Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

rubadub wrote: »
    . I now do them in a philips airfryer on some baking paper.

Interesting. I have one of these airfryer things might give that ago. They make amazing sweet potato chips

I'm still working through the giant oat flour bag I got free from mp, use it when I want pancakes

thanks rubadub :) must also try the homemade bounty bars thing. And stenchys brownies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

dylbert wrote: »
    Anyone else trying the 30/30 squat challenge? Accumulat 30 min in an atg squat each day for 30 days, it ain't easy.

I just saw Hanley post about it on FB through the RevFit page. Seems like a good idea and would really point out flaws in mobility.

I guess by the end you should be able to be there for ages comfortably because you've done something about your crappy mobility:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JJayoo wrote: »
    They make amazing sweet potato chips
    +1, I am off regular potatoes and eating sweet potatoes now instead. The supermarkets seem to have more of them these days, at more reasonable prices than I remember years ago when they treated them like some sort of exotic food.

I cut mine into cubes for the fryer. I first put them in for 5 mins with no oil on them, then toss in oil, it dries the surface more and the oil seems to stick better. Then about 15 mins more, I throw in a load of sliced onions on top of them for the last 5mins.

The baking paper I use is one with silicone on it so its non stick. Since the airfryer does not go past 200C it doesn't burn up at all, so you get a few goes of it. I put the fryer basket on the baking paper and run around the outline with a pencil, and then cutout about 1cm from that line so it rides up the side of the basket.

I love it since its so like a microwave, turn it on for 10mins and walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Anyone else trying the 30/30 squat challenge? Accumulat 30 min in an atg squat each day for 30 days, it ain't easy.
    Am I missing something here? Is the ATG position not a rest position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

brownej wrote: »

Try getting up out of it with weight on you after a few minutes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

brownej wrote: »

It is a rest position but most of our body's are so used to standing and sitting in chairs that we've lost the mobility to just sit in ATG for long periods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I just saw Hanley post about it on FB through the RevFit page. Seems like a good idea and would really point out flaws in mobility.

I guess by the end you should be able to be there for ages comfortably because you've done something about your crappy mobility:pac:

I posted giving out about it. That 30 minutes would be better spent doing targetted mobility work. You could make some HUGE changes in 30 days wit that.

Hanley wrote: »
    I posted giving out about it. That 30 minutes would be better spent doing targetted mobility work. You could make some HUGE changes in 30 days wit that.

I totally agree but if people do insist on it then it would show up to them where they had issues, wouldn't it?

• Advertisement

I totally agree but if people do insist on it then it would show up to them where they had issues, wouldn't it?

It would just show they can't sit in the bottom of a squat. And most people wouldn't look any further.

I just started a new 5/3/1 cycle after trying Madcow for a while. Doing BBB with the alt exercises as assistance. 5x10 deadlifts is murder. **** you Jim Wendler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I just started a new 5/3/1 cycle after trying Madcow for a while. Doing BBB with the alt exercises as assistance. 5x10 deadlifts is murder. **** you Jim Wendler.

How long did you do Madcow for and how'd you find it?

How long did you do Madcow for and how'd you find it?

Should have done it before my first 5/3/1 cycle. Doing heavy bench and squats on the same day was a killer.

It would just show they can't sit in the bottom of a squat. And most people wouldn't look any further.

That's very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The BBB protocol is grand but I wouldn't do it for Deadlift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,618 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you have ok-ish mobility, then 30 mins is probably easy enough to accumulate.
    If you are messed up mobility wise, and you can't get into the position - you'll end up with a scaldy looking, collasped knee, round back squat position that is prob doing more to irritate than improve.

But could it be used to increase mobility, I know I have issues with my right ankle so I'm going to use the 30/30 challenge to get used to being in a better position, feet not turned out so much, knees pushed out more, , right ankle not collapsing, better hip external rotation. Starrett says that one of the best things for ankle mobility is to practice this position.

But could it be used to increase mobility, I know I have issues with my right ankle so I'm going to use the 30/30 challenge to get used to being in a better position, feet not turned out so much, knees pushed out more, , right ankle not collapsing, better hip external rotation. Starrett says that one of the best things for ankle mobility is to practice this position.
    I think Hanleys point (obv open to correction) is not that it's a total useless position. But rather that it can only help so much in a short space if time. And if you are going to spend 15 hours in a month on mobility, there are far better ways to spend it.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think Hanleys point (obv open to correction) is not that it's a total useless position. But rather that it can only help so much in a short space if time. And if you are going to spend 15 hours in a month on mobility, there are far better ways to spend it.

Ding ding ding ding ding. Winner.

But sitting at the bottom of a squat is easy, requires no thought and has a cult like feel to it now cos Ido and everyone else is doing it.

So rock on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Ding ding ding ding ding. Winner.

But sitting at the bottom of a squat is easy, requires no thought and has a cult like feel to it now cos Ido and everyone else is doing it.

So rock on.

So what do you recommend for ankle mobility?, at the moment I'm foam rolling calves, doing wall stretches and using a band to do the drill in this video.

So what do you recommend for ankle mobility?, at the moment I'm foam rolling calves, doing wall stretches and using a band to do the drill in this video.

Yah. Spend the 30 minutes doing that instead for 2 weeks. Watch what happens.

Then sort your hips out for 2 weeks.

And take a golf ball to the sole of your foot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

And take a golf ball to the sole of your foot too.

this is easily the worst part of my day

Been doing it with a tennis ball, jaysus the pain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm afraid to do the soles of my feet but I use a cricket ball on my chest/front delts

Every time I foam roll my 2 year old daughter asks for a go, then spends half an hour playing with the roller before saying that we're finished and putting it under the stairs. Wrecking my head at this point ;)

Have I ever said how jealous I am of her mobility? Because I am

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

In relation to the comments re ankle mobility I would say that you will come to a point after a crapton of mobility work that there probably will be some inherent tightness in the ankle/calf regions that will require some dedicated stretching to resolve.
    I would see mobility work as a tool to expressing your current best expressionable ROM, whereas stretching is the tool required to actually increase this ROM.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Been doing it with a tennis ball, jaysus the pain

Man up, get smaller balls.

I'm afraid to do the soles of my feet but I use a cricket ball on my chest/front delts
    do your feet, it was hands down the most instant result I ever got.

Golf balls or squash ball are 100% necessary, not tennis balls. This is because they are smaller and you need to really flex the tiny components of your foot around them.

Never tried a squash ball, but have a rubber ball a little bigger than a golf ball and it works as a "stepping stone" to the golf ball. I do a minute or so with the rubber one before the golf ball to kind of ease into it. But Christ its still painful.

and as always, go real slow. If you think you're going slow then go slower.

also, no shame in crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Then sort your hips out for 2 weeks.

Any particular drills you recommend for hip mobility

• Advertisement

My girlfriends two year old brother always puts me to shame with his mobility. I told them when he gets to an appropriate age he's going to be a squatting legend:pac:

do your feet, it was hands down the most instant result I ever got.

Golf balls or squash ball are 100% necessary, not tennis balls. This is because they are smaller and you need to really flex the tiny components of your foot around them.

Never tried a squash ball, but have a rubber ball a little bigger than a golf ball and it works as a "stepping stone" to the golf ball. I do a minute or so with the rubber one before the golf ball to kind of ease into it. But Christ its still painful.

and as always, go real slow. If you think you're going slow then go slower.

also, no shame in crying.

Your not exactly selling the idea to me :-o

have to make sure that kids keep up the mobility.

Everyone is born with the ability to squat A2G and get their feet behind their head, and tie themselves in all sorts of knots.

but at a certain point in our lives we stop doing those things and we begin to stiffen.

Getting kids into a regular routine of mobility early on and ensure they never lose that function is a wise decision.

I have a cousin who has some problems. Learning difficulties have meant that he hasn't developed much mentally since he was 5/6.
    His body has tho, and indulgent parents means he is hugely overweight.

31 years old. Standing at over 6 foot 3 and weighing around 22+ stone he is a big fella.

But due to his mental development he has the flexibility of a 4 year old kid, as he has spent his whole life sitting on the living room floor cross legged playing and watching tv.

Not many people his age, and id be willing to bet that none of his build are able to go from sitting cross legged on the ground to standing and back again with almost no effort. I cant even get cross legged and i'm 8 stone lighter than him.

If you want to be jealous of his mobility then feel free, cos it is awe inspiring to see a man of that bulk with next to no issues in his flexibility.

Its all down to practice, the moment you stop sitting on the floor like a child, rolling about and being generally mobile is when it all goes down hill.

I think for most people that's between ages 5-10

I was only taught it for the first time last week and told to use a tennis ball! Maybe she was being nice cos I'm a noob :pac:

Your not exactly selling the idea to me :-o

ok, fair point. here's the sell.

Excruciating pain for about 5 minutes.

instant inches in ROM on ankles calves and hamstrings. I can barely touch my ankles before and almost get my palms flat on the floor immediately after. My ankles can noticeably flex up, sideways and down by inches.

Also prolonged relief of ankle pain and knee pain.

Even the actual pain of rolling the foot becomes relief after a short while.

When I man up enough to actually get the golf ball under my foot I instantly see benefits. It just takes me a while to get brave enough.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was only taught it for the first time last week and told to use a tennis ball! Maybe she was being nice cos I'm a noob :pac:

go to dealz or a pet shop they sell cheap rubber balls between the size of a golf ball and a tennis ball. work perfectly. and a little more gently than a golf ball.

When I man up enough to actually get the golf ball under my foot I instantly see benefits. It just takes me a while to get brave enough.

My posture changes and straightens up when I do it on the left foot
    go to dealz or a pet shop they sell cheap rubber balls between the size of a golf ball and a tennis ball. work perfectly. and a little more gently than a golf ball.

I will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Every time I foam roll my 2 year old daughter asks for a go, then spends half an hour playing with the roller before saying that we're finished and putting it under the stairs. Wrecking my head at this point ;)

I can't foam roll until the kids go to bed, they see it as an invitation to climb all over me:)

have to make sure that kids keep up the mobility.

Everyone is born with the ability to squat A2G and get their feet behind their head, and tie themselves in all sorts of knots.

but at a certain point in our lives we stop doing those things and we begin to stiffen.
    Obviously sports and/or mobility work from an early age will help maintain mobility/flexibility insofar as possible. But a decent chunk of the flexibility loss come simply come from normal growth.

As we age, bones fuse together, grow closer together etc. less space between bones = less rom.
    But due to his mental development he has the flexibility of a 4 year old kid, as he has spent his whole life sitting on the living room floor cross legged playing and watching tv.
    I remember reading recently that Down's syndrome often co-incides with hyperflexibility. I think that it's mostly unrelated to what you are describing above.

• Advertisement

Also re:rolling feet with balls.
    I've done it occasion with a large baseball. Never really found a massive benefit.
    This is either because;
    Its not a small enough ball, or
    My ankle mobility is already pretty good (hips on the other hand)

Possibly both, might give the golf balls a go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Sex and leg day. The only two times when being crippled for two days after can be deemed a success. :P

dor843088 wrote: »
    Sex and leg day. The only two times when being crippled for two days after can be deemed a success. :P

How big was he?!

Mellor wrote: »
    Obviously sports and/or mobility work from an early age will help maintain mobility/flexibility insofar as possible. But a decent chunk of the flexibility loss come simply come from normal growth.

As we age, bones fuse together, grow closer together etc. less space between bones = less rom.

I remember reading recently that Down's syndrome often co-incides with hyperflexibility. I think that it's mostly unrelated to what you are describing above.

completely, he's not down syndrome. Hes just a big guy who never stopped playing on the floor. Crouching, squatting, and sitting cross legged.

His disability is caused from something else. Ive never asked, but his brother is 3 years older, a milder case of the same condition but has no learning issues anymore, isnt quite the same size but has none of the flexibility

I wouldn't also quantify loss of mobility through growth as a decent chunk. To me that sounds like a lot.

Babies and young children have different ROM because of undeveloped bodies, like babies can get both legs behind their head without bending, but this is not normal ROM anyway. In the same way they cannot get their hand onto the opposite shoulder by going over their head. Because their limbs are different proportions, but by an early age the body is proportioned correctly and can still move in ways we lose as we age. But it is lost not through age but inactivity, you can retain the majority of normal ROM through use.

we lose it because we become more sedentary. sitting on the sofa, and at school. By the time most people are 8/9 they have stopped being on the floor so much and graduate to the sofa for tv time. Only the youngest kids in the family gets that status. then they are at school longer and expected to sit in class. at this stage it is only the ones who choose the right kind of activity who remain flexible, everyone else begins to degrade.

My cousin is just a good example of what happens if you dont follow that pattern, most people assume that as they get bigger they become more incapable of mobility.
    But as the youngest in our family he never graduated to the sofa. and since he never developed in a way that gave him the thought that only kids sit on the floor he never stopped. It doesn't bother him to sit on the floor at his own house, or when visiting.

even when he is on the sofa he automatically gives up his seat when an "adult" comes into the room. Something that no-one else does. Even when a grown man does give up his seat for a guest or an elderly/infirm person they usually prefer to stand. Daniel just flops onto the floor no problems. 10 seconds later he's up on his feet again.

he can do that thing we used to do as kids go from standing to sitting cross legged without moving his feet or touching the floor with your hands. Just crosses his ankle and down, and back up the same way. no flailing for balance.
    Even when I was of that age that was tricky for me, i could do it, but id be wobbly. at his size its an impressive trick.

How big was he?!

So big it was crooked . It was like he was comin at me with an EZ bar.

You have a "sex and leg day", I'd say you get strange looks in the gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Squatting up and down on something counts as a leg workout.

Every day is sex day brah !

Every day is sex day brah !

Leave the EZ bar alone, people have to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Leave the EZ bar alone, people have to use them.
    One less person looking to use it, here.

Since the homosexuality is strong today on boards heres a joke that shoukd be right up your "alley".
    What did one gay sperm say to the other ?
    How the phuk do you find an egg amongst all this sh1t !! :confused: anybody? :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement