Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

brownej wrote: »
    You'll need good flexibility to pull from the floor with proper form using small diameter plates!

I've been working on my stretches a lot! It's not something I would have considered for deadlifts though. Had been stretching for other exercises. Before I couldn't touch my toes, now I can get my fingertips underneath them :)
    If your goal is a double BW Deadlift by Chrustmas, might I suggest that on Deadlift days, you do the Deadlift FIRST, and that you work in the 3-5 rep range for 6-7 weeks at a time & then go for some heavy singles every 8th week or so.

You're following what looks like some sort of bodybuilding pyramiding down programme, & while you will see some gains on it, in terms of strength & your DL max going up, it could/would go up more if you followed a strength training protocol instead of a bodybuilding one. (I'm not bashing BB programmes, I'm following one myself - but my goal isn't strength/one rep max focussed at the moment.

I'd also agree with other posters about form, very hard to achieve a good starting position with small plates, you should make sure the bar starts at mid shin level, ie, the height of a proper Olympic barbell with 2 x 20kg standard plates on it

Really sound advise. Appreciate it.

The workout is a BB programme. Do you reckon a 5x5 workout would be more beneficial? I've contemplated switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I've been working on my stretches a lot! It's not something I would have considered for deadlifts though. Had been stretching for other exercises. Before I couldn't touch my toes, now I can get my fingertips underneath them :)

Really sound advise. Appreciate it.

The workout is a BB programme. Do you reckon a 5x5 workout would be more beneficial? I've contemplated switching.

Again, really depends on your goals.

Personally, I never go higher than 5 reps in the Deadlift.
    If you did something like
    Week 1 - 5 x 5
    Week 2 - 4 x 4
    Week 3 - 5 x 3
    Getting a bit heavier each time
    Then repeat, using slightly heavier weight each time.

If you did bigger compound movements in the 3-5 rep range, some single leg & LOTS more pulling exercises (pull-ups, rows of all kinds) in the 6-12 rep range & did isolation work in the 10-15 rep range, I think it's be better.

Hanley wrote: »
    Injured shoulder you say? Not surprising with the structure above. Way too much pushing, not enough pulling!

The injured shoulder is from an accident years ago where I broke my collar bone and dislocated my shoulder.

Do you have any advice on how to arrange the structure above that would involve pulling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What was the name of that weight lifter who broke his arms doing a training clean and jerk and was told he would never do oly lifting but later recovered to lift more then he did when he was injured?

Youtube vid was posted here before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Check out sea of starz training log, it's called chaos and pain, the video is in second or third post. Sorry can't link, on phone at the moment.
    Awesome video by the way
    Link to thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056982761&goto=newpost&zxf=1372962269

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What's the general consensus on parallel squats versus ass to grass? I'm currently doing parallel squats followed by ass to grass front squats. I have no idea why, it just feels right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

What was the name of that weight lifter who broke his arms doing a training clean and jerk and was told he would never do oly lifting but later recovered to lift more then he did when he was injured?

Youtube vid was posted here before.

Zach Krych?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

What's the general consensus on parallel squats versus ass to grass? I'm currently doing parallel squats followed by ass to grass front squats. I have no idea why, it just feels right...

If your squatting high bar for olympic lifting then go ATG, if it's low bar for as much weight as you can lift then I think bellow parallel will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Is that 50kg or lbs? Is there much to be gained by this exercise, or is it just a display of strength?

Thanks for the links guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

discus wrote: »
    Is that 50kg or lbs? Is there much to be gained by this exercise, or is it just a display of strength?

Not sure on the weightlifting benefits but I've had few acrobatics coaches over the years who like this exercise for a body tension drill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Kg

I see... not that it takes from it if it was lbs! It's an incredible feat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Couple of questions i will put here instead of a thread...

Farmers walks with 30kg DB(gym max),where should i land these,with my core/ab work?

Renegade rows,same question?
    S/L Deadlift, can't do heavy leg work,squats etc..so was suggested i try these.so do i just do them as stand alone exercise?

Just trying to find some different exercises to do but lack of real knowledge and some physical limitations limitatons hold me back.

• Advertisement

Is it a day for vitamin D or what?!

I hate tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I hate tennis

I used to hate it but as I've gotten older I'm enjoying it more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I used to hate it but as I've gotten older I'm enjoying it more.

I really enjoyed it. Murray would have sacrificed SO much to get to that point that you can't help but get a little emotional when you understand what it means to him.

Hanley wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. Murray would have sacrificed SO much to get to that point that you can't help but get a little emotional when you understand what it means to him.

Thats what got me as I've gotten more into it. It was commented during the game, how much both players had sacrificed and how younger players had to. Even risking an education to go on the junior tour.

Im a big emotional fool at things like this. Just can't help myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Are MyProtein still doing their retarded delivery system where it goes:

UK -> Germany -> Athlone -> Customer Location after about 4 bloody weeks?

Ordered Thursday, arrived today. Great to see it back to normal since my last order in January!

I've a question about my gyms squat rack - it's hard to explain without a pic (tried google images) but I'll give it a go anyways.

Basically, to get the rack off the lip you need to lift it slightly and then roll the bar with your hand grip just a tiny bit to release a safety hook. I had been squatting at home with the weights I got ages ago - 36kg was all I had. Now, I'm moving up a fair bit. I went and stuck 40kg on just to get form right and warm up a little - the problem is, the 40kg felt like 80kg. Does anyone know why this is?

I went over to the other free standing one where the Olympic bar is. I stuck 40kg on that, 60kg in total, and could lift it without any hassle what so ever.

All my progress is jotted down but now I'm stumped as to what to put down for my barbell squats... :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Re-racked the bar badly today after the standing press and "snapped my shít up" as they say. Thought I was closer to the rack than I was and the left side slipped and caught on the lower hook.

Was just a twinge at the time but is fairly sore and stiff now. Hopefully I didn't do any major damage and it will be ok in a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I've a question about my gyms squat rack - it's hard to explain without a pic (tried google images) but I'll give it a go anyways.

Basically, to get the rack off the lip you need to lift it slightly and then roll the bar with your hand grip just a tiny bit to release a safety hook. I had been squatting at home with the weights I got ages ago - 36kg was all I had. Now, I'm moving up a fair bit. I went and stuck 40kg on just to get form right and warm up a little - the problem is, the 40kg felt like 80kg. Does anyone know why this is?

This sounds like a smith machine. Best avoided when doing barbell work. Stick with the barbell and a rack with safety bars for squats.

Also keep in mind when you do start doing barbell work consider the weight of the bar. 20kg for most olympic bars. I think on the smith machine after the pulleys etc are taken into account it's somewhere between 5kg and 10kg. Could be mistaken though.

O and it probably felt different because it's a horribly different movement forcing your body into an unnatural moving pattern.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This sounds like a smith machine. Best avoided when doing barbell work. Stick with the barbell and a rack with safety bars for squats.

Also keep in mind when you do start doing barbell work consider the weight of the bar. 20kg for most olympic bars. I think on the smith machine after the pulleys etc are taken into account it's somewhere between 5kg and 10kg. Could be mistaken though.

O and it probably felt different because it's a horribly different movement forcing your body into an unnatural moving pattern.

I mentioned at the end of the post about switching to the Olympic bar to test the weight. Just seemed like the resistance/tension was tough. Maybe I'm a big girls blouse :D

Guess I'll just stick to what's best and one that I know for sure what is being lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I mentioned at the end of the post about switching to the Olympic bar to test the weight. Just seemed like the resistance/tension was tough. Maybe I'm a big girls blouse :D

Guess I'll just stick to what's best and one that I know for sure what is being lifted.

Na I noticed the same thing when I had to use a smith machine in a hotel gym. Not a pleasant experience. Sticking to the free moving weights will be much better for you anyway. Get them stabiliser muscles working too.

So I failed at the end of my benching session today. That's right, someone had to lift 50kg off me. FML.

So I failed at the end of my benching session today. That's right, someone had to lift 50kg off me. FML.

Been there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Rob Riches fails drug test! Disqualified from comp.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155331353&page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

ferike1 wrote: »
    Rob Riches fails drug test! Disqualified from comp.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155331353&page=1

Is anyone surprised? He must have ****ed up his cycle or something to get caught. Feel a little sorry for him just because everyone else at that level is juiced.

Oisín

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

He's been saying for ages he's natural, he's a cock for lying. I've no problem with people taking ****, just don't take **** and pretend you're natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

LOL how do people think that these guys making a living off their physique are natural, so bizarre. What's even more bizarre is him trying to claim it was a false positive. 'Natural' bodybuilders are the worst, at least the top bodybuilders make it an open secret and laugh about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It's obvious to anyone with any kind of basic knowledge, but to young people or people starting out, fake naturals show something unobtainable to most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

You can read his statement on the results here: https://www.robriches.com/news/view/111#.UeE5yJwao1I

He tested positive for a stimulant, not an anabolic agent.
    He claims this stimulant was from a preworkout and was not declared on it's label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

The makers of the stimulant are distancing themselves from RR.

I dunno tbh. Whole thing is fishy.

I knew he liked me but didn't know it was that much:

I16LXlb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

What's the best and cheapest minimal type runner and where's a good place to buy?

I've been using the Vivo barefoot ones for about 8 months. I've worn them pretty much everyday and still going strong. You can get a 20% discount on their website if you use the code EmmetD20.

Disclaimer: I paid to do their training course and got free pair of them and the discount code for my clients/myself but I'm definitely getting a new pair the second the wear out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I was able to pick up a pair of the New Balance Minimus on Sportsdirect for a touch over €60 incl delivery a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

http://vimeo.com/70206403

Missed it twice before so decided to use his hands to help. I'm just not sure what to say after watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

JJayoo wrote: »
    WTF

Stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Wow, that guy fails at life.

Just back from hols, set of rings waiting for me at home can't wait for a crack of them. Getting ready to hit volume training with a bang too :)

Not wanting to start my own thread on this to clutter the home page but just wondering, for people starting out with deadlifts, what is an ideal weight to be lifting?

At the moment, I'm lifting 60kg (132lbs) and I weight 72.4kg @6 foot. My goal is to be lifting twice my bodyweight by Christmas.

Achievable?

So, after seeing someone in the gym sumo deadlift 140kg I'm pretty sure my goal is totally unrealistic in the next 18+ months :)

So, after seeing someone in the gym sumo deadlift 140kg I'm pretty sure my goal is totally unrealistic in the next 18+ months :)

Why?

• Advertisement

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Why?

The lad was built like the gym itself. His quads and calfs were bigger than any part of my body. His form was really impressive too.

Maybe if I posted a picture of myself you'd agree with me :pac:

Still going to try for it regardless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Go for it.

You never know. In a few years time people might be saying the same thing about you.

The lad was built like the gym itself. His quads and calfs were bigger than any part of my body. His form was really impressive too.

Maybe if I posted a picture of myself you'd agree with me :pac:

Im 87.5kg-90kg and can currently DL 190kg, nothing majorly impressive for my BW. However, I have seen a number of guys who to me, look much lighter, make **** of my max.

Don't worry about what other's are doing, nothing is impossible. Keep your form solid and work in a structured manner i.e. identify any weaknesses, train to eliminate those and don't spend every session "testing" your max. You will get there - believe - good luck :)

Just keep lifting. Dont test your max deadlift too often. It can be hard not to test yourself though. ;)

Your numbers will gradually climb. Before you know it you'll be above 100kg and well on your way to 2x BW

This is a long term thing

Thanks all :)

Guess I'm just rushing things in my head and not looking ahead at the longer run of it.

For now I'm really happy with how things are progressing though!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement