Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Sneezed mid-deadlift yesterday and hurt my lower back.

Never thought hayfever would get in the way of me training, but I wasn't expecting this.

I'm more of a farting mid lift type of guy myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

DM-BM wrote: »
    Can you give some examples of what you mean by extreme measures?

Say telling someone that they should train 6 days a week with each workout leaving them a sweating panting mess on the floor. Most people would say that is extreme. I can count on one hand the amount of times in a non s+c/crossfit gym I've seen that happen.

That if you really want to improve on a lift you should max out everyday.

That for dieting some days of the week you should eat below your BMR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Say telling someone that they should train 6 days a week with each workout leaving them a sweating panting mess on the floor. Most people would say that is extreme. I can count on one hand the amount of times in a non s+c/crossfit gym I've seen that happen.

That if you really want to improve on a lift you should max out everyday.

That for dieting some days of the week you should eat below your BMR.

6 days a week you recommend for hard exercise? I currently go the gym four times a week and try go for a run once a week, some weeks I miss the run. When I go with my trainer I'm left a panting mess and am improving when going on my own pushing myself harder and harder but I think that just cause im learning more and becoming more confident in the gym.

On a separate note any recommend any places in Dublin for healthy eating out?

Its all about signals in my mind. The more often and the stronger the signal the better your body will adapt to it. Using you as an roughly 45 mins working out. That's 3 hours a week work out time which represents 1.7% of your week. Now if you have an average lifestyle you'll spend 66% of the time at least being stationary be it working,travelling or sleeping which signal will win over time?

The human body is capable of so much but we've forgotten that over time and it takes time to find it again and while what you think is working hard is not really that hard for your body.

Its all about signals in my mind. The more often and the stronger the signal the better your body will adapt to it. Using you as an roughly 45 mins working out. That's 3 hours a week work out time which represents 1.7% of your week. Now if you have an average lifestyle you'll spend 66% of the time at least being stationary be it working,travelling or sleeping which signal will win over time?

The human body is capable of so much but we've forgotten that over time and it takes time to find it again and while what you think is working hard is not really that hard for your body.

Never thought of it like that, interesting. I guess it depends on the individuals lifestyle as you said and how much your physically active.

I do spend an hour in the gym each time I go, plus I work shift work were I'm on my feet for twelve hours straight this week was working nights 7p.m to 7a.m then heading straight to the gym for an hour before going home to bed. Im learning as I go along the more I learn the better I get, this time last year I was clueless but been training about 8 months now which started of as just going for runs and has evolved but it's quite addictive love reading in here and other paces getting as much info as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I got talking to some very accomplished athletes last weekend. They don't work but do train for what is widely accepted is one of the toughest sports out there.

Anyway, they train 3 times a day 4 days a week. And twice a day the other 3. They take a day off once every 23 days or so.

First session is at 6 am. Then they shower and eat and rest and do a slightly shorter session. And another a few hours later.

Must say, opened my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I got talking to some very accomplished athletes last weekend. They don't work but do train for what is widely accepted is one of the toughest sports out there.

Anyway, they train 3 times a day 4 days a week. And twice a day the other 3. They take a day off once every 23 days or so.

First session is at 6 am. Then they shower and eat and rest and do a slightly shorter session. And another a few hours later.

Must say, opened my eyes.

They must eat an insane amount! Love to see their diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Let's not make the mistake of comparing professional athletes and normal 9-5'ers. If you got paid for something that involves training and were able to do nothing but push yourself physically I'm sure it would be a lot different than the person trying to squeeze in 4 or so workouts a week.

This is where a person really has to focus on quality over quantity. I see people going to the gym 5/6 times a week and not breaking a sweat, checking the phone, talking a lot and then I see people going 2/3 times a week and breaking their bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Which sport?
    Just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Mellor wrote: »
    Which sport?
    Just curious

Rowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What's the general impression of Elliot Hulse 'round these parts? Been watching a few of his videos and they're mostly informative!

An example:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

What's the general impression of Elliot Hulse 'round these parts? Been watching a few of his videos and they're mostly informative!

An example:

The mans a genius! Every time I watch a vid of his I feel like a should have a pen and paper by my side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

An example:

Even if he doesn't flat out say it, it seems like the real message of some parts of the videos is to breathe deep into your balls and release monsters. But seriously, some of it is good stuff.

Think he's awesome. I've got some awesome tips from him and book recommends!

I find it a fair old struggle to manage five crossfit sessions a week tbh. I feel like much more than that would require a slavish attention to detail in terms of food preparation and sleep when you consider that big old 50 hour week plus commute.

You and Hanley (who is a walking example) are correct in what you say, but it's understandable why we make the choice of being less than what we could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Really like Elliotts videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Dunno if any of you follow Giants Live on Facebook, but they put this up earlier.

http://i39.tinypic.com/16ghgsk.png

Check out Terry Holland's comment (highlighted). Not sure if he's trolling or..

http://instagram.com/p/bELeNbIfvT/?igref=ogexp

158kgs - can anyone explain the reasoning behind the mixed grip?

Probably because of the old wrist injury mentioned in the comments. Its easier to swing the arm over from the mixed grip maybe?

That looked crazy.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I find it a fair old struggle to manage five crossfit sessions a week tbh.

As I said its signals if you can only manage to send that signal not that frequently then it has to be a powerful one.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Think he's awesome. I've got some awesome tips from him and book recommends!

What do you mean? Through emails?

Have to say I'm really enjoying his videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

What do you mean? Through emails?

Have to say I'm really enjoying his videos.

I got a reply from Elliot way back in last summer when I started lifting about dieting. It wasn't 'Eat clean'. Actually had some nice stuff in there. I'll try dig it out. I wish I had payed more heed.

I just meant from watching his videos, he has two channels, Strengthcamp where he talks about fitness issues and Elliothulse where it tends to be more life issues. you can sign up to his email newsletter and on his website there is a section for Elliot's books, It's from his teaching about "4 layers of strength" I've focused more attention of strength in all forms rather than just physical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Are MyProtein still doing their retarded delivery system where it goes:

UK -> Germany -> Athlone -> Customer Location after about 4 bloody weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Molly wrote: »

One of them is called Brad.

I thought it was tongue in cheek until they started interviewing.

Look at the price list on the right!

Molly wrote: »

I thought it looked alright... until they brought in that weird love story into it. Da faq?

I need a new weekday breakfast. Getting fairly bored of mine these days. Bulking up at the minute so the higher calorie the better. Right now I'm eating a bowl of porridge with almonds and a banana, a hard boiled egg and a pint of milk. It's gotten very boring at this stage though. Been eating that for months now. Suggestions anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Packet of streaky danish bacon 2 ready-to-toast pancakes. That is all.

Actually, fried food in general. I have a fry up every morning without fail, it's helped put on a few kilos even with 7 training sessions a week

discus wrote: »
    Packet of streaky danish bacon 2 ready-to-toast pancakes. That is all.

Link is broken ;).

What about some turkey rashers? I have two or three every morning with my breakfast.

• Advertisement

Our (cronin_j and mine) custom made sprint sled is ready to go. Just sorting a heavy ass rope and harness and we are ready for some punishment :)

Nice and simple design

Also, was casually browsing Facebook on the jacks earlier, as you do, when I was brutally eyeballed by this man.....felt violated Hanley!! Space invader!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Our (cronin_j and mine) custom made sprint sled is ready to go. Just sorting a heavy ass rope and harness and we are ready for some punishment :)

Nice and simple design

You can mak a decent enough harness out of webbing, just make two shoulder straps (make sure they are same lenght and sit flat when running) and tie on to one longer central strap

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5-Metres-Webbing-Polyproplene-Strap-15mm-20mm-25mm-40mm-50mm-/200722308393?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&var=&hash=item2ebbfb5d29#ht_541wt_904

think i used 40mm stuff

Cronin reckons he has one possibly sorted (building trade). If not will look into that though, cheers dude!

I use lifting slings on my diy sled works good as you can do all your upper body stuff as well as attach to a belt. Costs about 15yoyo's for one

Does anyone know of a decent Android Stopwatch/Timer app? Doing some bagwork and need an app that I can set to account for breaks, for example:

2:00 (Train)
    Beep
    0:30 (Rest)
    Beep
    Beep

etc. All without me having to touch it whilst I train.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Does anyone know of a decent Android Stopwatch/Timer app? Doing some bagwork and need an app that I can set to account for breaks, for example:

Beep
    Beep
    Beep

THe gymboss app would do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I just spent the last 2 hours collating 7.5k words/16 typed A4 pages of raw data in the form of survey results about RevFit. So much positive stuff being said I don't even know where to start sorting thru and pulling out the most relevant bits.

...there's at least another 3-4 hours of work in it.

#FirstWorldProblems

Hanley wrote: »
    THe gymboss app would do that.

Cheers!

What would be a good weight Kettlebell to invest in,considering I've never really done kettlebell work.

• Advertisement

What would be a good weight Kettlebell to invest in,considering I've never really done kettlebell work.

16kgs might not be a bad place to start for swings and snatches.

Thanks LL

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Are MyProtein still doing their retarded delivery system where it goes:

UK -> Germany -> Athlone -> Customer Location after about 4 bloody weeks?

Bumpedy bump, anyone?

Basically I'm low on protein and don't want to be waiting for 2-3 weeks to get my order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I don't think they are anymore. People have been ordering with them lately with no issues.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Bumpedy bump, anyone?

Basically I'm low on protein and don't want to be waiting for 2-3 weeks to get my order!

I've ordered off them a couple of times lately and received my orders in three to four days.

Excellent, thank you ;)

Beep
    Beep
    Beep

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pimpimmobile.atimer&hl=en

This is a peach of an app - you can have a couple of different sessions saved in it and there's a section for workouts as well that you can program - say 5 rounds of 2minutes work/30 rest followed by 2 minutes rest followed by another few rounds etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

What kind of weight are you?

can you strict press 16kg handy enough?

I think most guys are told to start at 16kg KBs BUT

if you have reasonable strength at all, I think you should start with a 20kg or 24kg.

16kg could be way too light for swings, might be ok for strict presses and snatches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just saw these globe gripz
    improve-sports-performance.jpg

• Advertisement

What kind of weight are you?

can you strict press 16kg handy enough?

I think most guys are told to start at 16kg KBs BUT

if you have reasonable strength at all, I think you should start with a 20kg or 24kg.

16kg could be way too light for swings, might be ok for strict presses and snatches.

Thanks.
    Thats why I thought I'd ask here as I figured shops would give a generic answer " men should start at ? kg " etc.
    I dont want to get something I'd grow out of fairly quickly.

I weigh 70kg
    You question got me thinking so I went down the shed and checked out.
    I comfortably clean+press a 15kg plate with each arm.
    Could only do it with my right arm with a 20kg plate. So I maybe I should go for the 16kg? Or get the 20kg and keep trying to build up into it ?

Would there be bricks and mortar shops where I could see how each weight feels?

Also should I pick up the smaller size or the competition size KB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement