Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Quick question maybe someone can help with..

Got weighed and measured for the first time in a while and was down 1kg but as I thought my chest, neck and arms had gotten bigger and stomach waist stayed the same posture seems to have improved aswell going by pics but I had lost some on both legs would that be from not training legs correctly or enough?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Quick question maybe someone can help with..

Got weighed and measured for the first time in a while and was down 1kg but as I thought my chest, neck and arms had gotten bigger and stomach waist stayed the same posture seems to have improved aswell going by pics but I had lost some on both legs would that be from not training legs correctly or enough?

Are you getting stronger?

Are you squatting and deadlifting?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Are you getting stronger?

Are you squatting and deadlifting?

Yea I'm definitely getting stronger.

Have been squatting not deadlifting though my hips are very tight which I'm trying to sort before I do any deadlifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Is stuff with high unsaturated fat good? Just curious because I have a bottle of Tesco mayo here which has 74g fat per 100g, of which 5.2 sat, 45.2 mono & 20.3 poly.

I've just always been under the impression that I should be eating lots of good/unsaturated fats. But surely Mayo is something to be eaten in small portions. I'm confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have been squatting not deadlifting though my hips are very tight which I'm trying to sort before I do any deadlifts.

You're gonna need to sort that out asap. If only too ccut down on the amount of pain you go through in having it sorted.

Had my second session of pain this morning in having them loosened out after neglecting them for too long.

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    Is stuff with high unsaturated fat good? Just curious because I have a bottle of Tesco mayo here which has 74g fat per 100g, of which 5.2 sat, 45.2 mono & 20.3 poly.

I've just always been under the impression that I should be eating lots of good/unsaturated fats. But surely Mayo is something to be eaten in small portions. I'm confused.

Try to avoid Mayo.

It's full of rednecks

You're gonna need to sort that out asap. If only too ccut down on the amount of pain you go through in having it sorted.

Had my second session of pain this morning in having them loosened out after neglecting them for too long.

Yeh I'm getting on it fairly soon got a physio's number from a friend who recommended him last night and also had a chat with a lad who has opened up his own place and said he will sort out movement, flexibility and form basically everything in a 6 week coarse but I'm not sure if he is selling me a lie or if it worth the money he want's which ain't cheap.

What you doing to loosen them out?

What you doing to loosen them out?
    Went to a physio (Aidan Woods) on Monday and it turned out they were a lot tighter than I thought. Range of motion had become ridiculously reduced so I've a few sessions of trigger point treatment, which should probably be bannned under the Geneva Convention, to looosen it to a point where I can start doing some stretching and lacross ball torture to myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Try to avoid Mayo.

It's full of rednecks

Who knew red necks could be so tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Essien wrote: »
    I know a woman who did deadlifts once, she grew a testicle after one set and never set foot in the gym again. Now she just sits at home, alone, with tears flowing down her beard.

It's tragic.

Excuse me, we're still together so she's definitely not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

NOTE: These WODs are NOT real. The fact that I have to post this comment to begin with is a little silly, but we are clearly not tying people to rowers and throwing barbells through the air.

They might not be but there is a video of another box doing the thruster throw for distance so jokes on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Does anyone have any suggestions for inflamed tendons? I seem to have them in my right forearm just below the elbow. More on the top and inside than on the outside. I can't really do pull ups at the moment with them but pulling with a neutral grip is fine.
    Obviously, I'm avoiding doing stuff that aggravates the situation but this is the second time this year I've had this, the last time took months to go away.
    I'm just wondering does anyone have any advice to avoid this sort of thing happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

brownej wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for inflamed tendons? I seem to have them in my right forearm just below the elbow. More on the top and inside than on the outside. I can't really do pull ups at the moment with them but pulling with a neutral grip is fine.
    Obviously, I'm avoiding doing stuff that aggravates the situation but this is the second time this year I've had this, the last time took months to go away.
    I'm just wondering does anyone have any advice to avoid this sort of thing happening.

http://youtu.be/0dgbCDtqdlI

Ant11 wrote: »

Thanks Ant. I'll give this a go.

Have you used this method yourself?

Thanks Ant. I'll give this a go.

Have you used this method yourself?

Yeah works a charm. You can also use a resistance band while having the voodoo band on your elbow. It's explained in the supple leopard book if you have it.

Ant11 wrote: »
    Yeah works a charm. You can also use a resistance band while having the voodoo band on your elbow. It's explained in the supple leopard book if you have it.

Great.
    I didn't think to look in the supple leopard book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Forearm rotation patterns can be a problem here. Smash up the soft tissue and then plan your hand on something and work on internal/external rotation.

Hanley wrote: »
    Forearm rotation patterns can be a problem here. Smash up the soft tissue and then plan your hand on something and work on internal/external rotation.

Thanks for that.
    I have been using my thumb to get in there and massage the area although I'm kinda limited by amount of pain I can inflict on myself. If I can't get it sorted myself in the next couple of weeks using the band method and my thumb I'll have no choice but to go the physio so he can break through my pain threshold.:eek:

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.
    I have been using my thumb to get in there and massage the area although I'm kinda limited by amount of pain I can inflict on myself. If I can't get it sorted myself in the next couple of weeks using the band method and my thumb I'll have no choice but to go the physio so he can break through my pain threshold.:eek:

You need a superfriend.

You need a superfriend.
    A superfriend with a sadistic streak.

Had an epic training session today and now completely spaced. On paper the work out looks tame but for effect its rating high.

aYBWRHT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Best way to cook a sweet potatoe guys?

Roasting it in the oven, Mr Quayle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Chop into chips. Spread on a cooking tray one layer thick. Salt, pepper, small amount of olive oil and a sprinkle of honey (makes em crispy, and yummy) and some garlic ( I am a lazy git for I have dried garlic in a can, cook in a moderately hot oven for fecking ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Peel the sweet spud and steam it with some broccoli then mash them up together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭COH

Microwave it - then cover it in peanut butter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Thanks guys, bought one today the size of a size 4 rugby ball :P

I always slice it into wedges then cover in cayenne pepper and throw in the oven tasty.
    COH wrote: »

Microwave it really? Never heard of that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

COH wrote: »

Your gourmet suggestions never disappoint.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I always slice it into wedges then cover in cayenne pepper and throw in the oven tasty.

Microwave it really? Never heard of that.

Just pierce it a few times with a knife and pop it in the microwave for 8-10 minutes.

When you take it out, if you can pierce it all the way through with little or no resistance then it's done and if not throw it back in for another couple of mins.

I find it easiest to put it in the microwave on some kitchen roll, if you use a plate it will be hotter than the sun when trying to lift it out.

By my calcs... eating "healthy" is 15% cheaper than eating junk food.

And could probably be made even cheaper if I wanted to dial things in more.

1469792_666703576695757_754474818_n.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

But if you're going for cheap+healthy aren't you sacrificing variety? While cheap and junk gives a lot more options?

I'm all for the healthy bulking and do it myself but I find it a big chunk more expensive than doing junk bulking. Thought the results are probably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

By my calcs, you're not eating the right junk food.
    Aldi-Carlos Stone Baked Cheese & Tomato Pizza 900 cals @ €1.59 :p

Nice spreadsheet Hanely.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    But if you're going for cheap+healthy aren't you sacrificing variety? While cheap and junk gives a lot more options?

I'm all for the healthy bulking and do it myself but I find it a big chunk more expensive than doing junk bulking. Thought the results are probably better.

WTF?

Variety while eating junk is basically "how many ways can you eat processed sugar and wheat"

The above outline there is;

-eat whatever lean cuts of meat you want
    -have a ton of different types of veg
    -bump kcals with peanut butter

There's MOUNTAINS of variety in that.

or.......pizza!!!

There's MOUNTAINS of variety in that.

Once you get into using spices and actually cooking you'll never get bored.

• Advertisement

Once you get into using spices and actually cooking you'll never get bored.

This.

You could have chicken 5 nights in a row and it could taste different each time.

This.

You could have chicken 5 nights in a row and it could taste different each time.

I have beef 4 nights a week and between different cuts, stew or curries you'd never know

I have beef 4 nights a week and between different cuts, stew or curries you'd never know

They won't be filming any Wendy's ads outside your gaff so...

Wheres_the_beef_commercial.jpg

Met aaakev, sound bloke. got free barbell, bench n weights off him. He even dropped them to my gaf. Big fooker too. Thanks again Kev.

Shredded beef rolled in toasted sesame seeds and a ton of veg and peanut butter + peanut oil = drool
    Need to make my own sweet chili sauce as well
    Has anyone here tried stevia for sauces... ?
    http://recipes.steviva.com/recipe/low-glycemic-reduced-sugar-sweet-chili-sauce-recipe
    huh, I guess so :cool:

Just curious as to what type of beef you are referring to in the lunch section? It seems quite cheap for 225g.
    I find eating clean expensive as I go for higher quality chicken and beef rather than the cheapest on offer. It's the volume that gets me..

Just curious as to what type of beef you are referring to in the lunch section? It seems quite cheap for 225g.
    I find eating clean expensive as I go for higher quality chicken and beef rather than the cheapest on offer. It's the volume that gets me..

From his rev photos its from lidl.

The thing with Irish beef is even the cheap stuff is very good quality, chicken is variable but most Irish beef its main diet is grass, silage and sugar beets. Its not economical for farmers to import soya nuggets and corn meal. Also Irish beef spends very little time in feed lots compared to american beef.

I dunno....i like to be able to go into my butchers and go " see that cow there....kill that one for me will ya" then i like to be able to see the butcher hack something to pieces and hand me a bag of steaks...

it feels more.....personal...i like to connect with my food. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Do any of you guys use a HRM watch?

If so, could anyone advise me on a good one to purchase?

Not over €200 though.

Thanks.

Anyone see the story about from Russia were if you do 30 squats you get your train ticket for free?

Great idea imo.

Link to a short video on it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=978913767171&set=vb.428734623823484&type=2&theater

http://blogs.wsj.com/emergingeurope/2013/11/08/in-moscow-do-squats-and-ride-subway-for-free/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement