Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The €2 shops often have cheap animal/pet toys, like those hard balls. They had hard tennis balls with ropes through them, so the owner could pull back when a dog has bitten it. They looked strong enough that you could hang them and do chinups on.

Like this
    johnson3.jpg

just found this looking for that pic too, never seen this before.

0508-pulver-Grip-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Rubadub you could invent your own sport. Like a cross between parkour and crossfit.

Ive had this mental image from your posts that you just workout on whatever you can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ive had this mental image from your posts that you just workout on whatever you can find.
    :D yeah pretty much! When ever I see any sort of wooden pole or bar I almost unconsciously can't resist picking it up and give it a bend to see how strong it is, then place it back down nodding with a look of approval thinking "yep, that'll do nicely".

I have said before that some of my favourite dip stations and chinup bars are not supposed to be used as such, i.e. they are railings or ledges. Good hand positions and solid as a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

Got told by a gym owner that i shouldn't foam roll before training... He proceeded to explain that by doing it afterwards would "break the net around the muscle and therefore allow the muscle to grow and add size to me"...

I was too shocked to respond...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Dexters16 wrote: »
    Got told by a gym owner that i shouldn't foam roll before training... He proceeded to explain that by doing it afterwards would "break the net around the muscle and therefore allow the muscle to grow and add size to me"...

I was too shocked to respond...

Look up extreme fascial stretching and muscle growth. It's a big part of Doggcrapp training.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

kevpants wrote: »
    NO!

It's utter bull. It's the Instagramification of lifting. Pictures of cut shins are second only to torn calouses in that regard.

The bar should be kept close to your body because it's easier to lift that way. If it's dragging up the front of your shin it's encountering friction, you may as well add a small plate to it. From time to time the bar will make contact with your shin and leave a mark. It's not a goal though or a representation of someone doing it right.

YUP.

Only time the bar should touch your shins is when you start a pull from the floor.

This should ensure that the bar doesn't travel out in front and is close to the body for best bar path.

Bar path is so crucial......can be the difference of night n day with a lift.

Right I'm off for another push/pull session

Hanley wrote: »
    Look up extreme fascial stretching and muscle growth. It's a big part of Doggcrapp training.

Had a look there. A lot of it is weighted stretches apart from foam rolling.

Seems interesting all the same. Is it proven to work? Only read theories so far. Will look at more later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

The question is can you stretch something that has the tensile strength of mild steel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

The question is can you stretch something that has the tensile strength of mild steel?

Absolutely. Still not sure I believe in it though.

*Knowledge bomb*

Fascia is impregnated with type 1 muscle fibers and while the Tissue we think of as fascia is for all intents and purposes unstretchable under anything you could do in a gym. The muscle fibers that are present have an tendency to get contracted under loads and are not innervated which means the only way to to get them to release is to wear them out. We know type 1 fibers are endurance based so to release them we need to put them under stretch, the whole fascial line then hold for 90-120s minimum to get them to release.

*Knowledge bomb*

• Advertisement

You forgot to make the siren noise..

Sorted

*Knowledge bomb*

Fascia is impregnated with type 1 muscle fibers and while the Tissue we think of as fascia is for all intents and purposes unstretchable under anything you could do in a gym. The muscle fibers that are present have an tendency to get contracted under loads and are not innervated which means the only way to to get them to release is to wear them out. We know type 1 fibers are endurance based so to release them we need to put them under stretch, the whole fascial line then hold for 90-120s minimum to get them to release.

*Knowledge bomb*

Would such stretching make much of a difference?
    Surely it'd fall back to the basics of muscle building?

You forgot to make the siren noise..

(c) RevFit

Would such stretching make much of a difference?
    Surely it'd fall back to the basics of muscle building?

For 99.9% of the fitness community fascial stretching for muscle growth would be pointless and there'd be no quantifiable results.

There's a lot of other benefits to fascial stretching thought.

(c) RevFit

RevFit must be like Vietnam up there..

Off topic, is anyone getting loads of pop ups on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For 99.9% of the fitness community fascial stretching for muscle growth would be pointless and there'd be no quantifiable results.

There's a lot of other benefits to fascial stretching thought.
    Just for the record, this isn't to be confused with FACIAL stretching. If it's good enough for Charles Atlas, it's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

next step from testing is selecting, then improving, then engineering.

Pretty soon we will be under the yoke of giant genetically engineered Olympic dominating Chinese Super Fascists.

I, for one, welcome our genetically superior Chinese overlords
    Yao Ming the ex Chinese NBA players parents were selected due to their height and their families height for a number of generations and "asked" to have a child together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

My first attempt at a barbell snatch. I realise it's got faults and I'd like some help.

Thanks.

At the moment my mobility and flexibility is bad and I don't have the strength or energy to explode the weight up more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I haven't been learning Olympic lifting for long so I'm sure more qualified boardsies can explain it better but the biggest problem I can see is that you are swinging the bar far out in front of you in an arc with almost straight arms. Once the bar goes beyond the hips it is at maximum momentum, at this point you need to be actively pulling yourself under it by shrugging the shoulders up and bending the elbows out to the sides and simultaneously squatting into receiving position so that the arms lock out in extension at the bottom of the catch. The second thing is at the beginning of the lift during the first pull from the ground your shoulders should be ahead of the bar so that you are pulling it in towards your body, up the legs, with the hips and knees opening at the same rate (back stays at the same angle) until the bar reaches the hips at which point you need to reach triple extension (ankles, knees and hips fully extended so up on the balls of your feet) and actively reverse the motion to get under the bar as quickly as possible. The bar doesn't appear to make contact at all with the legs as you lift it, it should be in contact with the legs and then stay as close to the body as possible for the rest of the lift. It is worth getting some coaching as a good coach can also help you with the mobility issues which will make learning technique easier. Glenn Pendlay has some videos going though each section of the lift, you can see the bar stays as close to the body as possible at all times so the elbows have to bend to maintain that.

www.californiastrength.com/olympic-weightlifting-videos/snatch/viewcategory/5/snatch

Thanks for the response.

I felt the bar could have been closer but it was cutting my shins when I started with the bar against my shins (as I do when I do a deadlift).

I have problems getting the ebows to move out, as it feels unatural. At the moment due to being new I'm using a light weight which feels a bit flimsy. I tried upping it by 10kg and it was too heavy to get above my head in one movement and ended up being a snatch to 90% and then the other 10% was a press when it was above my head.

In the video your hips open before your knees, so you're standing straight up and the bar lost contact above the knee, in a snatch deadlift your back is at the same angle from the floor until the bar hits the crease of the hips so you are bent over the bar with shoulders ahead all that time, (it helped me to think about shoving the knees back a little as I rise up rather than just standing straight up so the bar stays against the legs and my hips and knees opened at the same rate) at that point you are fully extending so the bar basically bounces off the hips as you straighten the body. I'm based in Cork too, I'll drop you a pm with the details of the coach I go to if you'd like?

In the video your hips open before your knees, so you're standing straight up and the bar lost contact above the knee, in a snatch deadlift your back is at the same angle from the floor until the bar hits the crease of the hips so you are bent over the bar with shoulders ahead all that time, (it helped me to think about shoving the knees back a little as I rise up rather than just standing straight up so the bar stays against the legs and my hips and knees opened at the same rate) at that point you are fully extending so the bar basically bounces off the hips as you straighten the body. I'm based in Cork too, I'll drop you a pm with the details of the coach I go to if you'd like?

So for the snatch deadlift it seems that the legs straighten before the the back returns to a vertical position. I seem to have a mental block for these type of movements.

As for hitting the bar off the hips (for lack of a better way of saying it) I understand why this is emphasised but in reality it seems to be more subtle than the way it is taught (meaning that the hip hitting the bar isn't like a kettlebell swing type movement). Not sure if that makes sense.\

As for getting under the bar, when I use a kettlebell (one handed KB snatch) I can rotate pretty well under the weight (mainly because the single kettlebell is heavier than the weight I'm using in the video I posted.

Aside from your comments:

I understand that a heavier weight means it will travel less and you need to get under it more (i.e. get more depth to the bottom of the catch). My hip mobility/flexibility (not sure which one is more appropriate, probably both) is poor, as is most of my mobility/flexibility (particularly my hamstrings) so getting that kind of depth is, at present, unnatural for me. If I try a deep squat (ass to the ground) I fall over backwards due to my ankle mobility, my toes come off the ground.

It's the same quick glute contraction/snap like a swing but I think it's not as obvious because the bar is already against the hips rather than the weight under/behind them and the backside well back like the start of a swing, and the whole lower body is maximally extending rather than predominantly the hips so I guess it doesn't have quite the same "pendulum" look to it? I guess the more it's emphasised the more people are likely to contract the glutes and extend the body rather than just jump up by extending the ankles and knees?

I don't think it's the weight of a KB that's making a KB snatch easier tbf, the mechanics of the movement aren't the same as in the arms start and finish in different places in both. The arms finish halfway between back and down in a BB snatch, they are closer to the centreline of the body in a KB snatch throughout so less flexibility is required from both legs and shoulders to maintain a centre of balance. Stuff like snatch balance, muscle snatches, shoulder dislocations etc even with a broom handle and going slowly can help get you into doing the turn over and getting under, it gives the movement pattern and will help build up your flexibility. It could be tight hip flexors too if you're falling backwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ordered 6 tubs of Muscletech Amino build and fat grips from bodybuilding.com. It was buy one get one free and even with steep postage it was a good deal. Ordered from the European site but now I see it's been shipped from fcuking Idaho. I hope customs don't charge me.

:(

"Notes on duty & taxes rates
    Supplements And Protein Powder has an import duty rate of 9% and VAT rate of 13.5%. Import Authorization may be required.
    Notes on import taxes due
    Duty result is nil because the total value of your products does not exceed €150.00
    Please include the costs of insurance to assure correct import tax calculation"

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

mightn't be too bad.

• Advertisement

Push your ass back as hard as possible. Stick your chin out as far as possible. Make it feel like your hamstrings are about to explode. Then jump. It's not so hard.

Your first pull, second pull and third are all miles off.

I wouldn't even bother trying to go off the floor until you've figured out the second pull.

Once you know that all you have to do is put the bar there and explode.

And a KB snatch is nothing like a weightlifting snatch.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Learn the hang snatch first, look up the burgner warm up drills on YouTube and practice them with a stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Right I want to settle something between a mate and myself. He's been training at 85% since last February and strictly doing leg press deadlift and squats. In 9months he's increased his weight on each by 10kg. He's training for a specific sport. I keep telling him his programme is balls and that 10kg in such a period is ridiculous especially since he's not elite.

Same programme for such a period I know is wrong, but try and tell him this. Not a hope. So who's correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Right I want to settle something between a mate and myself. He's been training at 85% since last February and strictly doing leg press deadlift and squats. In 9months he's increased his weight on each by 10kg. He's training for a specific sport. I keep telling him his programme is balls and that 10kg in such a period is ridiculous especially since he's not elite.

Same programme for such a period I know is wrong, but try and tell him this. Not a hope. So who's correct?

Not sure I understand. He has been training since February using 85% of his max on the lifts? How many sets / reps. By increasing 10kgs is that increasing the weight he uses by 10kgs total?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Has his sporting performance improved since February? If he is training for a specific sport then "improvement" should be judged on the field not necessarily in the gym. An increase in the gym can = an increase in athletic performance but it's not always the case.

Or he might have no idea what he's talking about and is just titting around, his 85% might actually be about 30% with the odd 70% thrown in on arms day.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not sure I understand. He has been training since February using 85% of his max on the lifts? How many sets / reps. By increasing 10kgs is that increasing the weight he uses by 10kgs total?

6 sets of 4 on each. He's increased his squat and DL by 10kg in total. He's hit two PRs in total. He doesn't train to peak, it's the same year round.

6 sets of 4 on each. He's increased his squat and DL by 10kg in total. He's hit two PRs in total. He doesn't train to peak, it's the same year round.

Why does his eliteness or lack thereof have to do with whether this is a good or bad program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Why does his eliteness or lack thereof have to do with whether this is a good or bad program?

It doesnt.

His point is that adding 10kg over a year or whatever the timeline was would be considered good progress, probably fantastic progress, for an elite athlete.

Its poor for a recreational, relatively new, gym user.

If he hasn't paid any heed 'til now, then a plaintive "Right, I checked on boards.ie and you're wrong" isn't going to change his mind :)

He knows there's too class lads on here. Just a post to say 'yeah your programme is awful.'

It's also for my own piece of mind:pac:

He knows there's too class lads on here. Just a post to say 'yeah your programme is awful.'

It's also for my own piece of mind:pac:

Well, it's not 'awful'. Awful would be doing 'weights' to supplement sports and it amounting to curls and bench over and over. :) Definitely better than doing nothing.

Well, it's not 'awful'. Awful would be doing 'weights' to supplement sports and it amounting to curls and bench over and over. :) Definitely better than doing nothing.

It absolutely is awful. Pathetic even.

The point I was getting at was that as a competing athlete he doesn't have a programme that peaks him for big events. He stops all gym work two weeks prior.

He's now heading into season two of this programme and all that's change is that he's going to be basing his 85% training target off a new 1RM which is only 5kg heavier then 9months ago!

He doesn't understand that he'll be much better at his sport of his training is more specific to it in the gym.

But hey, I tried:pac:

• Advertisement

What sport?

Track cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Hey folks is there any OL workshops coming up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Lads balls is an understatement unless his starting DL was 10kg. Most lads with good coaching starting out would make that type of progress is the first month.

It absolutely is awful. Pathetic even.

Okay!
    Track cycling.

I'd imagine that would require very specific supporting off track training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

A shīt ton of very heavy squatting. And other moves that make one beastly.

Google image some top track cyclists. Monsters. And nails to boot.

Okay!

But a skipful of posterior chain work as well.

Okay!

Like any other sport. IMO he should be sat down right now and look at the racing calendar and his programming should be at least set out in rough so that he's peaking for each event he plans on racing at.

Someday maybe when it's too late he might realise that he needs a new coach. I can only imagine the damage on his CNS after so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

siochain wrote: »
    Hey folks is there any OL workshops coming up?

What kind are you looking for? Beginner or something a bit more?

• Advertisement

Like any other sport. IMO he should be sat down right now and look at the racing calendar and his programming should be at least set out in rough so that he's peaking for each event he plans on racing at.

Someday maybe when it's too late he might realise that he needs a new coach. I can only imagine the damage on his CNS after so long.

Don't assume after a 2 week course you know it all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement