Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

[QUOTE=rubadub;87721984
    I have never done it, but reckon you could wrap it in tinfoil with some butter and do it on the george foreman and it should remain moist, and not dirty the grill.
    [/QUOTE]

No it's the compression. Meat shouldn't be squeezed when you're cooking it. Like when you see people smushing the spatula down onto a steak when they're cooking it. Yeah that's it squeeeeeze all the taste out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kevpants wrote: »
    No it's the compression. Meat shouldn't be squeezed when you're cooking it.
    my george foreman doesn't squeeze very much its just its own weight. I get what you mean though, I have pushed on burgers on a pan and the oil comes out, but if its wrapped in tinfoil it is not able to escape. I meant tightly wrap it, not just using it as a non stick thing.

I will give it a go and report back, franks hot sauce & butter I reckon. I was reading before that salting chicken helps it retain moisture, I think as much as steeping it in brine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rubadub wrote: »
    I prefer them on the other similar devices with lower ridges, so the bread is toasted more evenly.

If you spread mayo on the outside of toastie you can do it on a low heat on a nonstick pan, comes out lovely, all golden brown, the egg in the mayo makes it a little like french toast.
    Two slices of bread soaked in egg, grated (proper) cheddar in between them, slap them on the pan on a low heat. NOM. NOM. NOM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sangre wrote: »
    George Foreman dries meat out too much imo.

Handy if you're purely in mood for quick functional meal though.

Agreed hate most food cooked on it, the only thing I use it for is peppered beef grillsteaks which is my go to food when I'm hungry and want something quick east and convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Is it just me or this does sound like a load of bollox?
    Now thanks to the latest breakthroughs in genetic testing you can find out what type of exercises and sports you are genetically built for. Irish company Genetic Performance have launched a revolutionary DNA test which helps people discover which sports they are naturally suited to, based on their genetics. They will also design a strength and conditioning program and nutrition plan based on your DNA test results. The key genetic markers tested are Power and Fatigue, Lactate levels, VO2max, Body Fat, Isometric Grip Strength, Muscle Mass and Strength, Exercise Blood Pressure, Aerobic Fitness, Muscle Efficiency, Endurance Performance. Simply Order your test kit on our site and receive a DNA test kit with your order. Take a simple mouth swab and return it in the envelope provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Zombienosh wrote: »

Very similar to https://www.23andme.com/ who recently got a nice letter from the FDA http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25100878

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Some genes are weakly linked to people performing better in certain activities but definitely not all the ones listed in the ad

However so many other factors (likes/dislikes, work, environment etc) come into play that because you have a gene which may indicate you are more suited to certain activities does not in any way mean that you should go and only train that activity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

It's not a load of bollocks, but they're taking it a bit far. The science is not yet well enough understood to extrapolate as to what exact sport you'd be suited to. Anyone who watched Tommy Bowe's show on RTE a while back would have seen where him and his family were all tested and the younger brother had better genetics, yet there was only one Lions winger in the family.

They can tell from DNA in your saliva if you have markers that cause your muscles to be more likely to respond to power or endurance type training.

There are always outliers however, so it's not 100%.

Dathai wrote: »
    Very similar to https://www.23andme.com/ who recently got a nice letter from the FDA http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25100878

I've had the 23&Me testing done and I was pretty impressed with it. I'm pretty sure that this FDA malarky is just to send a warning to a booming industry that they need to play by the rules and not get ahead of themselves.

I have no doubt that 23&Me will be back in business in the near future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Genotype -v- Phenotype.

Talent doesn't beat hard work if talent doesn't work hard.

etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Anyone seen that video "Bring Sally Up" with push ups? Saw that some crossfitters had done it with OH squats. Got off the couch and did the squats one with BW, was easy enough but then tried the push up one and just about broke the minute mark.

Push up

OH Squats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone seen that video "Bring Sally Up" with push ups? Saw that some crossfitters had done it with OH squats. Got off the couch and did the squats one with BW, was easy enough but then tried the push up one and just about broke the minute mark.

Push up

OH Squats

There's a thread someone here:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Never mind so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I've had the 23&Me testing done and I was pretty impressed with it. I'm pretty sure that this FDA malarky is just to send a warning to a booming industry that they need to play by the rules and not get ahead of themselves.

I have no doubt that 23&Me will be back in business in the near future.

Would you mind sharing what impressed you and how you benefited from it?

I was about to send off for it until the FDA issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Somewhere in China there's a little girl warming up with your max
    FKeWzUs.jpg

She has no choice but to carry those baskets though. So no wonder she's so strong at carrying melons, she works on a melon farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

siochain wrote: »
    Would you mind sharing what impressed you and how you benefited from it?

I was about to send off for it until the FDA issue.

I was impressed with the dpeth of the testing, the presentation of results, the fact that you can network with others if you want to get into the geniology side of things, and the readily available links to the relevant research papers that prove what they're telling you isn't a bunch of codswallop.

Potential athletic ability is only one very small part of it. They test for disease risk, whether you're a carrier for a recessive disease, traits like your liklihood of developing baldness or having inheirent HIV resistance, as well as drug response for a number of popular (medicinal) drugs.

The information is clearly laid out, like for the disease risk section it gives you a % likelihood of developing say Alzheimers, broken down into age ranges. It also tells you how genetically-determined the disease is. Like some people might be more susceptible to lung cancer so if they smoke they'd be uber fcuked. It also gives the average risk for someone in your category.

Some of what they test for could be potentially alarming, so you have to unlock information about diseases like Alzheimers.

I think the FDA is concerned about their lab procedures, but I've worked in the pharma industry and I know they can be VERY picky to the point of some of the requirements being completely innane. Granted, their labs could be a big ole mess, making the results unreliable, but judging by the thorough and professional manner in which they present the information, I doubt this is the case.

They are also heavily linked with various top-level research groups, so I would think that the standard of their labs should be fine. Having said that, research labs are usually a lot more lax that quality control labs or medicinal labs, so this is probably where the FDA issues lie. Personally if i was given a worrying result, I would go and get further testing done, but the service 23 and me offer for the money is pretty outstanding.

Deadlifting and bloody shins... solutions?

In one respect I suppose it's a good thing: it means I'm keeping the bar very close to my shins. In another, it's bad, because my shins are beginning to look like **** and are not getting a chance to heal. Shorts obviously are worst, but even in tracksuit bottoms my shins still get ripped up. Quit being a pussy and get on with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Dathai wrote: »
    She has no choice but to carry those baskets though. So no wonder she's so strong at carrying melons, she works on a melon farm.

Not sure if this was meant to be funny but good chuckle had here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

gvn wrote: »

In one respect I suppose it's a good thing: it means I'm keeping the bar very close to my shins. In another, it's bad, because my shins are beginning to look like **** and are not getting a chance to heal. Shorts obviously are worst, but even in tracksuit bottoms my shins still get ripped up. Quit being a pussy and get on with it?

Try being a girl. I look like I'm getting battered at home.

Tracksuit bottoms + GAA socks might help a but although you might feel like a twat.

Otherwise, MTFU:pac:

• Advertisement

For €5 I'll give you the pink shinguards my niece used to wear playing hockey.

For €5 I'll give you the pink shinguards my niece used to wear playing hockey.

You've got yourself a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 julianlovejoy

There are some clearly established 'performance genes' such as the ACE and ACTN3 genes.

ACE genes will go some way to predicting your likely capacity for cardiac growth and blood volume increases as well as you likely hood of surpassing 100 years of age.

The ACTN3 gene will go someway of indicating your genetic proclivity towards power/explosive sports/events.

Genetic testing is being undertaken on a large scale in professional/elite sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tracksuit bottoms + GAA socks might help a but although you might feel like a twat.

Otherwise, MTFU:pac:
    I used to tear the ****e out of my legs when my form was a lot worse. Has gone away for the most part now.

I think I can get into a better position now to simply pull up while keeping bar close to legs. Previously, to get into position, I had to use counterbalance of bar to keep upright so was pulling back and up through legs while straightening myself if that makes sense? Anyone else find this?

If I was tested genetically and was told I shouldn't do something I enjoyed doing, It would motivate me to do that **** better and more.
    So maybe it's actually some reverse psychology marketing crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

If I was tested genetically and was told I shouldn't do something I enjoyed doing, It would motivate me to do that **** better and more.
    So maybe it's actually some reverse psychology marketing crap.

or worse, if you started school and were put into sports groups which reflected your genetic potential.

Or automatically excluded due to lack of a genetic disposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

or worse, if you started school and were put into sports groups which reflected your genetic potential.

Or automatically excluded due to lack of a genetic disposition.

Gattaca, the future is now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Happens me with a double overhand grip, swapping to the mixed grip alleviates it a lot, but I always cut my shins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's actually great that we have so much junior / social level competitive sports. If you really love a particular sport you can find a level where you can play it as part of a team, in a reffed league and enjoy it. No matter how bad you are (I mean you have to be totally unfit and uncoordinated to not find a game of football in Dublin if you really want one). I'm sure we all remember lads in School who would go out for the INSERT SPORT team every year, not get selected or get knocked back, and were still chipping away at a junior level 10 years later.

That said, if you wanted to create a society with the best chance of winning Olympic medals you would categorise kids from an early age and focus on elite level competition at the expense of B teams or lower leagues or whatever. I mean, I don't know if China Weightlifting uses genetic tests but I'd imagine they would if they could.

I have a thick pair of sport socks that go up to the knees and pull them up when Deadlifting. Mostly does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't know if China Weightlifting uses genetic tests but I'd imagine they would if they could.

next step from testing is selecting, then improving, then engineering.

Pretty soon we will be under the yoke of giant genetically engineered Olympic dominating Chinese Super Fascists.

I, for one, welcome our genetically superior Chinese overlords

we could just start testing everyone from birth and if they aren't genetically gifted in anything society deems important we could just terminate them.

we could just start testing everyone from birth and if they aren't genetically gifted in anything society deems important we could just terminate them.

Again, I'm sure the Chinese would if they could! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Different.........

Ah heyorrr...there are so many people that could be exterminated before you'd even need to start genetic testing. That just sounds like a waste of resources. There'd surely be an overlap, inallinanywayaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

If I'm NOT cutting my shins to shreds am I deadlifting wrong??

Ivan.Drago wrote: »

How far is the bar from your shins in your set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

I actually don't know exactly off the top of my head - I might post a vid tomorrow. I was more referring to the appearance from the last few posts that everyone is cutting their shins when deadlifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

any one have any idea where i could get a lacrosse ball preferably some where around dublin city center ?

• Advertisement

Casshern88 wrote: »
    any one have any idea where i could get a lacrosse ball preferably some where around dublin city center ?

Arnott's? Elvery's? D8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

actually im right beside d8 fitness, ill check them out !

actually im right beside d8 fitness, ill check them out !

Can't believe you didn't think of them first:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

As per my post above, I don't think so but interested to hear thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Ivan.Drago wrote: »

NO!

It's utter bull. It's the Instagramification of lifting. Pictures of cut shins are second only to torn calouses in that regard.

The bar should be kept close to your body because it's easier to lift that way. If it's dragging up the front of your shin it's encountering friction, you may as well add a small plate to it. From time to time the bar will make contact with your shin and leave a mark. It's not a goal though or a representation of someone doing it right.

+1 Kevpants most sensible poster of the year 2013

• Advertisement

+1 Kevpants most sensible poster of the year 2013

Lick arse.

Lick arse.

Of all the posters here I can guarantee my tongue will never be gracing the sweaty crack of Kevpants:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

If it’s for rolling out muscle tight spots head into your local pet shop and pick up one of them solid rubber doggy balls. Cheap as chips and does the job.

Just reading that back and it sounds a bit dodgy :pac::pac::pac:

Shít buzz about Mike Jenkins passing away.

Pretty good tribute to him by Mark Bell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k9emaaKxxk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

siochain wrote: »
    If it’s for rolling out muscle tight spots head into your local pet shop and pick up one of them solid rubber doggy balls. Cheap as chips and does the job.

100%

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement