Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dermighty wrote: »
    My fitness pal tells me my tbone steak is 1300 calories....bastards!

I'm assuming that's counting the fat on the steak, which I never eat (bar what renders and ends up as oil on the steak)
    Don't include the bone weight.
    It would need to be a massive steak to be that many cals. Nyom nyom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

In work on a nightshift doing lunges, squats box jumps etc because I missed my workout today and won't get a chance tomorrow either feel like I need to do something.

Lads from work looking at me like I have ten heads not sure who is right me or them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

In work on a nightshift doing lunges, squats box jumps etc because I missed my workout today and won't get a chance tomorrow either feel like I need to do something.

Lads from work looking at me like I have ten heads not sure who is right me or them.

Them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Mellor wrote: »
    Don't include the bone weight.
    It would need to be a massive steak to be that many cals. Nyom nyom

IMG_20130921_221743.jpg

There are no half measures regarding steak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Where's good to get foam rollers around Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Was at the IRE NZ game today and the difference in size between NZ and us is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Grid ones or foam ones?
    Physio needs down in Ringsend is pretty good.

grid would be better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Physio needs grid rip offs have a very bad rep for cracking.

Check out Foam Rollers By Design on
    FB. Outrageously awesome.

Hanley wrote: »
    Check out Foam Rollers By Design on
    FB. Outrageously awesome.

Have you got a link for me fb is drawing a blank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Not the link you were referring to but The Edge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Foamrollersbydesign/595722267113242?fref=ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Regular potatoes while bulking...good or bad? I usually chop them into chips and cook them in the Tefal Actifry.

In general, I don't really know what's 'wrong' with potatoes considering they're not processed or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Essien wrote: »
    Regular potatoes while bulking...good or bad? I usually chop them into chips and cook them in the Tefal Actifry.

In general, I don't really know what's 'wrong' with potatoes considering they're not processed or anything.

All I have is this:
    When I had the privilege of meeting Boris Sheiko, we talked for a long time and I was very straight in my questioning. Of course, supplementation and drugs came to the discussion. He looked at me and said, “People always insist I have secret drug or know some combination for lifter. I am no doctor. I know weights. What I do know is while we have been talking about this, Kirill (Sarychev) has been eating potatoes.” His point wasn’t that supplements or drugs aren’t sometimes a part of powerlifting, his point was that food is the best supplement available.

Brandon Lilly on Juggernaut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Personally I think that they're fine, as long as they're not causing you to commit carbicide. They're not as good nutritionally as sweet potatoes, but I couldn't stand eating those all the time.

Nothing tastier than a fresh boiled spud with a lump of real butter. mmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Potatoes seem to me like a great simple option for getting additional carbs in depending on how they are cooked.

Slightly higher GI, and some anti-nutrients in the skin.

Simple solution is to peel them and have a big **** off lump of butter and some meat with it.

I don't there's any real problem with potato in moderation. I prefer the tasty of their tanned cousin tho.

Every time I eat potatoes I wake up looking leaner, probably just sub q water but still. Mashed potatoes with butter is the normal fare.

@Hanley, Iirc correctly the anti nutrient in potato skins is ip-6 and its not heat stable, might be mistaken but ~90% sure

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have no idea where the notion came from that spuds were bad. They're not and they're tasty.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

They got sucked into it with white bread and white pasta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

They got sucked into it with white bread and white pasta

Yeah I kinda thought that myself, could never really understand what was wrong, other than the fact that some people eat them in enormous quantities.

An old boss of mine went on a diet once where he couldn't eat things that were white or beige (iirc). It's probably that kind of thinking that got us here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Brian? wrote: »
    I have no idea where the notion came from that spuds were bad. They're not and they're tasty.

Ive only heard it in the context of losing weight but not bulking.

and then only to watch the portion sizes. The potato isn't bad, the amounts that are served is.

I would assume they are good for bulking, especially loaded up with butter/milk/sour cream/beans/tuna etc. christ im hungry
    They even have a fair enough whack of protein for a vegetable at 2%

id think they were a great choice for a bulking diet.
    2 or 3 good sized potato mashed with carrots mixed with milk and butter, and bacon bits. Topped with baked beans and cheese. heaped next to a hunk of chicken breast, seared with garlic and rosemary. man i'm hungry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some might avoid regular potatoes as they are part of the nightshade family and said/rumoured to cause skin complaints or autoimmune related issues. Sweet potatoes are meant to be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Up and down between Dublin and Galway a lot recently and not in any one place long enough weekly to join a gym again. Spotted this and thought it'd be a good way to keep in shape with body weight exercises. Any of these stand out as worth doing? Or is there any other option worth considering? Don't have a pull up bar handy, but convict conditioning maybe?

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Up and down between Dublin and Galway a lot recently and not in any one place long enough weekly to join a gym again. Spotted this and thought it'd be a good way to keep in shape with body weight exercises. Any of these stand out as worth doing? Or is there any other option worth considering? Don't have a pull up bar handy, but convict conditioning maybe?

batman workout looks fun. but only after every set you pose and whisper "I'm batman"

just pick one you like, they all seem ok to start with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

rubadub wrote: »
    Some might avoid regular potatoes as they are part of the nightshade family and said/rumoured to cause skin complaints or autoimmune related issues. Sweet potatoes are meant to be OK.

I've never heard about these skin/autoimmune issues re potatoes, got any links?

I'm always curious about immune issues and food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Bawnmore wrote: »

I'd advise getting a resistance band or two. I just bought one a few weeks back for mobility work, but you'd be amazed the amount of things you can do with them.

Cheap enough, and very portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'd advise getting a resistance band or two. I just bought one a few weeks back for mobility work, but you'd be amazed the amount of things you can do with them.

Cheap enough, and very portable.

Picked up a band myself recently. Very happy with my purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Took a plunge on a George Foreman for 30 squids all in. Could be the best buy I've ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Took a plunge on a George Foreman for 30 squids all in. Could be the best buy I've ever made.

Amazing machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Was at the IRE NZ game today and the difference in size between NZ and us is unreal.

It's the auld polynesian genetics. Great athletes, great for laugh and monster BBQ's but useless for going on the beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Amazing machine.

It's going to be so handy. Saves me time and cooks amazing food!

http://www.grabonestore.ie/george-foreman-grill-7

There's a link where I bought mine for anyone who might want one:)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Handy for cooking chicken / chops but a pita to clean

Did weighted step ups today, great exercise, find it easier isolate each leg than with the Bulgarian split squat. Will rotate back to the split squats in a few weeks.

conzy wrote: »
    Handy for cooking chicken / chops but a pita to clean

Doing it wrong.

Take meat off, wait 15-30s to cool slightly, grab kitchen towel paper and clean.

2 sheets and it's done.

Faster than wiping your hole after a messy dump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Parchment paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yet the difference on the scoreboard was just 2 points.

NZ's physical size didn't win them that game, the size of their mental strength did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

K4t wrote: »

NZ's physical size didn't win them that game, the size of their mental strength did.

Ah now.

Of course their size helped enormously, as it does against everybody. Added to the 'super subs' they had at their disposal.

Not sure if the Kiwis have a great history of 'mental strength' tbh. Renowned chokers I thought.

Not sure if the Kiwis have a great history of 'mental strength' tbh. Renowned chokers I thought.

That is a ridiculous statement based on what we saw them do on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

History is irrelevant.

That team won the WC under the enormous pressure of being favourites.

And winning creates a winning mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Doing it wrong.

Take meat off, wait 15-30s to cool slightly, grab kitchen towel paper and clean.

2 sheets and it's done.

Faster than wiping your hole after a messy dump.

Hanley, is Gym magazine still going? Cant seem to get it up here. Would like a.yearly sub for Crimbo.

hansfrei wrote: »
    Hanley, is Gym magazine still going? Cant seem to get it up here.

There are probably other magazines that could help you out with your problem.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I've never heard about these skin/autoimmune issues re potatoes, got any links?
    sorry I don't have any. If you look up nightshades and autoimmune you will find some, nightshade is the main term you want. I have seen sites debunking it though, but far more about it.

I have a skin condition, psoriasis and one very popular book was mainly about cutting them out of your diet and people report amazing results.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Psoriasis-The-Natural-Alternative/dp/0470267267/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385552787&sr=8-1&keywords=Healing-Psoriasis
    conzy wrote: »
    Handy for cooking chicken / chops but a pita to clean.
    Doing it wrong.

another trick is to put the paper towel or damp j-cloth on while still hot and pour water on, the paper means the water does not just flow off, when the lid closes it steams off any burnt on food.

The george foremans are pretty bad compared to other grills. The best I have used has much lower "ridges" so the food cooks more evenly and has better contact, the plates are removable but also sprung, so it forces the hot plate against the food, again ensuring better contact, with a george foreman if your food is too thin the top plates don't even contact it, the springs mean it can take thin or fat things. It has less of a tilt so fat is not running off as quick, you can raise the GF grill legs to mimic this. They make too much of this "lean cooking" thing in the design, I collect the fat and rebaste it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

George Foreman dries meat out too much imo.

Handy if you're purely in mood for quick functional meal though.

It has less of a tilt so fat is not running off as quick, you can raise the GF grill legs to mimic this. They make too much of this "lean cooking" thing in the design, I collect the fat and rebaste it.

Is the "less fat" of this type of grilling beneficial at all?
    Seems its just a marketing ploy same as "fat free" food.
    Fat is not my enemy, so I see no need to be cooking at rakish angles just to eliminate it.

Is it healthier to be draining off the fat of meat like this, if you grill or fry in a conventional method the fat and other liquid etc comes out of the meat any way.

I like these grills for their speed and convenience. Ive never really bought into the idea that they are healthier.

also I like that you have a handy beverage ready when its done cooking.
    (....note to self: probably should stop drinking meat fats)

Is the "less fat" of this type of grilling beneficial at all?
    Seems its just a marketing ploy same as "fat free" food.
    +1. When I was saying raise the legs I was meaning the front legs, so the fat does not run off as much.
    if you grill or fry in a conventional method the fat and other liquid etc comes out of the meat any way
    I do think it comes out more on a george foreman as it cannot sit in the oil for any length of time, the angle means it falls off the top so might come out a bit more than grilling.

I like them since I feel safe leaving them unattended.

I left it on overnight once after coming home pissed, had to look in the bin to see the box of what the frizzled up things on it were, fish fingers!

I do think it comes out more on a george foreman as it cannot sit in the oil for any length of time, the angle means it falls off the top so might come out a bit more than grilling.

Probably comes out more cos the meat is squished as well as the angle.

Im not convinced that is a good thing tho, not if you like a taste to your food.

I used to use mine for bacon, cos it was convenient and kept it from curling. but it made the bacon tough and bland. And that is just wrong on so many levels.
    Although the handy tray of bacon juice was yummy.

Still have one in the house, but i use it very rarely. maybe if I was making a load of food, or a complicated meal and needed the extra grilling space.

But Ive never tried to actually baste with the run of juices. I might give it another chance to redeem itself.

I only ever dust off the George Foreman when I feel the need for a toasted sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Sangre wrote: »
    George Foreman dries meat out too much imo.

Agreed. I forgot how succulent a chicken breast could be after my George Foreman broke. One will never darken my kitchen again. Ruins everything

I only ever dust off the George Foreman when I feel the need for a toasted sandwich.
    I prefer them on the other similar devices with lower ridges, so the bread is toasted more evenly.

If you spread mayo on the outside of toastie you can do it on a low heat on a nonstick pan, comes out lovely, all golden brown, the egg in the mayo makes it a little like french toast.
    I forgot how succulent a chicken breast could be after my George Foreman broke.
    I have never done it, but reckon you could wrap it in tinfoil with some butter and do it on the george foreman and it should remain moist, and not dirty the grill.

Parchment paper was mentioned, this is good if all the nonstick coating has come off. Or those toaster bags work.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement