Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

EmcD123 wrote: »
    The chinese weightlifting nationals are serious this year, from what I can see theres been at least one unofficial world record made in every weight class,its crazy.

And here's Tian Tao unofficially breaking a clean and jerk record that was set in 1998 by 2kg, love this guys technique

@0:22 in the vid, am I the only person that hears the commentator say "f*ck me!" ?? lol

Must be an internationally recognised response to watching amazing sh*t... No translation required. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Mellor wrote: »
    Very easy with the right equipment. Not something you can do at home, could maybe post it to a lab

Sweet. I'll get someone I know in college to bring it into the lab and do some science-y stuff with it.

Just have always been curious to how 'free' companies have been when advertising protein content vs what's actually in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

nobbo wrote: »
    Sweet. I'll get someone I know in college to bring it into the lab and do some science-y stuff with it.

Just have always been curious to how 'free' companies have been when advertising protein content vs what's actually in it.

What you want is something like this.
    http://www.bio-rad.com/en-ie/product/bradford-protein-assay

Might be hard to get though if you're not affiliated with some lab. They are cheap though , 1000 assays for about $28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

nobbo wrote: »

It's worth noting that the numbers quoted are probably on a dry basis.
    So if something is listing at 78% protein, that's the dry value. Protein is probably hygroscopic, so 100g of powder sitting air will take on a bit of moisture. Then if it takes on a 5% moisture, those 78g are now less than 75%.

It's not misleading to quote the dry basis, as long as the 1kg in the tub is 1kg on a dry basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Hotel I'm staying in this weekend confirmed they've no squat rack or bench...sad face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    Hotel I'm staying in this weekend confirmed they've no squat rack or bench...sad face

Did you check their cancellation policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

On the bright side, more time to focus on dem curlz wha??

On the bright side, more time to focus on dem curlz wha??
    How can i curl without a squat rack :eek:

just double OH 360kg DL for 2 reps nothing to see here

https://www.instagram.com/p/BELwlReDm9d/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I DL 140kg today and am thinking "not bad Kew, getting stronger bro" then I see Video above and I realise I'm weak bastard.:pac:

just double OH 360kg DL for 2 reps nothing to see here

Massive pull but it wasn't double overhand. It's a hook grip.

I congratulate myself when i manage to hookgrip 70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

I congratulate myself when i manage to hookgrip 70

I've found hook grip to be the most natural and comfortable way to grip the bar,its awesome, people make it sound so hard.

I've found hook grip to be the most natural and comfortable way to grip the bar,its awesome, people make it sound so hard.

I feel like I'm going to lose fingernails anytime I try it out. I could maybe get used to it, but I don't see the benefit in investing lots of discomfort to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I DL 140kg today and am thinking "not bad Kew, getting stronger bro" then I see Video above and I realise I'm weak bastard.:pac:

It's all relative buddy and there will always be someone stronger than you out there!! :) Your achievements take your work and effort, so always worth celebrating.

I feel like I'm going to lose fingernails anytime I try it out. I could maybe get used to it, but I don't see the benefit in investing lots of discomfort to get there.

If youre doing to do olympic lifting its a pretty big thing. It helps with the turnover and it relaxes your arms muscles so they dont get overinvolved during the pull and extension,its really really hard to snatch without it.

Do you have small fingers? I know a few people who get that feeling with their fingernails and I dont really get it since it doesnt really touch your nail. Your finger should be on the bit of skin between the nail and the joint on the thumb not actually on the nail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I think with hook grip some people make the mistake of wrapping their thumb around and under the bar so that all the weight is pressing down on the thumb, the thumb should be placed along side the back of the bar with the fingers wrapped around and kind of anchoring the thumb in place, if that make sense?

If youre doing to do olympic lifting its a pretty big thing. It helps with the turnover and it relaxes your arms muscles so they dont get overinvolved during the pull and extension,its really really hard to snatch without it.

Do you have small fingers? I know a few people who get that feeling with their fingernails and I dont really get it since it doesnt really touch your nail. Your finger should be on the bit of skin between the nail and the joint on the thumb not actually on the nail
    I meant in relation to deadlifts.

As you mentioned. I actually have that problem with my cleans, too "armsy". I've tried hook grip before, but found I was losing it between reps. I'll give it another go. Weigh is nowhere near deadlift load so shouldn't be uncomfortable.

I've never tried to snatch with hook grip. Maybe that's what holding all those kilos back :D

• Advertisement

I meant in relation to deadlifts.

As you mentioned. I actually have that problem with my cleans, too "armsy". I've tried hook grip before, but found I was losing it between reps. I'll give it another go. Weigh is nowhere near deadlift load so shouldn't be uncomfortable.

I've never tried to snatch with hook grip. Maybe that's what holding all those kilos back :D

I can snatch only 50% of my max without hookgrip,but my grip is really weak.I usually struggle with opening and closing the clips on the bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Do you mean from the start, or that you don't keep maintain it once the bar is overhead? The only time I've heard of snatching without using hookgrip is in drills to practise the drop, or if doing high reps.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Do you mean from the start, or that you don't keep maintain it once the bar is overhead? The only time I've heard of snatching without using hookgrip is in drills to practise the drop, or if doing high reps.
    No hookgrip at all. I don't think I've ever once used a hookgrip with a snatch grip.

To clarify, I've had zero oly coaching. None. Snatches are something I just started doing myself recently. And technique videos I've worked on has been to do with the timeing the second pull.
    I can snatch only 50% of my max without hookgrip,but my grip is really weak.I usually struggle with opening and closing the clips on the bar
    What's your max? And what can you snatch double overhand?
    It would be amazing if this simple change could double my max snatch. But I'd be surprised if it adds anything, I don't think grip is a limiting factor.
    Although it it helps me be less armsy, it might contribute over time

No hookgrip at all. I don't think I've ever once used a hookgrip with a snatch grip.

To clarify, I've had zero oly coaching. None. Snatches are something I just started doing myself recently. And technique videos I've worked on has been to do with the timeing the second pull.

What's your max? And what can you snatch double overhand?
    It would be amazing if this simple change could double my max snatch. But I'd be surprised if it adds anything, I don't think grip is a limiting factor.
    Although it it helps me be less armsy, it might contribute over time

I snatch 82, and my double overhand is 40 maybe 42 if I really try. It really helps for developing speed into the hip,keeps it more secure in your hands and this is anecdotal but I find it a lot easier to generate speed in the turnover with a hookgrip because the bar is just that bit more tight to your hand kinda like if you use straps.

IANAOLYC... but the hookgrip really is a fundamental part of the olympic lifts. You have to remember the olympic lifts are not just a power movement, they are an athletic movement requiring control of the power you generate.

Think of the children's toy that consists of a ball on a piece of string attached to a cup. You have to pop the ball up and catch it in the cup. The first thing you do is fling the ball up into the air, then you position the cup underneath the ball to catch it. Your arms are the rope attached to the ball. Your thighs and hips are the muscles that toss the bar into the air, not your arms. In a sense, all your arms do is allow the energy to be transferred to the bar and guide the bar along a vertical path. If your arms are too tense they absorb more of the energy than they should, this is what happens when you use an overhand grip.

Using hook grip allows you to maximise the power of your big leg and hip muscles, while keeping your arms loose enough to allow you to drop underneath the bar. If you think it's not as strong, try deadhanging from a bar using different grips. It can put a lot of pressure on your thumb though which is why it's a good idea to use it even on the light lifts to build up tolerance to that.

I snatch 82, and my double overhand is 40 maybe 42 if I really try. It really helps for developing speed into the hip,keeps it more secure in your hands and this is anecdotal but I find it a lot easier to generate speed in the turnover with a hookgrip because the bar is just that bit more tight to your hand kinda like if you use straps.
    Best snatch is 55kg (double overhand). more a power snatch though. With the width of a snatch grip tends to benonly 3 fingers and thumb.

I tried a hook grip for cleans today. Definitely helped remove my arms from the movement. Which is an issue I've been having. I'm due to snatch 50kg for a double tomorrow, suppose I better I'll try out the hook grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

You have to remember the olympic lifts are not a power movement, they are an athletic movement.

Not sure I would agree with that. They do require athleticism but also have a large power component as well. There is a lot more power generated during a snatch/clean than a deadlift for example.

DylanJM wrote: »
    Not sure I would agree with that. They do require athleticism but also have a large power component as well. There is a lot more power generated during a snatch/clean than a deadlift for example.

Poorly phrased, you're dead right. Of course power is a component of it, I was trying to say it's not only about power, it's about how much force you can generate, and how you can control the force, in a non-Jedi sense. :D

I think sometimes the word 'pull' can be distracting, as it can be understood to emphasise pulling the bar up with your arms, instead of driving it up with your entire body.

IANAOLYC... but the hookgrip really is a fundamental part of the olympic lifts. You have to remember the olympic lifts are not a power movement, they are an athletic movement.
    I'm not sure what your definition of "athletic movement" is but I'd definitely consider the Olympic lifts to be a display of power.
    Work done/time taken = power.

The technical aspects you mention all makes sense. It's like trying to transfer as much energy into the bar as possible. Rather than bleeding energy everywhere (like I do)

(Edit: posted that before I seen your post above)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Personally I find no difference between hook-gripping or over-hand gripping my snatches as they're still ****e anyway...

I still hook-grip every rep I do just to get used to it, but my grip strength is decently good (can hold 140 double overhand for 30secs) and hook-gripping anything over 100 is quite painful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

For anyone who thinks hook grip doesn't matter in weightlifting, you're prolly just not strong enough on the movement for it to be a limiting factor.

PS - tape over the middle portion of your thumb is a game changer when it comes to your thumbs not hurting

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    For anyone who thinks hook grip doesn't matter in weightlifting,
    I don't think anybody said it didn't matter in weightlifting.

I was talking about deadlifting. It's never felt comfortable. Mixed grip for me.
    Will try out the thumb tape though. I tape my middle 3 finger a lot for jiu jitsu, helps grip a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

myprotein sale today

FLASH SALE - 4 HOURS ONLY

25% OFF EVERYTHING
    Our ultimate Flash Sale is here - enjoy 25% Off EVERYTHING, but be quick - offer is only valid from 6pm to 10pm!

Use code: FLASH25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

rubadub wrote:
    25% OFF EVERYTHING Our ultimate Flash Sale is here - enjoy 25% Off EVERYTHING, but be quick - offer is only valid from 6pm to 10pm!

Well balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Well balls!

another one came in today for myprotein
    24 HOURS ONLY
    UP TO 60% OFF ALL PROTEIN POWDERS
    Don't whey-ste your time! Get Whey More Savings with up to 60% OFF all our Protein Powders.

But be quick - offer ends midnight tonight!

No code required - products already discounted.

I've availed of so many offers of late, I have turned my desk into an office by building walls with MyProtien and Bulk Powders bags and boxes.

I'm good til 2018.

Is there any nice non whey ones on these sites

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

MP always seem to offer increasingly aggressive offers at the ends of months for future reference. I wonder if their rapid scaling up has cash flow tight.

The 'up to 60% off' probably means one of the samples is 60% off with the rest of the offered products being 25% off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

33% off preworkout ingredients (and pre workouts). Going to mix myself up a diy batch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bulk powders also doing a 25% off sale plus an extra 10% so 32.5% off in total if my maths are correct

• Advertisement

Bp have a beef protein powder isolate
    That's mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Bp have a beef protein powder isolate
    That's mad

I'd imagine it tastes like OXO cubes..:pac:

They have a chocolate flavour one
    Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Caliden wrote: »
    33% off preworkout ingredients (and pre workouts). Going to mix myself up a diy batch

Whatever you do make sure you get something strong to flavour it. I did the same years back and it was really really cheap to knock something together with 4 or 5 of the main ingredients from most pre workouts but my god it was the most vile thing I've ever drank and I'll drink any old nasty muck.
    It basically tasted like bile only worse

They have a chocolate flavour one
    Lol

From the same cow that produces chocolate milk.

How now brown cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Whatever you do make sure you get something strong to flavour it. I did the same years back and it was really really cheap to knock something together with 4 or 5 of the main ingredients from most pre workouts but my god it was the most vile thing I've ever drank and I'll drink any old nasty muck.
    It basically tasted like bile only worse

Fruit punch flavoured citrulline malate enough or should I get the same flavour everything?

Fruit punch flavoured citrulline malate enough or should I get the same flavour everything?

Mi-Wadi, innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Ah ok they're already flavoured?! In that case you're sorted. Go crazy and make preworkout cocktails!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Protein supplements cause cancer.

• Advertisement

Protein supplements cause cancer.

What doesn't?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement