Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Hanley wrote: »
    WTF?

Variety while eating junk is basically "how many ways can you eat processed sugar and wheat"

The above outline there is;

-eat whatever lean cuts of meat you want
    -have a ton of different types of veg
    -bump kcals with peanut butter

There's MOUNTAINS of variety in that.

Sure but meat is more expensive than say a protein shake and some crappy frozen meal. And there's a lot of cheap frozen meals out there. I just find it tough to bulk healthy on the cheap without having to eat a tonne of peanut butter or drink a lot of milk/cream at the end of the day to make up the extra.

Maybe my argument is more bulking is expensive because volume rather than doing it healthy is expensive. Never actually done a junk bulk so I really have no reference. Just when I started a healthy one shopping got expensive. Bulking=volume=money I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Sure but meat is more expensive than say a protein shake and some crappy frozen meal. And there's a lot of cheap frozen meals out there. I just find it tough to bulk healthy on the cheap without having to eat a tonne of peanut butter or drink a lot of milk/cream at the end of the day to make up the extra.

Thats the fun in bulking you get to chug cream and do shots of oil in the name of awesome.

My personal cheap bulker is going COC(k)MAD

Can of Coconut Milk A Day, get a can of coconut milk pick, pick the highest % one you cna get , the ones I get are 80%, mix in a couple of scoops of brotein. Loads of quality cals, decent protein, no lactose intolerance induced toilet visits. Win win win

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I dunno....i like to be able to go into my butchers and go " see that cow there....kill that one for me will ya" then i like to be able to see the butcher hack something to pieces and hand me a bag of steaks...

it feels more.....personal...i like to connect with my food. :)

That's living the dream right there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

52.6g sugar
    Drinking this 500ml bottle of Ribena gives you 60 per cent of your daily amount of sugar in one hit.

52g sugar is 60% of daily intake??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bluewolf wrote: »
    52.6g sugar
    Drinking this 500ml bottle of Ribena gives you 60 per cent of your daily amount of sugar in one hit.

52g sugar is 60% of daily intake??

Wouldn't 52g of sugar be over your daily allowance? I watched that documentary I threw up on here a few weeks back that said 4g of sugar equals one spoonful of sugar and on average we should be having 9 spoons a day.

52g equates to 13 spoons of sugar going by that if it's correct.

Wouldn't 52g of sugar be over your daily allowance? I watched that documentary I threw up on here a few weeks back that said 4g of sugar equals one spoonful of sugar and on average we should be having 9 spoons a day.

52g equates to 13 spoons of sugar going by that if it's correct.

Yeah I try to aim for 30g or less ...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Was reading that article supporting Low Carb diets that Hanley posted on FB earlier. This was one of the related articles. Can anyone offer an explanation as to how this guy seemingly defied the laws of thermodynamics -i.e. Lost fat in a caloric surplus? He ate 5700 calories a day for 21 days with an estimated TDE of 3100. However, carbs made up only 10% of his macros. By the end of the experiment he had gained 3lbs but lost an inch off his waist. If I'm opening a can of worms here, could you turn this in to a thread please, mods?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I dunno....but he could do with gaining another 30lbs.....

* jesus im not that skinny am i ?

CM24 wrote: »
    Was reading that article supporting Low Carb diets that Hanley posted on FB earlier. This was one of the related articles. Can anyone offer an explanation as to how this guy seemingly defied the laws of thermodynamics -i.e. Lost fat in a caloric surplus? He ate 5700 calories a day for 21 days with an estimated TDE of 3100. However, carbs made up only 10% of his macros. By the end of the experiment he had gained 3lbs but lost an inch off his waist. If I'm opening a can of worms here, could you turn this in to a thread please, mods?

How do you know he actually lost fat? I can drop an inch off my waist just up hitting 15g of psylium for a few days in a row. Less food in the colon = less waist size. To track the results properly you'd need to see fat thickness measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Over half his daily calorie intake consisted of nuts, nuts generally dont get fully digested i.e. 3000 calories consisting of nuts doesnt mean your body body absorbs 3000 calories.

Add that to the fact I'm guessing his activity levels increased over the duration of the trial (judging by his before/after pics) and any difference in energy intake/expenditure is more than explainable

One guys attempt at making bodybuilding more accessible

D2aVnha.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

cc87 wrote: »
    Over half his daily calorie intake consisted of nuts, nuts generally dont get fully digested i.e. 3000 calories consisting of nuts doesnt mean your body body absorbs 3000 calories.

Add that to the fact I'm guessing his activity levels increased over the duration of the trial (judging by his before/after pics) and any difference in energy intake/expenditure is more than explainable

3000kcals from nuts? Jesus his poor arse, his poo must have been at least 50% partially digested but.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Can of Coconut Milk, the ones I get are 80%

Where you get the 80% cans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Was doing a bit more digging about that ''scientific experiment'' linked above. Didn't realise the dude was an online Personal Trainer, probably just looking for publicity. Robb Wolf linked to the Daily Mail article about the experiment. Lyle McDonald responded by linking this. Don't have time to look at it all now but it seems like a good objective look at it, ruling out any possible ''magic''.

I still think that going low carb will result in fat loss for most though, even without counting calories. Bought Pat Divilly's book just there. He says he doesn't preach calorie counting for clients at all and the diet he outlines is just plenty of veg, protein and good fats. Paleo, basically. 26,000 Facebook fans can't be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

JJayoo wrote: »
    Peel the sweet spud and steam it with some broccoli then mash them up together.

With a big spoon of Kerry gold fecking heaven I tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'm a big fan of slicing up sweet potato and parsnip and roasting it in the oven with cinnamon over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Ant11 wrote: »
    Met aaakev, sound bloke. got free barbell, bench n weights off him. He even dropped them to my gaf. Big fooker too. Thanks again Kev.

No bother at all lad glad they are gone to a good home where they will get some use! Send me some pics when ya get your racks built out the back!

cc87 wrote: »

This is news to me I thought once you cracked them open they get digested fine. How are you meant to track calories if you can't take account of stuff like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

What do people eat peanut butter with/on in order to bump up the cals?

I can only bring myself to eat about 40g off a spoon. I noticed Hanley had 2 lots of 70g in his post yesterday.

I'm gona make go at bulking correctly for the next couple of months but in the first few days I'm finding it difficult to eat nearly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Essien wrote: »

I can only bring myself to eat about 40g off a spoon. I noticed Hanley had 2 lots of 70g in his post yesterday.

I'm gona make go at bulking correctly for the next couple of months but in the first few days I'm finding it difficult to eat nearly enough.

I have it on oatcakes myself, find them lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Stir a spoon into your porridge. If you have access to a blender you could also add some to your protein shakes.

I'm yet to try the suggestion from a couple of pages back of smearing it on sweet potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

On apple slices or on banana’s.

WARNING APPLES & CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER IS ADDICTIVE

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

4 large eggs, 30g of mozarella and a drop of milk. 2 mins in the microwave. Savage breakfast for work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

siochain wrote: »
    On apple slices or on banana’s.

WARNING APPLES & CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER IS ADDICTIVE

So far my favourite is on crackers with mashed banana washed down with heaps of milk. Get in my belly! :D

I've tried it, albeit smooth, with apple slices and yeah, tis good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Ugh. Ive a mate who just watched "Knives over Forks" and is now adament that full vegan is the way forward.

I honestly despair, not because of vegan tendancies as whatever about that but the villification of animal protein crusade and smugness he is now going on with.

The "I am more informed because I watched a heavily edited, biased and scientifically dubious documentary on netflix".

Cant wait til he mentions silverback gorillas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Ugh. Ive a mate who just watched "Knives over Forks" and is now adament that full vegan is the way forward.

I honestly despair, not because of vegan tendancies as whatever about that but the villification of animal protein crusade and smugness he is now going on with.

The "I am more informed because I watched a heavily edited, biased and scientifically dubious documentary on netflix".

Cant wait til he mentions silverback gorillas.

i had a friend like that once....we done the only humane thing and put him down...its hard losing friends to stupidity....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Go watch "The Heart of The Matter" on youtube.

it's amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hanley wrote: »
    Go watch "The Heart of The Matter" on youtube.

it's amazing.

This related to my post or apropos of nothing?

Does it sufficiently debunk the OMFG meat is cancer brigade?

• Advertisement

Ant11 wrote: »
    Where you get the 80% cans?

I get them in the islamic shop beside my house. Africian shops are also good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bodyweight strength class this morning at 7am.
    Still finding head springs very tough. But not the issue right now.
    I felt a bit stuff going in. And I collapsed a bit when trying to flip up from a neck bridge. Upper back/neck has been getting progressively stiffer all day. I'm seriously hoping that I don't wake up walking like Frankenstein tomorrow.
    Any advise for a stiff/sore neck? Do far its 2 neurofen and crossing my fingers

Keep it warm and ibuprofen. I'd normally take 600-800mg ibuprofen 3 x day in the case of something getting stiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's brilliant - and pitched at a level everyone can follow I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Keep it warm and ibuprofen. I'd normally take 600-800mg ibuprofen 3 x day in the case of something getting stiff.

Hmm, that's interesting. My own coach recommended I load up on it at the weekend. I have an aversion to using pain killers / anti inflammatories but when people smarter than me are pushing them for training related stiffness and soreness I should probably get on board.

I don't blanket recommend taking pain meds but for acute injuries or swelling it seems to help me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hmm, that's interesting. My own coach recommended I load up on it at the weekend. I have an aversion to using pain killers / anti inflammatories but when people smarter than me are pushing them for training related stiffness and soreness I should probably get on board.

Inflammation is a natural part of the healing process, but too much is detrimental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

meridan peanut butter plus vanilla carte d'or for dessert.
    Nobody likes it except me but it's delicious.

otherwise from the spoon or in my smoothie.

only problem is that the cal content of smoothie can rocket unless you are mindful of how much peanut butter you use.
    But if you're bulking that might be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Anyone see the story about OxyElite circulating? Just a heads up for anyone that uses it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1113/486441-serious-risk-from-weight-loss-supplements/

On peanut butter I generally spread it on rice cakes for a quick snack or throw it in a shake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

friday_gifdump_333_29.gif.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

O.P.H wrote: »

What are they getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are they getting?

Free train tickets. Great initiative tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

What are they getting?

fitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

So yesterday doing legs Day GVT, finished my 10x10's, went to do my 3 x 10 on the calf raise machine and POP! tore my calf muscle on the medial side. Really strange as I was totally warm must have been some weakness there.

Anyone had this injury, advice, healing times etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

So yesterday doing legs Day GVT, finished my 10x10's, went to do my 3 x 10 on the calf raise machine and POP! tore my calf muscle on the medial side. Really strange as I was totally warm must have been some weakness there.

Will depend how bad it is (grade 1,2 or 3)
    I had a grade 2 last year took about 4 weeks to get back running bit longer for sprinting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Shít, that sucks. Now you've put the nerves on me :o

What weight was the 10x10 squat at and the calf raise?

Hope you heal up soon!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That sounds terrifying :eek:

Just started incorporating calf raises into leg days myself as I never trained them directly before and I feel a good contraction doing them but I dont want them to snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Shít , I winced just reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Creepy injury talk....

The other day I was doing Overhead press and on the last rep heard/felt a crunch in my back as it hyper extended. For that second or two all colour drained from my face with fear thinking I really fked myself up. But It's all good. a little sore but I walked it off. I wasn't concentrating enough on core/glutes and thanks to this incident It won't happen again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement