Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Deano7788 wrote: »
    @ronanc15, if you see this.

I'm planning to head into Eastway for a session on Friday as I'm thinking of changing gyms and had heard lots of good things about it so wanted to try it out. I'm just wondering what the locker situation is, like is it similar to UL where you put in a €2 coin, or is there a bag area or something?
    Much more hardcore from my own gym. Its not huge, but it's brilliant. I was only there 4 times of I recall but I'd love to be able to train there full time

Spot on as RR said.

Sadly, Eastway will be closing it's doors on October 12th, so I'm afraid it's not really an option to change to Deano. By all means come in for a session or two before it closes up and enjoy the last bit of what really is a brilliant training atmosphere!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Spot on as RR said.

Sadly, Eastway will be closing it's doors on October 12th, so I'm afraid it's not really an option to change to Deano. By all means come in for a session or two before it closes up and enjoy the last bit of what really is a brilliant training atmosphere!!

Awh you're joking man? Recession hitting hard there?

That's such a shame.

Awh you're joking man? Recession hitting hard there?

That's such a shame.

I wish I was. :( Feels like I've lost a child or something with it closing. A couple of different factors but the bottom line was the traffic wasn't coming through the door. It really will be a major loss, the place was a goldmine of advice, support and encouragement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I wish I was. :( Feels like I've lost a child or something with it closing. A couple of different factors but the bottom line was the traffic wasn't coming through the door. It really will be a major loss, the place was a goldmine of advice, support and encouragement.

WTF

I cant actually believe that. That place had everything going for it. It had some of the best of everything in there...from MMA clubs to Powerlifting clubs wtf like.

WTF

I cant actually believe that. That place had everything going for it. It had some of the best of everything in there...from MMA clubs to Powerlifting clubs wtf like.

Yep, the harsh reality is that unfortunately those onlyappeal to the minority. At least in the Limerick area. The vast majority stillbelieve that in order to get in shape you need every type of CV machineimaginable and are happy to continue heading to gyms without a notion what they’redoing so they can get that token Facebook “At the Gym” check-in.

/BitterRant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Agreed.

Man that actually shocked me. In my opinion its one of the best facilities to open in limerick since UL opened its doors to the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

WTF

Very sorry to hear that.

Just goes to show the marketing side of things really is important tho.

It's a shame to see a place with such good resources closing down.

Unbelievable. I was there for a week and got some of the best advice I've heard from Blue and Jason. If maybe it was in a more central part of the city or closer to it, they might have had the traffic coming in.
    WTF

Exactly.
    Yep, the harsh reality is that unfortunately those onlyappeal to the minority. At least in the Limerick area. The vast majority stillbelieve that in order to get in shape you need every type of CV machineimaginable and are happy to continue heading to gyms without a notion what they’redoing so they can get that token Facebook “At the Gym” check-in.

/BitterRant

Yeah that's true. Most people are petrified of free weights. Even though the gym was probably for those a bit more advanced it's still a shame people don't feel like they're working out unless they're hauling the ****e outta some cable.

Where are you gonna train now?

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/EastwayFitnessClub/photos_stream Few pictures of the place. Always looks like a good buzz.

That side of the city is particularly saturated with gyms for some reason. Not so much out Caherdavin/Ennis Rd direction.

There will be a group of us moving to another gym after the 12th. Checking prices at the moment but we have yet to make a concrete decision on which one! LPC have a few options they're considering too. I'm sure they'll get sorted quickly with the worlds coming up.

Ha few sneaky pics of me in those photos!

@Hanley - agreed on that one!

• Advertisement

That side of the city is particularly saturated with gyms for some reason. Not so much out Caherdavin/Ennis Rd direction.

There will be a group of us moving to another gym after the 12th. Checking prices at the moment but we have yet to make a concrete decision on which one! LPC have a few options they're considering too. I'm sure they'll get sorted quickly with the worlds coming up.

Ha few sneaky pics of me in those photos!

@Hanley - agreed on that one!

True actually. All hotels at that side with there low class gyms. Would olympic gold be any good to LPC? Or UL? Can't think of many other good top class gyms around other than those.

Was Dominator a good in its time?

Dominator is still there, although I haven't been in there so can't comment. I heard it had a good atmosphere.

Olympic Gold would be no use to the guys as it would be too tight for them. UL wouldn’t really be suitable either.

The lads have a good lash of gear – bars, monolift, proper bench, super-yolk, farmers walks, atlas stones, logs etc so to be honest the Eastway style industrial unit was ideal. It’s not a training style that would fit-in in most commercial gyms. They have a few places, outside of the norm, to consider anyway.

This guy took all the preworkout........all of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxEKoXBYzK4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Lads anyone have any tips to get to a single armed pullup or chinup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

jugger0 wrote: »

Chop one arm off?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I read in another thread here that your row and bench press should be equal (or as close as possible). Not sure if they mean barbell row or pendlay row.

My bench press is abysmal and horrible. At 69kg BW my 1RM is 50kg on the bench yet my 1RM for a barbell row is 70kg.

Am I to take from this that I'm doing something wrong, ie, having poor form which somehow enables me to lift more in the row or that I just have rubbish arms and can't bench more?

• Advertisement

I read in another thread here that your row and bench press should be equal (or as close as possible). Not sure if they mean barbell row or pendlay row.

My bench press is abysmal and horrible. At 69kg BW my 1RM is 50kg on the bench yet my 1RM for a barbell row is 70kg.

Am I to take from this that I'm doing something wrong, ie, having poor form which somehow enables me to lift more in the row or that I just have rubbish arms and can't bench more?

There was a discussion regarding this somewhere I just can't remember what thread:pac:

I think the consensus was how strict your form while doing the row?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Have you checked out convict conditioning ? It does a nice progression from cant do a pull up or chin up all the way up to one arm chin up.
    There is a tread on Convict Conditioning around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Why? The one guy I know can do them weighs about 50kg.

I'd take an extra 30kg and a decent squat any day!

Have you checked out convict conditioning ? It does a nice progression from cant do a pull up or chin up all the way up to one arm chin up.
    There is a tread on Convict Conditioning around here

Cool i'll give that a look now!
    TheBellJar wrote: »
    Why? The one guy I know can do them weighs about 50kg.

I'd take an extra 30kg and a decent squat any day!

Indeed, thats why it would be super cool if i could do one at 100kg!

Cool i'll give that a look now!

Indeed, thats why it would be super cool if i could do one at 100kg!

Can I watch?!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Thread on OAC here.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057034386/2/#post86461483

Can I watch?!:cool:

Yes, yes you can.

There was a discussion regarding this somewhere I just can't remember what thread:pac:

I think the consensus was how strict your form while doing the row?

Read it here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057030607

After reading it, now I'm doubting my form. Personally, I've never thought there was an issue with it but if someone is saying that my bench and row should be the same there's clearly something wrong if I can row 20kg (~28%) more than my bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

After reading it, now I'm doubting my form. Personally, I've never thought there was an issue with it but if someone is saying that my bench and row should be the same there's clearly something wrong if I can row 20kg (~28%) more than my bench.

Could be a combination of poor form on the row and your mindset holding you back on your bench?

Could be a combination of poor form on the row and your mindset holding you back on your bench?

What do you mean by mindset holding me back? I'm pretty damn determined to get a BW bench press. Had goals of getting it by xmas but I think that ship has long set sail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What do you mean by mindset holding me back? I'm pretty damn determined to get a BW bench press. Had goals of getting it by xmas but I think that ship has long set sail.

I think he has the Henry Ford quote in mind.

Whether you think you can or you can't., you're probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Spot on as RR said.

Thanks for letting me know, that really sucks :(. All I had heard about the place was really positive. We could do with more of this type of training environment, not less but I guess I'm in the minority thinking that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

there's a fear of smashing your teeth/head/ribcage when benching that isn't there for rows or most other pulling exercises so people tend to push for higher weights sooner

Thud wrote: »
    there's a fear of smashing your teeth/head/ribcage when benching that isn't there for rows or most other pulling exercises so people tend to push for higher weights sooner

Can't say that thought has ever crossed my mind but it might tomorrow, thanks :pac:

I'm more conscious of doing my back in with DL's and squats!

I'm not criticising you - I'm sure you are determined, but pushing your bodyweight over your face is a lot (70% of men reckon they can do it, less than 15% can). You really need to be confident you can do it and I found that personally I was holding back more than I thought I was. Are you at a gym with a spotter or on your lonesome?

• Advertisement

I'm not criticising you - I'm sure you are determined, but pushing your bodyweight over your face is a lot (70% of men reckon they can do it, less than 15% can). You really need to be confident you can do it and I found that personally I was holding back more than I thought I was. Are you at a gym with a spotter or on your lonesome?

Ah I was suggesting you were having a go at my mind frame, just didn't fully understand the question is all cause as I said above, it's something that never crossed my mind.

I go to the gym with my housemate but he just runs the entire time. Has no interest in weights. There's someone from work there who I can ask to spot me from time to time. So in short, I'm on my own.

The rack has these. Have never used them though. Would you suggest something like that when on my own?

Ah I was suggesting you were having a go at my mind frame, just didn't fully understand the question is all cause as I said above, it's something that never crossed my mind.

I go to the gym with my housemate but he just runs the entire time. Has no interest in weights. There's someone from work there who I can ask to spot me from time to time. So in short, I'm on my own.

The rack has these. Have never used them though. Would you suggest something like that when on my own?

Yup, I find when I know I cant end up pinned like a fool I am able to push more confidently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Just back from the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry. Absolutely incredible place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How strict are you doing rows?

Are you doing this?:

pendlay-row.png

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    How strict are you doing rows?

Are you doing this?:

pendlay-row.png

I'm doing bent over rows, not pendlay rows.

This is my position

To note, I'm very strict with my position (at least I think I am, just have no one to correct me). I've been working hard on form lately and have reduced the weights a bit as I want to get it right. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

bentover_row_6001_7.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm doing bent over rows, not pendlay rows.

This is my position

To note, I'm very strict with my position (at least I think I am, just have no one to correct me). I've been working hard on form lately and have reduced the weights a bit as I want to get it right. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

bentover_row_6001_7.jpg

My understanding was the bench to row ratio is for strict rows, i.e. Pendlay rows.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Dathai wrote: »
    Just back from the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry. Absolutely incredible place.

My bro had knee surgery there. Two physios he saw in different clinics in the months after, told him the guy who did his surgery is renowned as the best in the world. Meant to be an unreal place.

Brilliant video. Mans a never ending well of knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

My news for the day I've drank the cool aid and starting December will be working out of CF15.

• Advertisement

My news for the day I've drank the cool aid and starting December will be working out of CF15.

Congrats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

My bro had knee surgery there. Two physios he saw in different clinics in the months after, told him the guy who did his surgery is renowned as the best in the world. Meant to be an unreal place.

Yeah they're top notch. I was in, got MRI'd, diagnosed, massaged and given corrective exercises to do. All in under an hour and for cheaper than the physio I went to about my shoulder (just for 30minutes of "corrective" work.).

I'm going to injure myself just to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I have no idea what this means.......or even if its good news or bad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Shill.

-

-

-

:) congrats!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Hanley wrote: »
    Shill.

-

-

-

Haha, well played

Hanley wrote: »
    Shill.

-

-

-

Its partly your fault, you endorsed me.:pac:

@zombienosh: its good news for me as I now have a soap box from which to peddle my particular brand of physical superiority, its bad news for anyone else as I'll disregard all their past achievements as being non-functional

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I think it means you got a job at CF15? where CF means cross fit?

Zombienosh wrote: »

Cardiff no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

crossfit fifteen (CF15) is a crossfit box in blanchardstown d15 where your man is doing some tutorials on gymnastics or something

Zombienosh wrote: »

I'm going with the CIA. Or NASA.

I'm going with the CIA. Or NASA.

A few years ago I done the initial tests and assessments for Mi6 in the uk and aced them but would of had to renounce my Irish citizenship so didn't take it forward.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement