Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I made a bacon and pecan pie awhile back. It was really good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

conzy wrote: »
    Don't let it fool you. my housemate made dark chocolate with bacon bits... Sounds epic.. It was not

Chocolate and bacon works really well. But most certainly not dark chocolate and bacon, it's too bitter to work with the salty bacon. Try it with milk chocolate.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Maltesers and popcorn go well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Maltesers and popcorn go well

For the MASS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Yes, Or also that, eliminating either can not work as a solution.

I'm guessing the fact it didn't come down in favour of the high fat low sugar side of the argument I won't see it plastered all over my facebook timeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I made a bacon and pecan pie awhile back. It was really good.

Any recipe for this, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

My protein cake recipe has been doing the job for the past while. Much better than the muck MP are peddling anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How does that worktop not give you a headache?

Because I'm not a moany pregnant women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Brian? wrote: »
    Chocolate and bacon works really well. But most certainly not dark chocolate and bacon, it's too bitter to work with the salty bacon. Try it with milk chocolate.

having some lindt dark chocolate with sea salt as I type.
    very nice.

sea salt ice cream was eaten a few time. lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

having some lindt dark chocolate with sea salt as I type.
    very nice.

I find it pretty addictive :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Any recipe for this, please?

I'll find it and pm you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just spotted this in CVPL...

Weightlifter-projectile-vomiting.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone have any experience of cooking pancakes the night before and eating the day after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You would have to let them cool on a grill. If you let them cool on a flat surface the part touching the the plate will become all soggy.

JJayoo wrote: »
    You would have to let them cool on a grill. If you let them cool on a flat surface the part touching the the plate will become all soggy.

Cheers thanks. Have to prep my food for the week Sunday and was wondering would they be okay to eat Monday morning on the train:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Make protein bars instead, same ingredient essentially but not cooked.

Sangre wrote: »
    Make protein bars instead, same ingredient essentially but not cooked.

Do you have a link for the recipe? I've just mastered pancakes so I hope these are easier:P I'm useless with this sort of creativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Do you have a link for the recipe? I've just mastered pancakes so I hope these are easier:P I'm useless with this sort of creativity.

There is a thread in here on them.

edit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85123983 <-- this one. Or you could just make a sandwich ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kevpants wrote: »
    I'm guessing the fact it didn't come down in favour of the high fat low sugar side of the argument I won't see it plastered all over my facebook timeline.
    The guy/twin was not on a high fat low sugar diet though, it was just high fat and trying to completely cut out sugar, natural & processed sugar, so no vegetables no milk or anything like that. They admitted this was totally unrealistic and not what many people eat who are trying to cut out sugar.

They said he was on the verge of being diabetic by the end of it. But I wondered if this was just an incorrect indicator/symptom they were looking at, and if he truly would have become diabetic. Eskimos are supposed to have unusually large livers thought to help use protein as energy as their diet is so low in carbs.
    Anyone have any experience of cooking pancakes the night before and eating the day after?
    make them thick and you can pop them in a toaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Lads - MyProtein sent me an email offering me 15% off my next order because they 'miss me'.

I haven't used them for a while and as long as bulkpowders dont make a monumental **** up with my orders, probably wont go back to them so whoever wants it, can use it. I imagine it's first come first served, but if it allows multiple uses then better again.

5508-7211-46AB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

link_2007 wrote: »
    Lads - MyProtein sent me an email offering me 15% off my next order because they 'miss me'.

I haven't used them for a while and as long as bulkpowders dont make a monumental **** up with my orders, probably wont go back to them so whoever wants it, can use it. I imagine it's first come first served, but if it allows multiple uses then better again.

5508-7211-46AB

Thanks man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

link_2007 wrote: »

5508-7211-46AB

Use groupie15 for 15% off any time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Thick oat pancakes keep well, lob them in the toaster or microwave to reheat, prob only for a few days though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Thud wrote: »
    Thick oat pancakes keep well, lob them in the toaster or microwave to reheat, prob only for a few days though

By keep well do you mean "Continue tasting like absolute sh1t".

If so I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

kevpants wrote: »
    By keep well do you mean "Continue tasting like absolute sh1t".

If so I agree.

You're doing it wrong...frying/cooking them in butter is key

Oat pancakes taste like normal ones to me
    I make them thin though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dave 101 wrote: »
    Use groupie15 for 15% off any time

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thud wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong...frying/cooking them in butter is key

Or coconut oil, or a coconut oil & butter mixture. I have mine sodden in coconut oil, find it odd to hear of people forcing down tablespoons of coconut oil, like its a no pain no gain mentality, though some do like it on its own.

Quick question...

For the past 4 or so months I've just been pricking around in the gym, with no real plan and basically deciding what I'll do on the day or the night before. On Monday I'm starting a structured 12-week 5x5 programme. Should I reset the weights a little bit when starting it? For example, today my back squat weight was 122.5 for 5x5 and it wasn't all too difficult. I've been progressing nicely over the past while and it feels like I can continue to add 2.5 per session for a good while yet. Any point in resetting back to something like 110kg at the start of the programme (meaning it'd be 3 weeks before I'd be back up to 122.5 again)? Or should I just start at that weight and milk it the progress for all it's worth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

gvn wrote: »
    Quick question...

For the past 4 or so months I've just been pricking around in the gym, with no real plan and basically deciding what I'll do on the day or the night before. On Monday I'm starting a structured 12-week 5x5 programme. Should I reset the weights a little bit when starting it? For example, today my back squat weight was 122.5 for 5x5 and it wasn't all too difficult. I've been progressing nicely over the past while and it feels like I can continue to add 2.5 per session for a good while yet. Any point in resetting back to something like 110kg at the start of the programme (meaning it'd be 3 weeks before I'd be back up to 122.5 again)? Or should I just start at that weight and milk it the progress for all it's worth?

You must now add 10kg as punishment thats how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

gvn wrote: »
    Quick question...

Now, I'm far from experienced when it comes to programmes but most of the ones i've looked at for myself (though I won't be squatting 5x5 at that weight for a while yet) are structured so that you're within yourself for the first few weeks. Take Madcow - you enter your 5RM and it bases the progression on that. You can even plug in when you want to start hitting PR territory but it's recommended that you don't go for any sooner than week 4.

Now, I'm far from experienced when it comes to programmes but most of the ones i've looked at for myself (though I won't be squatting 5x5 at that weight for a while yet) are structured so that you're within yourself for the first few weeks. Take Madcow - you enter your 5RM and it bases the progression on that. You can even plug in when you want to start hitting PR territory but it's recommended that you don't go for any sooner than week 4.

That's what I had thought, but since I'm still easily making progress with linear progression session-on-session, and I'm currently using the same 5x5 rep scheme as the programme I'll be starting, would a reduction in weight be an unnecessary 3 week deload? That's the dilemma.

If you think there's plenty of progression in you, don't drop back too much. But start into it by giving yourself 3-4 weeks before you think you'll start struggling at a 5x5. If you start in and you're close to failing any set by week 3, you might end up being derailed too soon into the programme.

If you think there's plenty of progression in you, don't drop back too much. But start into it by giving yourself 3-4 weeks before you think you'll start struggling at a 5x5. If you start in and you're close to failing any set by week 3, you might end up being derailed too soon into the programme.

I think you're probably right. I'll design it so I'm at current levels in exactly 3 weeks. If anything it'll give me a chance to work on technique.

You need to work into it before you start hitting a PR. If nothing else,it allows you build on your technique so you get into PR territory with a better technique. As a relative newcomer to all this, i'd plugged into Madcow that i'd hit PRs by week 4. But I usually went testing too often so I got to weights I'm at now but only hit singles or doubles as i chased 'big' PRs. Your log makes for much better reading but just make sure not to rush yourself into PR territory too soon. It's a 12-wk programme. Even if it takes 4 or 5 weeks to get to that point, you'll have 7 or 8 weeks of setting PRs after it.

• Advertisement

You need to work into it before you start hitting a PR. If nothing else,it allows you build on your technique so you get into PR territory with a better technique. As a relative newcomer to all this, i'd plugged into Madcow that i'd hit PRs by week 4. But I usually went testing too often so I got to weights I'm at now but only hit singles or doubles as i chased 'big' PRs. Your log makes for much better reading but just make sure not to rush yourself into PR territory too soon. It's a 12-wk programme. Even if it takes 4 or 5 weeks to get to that point, you'll have 7 or 8 weeks of setting PRs after it.

You are over looking a crucial point here. Madcow hits PRs in week 4, but it's not a novice program. You usually switch to MC after linear progression stalls a few times. So it's basically programming a deload after they missed a weight a few times.

Which sounds like it isn't the case here.
    If the 122.5kg 5x5 was fully legit, with more in the tank. I would bother dropping below 120kg next week.

Mellor wrote: »
    You are over looking a crucial point here. Madcow hits PRs in week 4, but it's not a novice program. You usually switch to MC after linear progression stalls a few times. So it's basically programming a deload after they missed a weight a few times.

Which sounds like it isn't the case here.
    If the 122.5kg 5x5 was fully legit, with more in the tank. I would bother dropping below 120kg next week.

Which is why I said that if there was plenty in the tank as it stands, he shouldn't drop back much.

Yeah I know, I just felt suggesting 4 or 5 weeks to work back up is excessive. Especially out of a 12 week program - not im not sure if he is actually limited to 12 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Knuckle of barbell on your adductor with a superfriend standing on it, is not the most pleasant experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ant11 wrote: »
    Knuckle of barbell on your adductor with a superfriend standing on it, is not the most pleasant experience.

I don't know what this sentence says.

• Advertisement

That is sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I don't know what this sentence says.

`just follow the steps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Any videos of this to see what the setup looks like?

cc87 wrote: »
    Any videos of this to see what the setup looks like?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eCKxOyhkCFE

This looks similar to what I did. I didn't move as quick though, I find it more beneficial to move very slow. I layed more on my side to get right in there and then had someone put their weight on the bar for the juicy spots. Very good move if your lacking external rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

This looks similar to what I did. I didn't move as quick though, I find it more beneficial to move very slow. I layed more on my side to get right in there and then had someone put their weight on the bar for the juicy spots. Very good move if your lacking external rotation.

Inb4 you get kicked out of the gym for doing that.

dor843088 wrote: »
    Inb4 you get kicked out of the gym for doing that.

Huh:confused:

Would a hockey ball not just be the same?

Would a hockey ball not just be the same?

You wouldn't be able to apply the same level of pressure

You wouldn't be able to apply the same level of pressure

How? Just press it.

How? Just press it.

The bar weighs a lot more so you get more pressure...if you're comparing applying the same force when pressing the bar and pressing the ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement