Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Sorry if I am a few days late but holy crap!

http://www.kvue.com/news/CrossFit-community-crowdfunds-170000-for-injured-competitor-240544901.html

Poor guy, so unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

ferike1 wrote: »

http://www.kvue.com/news/CrossFit-community-crowdfunds-170000-for-injured-competitor-240544901.html

What I learned from this, stack spare plates to the sides, not behind or in front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Orla K wrote: »
    There is an advantage using it short term but not long term(can't remember the time frame)

People are taking the fish oil every day so it's effectiveness in the long term doesn't matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

dylbert wrote: »
    So don't bother with fish oil? Get Omega 3 from natural sources?

Just don't take mad high doses. Moderation and all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ferike1 wrote: »

Poor bastard, how the jaysus did it happen performing a snatch though?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    Poor bastard, how the jaysus did it happen performing a snatch though?
    Looks like it bounced back in his direction off the spare plates as he fell backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpwoLq-1hY

Looks like it bounced back in his direction off the spare plates as he fell backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpwoLq-1hY

That's it alright. I didn't see that in the new video posted.

Nothing should be behind you on the floor doing any lift, silly mistake.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Was a silly mistake indeed but still what a freak accident!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Military Press is such a great exercise. Up to just over half bodyweight now. Did 4x8 @ 40kg yesterday morning.

Shoulders, triceps, abs, obliques, glutes.. Everything sore this morning. abs sore to the point where I couldn't do the ab circuit / farmers walks I had programmed for today :o

have plateaued at 40kg though. not sure whether to change up the rep range or swap to seated dumbell shoulder press for a few weeks?

conzy wrote: »
    Military Press is such a great exercise. Up to just over half bodyweight now. Did 4x8 @ 40kg yesterday morning.

Shoulders, triceps, abs, obliques, glutes.. Everything sore this morning. abs sore to the point where I couldn't do the ab circuit / farmers walks I had programmed for today :o

have plateaued at 40kg though. not sure whether to change up the rep range or swap to seated dumbell shoulder press for a few weeks?

Try some heavier, low rep work. 3x5, 8x3 or heavy singles.

Plenty of upper back work as well.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

This is an exercise I've come to like aswell. AS has been suggested perhaps try a different rep scheme. 5x5 perhaps and up the weight.
    Personally 5x5 has been working for me.
    I also like changing it up a little. My gym has a log and it has a neutral grip. I find this great for a change from a barbell.

Another option is to try a couple of push presses after failure at the end of the strict pressing.

Or what Brian? said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

My gym is finally getting new equipment!

More tv's ffs.....it's likely Harvey Norman in there already.

Sangre wrote: »
    My gym is finally getting new equipment!

More tv's ffs.....it's likely Harvey Norman in there already.

TVs in the gym is up there in my top 5 reasons for wanting to go on a murdering rampage.
    TVs everywhere, you can't move in pubs for the TVs, TVs in the toilets in some pubs or if not they pipe the depressing soccer drone in on speakers. TVs beside petrol pumps, TVs in small shops, TVs in bedrooms, TVs in kitchens.
    God forbid 5 minutes could go by without people being advertised to.
    But the gym has to be the worst..

No tv or Internet in my new gaff this past week. Been incredible.

Hanley wrote: »
    No tv or Internet in my new gaff this past week. Been incredible.

I went about 6 months without either when I moved about three years ago. I loved it. Had to get internet for work eventually. Still don't watch TV though.

I went about 6 months without either when I moved about three years ago. I loved it. Had to get internet for work eventually. Still don't watch TV though.

I'm the same. Need the net for work but have been grabbing an hour a day over coffee and so far it's been sustainable.

In other news - removing my emails off my phone was the best decision ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

This is interesting. It's about bone structure and squatting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Have not had tv for over 2 years. Get the odd twinge and think I'll get a UPC or whatever sub, but then it passes and evenings get longer and I'm glad I didn't bother.

Do watch an hour or so if I visit the folks every few weeks. It is definitely one of the most nonessential nonessentials.

• Advertisement

Have not had tv for over 2 years. Get the odd twinge and think I'll get a UPC or whatever sub, but then it passes and evenings get longer and I'm glad I didn't bother.

Do watch an hour or so if I visit the folks every few weeks. It is definitely one of the most nonessential nonessentials.

When you're away from it for a few months and then you're in a friends house for an evening, it's difficult to understand why anyone would throw away their evenings like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,617 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Orla K wrote: »
    This is interesting. It's about bone structure and squatting.

I seen that last week on FB. One issue I though of when reading it.
    He is looking at the femur "ball" and hip "socket" separately. When they are obvious a single structure. A difference in direction, length, size etc of the femur ball could be partial, or fully compensated for with a corresponding difference in the socket.

I'm not saying its always compensated for, I don't believe it is. I believe that skeletal structure plays a huge role. I'm just pointing out that by looking at them in isolation, there's a hole in his proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Nicest Bulkpowders Pure Whey flavour?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

link_2007 wrote: »
    Nicest Bulkpowders Pure Whey flavour?

Vanilla is nice, tastes like custard. Strawberry is ok too but im getting fed up of it. flavour is fairly artificial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Wendler's after copying my training almost exactly (with added silly jumps). I was there first Jim, I have the photos to prove it!

Except mine doesn't need €25 worth of supplements PER workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Its nuts Kev.

"Brain Candy" peri workout?
    Please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Its nuts Kev.

"Brain Candy" peri workout?
    Please

brian candy at all....ffs

this article annoyed me
    http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/fasting-sound-science-behavioral-bs

she uses extreme cases to prove her point which makes the article irrelevant imo

Her examples are clearly problem cases no matter what mantra you believe in.

I use IF and was really looking forward to an article saying how bad it was for you so I could balance my own thoughts and experiences against somebody elses conunter point. alas no...

brian candy at all....ffs

Mmmmm Brian candy.

they/them/theirs

Mmmmm Brian candy.

gah ! :o

Just googled Brain Candy. It's vitamins B6+12 with caffeine or without.

I'd say it'll keep you awake alright.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Mmmmm Brian candy.

John's brother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

feck the gym i'm going to stick a baloon in my stomack....what could go wrong there...
    http://news.sky.com/story/1198217/obesity-gastric-balloon-technology-launched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Walk into the gym today and what do I see but two blokes sitting on the one bench one with his phone out k nothing new there and then his mate sat beside him with a fcuking ipad out and messing on it, why in the hell would ya bring an ipad into the gym and sit there messing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Looking up their program?

Walk into the gym today and what do I see but two blokes sitting on the one bench one with his phone out k nothing new there and then his mate sat beside him with a fcuking ipad out and messing on it, why in the hell would ya bring an ipad into the gym and sit there messing on it.

He took the wrong tablet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Looking up their program?

I thought that at first maybe but nope don't know what it was but the two of them sat there for ages laughing and messing about showing each other stuff on the phone and ipads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Paid 5e for a pizza I had to cook myself. 12 chicken legs throw in some vege and spices/seasons already bought and it's ten times the meal. Stupid pizza, I'm still hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Well I'm off to Norway for 7 weeks for cold weather training. Guess I can say goodbye to my gains, and hello to my new ethiopan endurance runner body, complete with visable ribs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

discus wrote: »
    Well I'm off to Norway for 7 weeks for cold weather training. Guess I can say goodbye to my gains, and hello to my new ethiopan endurance runner body, complete with visable ribs!

What sport are you training for?

The gentlemans sport of soldiering
    hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Funny going back to the same gym that he made take down all his photos when he was running for governor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,617 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thud wrote: »
    feck the gym i'm going to stick a baloon in my stomack....what could go wrong there...
    http://news.sky.com/story/1198217/obesity-gastric-balloon-technology-launched

I heard about that on the radio today.
    TBH I think its a much better approach than current procedures like gastric banding and permanent stapling or removal.
    Less invasive, easier to reverse, body tissue isn't affected etc.
    It's not a solution for everyone's weight loss. It's an improved solution to current extreme surgery.

That said, this quote from the article is shocking.
    Helene Fleckney, from Shenley in Hertfordshire, has had two of the balloons inserted into her stomach during the product's trial.

She told Sky News: "Prior to having Obalon I weighed 11st 1lb and I'm now down to 9st 9lb, so that's 19lb lost.
    70kg/155lb people are not who this should be aimed at. So I suppose there a very real danger that the advantages I listed above will turn it into an out-patient for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Coaches eye, ipad app for videoing your lifts and playing them back in slow motion. Not saying that's what they are doing, but it's one explanation.
    The gentlemans sport of soldiering
    hqdefault.jpg

Ive done this. Not in norway tho. Skinny is not what you want to be, nor muscly actually. Youll want the love handles to keep you warm.

Mickk wrote: »
    Funny going back to the same gym that he made take down all his photos when he was running for governor...

Well, he did tell them "I'll be back"...

Ive done this. Not in norway tho. Skinny is not what you want to be, nor muscly actually. Youll want the love handles to keep you warm.

Yeah fair one, I've lost a ton of weight lately since I was sick... Currently scranning as many fry ups as I can handle! Mind if I ask, who did you do it with? NATO effort or EU BG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Yeah fair one, I've lost a ton of weight lately since I was sick... Currently scranning as many fry ups as I can handle! Mind if I ask, who did you do it with? NATO effort or EU BG?

If I tell you Id have to kill you.

Actually it was military school and sadistic ex military teachers. I was 12 or 13 I think, under a frozen lake in north wales middle of January.

i got in grief yesterday for being a **** spotter.

"you know even how to spot , **** you"

wasn't my fault his 120kg smith machine incline bench (yes he want a spot on the smith) had such small range of motion that calling them partial reps is inaccurate.

I genuinely didn't know what he was doing when a rep started or stopped.

anyway I wasn't in the humour for a row so I just smiled and said "don't worry about it mate" and slapped him on the shoulder as I went off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

wasn't my fault his 120kg smith machine incline bench (yes he want a spot on the smith) had such small range of motion that calling them partial reps is inaccurate.

anyway I wasn't in the humour for a row so I just smiled and said "don't worry about it mate" and slapped him on the shoulder as I went off.

You're supposed to half row it up for him while screaming 'it's all you mate, ALL YOU!!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement