Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

More pressure/pain doesn't = better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    More pressure/pain doesn't = better

Which is why I wouldn't do it myself. Well...that and I'm not a big fan of inflicting pain on myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Anybody got a good source for proper microwaveable containers for food that will actually last? The ones I have always warp and leak after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Would a hockey ball not just be the same?

It might for some people but I prefer the barbell. Ball is too hard to get in there properly IMO. As others said additional pain doesn't necessarily mean it's a better job but for me I find it a lot more beneficial with additional pressure. Even if I was at home with a hockey ball I'd still get herself to stand on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Got a 183.7kg (405lbs) back squat yesterday at 93kg BW, very happy boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Ant11 wrote: »
    Huh:confused:

Not sure people would want to handle a barbell after some hairy beast has been scraping it all over his sweaty sweaty groin. Looks like hes getting a release alright but not of the myofascial variety.

Gintonious wrote: »

.7 of a kilo ?

dor843088 wrote: »
    .7 of a kilo ?

Plates are in pounds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Gintonious wrote: »

Nice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Swedes are so crazy, sets 6 to 10 utter madness here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Ara here. That's insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And that's only week 2. He has to come back in and do 10 x 3 with 5kg added next week

Mellor wrote: »
    And that's only week 2. He has to come back in and do 10 x 3 with 5kg added next week

George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

He seems to have scared everyone out of the gym after set 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Man creates worlds healthiest meal.

Cooks it in microwave.

Good f*ck.

Hanley wrote: »

Cooks it in microwave.

Good f*ck.

Problem with microwaves?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Problem with microwaves?

Not very paleo.

Problem with microwaves?

Apparently they're not Paleo

edit.. Papu beat me to it.

brownej wrote: »
    Apparently they're not Paleo

So bleeding what? :).

BBQ is the only paleo cooking method anyway.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

So bleeding what? :).

BBQ is the only paleo cooking method anyway.

I prefer a fulacht fia myself.

brownej wrote: »
    I prefer a fulacht fia myself.

That's Neolithic not Paleolithic. Sheesh, ;)

they/them/theirs

papu wrote: »
    Not very paleo.

I think thats the original incarnation of paleo your talking about. Apparently in the 15th version of paleo your allowed to nuke your food .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭rocky

Hanley wrote: »

Cooks it in microwave.

Good f*ck.

Stopped reading at 'superfood'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Realised today that I've never really given myself a consistent run at the gym, it's always been a one week on one week off kind of thing etc. Feelsbadman :(

Trying to make it an integral part of my life from now till summer, no matter what's going on or how I'm feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

K4t wrote: »
    Realised today that I've never really given myself a consistent run at the gym, it's always been a one week on one week off kind of thing etc. Feelsbadman :(

Trying to make it an integral part of my life from now till summer, no matter what's going on or how I'm feeling.

Just get into a routine and you'll be set.

Vanilla-flavoured whey and porridge has turned out to be quite a nice mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Anyone else making their own equipment? Made myself a power rack. Just needs a lick of paint and a couple of safety bars. Still don't know what colour to go with, I actually quite like the bare steel finish as it is. Have to make a bench next.

292282.jpg

DylanJM wrote: »
    Anyone else making their own equipment? Made myself a power rack. Just needs a lick of paint and a couple of safety bars. Still don't know what colour to go with, I actually quite like the bare steel finish as it is. Have to make a bench next.

292282.jpg

Impressive. Is it bolted down at the bottom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Anyone else making their own equipment?

Made some brackets but holding off on making bigger equipment until i get a shed built.

• Advertisement

Impressive. Is it bolted down at the bottom?

Thanks. Not yet but it will be. I had thought about making it free standing but it would've required some more material for a cross bar at the bottom so I decided against it. I prefer the thought of having it bolted to the floor too.

Thanks. Not yet but it will be. I had thought about making it free standing but it would've required some more material for a cross bar at the bottom so I decided against it. I prefer the thought of having it bolted to the floor too.

Without either it wont be very stable. Should be rock solid when bolted tho.

Made some brackets but holding off on making bigger equipment until i get a shed built.

Nice. Are you building the shed specifically for use as a gym?
    Without either it wont be very stable. Should be rock solid when bolted tho.

Yep! I donn't have any spare bolts so it won't be getting any use until I pick up a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The holes for the safety bars are tiny, what kind of bars will you be using? and have you made any more equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You might already have it planned in, but I was saying before if I was making a shed I would incorporate equipment into the design/structure. Like if you have concrete block walls you could have handles coming out for dips, or corner chin up bars like this

tc-sports-corner-mounted-chin-up-pull-up-bar.jpg
    If starting out fresh you just have to have the bar rested on the blocks and then "blocked over", rather than having to have more bars welded on to form brackets like he has.

The dip bar could have vertical poles so it would be very stable. Again I would just have the bars rested on concrete rather than bolted on. Though you might want it moved at a later date.
    wall%20dip%20bars.jpg

Nice. Are you building the shed specifically for use as a gym?

Primarily, yes. Will also have a little workshop for myself, useful to fabricate gym stuff etc.

rubadub: The goal will be that the design is also functional, rather than just housing for equipment. Have to bear in mind future purposes though.

Primarily, yes. Will also have a little workshop for myself, useful to fabricate gym stuff etc.

rubadub: The goal will be that the design is also functional, rather than just housing for equipment. Have to bear in mind future purposes though.

Im building a shed/gym myself soon but mines just gonna be a boring old shed with some gear in it power rack etc. Its gonna be 30x16 foot tho so plenty of room for what I need. Mind me asking how big yours is gonna be and roughly how much its gonna cost if you have an idea? Iv no idea how much mine will be.

Im building a shed/gym myself soon but mines just gonna be a boring old shed with some gear in it power rack etc. Its gonna be 30x16 foot tho so plenty of room for what I need. Mind me asking how big yours is gonna be and roughly how much its gonna cost if you have an idea? Iv no idea how much mine will be.

Initially 25 m^2 so it is exempt of planning with an eye to extending it by adding on another room. I haven't the cost (or even teh materials) worked out, I'll be doing the work myself though.

JJayoo wrote: »
    The holes for the safety bars are tiny, what kind of bars will you be using? and have you made any more equipment?

The holes are 16mm which is the same size as the standard rogue and elitefts racks so I think they're big enough. Not sure what steel I will use, it will have to be a high tensile steel of some description.

I made a flat bench a while back.

• Advertisement

Just made that "healthiest" curry. Blueberry and chicken curry. Wasn't that nice.

Waste of blueberries if you ask me. I didn't bother with the rice. I had garlic nan :-) **** em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wish i had a shed

George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn.gif

Nope, he tapped out while warming up with 60kgs on the bar for week three, day three. Claims he doesn't have a major injury just that his back had gotten so bad that it was taking him up to 15 minutes of unbearable pain to put socks on in the morning. Totally surprising outcome obv.

I had garlic nan :-) **** em.

I hope your grandmother told you to wash your mouth out.

I hope your grandmother told you to wash your mouth out.

yes, she was pretty angry when I baked her

Nope, he tapped out while warming up with 60kgs on the bar for week three, day three. Claims he doesn't have a major injury just that his back had gotten so bad that it was taking him up to 15 minutes of unbearable pain to put socks on in the morning. Totally surprising outcome obv.

:( I know that feel. Nooby Poor form deadlifts and squats tore my back up years ago .

• Advertisement

:( I know that feel. Nooby Poor form deadlifts and squats tore my back up years ago .

His form was pretty good and he clearly knew how to brace before pulling through the videos. It's just the outright stupidity of running something like Smolov JR for Deadlifts. Your form could be the best in the world and you'd still run the risk of injury from putting that type of volume and intensity on your low back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Bought whole Chia seeds the other day and there was milled Chia seeds as well. Just wondering does anyone know if one is particularly better than the other? :) They had Chia seed and blueberry and Chia seed and cranberry which I though looked nice too, but decided to just go for the plain whole chia seed just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

lF9QuNn.jpg

Damn straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I built a shed 2 years ago, price will depend on many factors. I put down 6 inches of hardcore and 6 inches of concrete for the floor (you really want a solid floor). I got door and windows second hand. Roof has slate to match house, it would have been a lot cheaper to put OSB boards and felt. I paid for a brick layer but did everything else myself, total came in just over 4k.
    I didn't use any insulation.
    I have since painted the inside white and put a sand and cement render on the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I built a shed 2 years ago, price will depend on many factors. I put down 6 inches of hardcore and 6 inches of concrete for the floor (you really want a solid floor). I got door and windows second hand. Roof has slate to match house, it would have been a lot cheaper to put OSB boards and felt. I paid for a brick layer but did everything else myself, total came in just over 4k.
    I didn't use any insulation.
    I have since painted the inside white and put a sand and cement render on the outside.

I often wondered would using old cargo containers as a shell be feasable for a no frills shed? Obviously its not for everyone but could it work?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement