Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Hanley wrote: »
    Don't assume after a 2 week course you know it all.

I'm not, trust me. That's something I learned when you guys were ripping into me about heavy DL'ing too often:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

cc87 wrote: »
    What kind are you looking for? Beginner or something a bit more?

It's for a beginner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,616 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not, trust me. That's something I learned when you guys were ripping into me about heavy DL'ing too often:pac:
    You got ripped because you were testing 1RMs every week with poor form. Not because you weren't peaking.

The issue with your mate is that he wasn't adding weight to the bar. A simple linear progression would have done that.

Mellor wrote: »
    You got ripped because you were testing 1RMs every week with poor form. Not because you weren't peaking.

The issue with your mate is that he wasn't adding weight to the bar. A simple linear progression would have done that.

I know, on both accounts. Deadlifting is sorted now , thank god.

It's something that won't go through to him. He thinks he's making progression but stagnant for months at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How are his results on the track? Is he improving?

If he's imrpoving a little on the trac, he'll think he's doing the right work. Otherwise, you might be able to guide him.

But how much he listens might also be down to how you address it to him. Telling him he's all wrong won't help him. Telling him how to tweak what he does 'from good into great' might appeal to him.

• Advertisement

How are his results on the track? Is he improving?

If he's imrpoving a little on the trac, he'll think he's doing the right work. Otherwise, you might be able to guide him.

But how much he listens might also be down to how you address it to him. Telling him he's all wrong won't help him. Telling him how to tweak what he does 'from good into great' might appeal to him.

He's had marginal improvements on the track. .100 of a second I think was his only improvement but I'm gonna put that down to equipmet upgrade, e.g helmet, skin suit.

I've told him months upon months now that he needs to get himself to someone who knows what they're talking about off the bike. He needs a linear progression programme that has him peaking for certain events. Him and his coach see it better to lift the same thing day in day out for months at a time though.

He's had marginal improvements on the track. .100 of a second I think was his only improvement but I'm gonna put that down to equipmet upgrade, e.g helmet, skin suit.
    Unless he's elite, the equipment won't make that much of a difference.
    I've told him months upon months now that he needs to get himself to someone who knows what they're talking about off the bike. He needs a linear progression programme that has him peaking for certain events. Him and his coach see it better to lift the same thing day in day out for months at a time though.
    That's the problem right there. Unless he has a coach of some repute tell him and his coach that what he's doing isn't going to get the most out of him, then you're at nothing.

Unless he's elite, the equipment won't make that much of a difference.

That's the problem right there. Unless he has a coach of some repute tell him and his coach that what he's doing isn't going to get the most out of him, then you're at nothing.

You'd be surprised about the equipment. Kask helmet and skin suit would help a lot more.

He sees his coach as god, ad he should IF he's leading him down the right path.

You'd be surprised about the equipment. Kask helmet and skin suit would help a lot more.
    They would if he was at an elite level at track cycling.

That said, if he's shaving 0.1 s off a time of 50+ minutes, then it's possible they are the reason.

But if he's a sprint cyclist, it's unlikely.

They would if he was at an elite level at track cycling.

That said, if he's shaving 0.1 s off a time of 50+ minutes, then it's possible they are the reason.

But if he's a sprint cyclist, it's unlikely.

It's about aerodynamics in his sport also. Anything that stops drag is going to make you fast regardless of your actual ability.

• Advertisement

It's about aerodynamics in his sport also. Anything that stops drag is going to make you fast regardless of your actual ability.

Having given a presentation on aerodynamics on sport, I know a little about this :)

His riding position will be most important and I'm not saying they won't make a diffference but in a sprint race, I doubt the helmet and suit alone would make a 0.1s difference. Unless he was good enough to be competing against the likes of Jason Kenny for medals.

Having given a presentation on aerodynamics on sport, I know a little about this :)

His riding position will be most important and I'm not saying they won't make a diffference but in a sprint race, I doubt the helmet and suit alone would make a 0.1s difference. Unless he was good enough to be competing against the likes of Jason Kenny for medals.

Fair enough:)

I was just going on my own ability when I was cycling in changes to set up, equipment etc.. But I was racing in a time trial over 12 to 25 miles so I suppose differences in time would show up more compared to an event over 15 seconds or less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

siochain wrote: »
    It's for a beginner

I think you are better off getting a bit of one on one coaching instead of going to a seminar. Where are you based? There might be someone good near you

Seminars can vary hugely in quality and in terms of take home, usable info

Fair enough:)

I was just going on my own ability when I was cycling in changes to set up, equipment etc.. But I was racing in a time trial over 12 to 25 miles so I suppose differences in time would show up more compared to an event over 15 seconds or less?

It depends what you're comparing it to.

Like if you compare LeMond's set up to that of Fignon for the 24km time trial last stage of the 1989 TdF, where LeMond took 58 seconds out of Fignon, you would even be pushing it to say that LeMond's aero set up would gain him 0.1s on Fignon every 15 seconds.

It is probably his extra strength that's responsible for the majority of the 0.1s improvement on the track but it should be more. But unless his coach or a coach better than his own coach tells him his program isn't maximising his training, you're at nothing trying to tell him.

Next week, tune in to hear all about why golf balls have dimples! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

For some reason this is coming to mind
    hal-aero-helmet.jpg

It depends what you're comparing it to.

Like if you compare LeMond's set up to that of Fignon for the 24km time trial last stage of the 1989 TdF, where LeMond took 58 seconds out of Fignon, you would even be pushing it to say that LeMond's aero set up would gain him 0.1s on Fignon every 15 seconds.

It is probably his extra strength that's responsible for the majority of the 0.1s improvement on the track but it should be more. But unless his coach or a coach better than his own coach tells him his program isn't maximising his training, you're at nothing trying to tell him.

Really? That's fascinating!

It's a pity though because he trains bench etc.. on linear progression and has made great progress but can't see the correlation between the other exercises he does.

Haha, thanks for that Alf!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Im not waiting till next week, tell us now!

Although its probably something to do with turbulence and drag. Or to make them cute. Maybe so they all stack in the box easier without rolling around. Maybe to affect weight distribution
    ...it's the cute thing isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's a pity though because he trains bench etc.. on linear progression and has made great progress but can't see the correlation between the other exercises he does.

Just tell him to look up my most recent FB post re RevFit Strength Summit and if he doesn't come outta that in 8 weeks a bad ass motherf*cker I'll give him all his money back.

The size of those track boys legs is straight up silly.

It's a pity he's done so well on his bench consider how little it would impact on his cycling when compared with squats, deadlifts and other posterior chain exercises.

Just tell him to look up my most recent FB post re RevFit Strength Summit and if he doesn't come outta that in 8 weeks a bad ass motherf*cker I'll give him all his money back.

chris-hoy.jpg

• Advertisement

Although its probably something to do with turbulence and drag. Or to make them cute. Maybe so they all stack in the box easier without rolling around. Maybe to affect weight distribution
    ...it's the cute thing isn't it?

The cute thing was the original idea - who isn't melted by dimples?

But the turbulence created by the dimples drags the air flow further around the ball as it flies through the air and creates a small vortex behind it and this means less drag.

My high resolution image shows this:

balls.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

The cute thing was the original idea - who isn't melted by dimples?

But the turbulence created by the dimples drags the air flow further around the ball as it flies through the air and creates a small vortex behind it and this means less drag.

My high resolution image shows this:

balls.jpg

Knew it

Will do chief! Hopefully he'll just look into the idea even.

Check out some of the german lads!

1235996_721105227905605_1710167453_n.jpg
    chris-hoy.jpg

Is that the 631kg?

Is that the 631kg?

Yip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Is that the 631kg?
    That guy actually has a medical condition affecting muscle inhibition.

Sangre wrote: »
    That guy actually has a medical condition affecting muscle inhibition.
    Got lucky in the genetics lottery and ended up like the double muscle cows

There's a photo of him having a quad off with Greipel. He won pants down.

As an aside, there was the Italian swimmer whose father mated with a stingray

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4Tx3rlHYXYMcMnsgmK2FcSiOBi4z6-QfXFnlhjB9oiHSXLi_pRQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Förstemann is pretty outstanding even in that sport. Quadzilla apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

I know I'm completely biased here but Squatting, Benching n pulling should be part of any athlete/Sports persons strength training.

Pure and simply they will get you strong and thus improve ability, showcase strength on the sports arena.

Weightlifting I believe takes far too long to master to use for strenght training and will have minimal carryover.

I too got caught up on different things when I played rugby and didn't concentrate enough of what would help me on the pitch....your friend is probably doing the same with respect to track cycling but people are sometimes too set in their ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I think you are better off getting a bit of one on one coaching instead of going to a seminar. Where are you based? There might be someone good near you

Seminars can vary hugely in quality and in terms of take home, usable info

Naas

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Those quads clearly synthol. cue the synthols not functional crowd

Those quads clearly synthol. cue the synthols not functional crowd

Synthol?

Wash your mouth out!!!

With synthol?

With synthol?

With a capital 's' it's a mouthwash made by GSK...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The chaffing must be horrendous. Truly horrendous.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    The chaffing must be horrendous. Truly horrendous.

He's a sponsorship with a chamois cream company:P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Question on gaining weight.

As some here know I've been doing GVT for ~6 weeks (started my 7th today) and starting out my weight was 68.1kg and I'm now 71.5kg for a total gain of 3.4kg (7.5lbs).

My intended target was to get to 74kg before going to Vegas on 30/01/2014.

Just wondering if people think this is a decent amount to gain or is it too much too quick? And if the current is an acceptable gain for 6 weeks of GVT?

How do you feel the gainz are? How has your skinfolds/definition held up? Its about what I'd expect from a cycle of gvt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

How do you feel the gainz are? How has your skinfolds/definition held up? Its about what I'd expect from a cycle of gvt.

I think it's going alright. Like I've put on weight and done it cleanly just wasn't sure if the amount I'd put on in 6 weeks was good/ok.

Won't be able to post pics till tomorrow as the photos are on the laptop of my housemate who isn't home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Can anyone give me some advices on chalk please.
    I was looking a this: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/magnesium-carbonate-chalk-case-of-8-blocks.html
    Seems very good value but sounds kind of crumbly from reviews.
    Any brands/supplier recommended?

• Advertisement

MrPain wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some advices on chalk please.
    I was looking a this: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/magnesium-carbonate-chalk-case-of-8-blocks.html
    Seems very good value but sounds kind of crumbly from reviews.
    Any brands/supplier recommended?

If you're training in a commercial gym I'd recommend liquid chalk. The blocks are good but are messy.

Liquid chalk is good. Another option is a chalk ball, which I don't think is as messy as a block but it's not the cleanest either (you'd pick one up in Basecamp for about a fiver I think). I keep it in a bag so the chalk doesn't go everywhere.

I have a chalk ball and completely forgot till you mentioned it! They're brilliant too. A zip lock bag and ball would be great.

siochain wrote: »
    Naas

Cheers

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/olympic-weightlifting-practical-workshop-with-wil-fleming-tickets-9583922771

The chap in this link is doing a seminar in Wicklow if you wanted to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,616 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Still sick this morning so skipped the 6am session.
    It's approaching 1am, and I feel like I could knock out something. There's a CF gym near work, was thinking about a drop in session.
    Casual rate is $30!!! WTF.

Would make more sense to pay a bit extra for 1 on 1.

Mellor wrote: »
    Still sick this morning so skipped the 6am session.
    It's approaching 1am, and I feel like I could knock out something. There's a CF gym near work, was thinking about a drop in session.
    Casual rate is $30!!! WTF.

Would make more sense to pay a bit extra for 1 on 1.

They're just pricing themselves outta the market cos drop
    Ins are a pain in the balls...

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

It would appear that I'm a very close stance raw squatter.

Guess I've these big legs for a reason!

Da Za wrote: »
    It would appear that I'm a very close stance raw squatter.

Guess I've these big legs for a reason!

...something something something spent too much time looking at multiply lifters tryna squat that way raw :D

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ed4_1385744310

Anybody seen this? Absolutely disgusting! He's ready to explode with infection. Also, if you're gonna do it at least make it proportionate :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ed4_1385744310

Anybody seen this? Absolutely disgusting! He's ready to explode with infection. Also, if you're gonna do it at least make it proportionate :pac:

Nah, pure natural. Good genetics, rahmen noodles and hard work. Haters gona hate :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement