Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I saw sex on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

dor843088 wrote: »
    Since the homosexuality is strong today on boards heres a joke that shoukd be right up your "alley".
    What did one gay sperm say to the other ?
    How the phuk do you find an egg amongst all this sh1t !! :confused: anybody? :confused:

*crickets*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Since the homosexuality is strong today on boards heres a joke that shoukd be right up your "alley".
    What did one gay sperm say to the other ?
    How the phuk do you find an egg amongst all this sh1t !! :confused: anybody? :confused:

ooohhh.... I think you probably took it slightly too far....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

brownej wrote: »
    ooohhh.... I think you probably took it slightly too far....

Not for the first time today, it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

6417.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

6417.png

I thought it was going well. :(

I thought it was going well. :(

I tend to have a bit of a sense of humour failure with the auld gay jokes and innuendo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

brownej wrote: »
    I tend to have a bit of a sense of humour failure with the auld gay jokes and innuendo.
    I wonder why brownbj...

Sex and leg day. The only two times when being crippled for two days after can be deemed a success. :P
    I was going to say I'm crippled today too and hobbling like an aul wan, but that might be dangerous now:pac:

Sangre wrote: »
    I wonder why brownbj...
    Probably something to do with me being an overly sensitive gay.
    Seeing homosexuality referred to as being something negative gets pretty old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I think a change in subject is in order.

Zinc & magnesium tablets area meant to be taken on an empty stomach from 30 minutes to an hour before bed. This just isn't feasible for me. Will this have much of an effect on uptake or is only an issue if the meal has a decent amount of calcium?

Blacktie. wrote: »

Zinc & magnesium tablets area meant to be taken on an empty stomach from 30 minutes to an hour before bed. This just isn't feasible for me. Will this have much of an effect on uptake or is only an issue if the meal has a decent amount of calcium?

Of course taking something on an empty stomach vs a full stomach is going to affect its absorption. I thought this would have been common sense.

Blacktie. wrote: »

If you are eating too close to when you go to bed, then you could always try taking it a half hour or so before you eat the last meal at night. If you pretty much have to have it with food, then the food shouldn't have too much in the way of calcium, phosphorous or phytic acid (it's found in nuts, seeds and grains). So that rules out whey, nuts and wheat. You could get your protein from eggs instead of whey though.

An empty stomach is obviously best but you won't lose out too much if you're careful.

Of course taking something on an empty stomach vs a full stomach is going to affect its absorption. I thought this would have been common sense.

That wasn't the question. Blacktie is more concerned about the level of reduction in absorption.

If you are eating too close to when you go to bed, then you could always try taking it a half hour or so before you eat the last meal at night. If you pretty much have to have it with food, then the food shouldn't have too much in the way of calcium, phosphorous or phytic acid (it's found in nuts, seeds and grains). So that rules out whey, nuts and wheat. You could get your protein from eggs instead of whey though.

An empty stomach is obviously best but you won't lose out too much if you're careful.
    Half an hour before my last meal could work. Though that would most likely be in the middle of my workout or at best toward the end of it.

I guess that rules out a few foods for dinner before bed. I can work around this with other options I'm sure. Thanks for the advice.

That wasn't the question. Blacktie is more concerned about the level of reduction in absorption.

Fact is if you want the sleepy benefits of zm take on an empty stomach ,if you just want more zm in your diet why take it at night at all? So a full stomach reduces the benefits considerably no matter what food you eat or dont eat.

Fact is if you want the sleepy benefits of zm take on an empty stomach ,if you just want more zm in your diet why take it at night at all? So a full stomach reduces the benefits considerably no matter what food you eat or dont eat.

There are ways to mitigate how much the absorption is reduced.

And Blacktie didn't say it'd be taken on a full stomach. Just that it wouldn't be empty.

There are ways to mitigate how much the absorption is reduced.

And Blacktie didn't say it'd be taken on a full stomach. Just that it wouldn't be empty.

Few pints on an empty stomach . Locked. Few pints after something to eat . affect considerably reduced . Fat burner on an empty stomach . Buzzed like a junkie . Fat burner with food. Affect considerably reduced. Its the same concept. I hear what your saying about certain foods but theres a reason they advise empty stomach on the pack .

Few pints on an empty stomach . Locked. Few pints after something to eat . affect considerably reduced . Fat burner on an empty stomach . Buzzed like a junkie . Fat burner with food. Affect considerably reduced. Its the same concept. I hear what your saying about certain foods but theres a reason they advise empty stomach on the pack .

You're pointing out the differences between taking the supplements on an empty stomach and on a full stomach. Your stomach isn't always either full or empty. Look up the Scrodingers Stomach experiment.

If Blacktie's stomach isn't going to be empty at night then there are ways to maximise the absorption.

• Advertisement

You're pointing out the differences between taking the supplements on an empty stomach and on a full stomach. Your stomach isn't always either full or empty. Look up the Scrodingers Stomach experiment.

If Blacktie's stomach isn't going to be empty at night then there are ways to maximise the absorption.

Its the rate of absorption im getting at not how much is ultimately absorbed and that has a huge affect on the benefits in which we are after. That was the point I was making.

Its the rate of absorption im getting at not how much is ultimately absorbed and that has a huge affect on the benefits in which we are after. That was the point I was making.

There's more to zinc and magnesium than sleeping better.

This is actually a very valid point. I'm not taking it to sleep better as my sleep is alright as it is. In that case I should just take them during the day sometime when I'm away from eating?

I am aware of that of course but thats why we take it before bed . And to be honest that is the main reason I think most take it.

I am aware of that of course but thats why we take it before bed . And to be honest that is the main reason I think most take it.

But not Blacktie.

Apology accepted.

*hugs*

But not Blacktie.

Apology accepted.

*hugs*

I made the point of not taking it before bed if he doesnt want to 10 posts ago .

• Advertisement

I made the point of not taking it before bed if he doesnt want to 10 posts ago .

I already told you, apology accepted :)

I already told you, apology accepted :)

I was so quick you missed it. Your right sorry about that. Bruce Lee once asked me to slow down..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I was so quick you missed it. Your right sorry about that. Bruce Lee once asked me to slow down..

was that on sex and legs day?

was that on sex and legs day?

Yes but id prefer if you stopped calling it that. Since everyday is sex day it is a given that I will be trying to make gains in the sex department. Although I do have my girlfriend on an upper lower split in that regard . Get it? With the upper and the lower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Yes but id prefer if you stopped calling it that. Since everyday is sex day it is a given that I will be trying to make gains in the sex department. Although I do have my girlfriend on an upper lower split in that regard . Get it? With the upper and the lower?

tbh most people in the gym are on that split.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

This Brandon Lilly stuff on facebook is pure gold.

I think I compete in the dumbest sport in the world. These people are absolutely hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    This Brandon Lilly stuff on facebook is pure gold.

I think I compete in the dumbest sport in the world. These people are absolutely hilarious.

link me up!

Hanley wrote: »
    link me up!

Some was deleted but I'll try dig it up. In summary:

Lilly kills knees
    Insurance refuses to pay
    Juggernaut sets up donation page
    Dan Greens wife (who's called Sparkle no less) posts on facebook saying its disgraceful.
    Massive butthurting takes place where she and Dan insinuate they dislike Lilly.
    People lose their ****.
    Paul "the delai lama" Carter posts that everyone needs to be as calm and mature as he is and not lose their ****.
    Someone posts email from unnamed lifter to Animal saying Lilly and Paul Carter were acting the geebag at an event for kids with cancer.
    Paul Carter loses his ****.
    Brandon Lilly posts from hospital bed that its all good.
    Email also insinuates Lilly beat and cheated on his wife and got kicked out of Westside for stealing equipment.

Its so perfect I'm moist with excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭COH

I read alot of it earlier... I think the internet peaked when Lilly said he wasn't here to talk about if the theft and spousal abuse rumours were true. Lol! Good man Thefty McPuncherson you tell em!

On a side note I can't stand Paul Carter.

I remember him saying he hadn't seen his kid in 5 years cos he had to move away in order to add 20lbs to his bench. I had to negotiate for 3 months to get a monthly membership in Flyefit. That's the difference. That and the beatings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I just love that the Sparkle/Lilly bull**** blew up a few days after that big kerfuffle about lats and benching... I can't wait for what's next.

"BREAKING NEWS: SPF LIFTER SQUATS TO DEPTH IN COMPETITION. MORE AT 11."

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

F*cking Internet lifters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,618 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So for the last two weeks (well almost tomorrow is last day this week) I've been training 4x/week at 6am. This will continue for another 10 weeks, and maybe beyond. To make my diet equally consistent I've started prepping lunch for days when I've nothing ready, or no leftovers.

Last night I made 4 batches of Beef curry.
    Didn't take long. Mostly auto-pilot, fry beef, simmer sauce and rice.

Works out at $3.60 a meal. Could of gotten that down if I didn't use steak, and went to a cheaper source for my meat.

Protein 49
    Carbs 38
    Fat 19
    Cals 520
    Cost $3.60

291419.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'll try a curry like that today. What's a decent sauce to use? I'd have thought they'd generally be high in sugar or something.

Stick a load of spices in some water and reduce it in the pan, job done
    turmeric, ginger, cardamom, cumin, bit of onion, garlic, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone see that Horizons documentary on Sugar V Fat on BBC last night?

It was very interesting, 2 genetically identical brothers (both doctors) went strict high sugar diet for one and strict high fat diet for the other.

It was quite detailed, but some of the points that stand out :

High Sugar doctor lost 1 Kg over 4 weeks, 50% of this muscle
    High Fat doctor lost 4 Kg over 4 weeks, 62.5% of this muscle

High sugar doctor's body after 4 weeks became better at reacting to sugar coming into body, his insulin appeared quite healthy.
    High fat doctor's body after 4 weeks reacted very poorly to sugar entering the body, insulin levels were crazy and appeared to be close to diabetic levels.

High fat doctor performed better over long duration exercise on a stationary bike, his blood sugar levels were much more stable than the high sugar doctor, both were then given about 100 calories of butter or Glucose and sprinted up a hill climb on the bike, the high sugar doctor pulled away easily here after a few minutes. Both had increased blood sugar levels after the sprint even thou the high fat doctor had not consumed any sugar, he appear to be metabolizing muscle.

I know it's done over a very small test case, none the less, it was interesting.

There was a lot more interesting points that I cant recall, worth a watch if you can find it online.

It was very interesting, 2 genetically identical brothers (both doctors) went strict high sugar diet for one and strict high fat diet for the other.

High sugar doctor's body after 4 weeks became better at reacting to sugar coming into body, his insulin appeared quite healthy.
    High fat doctor's body after 4 weeks reacted very poorly to sugar entering the body, insulin levels were crazy and appeared to be close to diabetic levels.

High fat doctor performed better over long duration exercise on a stationary bike, his blood sugar levels were much more stable than the high sugar doctor, both were then given about 100 calories of butter or Glucose and sprinted up a hill climb on the bike, the high sugar doctor pulled away easily here after a few minutes. Both had increased blood sugar levels after the sprint even thou the high fat doctor had not consumed any sugar, he appear to be metabolizing muscle.

I know it's done over a very small test case, none the less, it was interesting.

There was a lot more interesting points that I cant recall, worth a watch if you can find it online.

The conclusion they came to was that it wasn't high sugar or high fat that was the problem but a combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The conclusion they came to was that it wasn't high sugar or high fat that was the problem but a combination.

Yes, Or also that, eliminating either can not work as a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Nice summary. Did it mention what their protein intake was? Did the high fat fella have any carbohydrate in his diet at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The ultimate conclusion was eat real non processed foods; a mix of protein, fat, carbs, sugar; exercise regularly; don't get fat. The extreme experiments obfuscated a very standard message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,618 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Essien wrote: »
    I'll try a curry like that today. What's a decent sauce to use? I'd have thought they'd generally be high in sugar or something.

The sauce was homemade.
    Mae Ploy paste, sautéed onions and light coconut cream. Virtually no sugar.
    The carbs is pretty much all from the rice

Mellor wrote: »
    The sauce was homemade.
    Mae Ploy paste, sautéed onions and light coconut cream. Virtually no sugar.
    The carbs is pretty much all from the rice

How does that worktop not give you a headache?

Last night my nephew made a chocolate cake in our oven.

Just now I grilled my bacon in it.

The aroma of chocolatey baconey goodness would bring a tear to your eye.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Essien wrote: »
    Last night my nephew made a chocolate cake in our oven.

Just now I grilled my bacon in it.

The aroma of chocolatey baconey goodness would bring a tear to your eye.

Don't let it fool you. my housemate made dark chocolate with bacon bits... Sounds epic.. It was not

• Advertisement

conzy wrote: »
    Don't let it fool you. my housemate made dark chocolate with bacon bits... Sounds epic.. It was not

I just had some of the cake after my breakfast instead, did the job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement