Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

CF15 is next door to Area 51. Allegedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

A few years ago I done the initial tests and assessments for Mi6 in the uk and aced them but would of had to renounce my Irish citizenship so didn't take it forward.

i had a look at the facebook page and you don't look that muscley how come? you look like a fella out of nirvana tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

A few years ago I done the initial tests and assessments for Mi6 in the uk and aced them but would of had to renounce my Irish citizenship so didn't take it forward.

Are you sure they didn't want you to announce your Irish citizenship? Cos that'd be an embarrassing thing to get wrong. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not criticising you - I'm sure you are determined, but pushing your bodyweight over your face is a lot (70% of men reckon they can do it, less than 15% can). You really need to be confident you can do it and I found that personally I was holding back more than I thought I was. Are you at a gym with a spotter or on your lonesome?
    Where did you get those numbers from? Just out of curiosity.

I'd disagree in general tbh. Most people can't due it because they aren't simply aren't strong enough, not because of their mindset.
    Maybe some people stress under a max effort and mess up, but I'd cancel that out against those who use the risk factor to force themselves to give 100%.
    I go to the gym with my housemate but he just runs the entire time. Has no interest in weights. There's someone from work there who I can ask to spot me from time to time. So in short, I'm on my own.

The rack has these. Have never used them though. Would you suggest something like that when on my own?
    If they are there, then there's no reason not to use them imo. If you are really trying to progress you'll miss a rep from time to time.

I do all my weight training solo. The bench at my gym has 3 sets of hooks, if I stall 1/2 or 3/4 of the way up, I just re-rack on the low hook.
    I don't think benching on your own is an issue when you have safety hooks, or safety bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

i had a look at the facebook page and you don't look that muscley how come? you look like a fella out of nirvana tbh

I'm 6ft and an acrobat being big is not a goal. Right now I'm 85kg and I'm debating trying to take my weight down to 75kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

My news for the day I've drank the cool aid and starting December will be working out of CF15.

Good choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

My news for the day I've drank the cool aid and starting December will be working out of CF15.

Your timing is impeccable. Darling, it's me, g'em :) Twelve days ago I broke my leg, displaced fracture in tib and fib (xray is like a text book pic of how to proper smash a leg) and I got a titanium pin put through the length of tib. Currently 80% wheelchair bound. Prognosis is good BUT I'll be looking at getting back to pre-smash fitness as soon as physio lets me, I'm living in D15 now and you might just be the man to do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Any one here do much farmers walks? what constitutes good because i have no clue what kinda weight i should be aiming for... also ive seen a few lads using straps while doing it, what the foof? is that not defying the whole point of it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

jugger0 wrote: »
    Any one here do much farmers walks? what constitutes good because i have no clue what kinda weight i should be aiming for... also ive seen a few lads using straps while doing it, what the foof? is that not defying the whole point of it?

Bodyweight per hand for about 20m is "good" in my book.

As for straps, guess more load = more total stress on body

Odd tho.

Jerrica wrote: »
    Your timing is impeccable. Darling, it's me, g'em :) Twelve days ago I broke my leg, displaced fracture in tib and fib (xray is like a text book pic of how to proper smash a leg) and I got a titanium pin put through the length of tib. Currently 80% wheelchair bound. Prognosis is good BUT I'll be looking at getting back to pre-smash fitness as soon as physio lets me, I'm living in D15 now and you might just be the man to do it :)

No prob hun, you know I've got time for you in exchange for BBQ and Ice cream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Woah, what happened?

No prob hun, you know I've got time for you in exchange for BBQ and Ice cream

Good times :D

@Heat_wave I wish I had some sort of hardcore story about how it happened but I just fell. Wearing trainers and all :o I must have twisted as I fell to break both bones as it's the kind of fracture that happens coming off a motorbike and your leg catches and twists or being tackled in football. 12-16 weeks before I'm fully weight bearing, 26 weeks for full recovery.

Wheelchairs are waaaay tougher to push around than I'd ever thought. At least I'll have bad ass arms :pac:

Here's the xray:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

'Tis but a fleshwound:)

I tried to tell the paramedics I just needed to walk it off and have a cup of tea but they were having none of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

OUCH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Snap city!

Having pins is like a worst nightmare scenario for me, they've always freaked me out. All the best with a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Best of luck with your leg. Breaking a leg would be a fear of mine. A lad I grew up with broke his femur when we were teenagers. It was a really bad job.

I've never broken anything important.

Well, I broke my nose a couple of times but that wouldn't stop you doing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Mellor wrote: »
    Where did you get those numbers from? Just out of curiosity.

I remember reading them on a random website - apparently just under 3/4s of men describe themselves as athletic but to be classed as athletic you should be able to bench your own bodyweight which only 15% could actually do. I'm sure the numbers are bull**** and massaged to suit the writer but they seem about right :p

I remember reading them on a random website - apparently just under 3/4s of men describe themselves as athletic but to be classed as athletic you should be able to bench your own bodyweight which only 15% could actually do. I'm sure the numbers are bull**** and massaged to suit the writer but they seem about right :p

I can bench my bodyweight and no way would I say I'm athletic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Am I the only one who thinks guys put way too much emphasis on their bench above anything else? I'd be much more impressed by a decent squat or DL than a bench. I think maybe that's also because the guys that tend to be all about benching are the same guys half squatting in the smith machine and taking photos of each other curling.

TheBellJar wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks guys put way to much emphasis on their bench above anything else? I'd be much more impressed by a decent squat or DL than a bench. I think maybe that's also because the guys that tend to be all about benching are the same guys half squatting in the smith machine and taking photos of each other curling.

Well, not all guys but I know what you mean. There are a lot who put a big emphasis on chest and curls. They often don't really know a lot about that they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd say high level amataur and above soccer players are athletic and I'd bet a decent portion of them couldn't bench their own bodyweight.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd say high level amataur and above soccer players are athletic and I'd bet a decent portion of them couldn't bench their own bodyweight.

I rmember an article I read a couple of years bacxk about top Premiership footballers who weren't as strong as they should be, especially with regards to upper body. Barely managing a couple of pull-ups for example. I'd have expected that to change by now but I wouldn't be hugely surprised if they couldn't bench BW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Bench has no practical use in soccer.

Id say their unilateral leg strength and mobility would be quite impressive.

Also, obv that definition of athletic is ridiculous.

NFL Combine fairly nails athleticism imo.

Bench has no practical use in soccer.

Id say their unilateral leg strength and mobility would be quite impressive.

Also, obv that definition of athletic is ridiculous.

NFL Combine fairly nails athleticism imo.

Soccer players mobility being good? Not likely.

One of my oldest friends is assistant S&C coach for a pro US team and they get academy players from one of the biggest Spanish clubs in all the time, almost without fail none of them can do the movement screens.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Soccer players mobility being good? Not likely.

One of my oldest friends is assistant S&C coach for a pro US team and they get academy players from one of the biggest Spanish clubs in all the time, almost without fail none of them can do the movement screens.

Thats mad Ted. You'd think that that aspect of fitness would be massively important in injury prevention.

But the thing is in soccer, how do they get good at soccer by playing soccer. Fitness is generally an after thought for 90% of clubs.

Good soccer players would have lower flexibility levels than you would expect. It's an incredibly specific sport with a necessity to be very good at a limited range of athletic markers - and good technique and an agile mind can make up for you being relatively lacking in them.

The funny thing is that large swathes of the population equate "fitness" or "athleticism" to "good at football". But that's a different discussion...

Being good at football does not equate to being good across broad modal domains :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Is a BW bench press a big deal? genuine question, I hardly ever bench so I don't know if it is.

• Advertisement

It was never something that interested me. But when I set goals for this year I thought right thats a nice aiming point.

I'd rather push up my squat and deadlift numbers.

dylbert wrote: »
    Is a BW bench press a big deal? genuine question, I hardly ever bench so I don't know if it is.

Its just a marker to aim for, like a 2xbw deadlift. It takes a while to get to if you are a desk monkey like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm not criticising you - I'm sure you are determined, but pushing your bodyweight over your face is a lot (70% of men reckon they can do it, less than 15% can).
    apparently just under 3/4s of men describe themselves as athletic but to be classed as athletic you should be able to bench your own bodyweight which only 15% could actually do.

That doesn't sound like 70-75% thought they could bench BW, sounds like they were asked if they consider themselves athletic and then tested.

It'd be like saying 25% of men considered themselves tall, but turns out only 1% were above 6ft8".

Or were they in fact told the criteria beforehand?
    dylbert wrote: »
    Here are the crossfit "standards"
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf
    a male bench is between novice & intermediate in most cases
    "Novice" means a person
    training regularly for a period of 3-9 months. This strength level supports the
    demands of vigorous recreational activities. An "intermediate" is a person who
    has engaged in regular training for up to two years. The intermediate level
    indicates some degree of specialization in the exercises and a high level of
    performance at the recreational level.

Looks like BS to me tbh.
    Firstly, I'd doubt that 75% of men describe themselves as athletic. I'd be surprised if it was 25%.

And even if they did, that doesn't mean that they are aware that athletic means you can bench your body weight - which sounds like it was a "fact" made up on the spot by, the writer

Don't feel like starting a new thread for a stupid question so I thought I'd throw it in here :pac: I'm fat as **** and this is the time I'm gonna do something properly about it! :P Earlier in the year I dropped nearly 3 stone but when college stress and everything else hit it went straight back on. I'm just wondering if there's any problem in eating very few calories when not working out and feeling fine. Last 3 days eating:

Tuesday
    Dinner: ~125g steak, some broccoli.
    Evening: Tin of sardines, some onions.

Wednesday
    Dinner: Chicken salad wrap - Chicken, tuna/sweetcorn, onions, lettuce, peppers, coleslaw and half the bread, couldn't resist :pac:
    Evening: 3 eggs scrambled, some onions. 100ml orange juice, 150ml smoothie from a carton.

Thursday
    Dinner: Chicken curry (~100g of chicken, onions, peppers, mushrooms) and 62.5g bag of rice.
    Evening: 2 boiled eggs, lettuce, onions, 2 dollops of mayonnaise, ~100g red cheddar.
    Late night snack: ~50g salted peanuts.

Having 2-3 cans of diet coke and 3-4 litres of water per day on top of that. Energy levels feel fine and I'm not hungry at any stage. Should I be eating more or just stick to it if I'm feeling alright?

Looks like BS to me tbh.
    Firstly, I'd doubt that 75% of men describe themselves as athletic. I'd be surprised if it was 25%.

And even if they did, that doesn't mean that they are aware that athletic means you can bench your body weight - which sounds like it was a "fact" made up on the spot by, the writer

Disagree. Id say a high proportion of men would describe themselves as athletic despite that stat obviously being made up. I dont know about the bench and whether they were aware. hut if you just asked, "do you consider yourself athletic?" In the general sense, a lot would say yes imo.

Id say you'd find a marked difference depending on who was asking the question too.

Disagree. Id say a high proportion of men would describe themselves as athletic despite that stat obviously being made up. I dont know about the bench and whether they were aware. hut if you just asked, "do you consider yourself athletic?" In the general sense, a lot would say yes imo.

Id say you'd find a marked difference depending on who was asking the question too.
    If it's put forward as a yes/no question. Then yeah sure, it might be somewhere from 50-75%. It's fairly subjective. Buts that's hardly a fair survey, I was assuming it was a more reasonable multiple choice like;
    Overweight, Average, Athletic, Skinny

Anyway, regardless of how the athletic question was phrased, the original statement was that 75% of men think they can bench their BW. I just don't see how they could have gotten that result.

If it's put forward as a yes/no question. Then yeah sure, it might be somewhere from 50-75%. It's fairly subjective. Buts that's hardly a fair survey, I was assuming it was a more reasonable multiple choice like;
    Overweight, Average, Athletic, Skinny

Anyway, regardless of how the athletic question was phrased, the original statement was that 75% of men think they can bench their BW. I just don't see how they could have gotten that result.

Why would you put 'athletic' in a list of choices where the other three are descriptions for size / weight out of interest?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

The rack has these. Have never used them though. Would you suggest something like that when on my own?
    Yup, I find when I know I cant end up pinned like a fool I am able to push more confidently.

Well, I gave these a go this morning and managed to squeeze out 3 reps at 50kg were as before I could only get 1.

Massive difference not having to worry about getting pinned to the bench.

Massive difference not having to worry about getting pinned to the bench.

You'll always go for the extra rep or two when you don't have to wqorry about that.

• Advertisement

Looks like BS to me tbh.

I would disagree, i think most men overestimate their ability or fitness level. I was chatting to a few mates yesterday and asked them about how they'd describe themselves given a choice between fat, athletic, average, etc etc - the best answer i got was "athletic, but i could do with losing the belly" :pac:

I dp agree that the author no doubt moved the facts around to fit his agenda, still a good topic of conversation though. I used to think i was athletic, now i know i was just skinny.

Personally its the fear of getting pinned that helps drive my bench up. I know how many reps I'm doing before the set starts and I'm doing them regardless. There has been some very slow reps but never pinned.
    She was so fat that her muscle to fat ratio could only be explained in complex irrational numbers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

His celebration is hilarious

tumblr_mu4h74okpV1qdlh1io1_250.gif

His celebration is hilarious

tumblr_mu4h74okpV1qdlh1io1_250.gif

Looks like he's wearing a bench shirt!

Anyone read about this 17 year year old russian girl Yulia Vins.

01-julia_vins.jpg

06-julia_vins.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

jeebus

Yulia-Vins8-550x586.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

I'm looking to buy a band like the ones K-Starr recommends for mobilisations. Any idea where to get one? Also, would a field hockey ball do the same job as a lacrosse ball? Would you recommend buying two balls as in some of the WODs I see he has two taped together?

thanks

I'm looking to buy a band like the ones K-Starr recommends for mobilisations. Any idea where to get one? Also, would a field hockey ball do the same job as a lacrosse ball? Would you recommend buying two balls as in some of the WODs I see he has two taped together?

thanks

D8 fitness for the band

Yes to the first ball Q

Three to the second ball Q - a single and a doublr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

You can get the bands here
    You only need the small (Red) one and the agility (Green) bands to start off with. I see they also have lacrosse balls in stock for a fiver but I dont know what they are like. I would also recommend getting a foam roller but not any of the budget ones. The grid has been recommended on this thread.
    I got a hockey ball from elverys and I find it really good for smashing the aul glutes

Or

Just what Hanley said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Good times :D

@Heat_wave I wish I had some sort of hardcore story about how it happened but I just fell. Wearing trainers and all :o I must have twisted as I fell to break both bones as it's the kind of fracture that happens coming off a motorbike and your leg catches and twists or being tackled in football. 12-16 weeks before I'm fully weight bearing, 26 weeks for full recovery.

Wheelchairs are waaaay tougher to push around than I'd ever thought. At least I'll have bad ass arms :pac:

Here's the xray:

God, that looks horrific. Well I hope the recovery process goes well for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement