Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

wasn't my fault his 120kg smith machine incline bench (yes he want a spot on the smith) had such small range of motion that calling them partial reps is inaccurate.

There were clips on the bar, weren't there!

An American guy asked me to spot him on the incline bench yesterday. He said he was going for 8 reps and he told me he'd tell me when to spot him. 2 half ROM reps in, he asks me to "spot the next 6 reps." That came as a little bit of a shock! Needless to say I wasn't available when he wanted someone to spot his 2nd and 3rd sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You're supposed to half row it up for him while screaming 'it's all you mate, ALL YOU!!".

so he was right , I did something wrong :(
    There were clips on the bar, weren't there!

that would have been funny but no.

There is a moral to this
    don't spot unless you want to - cos I didn't really want too and only said yeah cos I didn't want to be a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

If I tell you Id have to kill you.

Actually it was military school and sadistic ex military teachers. I was 12 or 13 I think, under a frozen lake in north wales middle of January.

Jesus, they do it to kids?! That's unreal. Although I probably would have been excited about it at the age of 12. Right now, it's not too appealing. Nothing worse than a sadistic exer. The worst part is, they are usually the empty vessels. I've been through a fair bit of arduous training with the forces and the harder the training, the more chilled the instructors are. The loudest, meanest mouthpieces are the REMFs who don't know how to act as actual military personnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

discus wrote: »
    Jesus, they do it to kids?! That's unreal. Although I probably would have been excited about it at the age of 12. Right now, it's not too appealing. Nothing worse than a sadistic exer. The worst part is, they are usually the empty vessels. I've been through a fair bit of arduous training with the forces and the harder the training, the more chilled the instructors are. The loudest, meanest mouthpieces are the REMFs who don't know how to act as actual military personnel.

Yeah, it was more fun than forced. if you didnt want to do it you didnt have to.

we had to swim under the ice tho, you're just jumping in.

We were close to the shore, so you could just stand up if it was too much for you.
    Pretty awesome thing to do tho. and the water is warmer than the air, so once you're in you don't really want to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

we had to swim under the ice tho, you're just jumping in.

Yeah but it's at the end of the novice artic survival course, I don't think anyone would fancy trying to swim full stop! Fair play for swimming under the ice, that's pretty decent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Just finished watching Cereal Killers, interesting stuff, I'll have to give this high fat thing a go soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

So, Tom Martin at the 2016 Olympics eh? Who reckons it'll happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Dathai wrote: »

As a weightlifter? There's no doubting he's massively strong but I don't know if his total in the classic lifts would be good enough.

Any idea what his numbers in the snatch and clean and jerk are at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

So.

Tonight I fell over while squatting :(

Was building up to my working set, stepped back and felt "something " was off. Thought fck it and started my set. Coming up out of the hole I started to fall forward ( in slow motion). Luckily I was able to dump the bar onto the safety bars and just land on my knees.

A serious lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

DylanJM wrote: »
    As a weightlifter? There's no doubting he's massively strong but I don't know if his total in the classic lifts would be good enough.

He's got a 175kg clean, 140kg powerclean, 140kg BTN and a 100kg snatch (iirc) according to his recent uploads. All at ~90kg to boot.

Edit: Just to add, I realise his numbers aren't Olympic standard (yet), but still - mirin' after only a year at it and some decent practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,618 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's got a 175kg clean, 140kg powerclean, 140kg BTN and a 100kg snatch (iirc) according to his recent uploads. All at ~90kg to boot.

Edit: Just to add, I realise his numbers aren't Olympic standard (yet), but still - mirin' after only a year at it and some decent practice.

He's trying to go to the IPF Worlds
    https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/bdIY1

Also, this is crazy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

DylanJM wrote: »

Strength to burn, but nah. Caleb Williams did sweet FA, and Shane Hamman just about made it.

Any strong dude can clean well but jerk/snatch are a different story.

Plus most competitive 94kg weightlifters are as strong (or stronger) than him, and have like a decade of trainng with the classic lifts under their belt.

Maybe 2020 if he keeps at it and stays inury free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

id argue a snickers was a better option than a twix. more protein

id argue a snickers was a better option than a twix. more protein

Clearly the healthier option. It used to be called Marathon, after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Not a hope. I always think it's such a shame when I see his weighlifting videos. Could have been one of the great deadlifters of all time.

Is he officially too injured for powerlifting or does he just prefer weighlifting?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I can't imagine top level weightlifting being particularly viable if you're too injured for powerlifting, offically no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I can't imagine top level weightlifting being particularly viable if you're too injured for powerlifting, offically no less.

I think every time he deadlifted his back broke down but he could front squat and clean away happily. I had an injury like that once, squat PRs but couldn't budge 50% of my deadlift max off the ground.

• Advertisement

Does creatine give any one else joint (specifically elbow) pain? I've tried it 3 times and each time after a few weeks my elbows become easily aggravated. Feels like tendinitis, basically. Any recommendations for relieving it (or tendinitis, which is probably is)? I'd go to a physio but I can't afford one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd be very surprised if it was the creatine, you need to see someone about your elbow who knows what they're looking at.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

gvn wrote: »
    Does creatine give any one else joint (specifically elbow) pain? I've tried it 3 times and each time after a few weeks my elbows become easily aggravated. Feels like tendinitis, basically. Any recommendations for relieving it (or tendinitis, which is probably is)? I'd go to a physio but I can't afford one.
    This is unlikely but have you been lifting heavier (even via placebo) during the few weeks?

Brian? wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if it was the creatine, you need to see someone about your elbow who knows what they're looking at.

It's just strange that it's started within 2-3 weeks each time I've tried to take it (which is 3 times at this stage). I've read anecdotes online from people who've experienced similar. I'll have to try to save up for a physio visit, I guess.
    This is unlikely but have you been lifting heavier (even via placebo) during the few weeks?

Nope, not at all. Funnily enough, squats seem to aggravate it the most.

It's just strange that it's started within 2-3 weeks each time I've tried to take it (which is 3 times at this stage). I've read anecdotes online from people who've experienced similar. I'll have to try to save up for a physio visit, I guess.

So you're getting elbow pain when you squat?

Widen your hands on the bar.

I dont think it will be creatine causing this. Especially after 2-3 weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'll preface this with: go to a physio.

There is every chance you are torquing the **** out for elbows squatting because your shoulder mobility is poor.

I'll postface that with: go to a physio to assess and fix any possible mobility issues,

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

So you're getting elbow pain when you squat?

Widen your hands on the bar.

I dont think it will be creatine causing this. Especially after 2-3 weeks.

Doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Brian? wrote: »
    I'll preface this with: go to a physio.

There is every chance you are torquing the **** out for elbows squatting because your shoulder mobility is poor.

I'll postface that with: go to a physio to assess and fix any possible mobility issues,

So I should go see a physio? :p

I've thought as much before (I even posted the exact same line of thought in my log at one stage). Benching seems to aggravate it too so because of that I believe the root isn't in my tight shoulders (though they obviously don't help the situation).

Anyway, I'll just go see a physio...

I've had it happen to me like this a lot too. One thing I found worked was ditching wrist wraps (they allowed me to load my elbows without keeping certain things contracted - bad for the tendinitis) and making sure I never let up on my clenched grip/foream throughout every set.

Heavy squats would kick start the tendinitis and benching after that would aggravate it. The root could probably be your squat. Or a million other things I guess. Creatine sounds like a weird one though, wouldn't have thought it's that.

I've had it happen to me like this a lot too. One thing I found worked was ditching wrist wraps (they allowed me to load my elbows without keeping certain things contracted - bad for the tendinitis) and making sure I never let up on my clenched grip/foream throughout every set.

Heavy squats would kick start the tendinitis and benching after that would aggravate it. The root could probably be your squat. Or a million other things I guess. Creatine sounds like a weird one though, wouldn't have thought it's that.

I think that's probably exactly it: squats aggravate it, benching in the succeeding days makes it worse. I tend to squat lo-bar (or what I think is low bar) and so don't actually grab the bar with my hands, instead it presses into the lower part of my palm/wrist. Might try messing with my grip a little bit.

If you search for something like "creatine elbow pain" on Google you'll see tonnes of results with people who arrived at the same conclusion as I did. It's just anecdotal, granted, but maybe there's something to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I think that's probably exactly it: squats aggravate it, benching in the succeeding days makes it worse. I tend to squat lo-bar (or what I think is low bar) and so don't actually grab the bar with my hands, instead it presses into the lower part of my palm/wrist. Might try messing with my grip a little bit.

If you search for something like "creatine elbow pain" on Google you'll see tonnes of results with people who arrived at the same conclusion as I did. It's just anecdotal, granted, but maybe there's something to it...

If you search for creatine and a painful anus you get 226k results :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,618 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Low bar squats irritate elbow
    Benching irritates elbow
    Shoulders are tight, mobility issue
    Creatine.

Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Just flicking through a Argos book earlier had a gawk at the fitness section. They have a product called the " foam toning roller ". From the look of it it's just a really cheap roller. Ridiculous!

Mellor wrote: »
    Low bar squats irritate elbow
    Benching irritates elbow
    Shoulders are tight, mobility issue
    Creatine.

Hmmm...

Creatine seems to be the cue, though. I can go months with no issues. Take creatine, then 2-3 weeks later, like clockwork, the pain comes. I stop taking it and the pain abates. To my eye there seems to be a correlation there. Perhaps it doesn't cause it and it's entirely coincidental, but a quick search threw up plenty of others who've experienced similar, which just reaffirmed what I was already thinking. I'll stop blaming the creatine and sort whatever dysfunction I have in my shoulders out and see if that's the cure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Creatine seems to be the cue, though. I can go months with no issues. Take creatine, then 2-3 weeks later, like clockwork, the pain comes. I stop taking it and the pain abates. To my eye there seems to be a correlation there. Perhaps it doesn't cause it and it's entirely coincidental, but a quick search threw up plenty of others who've experienced similar, which just reaffirmed what I was already thinking. I'll stop blaming the creatine and sort whatever dysfunction I have in my shoulders out and see if that's the cure.

Correlation doesnt mean causation and all that
    http://www.stanford.edu/class/hrp259/2007/regression/storke.pdf

Maybe you taking creatine occurs at the same time as you increase your training which aggravates your shoulder

Might even be a placebo effect of the creatine leading to you lifting a bit more than you normally do.

Either way, creatine isn't the cause

cc87 wrote: »
    Correlation doesnt mean causation and all that
    http://www.stanford.edu/class/hrp259/2007/regression/storke.pdf

Yep. Which is why right after implying a correlation I said "perhaps it doesn't cause it."
    Maybe you taking creatine occurs at the same time as you increase your training which aggravates your shoulder

Might even be a placebo effect of the creatine leading to you lifting a bit more than you normally do.

Either way, creatine isn't the cause

Perhaps. The likely explanation is tightness in shoulders = torque on elbow when squatting, which is further aggravated by pressing in successive days = tendinitis in elbow(s). It's just funny that it only seems to happen 2-3 weeks into taking creatine, and never seems to happen when not taking it, regardless of whether strength has increased. I'll stick it out for a few months and work on mobility and see if there's any improvement. Thanks for the replies, folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I know I shouldn't be looking at tabloids but I had a gander and I was disturbed by how easy it was for olympic gymnast Louis Smith to lose muscle and to become fat and bloated. It's disturbing how something that is so hard earned melts away so quickly. (he's back in shape now but..)

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't be looking at tabloids but I had a gander and I was disturbed by how easy it was for olympic gymnast Louis Smith to lose muscle and to become fat and bloated. It's disturbing how something that is so hard earned melts away so quickly. (he's back in shape now but..)

He went from training all day every day to not training and eating and drinking whatever he wanted. It's no surprise he's changed. It happens if you go from one extreme to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Ricky Hatton was infamous for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Tried 'vita coca' really really unpalatable. If that is what coconut water actually tastes like if I get stuck on a desert island I'm fooked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

If anyone feels like critiquing my squats, feel free to rip into this one.

• Advertisement

Tried 'vita coca' really really unpalatable. If that is what coconut water actually tastes like if I get stuck on a desert island I'm fooked.

The first time I tried it was when they handed them out at the finish line of the Dublin City Triathlon a few months back. One mouthful was more than enough. Suffice to say it'll be the last time I try it.

Fortunately, there were also handing out ice cream cones at the finish line so I could cleanse my palate... :)

It's just water, not a milk or a liquid bounty bar. Most people probably expect something close to the processed sugary coconut tastes they've had all their life (I'm sure I did too). I think coconut water is pretty nice, as far as water goes.

It's just water, not a milk or a liquid bounty bar. Most people probably expect something close to the processed sugary coconut tastes they've had all their life (I'm sure I did too). I think coconut water is pretty nice, as far as water goes.

That, I would buy.

I'd love a bounty now
    :pac:

I can't be "sure" about this but I'm now strongly suspecting that switching to lower carb and high fat intake has FINALLY made the pain in my knees (felt when squatting or keeping knees flexed, even a little, for too long) disappear almost totally. Less morning joint stiffness in my back etc too. Basically just made me less of an old man, etc

It's either that or one or both of two other things (or all three for all I know); going back to doing some running, having done a few sessions of tacking/flossing around my patellas - the latter didn't seem to be doing anything magic until the diet though. APart form those everything else has stayed constant.

in b4 "you ate a healthier diet and saw a positive response from your body? well duh"

Good news anyway. Squats might go back to being my favourite.

Maybe this thing supports the idea a bit too, worth a read either way:
    http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/treatments/complementary/anti-inflammatory-diet-pain-patients

Horizon BBC2 on wednesday @ 9pm
    Sugar v Fat

DURATION: 1 HOUR
    What's worse for us: sugar or fat?

To answer the hottest question in nutrition, twin doctors Chris and Xand Van Tulleken go on month long high-fat and high-sugar diets. The effects on their bodies are shocking and surprising.

But they also discover that in the debate about fat and sugar, the real enemy might have been hiding in plain sight

Could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Horizon BBC2 on wednesday @ 9pm

Could be interesting.

Could be highly irritating too.

Yeah, you're right. Still going to give it a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Anyone else trying the 30/30 squat challenge? Accumulat 30 min in an atg squat each day for 30 days, it ain't easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'd love a bounty now
    :pac:

1.50 for 4 bounties in tesco at the moment. Supposed to be off the chocolate but I convinced myself they are health food and left the shop with 8 :pac: -actually they probably are better for you than most of those "health bars" you see. I think they are one of the few mainstream bars that have not been reduced in size lately.

I have been making pancakes with tesco own brand readybrek, cocoa, milk, plain whey powder & coconut flour. I don't bother liquidizing them. I now do them in a philips airfryer on some baking paper.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement