight. Wrong, 3kg lighter by this morning.

http://www.bb-team.org/?ACT=8&fid=18&aid=20642_pglUD4FmjUxJi4oYyPKf&board_id=1 (NSFW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If youre having a 3kg dump I'd seriously consider looking at your diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If youre having a 3kg dump I'd seriously consider looking at your diet
    Followed by contacting the Guinness Book Of Records

• Advertisement

There is 30% off everything on bulkpowders today

bluewolf wrote: »

Exactly what I needed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Exactly what I needed :)

Everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hanley wrote: »
    Everything?

everything
    37I0OUo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

At what point did other people's grip start to become a factor when deadlifting (using double overhand)?

Up to recently I've neglected any sort of grip strength accessory but I've started farmers walks and got sore in muscles I didn't know I had.

My gym has several fat bars for different things (cable row, lat pull down, standard fat bar), would it be worth my while using this when I can?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Caliden wrote: »
    At what point did other people's grip start to become a factor when deadlifting (using double overhand)?

Up to recently I've neglected any sort of grip strength accessory but I've started farmers walks and got sore in muscles I didn't know I had.

My gym has several fat bars for different things (cable row, lat pull down, standard fat bar), would it be worth my while using this when I can?

I can't remember but I usually switch to mixed grip at around the 120kg mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I can't remember but I usually switch to mixed grip at around the 120kg mark.

Yea at that point now and it's the last few reps that I'm struggling with.

No real interest in going with mixed grip so I may deload and try using hookgrip as I plan to start doing cleans in the next couple of months.

Are you trying to improve grip for deadlifting, or something else? Why not mixed grip?

I find deadlifting to be a pretty good grip exercise in itself. I tend to warm up with double overheads till last warmup set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I go double overhand until the last warmup set before working set, then just one warmup with alternate.

Double OH = 180-190
    Mixed = 260-270

Big difference for me.

Fat bars etc aren't great for DL grip IME as they focus mostly on thumb/pinch strength.

There's 3 main kinds of grip strength;

Crushing (closing your hand against resistance)

Supporting (keeping it closed)

Pinch (thumb / open hand gripping)

Deadlifting is mostly supporting strength, and while there's gonna be some carry over, if you want to get better there it makes sense to train that.

So things like barbell holds at the end of workouts would be good. Load up to 60-80% of max DL, hold for 3 sets of 30s. Increase weight and drop 5s each week until you're holding something mad heavy for 3 sets of approx 10s.

I ended up ordering acetyl l carnitine in the sale for the craic
    maybe it'll help me study :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I ended up ordering acetyl l carnitine in the sale for the craic
    maybe it'll help me study :pac:

Good luck drinking it iff it's anything like this stuff :
    https://www.powerbar.eu/en/products/l-carnitin-liquid

Vomited into a ditch thanks to that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

It's pretty mank. Mixed it in with strong lemon and lime creatine after the first go round. I'll see how it goes and if i feel any better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's pretty mank. Mixed it in with strong lemon and lime creatine after the first go round. I'll see how it goes and if i feel any better

That sounds horrific. Creatine seriously upsets my stomach on its own.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thanks to Bluewolf I ended up getting some bulkpowers crunchy peanut butter 30%/off :)

Nicest peanut butter I have ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Took up BJJ a while ago, doing strength training over the years is almost like a curse in it cause i'm just powering through movements when i'm losing and not using proper technique :( Hoping when I get somewhat decent and co-ordinated (have less balance than a blind geriatric on a tightrope) that the strength will help somewhat!

Anyone else here experience the same thing when starting BJJ after strength training over a few years?

TheSegal wrote: »
    Took up BJJ a while ago, doing strength training over the years is almost like a curse in it cause i'm just powering through movements when i'm losing and not using proper technique :( Hoping when I get somewhat decent and co-ordinated (have less balance than a blind geriatric on a tightrope) that the strength will help somewhat!

Anyone else here experience the same thing when starting BJJ after strength training over a few years?

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

yes.

It's not strength training that doing that, it's simply not know what to do. Everyone tries to do it, even if they lack strength- they succeed less though.
    It's just more noticable with a strength base as you are probably getting away with it verses the other new guys who don't know what to do. (Any they prob complain about it).

A good solution is to roll with other people equally as strong, it significantly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Mellor wrote: »
    A good solution is to roll with other people equally as strong, it significantly better.

I usually try to roll with the bigger, stronger guys at training mainly cause it's way more fun and i'm trying to force myself to use technique, i'm a short arse at 5'7". It seems to be working cause i'm getting better at using my hips and positioning myself to escape from mounts. Only problem is when I do get mount I usually get sent flying!

Have to say it's easily the most fun i've had in a sport though and would recommend it to anyone, only doing no-gi at the moment but looking forward to gi. One hour of training BJJ leaves me absolutely exhausted compared to hurling or Muay Thai!

Nicest peanut butter I have ever had.

Don't know if youve tried cashew butter but for me, it's miles ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Way way back in the day in my 2nd or 3rd week of BJJ I was rolling with a guy that was using me as a submission dummy while he was being coached but I was being told nothing.
    He pulls me into guard, I get off my knees and onto my feet and lift him slightly trying to get him to slide off
    His buddy says don't hold on and he asks why just as I fling him up to about chest height and slam him down onto the mat. "That's why" says the friend.
    I was always crap but I was always thinking

Way way back in the day in my 2nd or 3rd week of BJJ I was rolling with a guy that was using me as a submission dummy while he was being coached but I was being told nothing.
    He pulls me into guard, I get off my knees and onto my feet and lift him slightly trying to get him to slide off
    His buddy says don't hold on and he asks why just as I fling him up to about chest height and slam him down onto the mat. "That's why" says the friend.
    I was always crap but I was always thinking

Lol
    His mate was the brains of the operation then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I train ufc so I know what you mean lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

next week is greek week in lidl
    lovely food says me

their greek yogurt is really nice (imo) and cheap it's not fat free but I pity anybody who limits their choice to fat free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Brian? wrote: »
    That sounds horrific. Creatine seriously upsets my stomach on its own.

I know this is not the same thing, but I find protein bars (or the ones I've tasted so far) upset my stomach for whatever reason.

I think some of them have that fake sugar syrup stuff isnt it? I don't have em anymore but they did that to me yeah

I think some of them have that fake sugar syrup stuff isnt it? I don't have em anymore but they did that to me yeah

I was wondering if I was the only one. I can't seem to tolerate them, it could be due to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I was wondering if I was the only one. I can't seem to tolerate them, it could be due to that.

Polyols I'd say - a lot of protein bars have them.

Creatine also upsets my stomach if I have it in a shake etc. The only way I can tolerate it is to mix it with hot water so it dissolves better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mint chic protein makes me feel ill.

I think its down to the presence of the f*cking disgusting taste.

I never got the hype about protein bars especially Quest ones. Even heated they tasted chalky to me. People go on about them as if they are the best thing they ever ate (maybe I'm eating/heating them wrong). Cliff bars were a little better (unheated) but they still upset my stomach. I just stay away from them now, not worth the hassle even if they are quick.

• Advertisement

Don't get mint choc anything - it's like eating chocolate after brushing your teeth or sth :eek:

As an aside tried the Bulkpowders White Chocolate whey for the first time today - a little disappointed after rocking through Chocolate Peanut, Chocolate Cookies, Vanilla & Toffee Popcorn which were all fantastic. Maybe I'll keep it for baking with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I never got the hype about protein bars especially Quest ones. Even heated they tasted chalky to me. People go on about them as if they are the best thing they ever ate (maybe I'm eating/heating them wrong). Cliff bars were a little better (unheated) but they still upset my stomach. I just stay away from them now, not worth the hassle even if they are quick.

If they weren't ridiculously expensive I'd be buying them everyday. Don't know about Quest bars as I've never seen them on offer, but Maximuscle or Powerbar protein bars were gorgeous.

I only get them the odd time when they're going for €1-2 in holland and barrett though. They go great with some tea.

Polyols I'd say - a lot of protein bars have them.

Creatine also upsets my stomach if I have it in a shake etc. The only way I can tolerate it is to mix it with hot water so it dissolves better.

So your basically having creatine tea :) ?

Pro elite do a creatine that disolves very well in cold water

I got choc orange and tried it there last night. Bit sweet for me and i love terrys choc orange...

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    So your basically having creatine tea :) ?

Pro elite do a creatine that disolves very well in cold water

Yeah, pretty much (though I do actually mix it in with a cinnamon tea bag too :)). Maybe I should start selling it as a new product :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Does the mint choc protein taste anything like the mint chocolate mooju?
    If it does im buying it next time

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Does the mint choc protein taste anything like the mint chocolate mooju?
    If it does im buying it next time

Remember Mr Soft from the Softmints ads?

It tastes like he took a dump in your mouth after a night on the Guinness.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Enjoy.

Thanks for that....mental image.

vlcsnap-01459.jpg?w=646

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

lenny and larrys are nice enough, so are quest peanut butter cups

Enjoy.

Had to google him, that ad looks super ancient:o

Had to google him, that ad looks super ancient:o

I'm super ancient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

So am I, apparently :(

Lifting question here

Lately I've noticed my front squat is getting really close to my back squat, like they're only about 10kg apart now and my front squat is still progressing faster. I dont actually know anyone with a ratio like that, is this something that happens? or does it mean im sucking at back squats?

Lifting question here

Lately I've noticed my front squat is getting really close to my back squat, like they're only about 10kg apart now and my front squat is still progressing faster. I dont actually know anyone with a ratio like that, is this something that happens? or does it mean im sucking at back squats?

Your front squat max would be of the order of 90% of your high bar back squat max. You're in that ball park.

Lifting question here

If you front squat 90kg and back squat 100kg, that's about right.

If you front squat 140kg and back squt 150kg... that's not right.

It's probably just because you're doing more front squats tho - or they're a newwer movement.

What are the numbers out of interest?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement