Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

bluewolf wrote: »
    Historically it was cool for both men and women to wear them

During the 16th century, European royalty started wearing high-heeled shoes to make them look taller or larger than life, such as Catherine de Medici or Mary I of England. By 1580, men also wore them, and a person with authority or wealth was often referred to as "well-heeled".[9]
    In the ninth century, Persian horseback warriors actually wore an extended heel made up for keeping feet from sliding out of stirrups. This also kept riders still when they needed to stand up and shoot arrows.

I did low squats on friday and my calves are so tight and shortened, I couldn't walk all weekend.
    Heels might help :pac: :pac:

They were also worn in England as the street doubled as a sewage system and you don't want **** on your pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I did low squats on friday and my calves are so tight and shortened, I couldn't walk all weekend.
    Heels might help :pac: :pac:

Not sure if this is the point you're trying to maek but heels are the worst things to wear for tight calves.

Sangre wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the point you're trying to maek but heels are the worst things to wear for tight calves.

Yeah, it was a joke :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone know anywhere to download audio books?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Anyone know anywhere to download audio books?

Booksshouldbefree.com

• Advertisement

dor843088 wrote: »
    Booksshouldbefree.com

Cheers, pal;):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Cheers, pal;):pac:

FRIEND_4cc29b_979214.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Oly shoes.

Bin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    Oly shoes.

Bin.

Whut??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sangre wrote: »

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Hanley wrote: »
    Whut??

I'm not wearing them any more. Ludicrous good morning-ing of weights going on despite every possible workaround. Missed the third rep on my 3rd set with 220kg this lunchtime our of pure refusal to good morning it up. In a temper I threw on my old converse and popped out 5 upright reps with 200kg. I could actually push through my heels and it was a lightbulb moment.

That phantom stranger kicking me in the back as I approach depth on my squat wasn't there.

Whatever biomechanical issues oly shoes help with, I don't have them. I literally only got them because all the cool kids had them. Depth was never an issue for me in cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

kevpants wrote: »
    I'm not wearing them any more. Ludicrous good morning-ing of weights going on despite every possible workaround. Missed the third rep on my 3rd set with 220kg this lunchtime our of pure refusal to good morning it up. In a temper I threw on my old converse and popped out 5 upright reps with 200kg. I could actually push through my heels and it was a lightbulb moment.

That phantom stranger kicking me in the back as I approach depth on my squat wasn't there.

Whatever biomechanical issues oly shoes help with, I don't have them. I literally only got them because all the cool kids had them. Depth was never an issue for me in cons.

From our convo's was considering getting them to help but with a great improvement just yesterday I feel I don't need them, as depth isn't an issue either, plus I love my metal squat shoes even though they're getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Historically it was cool for both men and women to wear them

During the 16th century, European royalty started wearing high-heeled shoes to make them look taller or larger than life, such as Catherine de Medici or Mary I of England. By 1580, men also wore them, and a person with authority or wealth was often referred to as "well-heeled".[9]
    In the ninth century, Persian horseback warriors actually wore an extended heel made up for keeping feet from sliding out of stirrups. This also kept riders still when they needed to stand up and shoot arrows.
    I doubt any cowboys or horseback warriors had stilettos though! or anything near as high as what you see nowadays. Short men might still wear them for aesthetic reasons, but they are not wobbling around like they are about to fall off stilts!

I know a guy who must be 6'1'' who has heeled cowboy boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

44832302.jpg

papu wrote: »
    44832302.jpg

Well.. Are you?:pac:

Oh I am yeah , I was stuffing my face at the time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've never really proper bulked. Goal was to get leaner for competition. Made 73kg division mid-late last year.
    After comps finished for the year, I went with surplus on weight training days, and slight deficit on rest days to recomp/add some mass. Finished up 77.5kg start of december. At least I thought that was finished.
    Took 6 weeks off training, and went home for xmas, came back at 79.5kg.

Trying to convince myself that this was delayed gains. You body needs rest to grow yo!

Mellor wrote: »
    I've never really proper bulked. Goal was to get leaner for competition. Made 73kg division mid-late last year.
    After comps finished for the year, I went with surplus on weight training days, and slight deficit on rest days to recomp/add some mass. Finished up 77.5kg start of december. At least I thought that was finished.
    Took 6 weeks off training, and went home for xmas, came back at 79.5kg.

Trying to convince myself that this was delayed gains. You body needs rest to grow yo!

Whats with the surplus/deficit on training/non training days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whats with the surplus/deficit on training/non training days?
    Lean gains type template, without the IF stuff. Attempt to recomp as I palnned gettign back down the the same competition weight in the new year. so flat out bulks wasn't ideal
    Basically get enough protein everyday. Add moderate carbs in on training days, (including carbs from grains :eek:). .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

papu wrote: »
    Oh I am yeah , I was stuffing my face at the time too.

fc,220x200,baby_blue.u1.jpg

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Lean gains type template, without the IF stuff. Attempt to recomp as I palnned gettign back down the the same competition weight in the new year. so flat out bulks wasn't ideal
    Basically get enough protein everyday. Add moderate carbs in on training days, (including carbs from grains :eek:). .

Be careful bro grains are a gateway food.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Back in the gym this morning after a week of illness..

Had 67.5kg bench for 3 sets of 5 programmed.. Did 65kg for 3x5 easy over Christmas.

Had to drop to 55kg :( Damn sickness, I felt like this:

h7A727EEE

Today I learnt that a scarf can make an excellent weight belt for chinups/dips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

JJayoo wrote: »
    Today I learnt that a scarf can make an excellent weight belt for chinups/dips.
    Ties as well are quite strong. Most people have a few old ones lying around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

How big and strong can you get without using steroids? I know its going to be different for everyone but say could you bench 200kg natural?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

jugger0 wrote: »
    How big and strong can you get without using steroids? I know its going to be different for everyone but say could you bench 200kg natural?

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html

Elite level at 145 kgs is 192 kgs.

jugger0 wrote: »

I think there is a few 200kg benches in Ireland in the IDFPA. Open to correction though.

I think there is a few 200kg benches in Ireland in the IDFPA. Open to correction though.

I'm not too sure on that one, sure there has to be a few.

Some outrageous pullers in the idfpa, a few 300+ pullers.

• Advertisement

Couple of 200+ benchers in the IDFPA National Records.

Biggest is a chap in the 145+ weight class benching 240.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Wood

I think David Fitzhenry did a 240 bench around '04 or '05

Wood wrote: »

Yeah, in '03 he hit 210 in the 145kg class and two years later in the 145+ he hit 240.

Wood wrote: »

hmmmmmmmm questionable, not the actual bench though

Is the idfpa the only place a novice lifter can cut his teeth when starting out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Competing in the IDFPA doesn't neccesarily guarantee the competitor is PED free though does it?

• Advertisement

Is the idfpa the only place a novice lifter can cut his teeth when starting out?

Nope, I started in the idfpa then started lifting in the GPC and IPO as the worlds were here in 2011. Started to lift multiply and so stayed there ever since.

There is the IPO Nationals in Drogheda on 5th April and this promises to be a great meet.

Start in any fed I'd suggest and just get going for anyone interested.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Competing in the IDFPA doesn't neccesarily guarantee the competitor is PED free though does it?

Nope it doesn't realistically but why would you?

There are other feds that don't drug test so no need to and ultimately it's completely pathetic if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Da Za wrote: »
    Nope it doesn't realistically but why would you?

There are other feds that don't drug test so no need to and ultimately it's completely pathetic if you do.

I would have guessed, like anything else, people like to win / break records / etc sometimes by any means possible.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I would have guessed, like anything else, people like to win / break records / etc sometimes by any means possible.

It means you've a better chance of competing against people not on PEDs.

No matter what sport you partake in, you're not guaranteed to be competing with/against people on PEDs.

Dave Smith - 200kg raw bench in the gym in Hercs 2007

Dave FitzHenry - 200kg 3x5 in Hercs in 2006. No lift off. No spotter. Open mouthed Hanley.

• Advertisement

...and then there was his 320 equipped attempt in Kinsale in '06 that The Drifter caught with his knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

There's a guy who trains in WW Clontarf that I have seen do 210 for 5 - and this was at 7AM. He's about 6'4 and weighs 125, a Polish guy. He said his 1RM was 230, which seems legit.

There's a guy who trains in WW Clontarf that I have seen do 210 for 5 - and this was at 7AM. He's about 6'4 and weighs 125, a Polish guy. He said his 1RM was 230, which seems legit.

Id say hes got an arse like a dartboard.

I'd shake hands with anyone who's open about it and claiming PR's but it's those who deny it.

There's one polish lad in my gym and he's benching 190kg or so and is 100% honest about his use. I just say fair play to him because he doesn't compete, he's open and honest and he's pretty sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

Id say hes got an arse like a dartboard.

Yeah, why? Maybe you're right, I wouldn't be able to tell either way.

Is the answer to the original question that this kind of strength is just not achievable without drugs?

Is the answer to the original question that this kind of strength is just not achievable without drugs?

It's not achievable without great genetics and lots of work.

What's the best option for buying large quantities of meat online? There are a number of different companies doing this and they all seem fairly similar. Would want to buy Irish produce only.

Ill put it to you this way (and im open to be corrected on this) before steroids were popularised a 500lb bench press RAW would have obliterated all other records by a huge margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

JJayoo wrote: »
    What's the best option for buying large quantities of meat online? There are a number of different companies doing this and they all seem fairly similar. Would want to buy Irish produce only.

I use http://www.courtneyfoodservice.com/

Recommended them in another thread and the lad I recommended them to was happy as well so they definitely have two satisfied customers.

I can't comment on their delivery times/reliability as I usually call into their Kimmage outlet to get my stuff, but I find them to be great value.

link_2007 wrote: »
    I use http://www.courtneyfoodservice.com/

Recommended them in another thread and the lad I recommended them to was happy as well so they definitely have two satisfied customers.

I can't comment on their delivery times/reliability as I usually call into their Kimmage outlet to get my stuff, but I find them to be great value.

http://www.courtneyfoodservice.com/en-catalog-viewObject-5-17-13-0

5 x 6oz Striploins for 10 euro :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement