Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

D8 fitness on the quays if you're based in Dublin.

there's usually only €5 difference in the price so I'd go for competition bell all day every day.

If you're buying it as an investment and you have the cash, buy two, a 16kg and a 24kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

D8 fitness on the quays if you're based in Dublin.

there's usually only €5 difference in the price so I'd go for competition bell all day every day.

If you're buying it as an investment and you have the cash, buy two, a 16kg and a 24kg.

I had D8 in mind. Thanks for all the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I had D8 in mind. Thanks for all the info.

They are on Cork St now.

http://www.d8fitness.com/location/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Raw gym or Blackrock gym?

Thoughts? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I got this thing called 'the grenade' the other day. It's a bit of plastic tube with foam wrapped around it.

It is possibly the best thing I have ever bought. Staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Just as I was getting back into the swing of things after my thyroid going completely awful I would have to break my finger :( Typing is hard :(

There was a post months and months ago from someone who described what they did before a bodybuilding comp.

Can anyone remember who wrote it or have a link to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

There was a post months and months ago from someone who described what they did before a bodybuilding comp.

Nutrition or Training wise can you remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Everytime I go on an Irish sports persons twitter there is always a post going on about that Vita Coco drink. Can anyone explain what is so good about it or is it owned by some ex rugby player or something.

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Nutrition or Training wise can you remember?

Nutrition (I think)

• Advertisement

I might have a link there to an article somebody linked about carb depletion pre-comp & loading after pre-judging. I'll see if I can dig it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Everytime I go on an Irish sports persons twitter there is always a post going on about that Vita Coco drink. Can anyone explain what is so good about it or is it owned by some ex rugby player or something.

They have a huge advertising budget. Literally we had a representative into all the gyms I worked in london each week and assume they were doing the same with other chains. Personally I think it tastes like cack compared to other brands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It's rubbish, Koh ( I think ) is nicer and it's just coconut water, vita has loads of stuff added AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Front Squats can go and fück themselves !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I can't help on that specifically but if it's good solid knowhow based around that sort of thing you're after, and you don't know already, then Bodyrecomposition is the place to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Was this it??

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_mass/shredded_in_6_days

Very briefly tested our custom built sprint sled tonight. All 90kg of cronin_j jumped on - it is going to be a gem for out and out leg destruction.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Doing a lot of fasted lifting / cardio recently and according to Mr Leangais Martin Berkhan I should be taking BCAA..

Its on offer on myprotein at the minute and if you spend over €25 and use BCAA20IE you get 250g free

I just got 750g delivered for €30.71 its usually over €30 plus delivery for 500g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

conzy wrote: »
    Doing a lot of fasted lifting / cardio recently and according to Mr Leangais Martin Berkhan I should be taking BCAA..

Its on offer on myprotein at the minute and if you spend over €25 and use BCAA20IE you get 250g free

I just got 750g delivered for €30.71 its usually over €30 plus delivery for 500g

I got ON unflavoured BCAA. It tastes terrible! Get flavoured or find something to mix it with. Though if you're taking them in a fasted state it's to be tough to find a 0 calorie drink to mix it with.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I got ON unflavoured BCAA. It tastes terrible! Get flavoured or find something to mix it with. Though if you're taking them in a fasted state it's to be tough to find a 0 calorie drink to mix it with.

I use fizzy vitamin C tablet in mine and covers the taste fine.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I got 500g of Berry Blast and the free 250g is unflavored. I might just mix them together hopefully the 2:1 ratio will be enough to mask the taste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Regarding the ON BCAA - just mix it with Ribena or another fruit dilute and blend it. All you have to do is just down it from there.

Dathai wrote: »
    Regarding the ON BCAA - just mix it with Ribena or another fruit dilute and blend it. All you have to do is just down it from there.

Problem with this is it takes you out of the fasted state. I assume he's taking BCAA's to avoid catabolism while lifting in a fasted state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I find the scivation extend range very good from a flavour point of view, grape being my Fav...bit expensive though at 60 quid a pop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Problem with this is it takes you out of the fasted state. I assume he's taking BCAA's to avoid catabolism while lifting in a fasted state.

Would a sugar free dilute drink take you out of a fasted state?
    Nutrional info on the Robinsons site says theres 2 calories per 100ml.

brownej wrote: »
    Would a sugar free dilute drink take you out of a fasted state?
    Nutrional info on the Robinsons site says theres 2 calories per 100ml.

Ah wasn't aware that they were basically calorie free. Though I have heard that aspartame has the same effect on your insulin levels as sugar which is what you're trying to avoid when fasting. I'm assuming they replace sugar with aspartame here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Ah wasn't aware that they were basically calorie free. Though I have heard that aspartame has the same effect on your insulin levels as sugar which is what you're trying to avoid when fasting. I'm assuming they replace sugar with aspartame here?

That's incorrect. Otherwise after a diet coke while fasted you'd suffer from hypoglycemia.

rocky wrote: »
    That's incorrect. Otherwise after a diet coke while fasted you'd suffer from hypoglycemia.

I Dono I've seen it in a few different places. Mostly paleo related places I think so there obviously is a bias. And I don't mean it had the same effect gram for gram. Honestly I don't know enough about it to argue either way I've just seen it mentioned a few times.

• Advertisement

I Dono I've seen it in a few different places. Mostly paleo related places I think so there obviously is a bias. And I don't mean it had the same effect gram for gram. Honestly I don't know enough about it to argue either way I've just seen it mentioned a few times.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22853297

In the above study Carbs + asprtame reduce insulin during exercise

Insulin reduced in this one too

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2923074

No effect

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3046854

Interestingly in this one the only thing that elicited an insulin repsonse was the apple pie, sham feed in this study means they chewed the food then spat it out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7652029

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22853297

In the above study Carbs + asprtame reduce insulin during exercise

Insulin reduced in this one too

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2923074

No effect

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3046854

Interestingly in this one the only thing that elicited an insulin repsonse was the apple pie, sham feed in this study means they chewed the food then spat it out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7652029

I guess it's fine then for a fasted state.

If not fasting though isn't during exercise and directly after exercise the only real times you want an insulin spike?

Depends on your goals, if you want to get lean or just maintain then yes, if you want to play with the big boys then you got to embrace the slin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Is there any truth behind having to cycle off creatine every so often or is it just bro science?

dylbert wrote: »
    Is there any truth behind having to cycle off creatine every so often or is it just bro science?

Nope. You don;t need to do the loading phase either though it will get you to saturation quicker by a week or two. Once saturation is reached which is a week or two if loading or 3 or 4 weeks if just taking 5g a day then you just need to maintain on 5g. I'll be taking 5g a day for as long as I can anyway. Creatine has a lot more benefits than just strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I get adequate protein in my three (sometimes two) meals a day + post training. I usually fast from 8pm-12noon.

What if any advantages would taking BCAA give me?

If I was to train fasted would it offer any benefits?

Currently train fasted maybe three times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Nope. You don;t need to do the loading phase either though it will get you to saturation quicker by a week or two. Once saturation is reached which is a week or two if loading or 3 or 4 weeks if just taking 5g a day then you just need to maintain on 5g. I'll be taking 5g a day for as long as I can anyway. Creatine has a lot more benefits than just strength.

I don't buy the 5g thing. There's no way a 75kg dude who doesn't train hard maintains saturation the same as a 90-110kg lifter who's busting ass multiple times per week. I've always seen better results with approx 10g!

I'm actually a big believer in the loading phase for creatine but I only use it when doing an intensification phase and not an accumulation phase. The point is to go from a slightly depleted creatine level then you'll be able to reach a supra-physiological level which will lead to better strength gains. I can't back this up with anything other then exeperience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Though I have heard that aspartame has the same effect on your insulin levels as sugar which is what you're trying to avoid when fasting. I'm assuming they replace sugar with aspartame here?

You hear a lot about Aspartame repeating in lots of places. Means nothing.

Look at it this way. If Aspartame produced a similar (even is less intense) reaction as sugar. Diet coke would be havoc for diabetics. Considering how often they self monitor their blood, we'd have a lot more concrete proof of the aspartame theory than some random website.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Not wanting to start my own thread on this to clutter the home page but just wondering, for people starting out with deadlifts, what is an ideal weight to be lifting?

At the moment, I'm lifting 60kg (132lbs) and I weight 72.4kg @6 foot. My goal is to be lifting twice my bodyweight by Christmas.

Achievable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not wanting to start my own thread on this to clutter the home page but just wondering, for people starting out with deadlifts, what is an ideal weight to be lifting?

At the moment, I'm lifting 60kg (132lbs) and I weight 72.4kg @6 foot. My goal is to be lifting twice my bodyweight by Christmas.

Achievable?

The ideal is probably whatever the minimum full sized plate you have and the bar amounts to.

In theory it's achieveable assuming your training program is well structured, your time between sessions / nutrition / sleep allows for adequate recovery and you don't injure yourself through lifting with incorrect form.

The Deadlift seems like a non technical lift - just pull it off the floor right? But achieving a good solid position where your spine is neutral throughout the lift is a challenge in of itself. Save yourself problems down the road by getting your form sorted before you start lashing weight onto the bar imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The ideal is probably whatever the minimum full sized plate you have and the bar amounts to.
    +1, it might be obvious why but to explain -the heavier plates are typically larger diameter and so lift the bar off the ground more. A low bar makes it much harder to do.

I had 2x20kg plates and a hollow standard bar, so it was only 42kg and raised nicely of the ground. Before I had the large plates I would put things under the 10kg plates to raise them off the ground.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

In theory it's achieveable assuming your training program is well structured, your time between sessions / nutrition / sleep allows for adequate recovery and you don't injure yourself through lifting with incorrect form.

The Deadlift seems like a non technical lift - just pull it off the floor right? But achieving a good solid position where your spine is neutral throughout the lift is a challenge in of itself. Save yourself problems down the road by getting your form sorted before you start lashing weight onto the bar imo.

Cheers Lloyd. Been reading your thread on IPB.

My training program is 4 days weights, 1 day cardio broken in the following way:

Monday:
    Incline Barbell Bench Press 15, 8, 8, 6
    Flat Barbell Bench Press 15, 8, 8, 6
    Dips 15, 8, 8, 6
    Barbell Pullover 15, 8, 8, 6

Tuesday:
    Barbell squats 15, 8, 8, 6
    Front Barbell Squats (to be changed to split squats due to an injured shoulder) 15, 8, 8, 6
    Sumo Deadlift 15, 8, 8, 6
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift 15, 8, 8, 6

Wednesday:
    45 minute skipping session

Thursday:
    Barbell Military Press 15, 8, 8, 6
    Barpell Upright Row 15, 8, 8, 6
    Barbell Clean & Press 15, 8, 8, 6

Friday:
    Pull-up 15, 8, 8, 6
    Bent-Over Barbell Row 15, 8, 8, 6
    Barbell Deadlift 15, 8, 8, 6

Have more weights coming to the house on Monday but will probably be using the gym more as it's starting to get expensive to keep getting more plates... :)

Just to add: In the gym I use small plates on an Olympic bar but at home I only have large plates on a standard bar

Well you'll see that I've had my struggles with Deadlift form then!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I dont think its achievable.

I dont think its achievable.

In theory lots of things are possible!

Practice is a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Have more weights coming to the house on Monday but will probably be using the gym more as it's starting to get expensive to keep getting more plates... :)

Just to add: In the gym I use small plates on an Olympic bar but at home I only have large plates on a standard bar

The cost will slow down as you go on and it gets harder to lift more. You can, eventually, flog all your plates + bar and buy a good Olympic set if you desire. Think of them as an investment ;)

To be honest, the idea of hitting that achievement isn't something set in stone. It's just a goal to work towards. It beats just going through the motions - now I've something to aim for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

You'll need good flexibility to pull from the floor with proper form using small diameter plates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Achievable?

If your goal is a double BW Deadlift by Chrustmas, might I suggest that on Deadlift days, you do the Deadlift FIRST, and that you work in the 3-5 rep range for 6-7 weeks at a time & then go for some heavy singles every 8th week or so.

You're following what looks like some sort of bodybuilding pyramiding down programme, & while you will see some gains on it, in terms of strength & your DL max going up, it could/would go up more if you followed a strength training protocol instead of a bodybuilding one. (I'm not bashing BB programmes, I'm following one myself - but my goal isn't strength/one rep max focussed at the moment.

I'd also agree with other posters about form, very hard to achieve a good starting position with small plates, you should make sure the bar starts at mid shin level, ie, the height of a proper Olympic barbell with 2 x 20kg standard plates on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

My training program is 4 days weights, 1 day cardio broken in the following way:

Monday:
    Incline Barbell Bench Press 15, 8, 8, 6
    Flat Barbell Bench Press 15, 8, 8, 6
    Dips 15, 8, 8, 6
    Barbell Pullover 15, 8, 8, 6

Tuesday:
    Barbell squats 15, 8, 8, 6
    Front Barbell Squats (to be changed to split squats due to an injured shoulder) 15, 8, 8, 6
    Sumo Deadlift 15, 8, 8, 6
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift 15, 8, 8, 6

Wednesday:
    45 minute skipping session

Thursday:
    Barbell Military Press 15, 8, 8, 6
    Barpell Upright Row 15, 8, 8, 6
    Barbell Clean & Press 15, 8, 8, 6

Friday:
    Pull-up 15, 8, 8, 6
    Bent-Over Barbell Row 15, 8, 8, 6
    Barbell Deadlift 15, 8, 8, 6

Injured shoulder you say? Not surprising with the structure above. Way too much pushing, not enough pulling!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement