Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Thud wrote: »

Article says sugar is fattening but says fat is not anymore fattening than carbs ? Article only compares low carb diets to low fat diets . What about a balanced diet? Some good info in there but there is also some rubbish.

dor843088 wrote: »
    Article says sugar is fattening but says fat is not anymore fattening than carbs ? Article only compares low carb diets to low fat diets . What about a balanced diet? Some good info in there but there is also some rubbish.

It says sugar increases insulin resistance and fat doesn't

bluewolf wrote: »
    It says sugar increases insulin resistance and fat doesn't

It says in several places that sugar consumption is linked with obesity but then says further down fat is as fattening as carbs. For someone to even say any particular macro is fattening or not fattening just goes to show they haven't even a basic understanding of nutrition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

High sugar consumption...

I think the most important thing to learn here is that those fcuking bumps on your upper arms disappear if you stop eating wheat :eek::eek::eek:
    The ones no exfoliating or moiturising or anything will ever get rid of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think the most important thing to learn here is that those fcuking bumps on your upper arms disappear if you stop eating wheat :eek::eek::eek:

Goosebumps? ;)

Goosebumps? ;)

:pac:

I think the proper name is kerastosis pilaris

Davei141 wrote: »
    High sugar consumption...

High sugar=obesity . High fat=weight loss . Got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dor843088 = Troll or just thick?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

JJayoo wrote: »
    1466035_10200368921264246_686094563_n.jpg

That was actually a joke by a self-deprecating vegan.

http://teamcoco.com/video/myq-kaplan-wwjd

That didn't work for me unfortunately. What did work was increasing my consumption of retinol rich foods (animal form of vitamin A), apparently celtic people have a gene that means trouble converting beta-carotene (the plant form of A) into retinol.

If you don't want to eat liver, retina A skin cream seems to work too (expensive though!)

• Advertisement

Guess im a thick for agreeing with the stickies .

And get a haircut.

I actually really need one.

That was actually a joke by a self-deprecating vegan.

http://teamcoco.com/video/myq-kaplan-wwjd

That didn't work for me unfortunately. What did work was increasing my consumption of retinol rich foods (animal form of vitamin A), apparently celtic people have a gene that means trouble converting beta-carotene (the plant form of A) into retinol.

If you don't want to eat liver, retina A skin cream seems to work too (expensive though!)

Oh that's a shame
    It does seem to have worked for me, friend mentioned it happened to her and I only started rubbing my arms to investigate last night :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I'm thinking about going vegan.
    Right after I eat all this....

Muscovy duck I killed Thursday, leg of venison shot a few months back and a boring store bought steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Muscovy duck I killed Thursday, leg of venison shot a few months back and a boring store bought steak.

How mundane must it be to buy steak when you're used to catching and killing your own food.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Has anyone checked out Chris Kresser's new book, ''Your Personal Paleo Code''? I often hear good things about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Essien wrote: »
    How mundane must it be to buy steak when you're used to catching and killing your own food.

It is a bit, I might sneak up on the steaks next time and pounce on one before wrestling it to the ground and making a snap sound.

I'm thinking about going vegan.
    Right after I eat all this....

I'm inspired! There are some swans nearby. I'm going to find out what they taste like fried, roasted and grilled.

http://www.donedeal.ie/gym-for-sale/new-body-new-you/6211751

"The best products you can buy to reach you goal if it's to put on weight or loose massive weight fast ????

My weight loss products

To loose

1 stone is 80euro

2 stone 130euro

3 stone 160euro

4 stone 180euro

Anything over can me please ?

My tablets are extremely good and work fast that is very they so expensive to others ?

Bulking products

Want to put on lean muscle to bulk muscle

We have everything to give you lean slim muscle look to bulk muscle look products from 50euro to 120euro you'll see huge difference ?

Please if your taking any medication text me what it is for thanks

Free delivery"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Such Ad, much sale, very success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Left the gym at 9:30am on the first Monday in January...literally the quietest I've seen it in ages. Facebook is full of liars. :)

Essien wrote: »
    Left the gym at 9:30am on the first Monday in January...literally the quietest I've seen it in ages. Facebook is full of liars. :)

Really? Damn I was thinking monday in january would be busy
    Tomorrow so

Really? Damn I was thinking monday in january would be busy
    Tomorrow so

Probably jammed this evening. The New Years resolutions have already been put on hold until today and it's the first day back of work for a lot of people who don't want to heap more misery on themselves by going to the gym first thing.

Probably jammed this evening. The New Years resolutions have already been put on hold until today and it's the first day back of work for a lot of people who don't want to heap more misery on themselves by going to the gym first thing.

Yeah I never go in the evening, lovely first thing in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Gym was definitely a bit busier yesterday evening and this morning. Hopefully it will peter out soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Raw was dead when I was there last week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Had the entire gym to myself yesterday evening. All the grunting and shouting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Still can't train...competition in 4 weeks...stupid stupid stupid SI joint :'(

• Advertisement

Tried this this morning

ke9o4m.jpg

It tastes like what I imagine a fat mans sweaty foot would task like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

"Imagine"
    dr-evil-photo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The girlfriend got me a bottle of 12 year old balsamic vinegar as part of my christmas present. Tastes fantastic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Dermighty wrote: »
    The girlfriend got me a bottle of 12 year old balsamic vinegar as part of my christmas present. Tastes fantastic!

Ultimate present recycle.

I might give someone the '98 United jersey next year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Tried this this morning

ke9o4m.jpg

Original , or any of the flavours? I'm sitting on a dozen very berrys and banana choc chip... hopefully they're nicer :(

I just tried the original.

Not a fan of flavoured porridge.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me if they think that this would be good for improving grip on the bar?

It's something I use to absorb sweat and improve my grip in bowling. I've a load of these things in my locker at the alley and have no clue where to get climbing chalk (asked at the crossfit centre and they import from Germany)

thats just a cloth is it?

you can get liquid chalk on amazon, and all the supplement stores sell it as well as chalk balls/bags etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

I'm in Dublin and get mine from the great outdoors just off grafton st.

These guys are based in cork and have it too. Any hiking shop should sell it if they have a climbing section

http://www.outdooradventurestore.ie/products/rock-climbing/accessories_,_books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Looking for a new pair of gym trainers, anyone got any they would recommend? Have a 100 euro one4all voucher I plan on blowing.

Looking for a new pair of gym trainers, anyone got any they would recommend? Have a 100 euro one4all voucher I plan on blowing.

You looking for something like squat shoes (like the Adidas Adipowers) or just general all-purpose gym runners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Marty check on reebok.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I like nike frees for general stuff, but would recommend lifting shoes for squatting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You looking for something like squat shoes (like the Adidas Adipowers) or just general all-purpose gym runners?

I'm kinda torn between he Adipower or something similar or general all purpose gym runners. Think all purpose would suit me best as about once a week I do like to do a bit of HIIT on the threadmill and don't think Adipower be good for that but I do have two pairs of decent Asic running shoes as I started of getting into running like most before weights.

I'm kinda torn between he Adipower or something similar or general all purpose gym runners. Think all purpose would suit me best as about once a week I do like to do a bit of HIIT on the threadmill and don't think Adipower be good for that but I do have two pairs of decent Asic running shoes as I started of getting into running like most before weights.

I wouldn’t go wearing Asics/running runners fordoing weights where you’ll be lifting heavy weights. You’ll want non-compressible soles for that. It’s better for your feet and your stabilityin the lift.

thats just a cloth is it?

you can get liquid chalk on amazon, and all the supplement stores sell it as well as chalk balls/bags etc.

No no, it's a talc bag. I'll throw up a photo later when I'm at the alley.
    Wood wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin and get mine from the great outdoors just off grafton st.

These guys are based in cork and have it too. Any hiking shop should sell it if they have a climbing section

http://www.outdooradventurestore.ie/products/rock-climbing/accessories_,_books

Thanks for that but I don't live in Ireland :)

No no, it's a talc bag. I'll throw up a photo later when I'm at the alley.

Thanks for that but I don't live in Ireland :)

so its just a bag of chalk?

Then yes it will help your grip in DL, well it will absorb the sweat and stop it slipping.

what will help more is getting a better grip.

if youre doing farmers walks then continue, but jsut folding the weight is a step in the right direction.
    add holding onto a heavy bar, load up a bar with as much weight as possible and just hold it for as long as you can. You can also do this with hard to hold items like two plates, held by the edges, or a dumbell held by the plate not the bar etc.

Also pull ups, or just hanging from the bar. do it inbetween squat sets. grab the bar and just hang there. try to pull yourself up with just your fingers.

Yea, it's a bag of chalk in a bag.. chalkception.

Someone also suggested holding the lift out for a few seconds at the top of the DL. I'll give this a go to improve. I definitely have more in my legs it's just my grip strength is rubbish.

I wouldn't use deadlifts to increase my grip strength. I would instead just add extra back volume such as DB rows/BB rows/Lat pull down. Once your grip begins to fail on these lifts use straps.

Thanks man. Hopefully working on my rows and farmers walks will help things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

No no, it's a talc bag.

Talc or chalk?

Cos talc on a bar is second only to butter as far as worsening grip goes. Talc is to prevent friction, friction is pretty much the basis of grip.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement