Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Just regarding GVT, I'm following the programme as per http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/441/German_Volume_Training.aspx

I did the 6 workouts per body part as per phase 1 then did the three week phase doing 6 sets per body part and now I'm on phase 2 which is 10 sets x 6 reps. Do I simply restart the cycle after doing 6 workouts per body part doing 10x6? Do I take the 3 week 'rest period' in between as was prescribed between phase 1 and 2?

Phase 2 seems much easier so far, at least when doing legs. 10x10 on squats was such a bítch.

If anyone is interested this is what I did (same as described in the link above but changed some of the exercises due to injury issues and equipment issues)

Phase 1
    Chest/Back
    10x10 bench + chin ups superset (90 sec rest)
    3x10 flyes + rows (60 sec rest)

Legs + Core
    10x10 squats + leg raises (90 sec rest)
    3x10 lunges + sit ups (60 sec rest)

Arms + Shoulders
    10x10 barbell curls + dips (90 sec rest)
    3 x 10 lateral raises + rear delt raises (60 sec rest)

Phase 2
    Chest and Back
    10x6 bench + wide grip pullups (90 sec rest)
    3x6 incline flyes + chinups (60 sec rest)

Legs and core
    10 x 6 squats + hanging leg raises (90 sec rest)
    3 x 6 lunges + sit ups (60 sec rest)

Arms + Shoulders
    10 x 6 hammer curls + close grip bench (90 sec rest)
    3 x 6 military press + lateral raises (60 sec rest)

Apologies for wall of text, find that article above quite hard to follow so hopefully I did the programme correct as I was trying to follow it as close as I possibly could. Using the tempos outlined in the article means you better leave the ego at the door! I find it good but I actually hate 10x10 squat day, usually end up lying on the floor for about 10 minutes after feeling like death

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thinking of giving up the day job. 1/2 pounder with sweet potato chips 1200 calories of delicious gains!

feo76.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Is it just me that has certain numbers that qualify for a set? 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20. Heavy weight, 9 reps? Good set? No...it was 1 short of 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Some times in my more perverse training plans I like to use the 6/4/2 wave dem even numbers!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Is it just me that has certain numbers that qualify for a set? 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20. Heavy weight, 9 reps? Good set? No...it was 1 short of 10.

No one finishes on "strange" numbers. I was moaning about that in the gym yesterday.

I now aim to finish on something like 7, 9, 11, 13, 16-19, 21-24 or 26+ whenever I'm doing max rep sets.

Basically anything that ain't 1,3,5,8,10,12,15,20,25.

Even if it means risking a rep.

Hanley wrote: »
    No one finishes on "strange" numbers. I was moaning about that in the gym yesterday.

I now aim to finish on something like 7, 9, 11, 13, 16-19, 21-24 or 26+ whenever I'm doing max rep sets.

Basically anything that ain't 1,3,5,8,10,12,15,20,25.

Even if it means risking a rep.

Dig it! I hit 9 on squats today and felt light-headed. But who stops on 9? Freaks, that's who! So I made myself do the 10th rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dig it! I hit 9 on squats today and felt light-headed. But who stops on 9? Freaks, that's who! So I made myself do the 10th rep.

Why didn't you attempt the 11th rep?

Mellor wrote: »
    Why didn't you attempt the 11th rep?

An 11-rep set? Weirdo!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No set should end on any prime number greater than 5. Simples.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Brian? wrote: »
    No set should end on any number greater than 5. Simples.

fyp

To paraphrase: If a weight is worth lifting its only worth lifting once.

5HWkKqz.png

5HWkKqz.png
    Actually id be pretty happy with the top half of the trapezoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

With 3x10-12 'accessory' sets in GVT, what weight should I be aiming for here? Like, should I be failing around 12 or so?

Yeah hitting fail on rep 12 of the first set, and then upping the weight when you can do 3x12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nicked from the funny GIFs tread

5yYXn5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

After 2-3 weeks of feeling sorry for myself ( tennis elbow and broken toe) went back to the shed last night. Lightened the weights considerably and just focused on form.

Head feels much clearer this morning. Bring on the turkey sausages !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Weekly dose of Broscience.

Love the reference to crossfit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Question out of curiosity. At what weight would people consider putting on a belt when it comes to deadlifts and squats. Maybe asking what weight is a bad question and asking what weight to BW ratio might be better.. who knows.

Spurred on by reading BossArkys log and saw he had a belt on @75kg sumo deadlift. I don't know much about them (in fact very little) but just wondered as I'd never thought a belt was needed for the less than BW.

Question out of curiosity. At what weight would people consider putting on a belt when it comes to deadlifts and squats. Maybe asking what weight is a bad question and asking what weight to BW ratio might be better.. who knows.

Spurred on by reading BossArkys log and saw he had a belt on @75kg sumo deadlift. I don't know much about them (in fact very little) but just wondered as I'd never thought a belt was needed for the less than BW.

wraps, belts chalk etc. leave them off as long as possible.

let your body adapt unaided, strengthening your core and grip as much as possible.

<im Deadlifitng 1.5 body weight, give or take. with no belts or straps although I have them in my gym bag, as yet unused.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Really struggling to get back into gym routine following my move. 100 hour working weeks are not conducive to re-establishing a routine. Hoping that this week will be uninteruppted.

Strength has really dropped off which is to be expected. Onwards and upwards.

wraps, belts chalk etc. leave them off as long as possible.

let your body adapt unaided, strengthening your core and grip as much as possible.

<im Deadlifitng 1.5 body weight, give or take. with no belts or straps although I have them in my gym bag, as yet unused.>

Forgoing chalk is unncessarily limiting yourself and should be distinguished from straps/belt imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Getting stronger out of gear (be it wraps, belt, or multi-ply suits) will always stand to you. But remember what you're training for... this is more related to straps but if you're not training grip then strap up and don't let grip be your limiting factor when you're trying to train something else (e.g. for BB rows or whatever where you're training your back).

In terms of belt... I think it was Hanley or kevpants who I first heard use the phrase: "know the difference between wearing a belt and using a belt".

I find it helps me less on deadlift (I've pulled 240 without a belt, pulled 250 with one [albeit, 10kgs lighter bodyweight]). For squats... I think I've squatted 190 sans-belt and 215 with it. I find it definitely helps me brace a lot more during squat setup which results in a stronger squat.

In general, I'd try and do as much of your work as possible without a belt and then when you are wearing it: actually use it!

Sangre wrote: »
    Forgoing chalk is unncessarily limiting yourself and should be distinguished from straps/belt imo.

fair enough, im yet to get a to a stage where i'm lifting something I cant hold.

No point chalking up for something that isn't slipping

fair enough, im yet to get a to a stage where i'm lifting something I cant hold.

No point chalking up for something that isn't slipping

Sometimes the chalk is just a psychological thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I probably should have stated that my numbers are absolutely nowhere near belt material :o

Deadlifts are my biggest lift and they're only 100kg (BW 70kg).

Thanks for the replies though :) good to know these things for future

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Sangre wrote: »
    Really struggling to get back into gym routine following my move. 100 hour working weeks are not conducive to re-establishing a routine. Hoping that this week will be uninteruppted.

Strength has really dropped off which is to be expected. Onwards and upwards.

I don't know anything about you or your experience level but, you can maintain strength for 8-12 weeks with as little as one set, once a week, as long as the intensity (weight used) is high enough. There was a study discussed in one of the recent UKSCA journals verifying this. I've done it mysef often aswell. When I'm dieting, or mid-rugby season, I have even gotten stronger by doing only 1 heavy set per movement, once per week. Lyle McDonald claims it only takes one third of the volume required to build muscle, to maintain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Seems this gym is closing down, If anyone in the Limerick area is looking for some kit.

http://www.donedeal.ie/gym-for-sale/heavy-duty-gym-equipment/6012069

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

10342_317142815052219_1710744798_n.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

IMG_2587.jpg

This is my new kryptonite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I found that a few weeks ago.

I've had to ban it from the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

JJayoo wrote: »
    Seems this gym is closing down, If anyone in the Limerick area is looking for some kit.

http://www.donedeal.ie/gym-for-sale/heavy-duty-gym-equipment/6012069

That's east way gym run by Blue Shinners. Pity about the closure really.

But some tasty equipment for sale nom nom

JJayoo wrote: »
    But some tasty equipment for sale nom nom

Gonna give him a bell?

Gonna give him a bell?

I would love some Dumbbells but my recently purchased battling rope will be the last of my gym spending. Plus it's in Limerick and I shall never go there in fear of the wild L that roams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I'm on a 2.2ishxbw deadlift and just below 2xbw squat and haven't felt the need to belt up yet. I keep looking into it and just never get to it. No major injuries or issues yet though so I figure I have a pretty solid core from this.

CM24 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about you or your experience level but, you can maintain strength for 8-12 weeks with as little as one set, once a week, as long as the intensity (weight used) is high enough. There was a study discussed in one of the recent UKSCA journals verifying this. I've done it mysef often aswell. When I'm dieting, or mid-rugby season, I have even gotten stronger by doing only 1 heavy set per movement, once per week. Lyle McDonald claims it only takes one third of the volume required to build muscle, to maintain it.
    Oh I know but unfortunately I missed that boat. Back to it now though.

At lowest weight in years which is both good and bad.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Whats the general consensus on milk? I don't want to gomad or anything but I think if I lomad :pac: with full fat milk it will help me hit my calorie goals

conzy wrote: »
    Whats the general consensus on milk? I don't want to gomad or anything but I think if I lomad :pac: with full fat milk it will help me hit my calorie goals

If you don't drink lots of milk, when you grow up you'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!

• Advertisement

If you don't drink lots of milk, when you grow up you'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!

Accrington stanley? Who are they?

Accrington stanley? Who are they?

Exakkkkkkkly!

My new subscription only diet plan is coming online in the next few weeks

Pharma-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

What do people advise for tight/weak hips?

What kind of exercises/stretches??

Stretch you calves and spend 15minutes a day total time in an atg squat position

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What do people advise for tight/weak hips?

What kind of exercises/stretches??

Stretching, foam rolling and a variety of glute work.

Glute work: bridges, glute ham raises,monster walks, single leg deadlifts.

Are both glutes equally weak?

Ill split this out to a new thread if you want.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Just bought these books;

Rob Wolfe – Paleo Solution
    Kelly Starrett – How to be a supple leopard
    Weston A Price – Nutrition and Physical degeneration.

Anyone know where I could get Dan John & Pavel – Easy Strength? The book shop.co.uk don't have it.

Excellent choice on the Weston A price, I highly recommend "Nourishing traditions" by Sally Fallon, she's the current head of the Weston Price foundation. The book covers the practical implementation of the information from the Weston Price foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Stretch you calves and spend 15minutes a day total time in an atg squat position

When sitting in a squat, if you can't should you assist yourself by holding onto something?

Excellent choice on the Weston A price, I highly recommend "Nourishing traditions" by Sally Fallon, she's the current head of the Weston Price foundation. The book covers the practical implementation of the information from the Weston Price foundation.

The course I'm doing e-mailed me some recommended books to read and supple leopard was always one I meant to get, especially at 31e which was a pure steal IMO.

I'll definitely keep that in mind once I get through the bunch I have though, thanks:)

Molly wrote: »
    When sitting in a squat, if you can't should you assist yourself by holding onto something?

Go as deep as you can hold and stay there, you'll loosen up the more you do it. Its ok to let the lower back round a little in this. The squat is a rest position for the human body.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement