Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

we await Stench Blossoms' version of this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq5ffUxqhhI

With a cameo appearance of the infamous blonde in bra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

If there is a better fish than salmon to stuff your gob with... someone please inform me.

Salmon is delicious.

If there is a better fish than salmon to stuff your gob with... someone please inform me.

Salmon is delicious.

All fish is foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Salmon is delicious.

Define better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What I do with my ass is none of your concern!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm going to incorporate some twerking into my warmups.

:D

Ya training in RF tomorro?

• Advertisement

All fish is foul.

Blasphemy! Off with his head.
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Define better.

Taste/nutrition. I am open to suggestions, I love fish, any type.

Blasphemy! Off with his head.

Taste/nutrition. I am open to suggestions, I love fish, any type.

Mahi mahi by all accounts is nice. Never had it but everyone raves.

Plus, also fish is gross, and if you say other wise you are a heathen.

Proof is in the smell:

yesterday our office kitchen was stank out by some guy microwaving kippers. Every person there was retching. All of them were fish eaters.

Now if it was bacon they would be parading him around like a god. Even vegetarians cannot resist bacon.

I rest my case.

Bacon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Salmon is delicious.

Big fan of seabass too.

More protein in it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Hanley wrote: »
    Ya training in RF tomorro?

I am.

I'll do my warm up before I get there !! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I rest my case.

Bacon.

It's been a good week for Bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

It's been a good week for Bacon.

Bacon

Steamed snapper + lime juice + chili = all I want to eat forever, ever.

Bacon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I told a mate about the mix of stimulants I used when running Coan/Phillipi the first time. He took them and pulled an extra 10kg.

I'm patenting this and calling it Gorilla Fuel: Unleash the ****ing ape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Kissing your biceps after a set of curls is still ok though, right?

If you're not in front of a mirror, like.

Chap in the gym yesterday, right in the middle of the weight area, did a full Usain Bolt pose with his shirt lifted up at the same time, held if for about 20 seconds pretending to stretch......what a total spa. (had nothin to show BTW)
    usainbolt_2300716b.jpg

Hanley wrote: »
    Steamed snapper + lime juice + chili = all I want to eat forever, ever.

Bacon.

Completely agree.

I used to work in Ha Long Bay and alternated between living on a junk boat and a small island. I used to eat with the Vietnamese because the fish was so good.

They used to serve this boiled/steamed fish with chili, lime and garlic which Im told was Snapper. It was unreal. Made all the better by the copious amounts of rice wine passed around.

*ends pretentious traveller story.

Fresh Atlantic Salmon still wins though. and bacon.

Completely agree.

I used to work in Ha Long Bay and alternated between living on a junk boat and a small island. I used to eat with the Vietnamese because the fish was so good.

They used to serve this boiled/steamed fish with chili, lime and garlic which Im told was Snapper. It was unreal. Made all the better by the copious amounts of rice wine passed around.

*ends pretentious traveller story.

There's always one.

salmon%20and%20bacon.jpg

Best of both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Whats the green stuff underneath? I want that.

its not bacon, so im not interested.

I took the pic from here tho:
    http://www.ifood.tv/blog/tips-to-wrap-salmon-in-bacon
    but they dont mention it.

Spinach omelet maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Now if it was bacon they would be parading him around like a god. Even vegetarians cannot resist bacon.

I rest my case.

Bacon.

This really works! I was paraded around like a God today for cooking an egg & bacon omelette for lunch.

Praise be to bacon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Funnily I'll eat salmon in any form bar steamed, poached. As sushi, smoked, fried all fine. Cannot stand the smell and texture of steamed/poached salmon. Getting the gawks just thinkin about it.

Did I break a bacon combo just there??

Vegeta wrote: »
    Did I break a bacon combo just there??

The mere mention of the word bacon will have you salivating, so it still counts
    ruled-the-world-commandments-changes-bacon-religion-1345488694.jpg

bacon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

I find myself eating a lot of turkey bacon atm, relatively low in fat and still tastes like bacon, best of both worlds imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

DL Saint wrote: »
    I find myself eating a lot of turkey bacon atm, relatively low in fat and still tastes like bacon, best of both worlds imo.

Bacon comes form a pig...anything else is just lying to yourself....
    Bacon is a meat product prepared from a pigand usually cured.

if it looks like turkey and tastes like turkey...its clearly a camel !

I dont know whats gotten into this place lately....

DL Saint wrote: »

You know you killed it don't you?

See what turkey bacon does. Kills things.
    Bacon is the cure.

Bacon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Succotash, I think.

Edit: it is in its hole succotash. Apologies.

I'm gonna go with omelette.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm considering doing GVT for a few weeks, but on chest/back day, most programs have 10X10 chin ups, which there isn't a hope of me doing right now. What could I swap in in its place?

Also, any tips for getting better at chin-ups?

Essien wrote: »
    I'm considering doing GVT for a few weeks, but on chest/back day, most programs have 10X10 chin ups, which there isn't a hope of me doing right now. What could I swap in in its place?

I never got the 10x10 out. I dont think the point of it is to be able to do that. Its just to do 10, then do as many as you can again but not more than 10, repeat until you either cant do any more or finish 10 sets.

If you cant do 10 though I think it might be counter productive.

Lat Pull down anyway is a solid substitution.

As an aside, good shout. I really enjoyed my GVT 14 weeks, gives you a whole new perspective on volume, fatigue and work capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Essien wrote: »

Does your gym have any bands? If so you could do band assisted chins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Does your gym have any bands? If so you could do band assisted chins.

No, not that I'm aware of anyway.

I'm about 5 weeks into GVT and can't do 10x10 chin ups or dips so I do lat pull downs to replace chin ups and tricep pulldowns to replace dips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm about 5 weeks into GVT and can't do 10x10 chin ups or dips so I do lat pull downs to replace chin ups and tricep pulldowns to replace dips.

Would it not be negatives for the chin ups?

This is prob better tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Doing 10x10 negative chins wouldn't really be a good idea tbh.

If you can't do enough chins or dips in order to complete a good portion of the 10 sets then I wouldn't bother doing GVT. I'd focus on getting stronger first and then look to move on to GVT when you have a good, well rounded strength base.

• Advertisement

Not sure what this means...
    DylanJM wrote: »

If you can't do enough chins or dips in order to complete a good portion of the 10 sets then I wouldn't bother doing GVT. I'd focus on getting stronger first and then look to move on to GVT when you have a good, well rounded strength base.

I'm only able to get out about 28 chin ups.. getting 100 would take me like a year of strength training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How many sets/reps of chins/dips are you currently able to complete? I'm assuming you mean that once you stall with the chins/dips you finish out the required sets with the lat pull/pushdowns.

JJayoo wrote: »
    How many sets/reps of chins/dips are you currently able to complete? I'm assuming you mean that once you stall with the chins/dips you finish out the required sets with the lat pull/pushdowns.

Yea, the best I've managed so far has been 2x10,1x7 and then finished the remaining with the lat pulldown.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sea The Starz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Google Traps . lol

• Advertisement

DylanJM wrote: »

There are not many in the gym that could do 10x10 chins. You have to be both strong and very light, its and exercise that those who skip leg day carry no low body mass find much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

There are not many in the gym that could do 10x10 chins. You have to be both strong and very light, its and exercise that those who skip leg day carry no low body mass find much easier.

I didn't say you have to be able to do 10x10 chins right away. I said if you can't do a good portion of the 10x10 then you should get stronger first.

So if you do 5x10 then 9,8,7,6,5 then that's ok. If you only get 1x10 and the reps start decreasing then that's not ok IMO.

For GVT to key is the volume, 5x5 is more suited to what you suggest. On the GVT recommendations online, they suggest that you stick to the volume but alter the weight to a starting point of about 60% IRM. If you can only do one pullup @ 100kg then you would stick a 40kg band on or 60kg on the lat pulldown. Never drop reps.

GVT makes you stronger, after a cycle of doing 100 latpulldowns every three days at 60 or 70% of your bodyweight, you will be able to rep out BW chins just fine, because you cannot alter the weight.

The pullups are a real black spot in the GVT cycle, doing 10x10 every 60 seconds on a beginner program is very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The pullups are a real black spot in the GVT cycle, doing 10x10 every 60 seconds on a beginner program is very difficult.

Might give this a go during the week.
    Is the prescribed rest interval 60 or 90 seconds?

90 seconds according to what I've read. The second portion of your workout is 60 second intervals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I'm only able to get out about 28 chin ups.. getting 100 would take me like a year of strength training

Dunno how long you been training but a good year of strength training, at least, is what you should have before diving into GVT.

Certainly, and I mean no disrespect here, if you are maxing out at 28 chins you should probably get a better strength base before looking at big volume to build mass.

So many people want to get big without getting strong!

Re pull ups on GVT;

W1; 10x5
    W2; 10x6
    W3; 10x7

Etc etc

Stop training to failure all the time if you want to get better at chinzz.

Dunno how long you been training but a good year of strength training, at least, is what you should have before diving into GVT.

Certainly, and I mean no disrespect here, if you are maxing out at 28 chins you should probably get a better strength base before looking at big volume to build mass.

So many people want to get big without getting strong!

Only training since April. Had been doing 5x5 for about 4/5 months before hand. Just wanted to mix things up in the gym. It wasn't a race to get bigger. Just didn't want to get bored.

I've already said somewhere here recently that I'll be going back to strength training afterwards. Definitely know I need to get stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/11/15/supple-leopard-vs-world/

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2013/11/community-mwod-video-the-knees-in-squat/

Anyone else being reading/watching this?

Think this is people taking what KStar has being doing and using it without understanding why he does what he does the way he does

cc87 wrote: »
    http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/11/15/supple-leopard-vs-world/

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2013/11/community-mwod-video-the-knees-in-squat/

Anyone else being reading/watching this?

Think this is people taking what KStar has being doing and using it without understanding why he does what he does the way he does

It's all very Internet tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement