Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

If you have a slow cooker do yourself a favour and make this pulled pork, I guaranty you won't be disappointed

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/crockpot/crockpot-pulled-pork/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

dylbert wrote: »
    If you have a slow cooker do yourself a favour and make this pulled pork, I guaranty you won't be disappointed

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/crockpot/crockpot-pulled-pork/

This was a revelation. Ill buy a 2.5kg piece of pork and munch on it for days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I often wondered would using old cargo containers as a shell be feasable for a no frills shed? Obviously its not for everyone but could it work?

You'd wanna do something about the floor , Dropping a Loaded bar in there would be like being inside of a ringing bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

This was a revelation. Ill buy a 2.5kg piece of pork and munch on it for days!

My butcher sells pork shoulder for less than €5/kg :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

papu wrote: »
    You'd wanna do something about the floor , Dropping a Loaded bar in there would be like being inside of a ringing bell.

I was thinking if it mainly acted as a shell you could have the container sitting on stone chippings, grind out some big chunks of the floor and fill with concrete.
    When its come to building I've never done anything but been an occasional grunt so I'm probably missing something thats stopped being done regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone see the video Hercs put up on Facebook or a lad benching 210kg x 3 in a t shirt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Anyone see the video Hercs put up on Facebook or a lad benching 210kg x 3 in a t shirt?

I assume it was Bernie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hanley wrote: »
    I assume it was Bernie?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

I built a shed 2 years ago, price will depend on many factors. I put down 6 inches of hardcore and 6 inches of concrete for the floor (you really want a solid floor). I got door and windows second hand. Roof has slate to match house, it would have been a lot cheaper to put OSB boards and felt. I paid for a brick layer but did everything else myself, total came in just over 4k.
    I didn't use any insulation.
    I have since painted the inside white and put a sand and cement render on the outside.

Looks like exactly what id be after. Not sure what dimensions yours is but I think mine will be roughly twice as big and even at the price youv given I dont think ill be able to swing 8k on a house for a power rack . Back to the drawing board maybe.

• Advertisement

Did he just go and knock out a second set?

He posts here the odd time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

day 3 of no caffine.
    I feel super this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I often wondered would using old cargo containers as a shell be feasable for a no frills shed?
    They make houses out of them in some places. So I expect there are loads of sites about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Savage benching

I'm sure that guy spotting is strong but doubt he'd have been much use if anything went wrong there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I often wondered would using old cargo containers as a shell be feasable for a no frills shed? Obviously its not for everyone but could it work?
    I don't think there is enough room to press over head in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Arse Biscuits: some cow mats would be perfect as protective flooring in your gym shed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I don't think there is enough room to press over head in them

I'd say there could be unless the person was quite tall.

Most containers are about 8 foot high internally, with higher one's being closer to 9 foot high internally
    Edit:
    20_foot_storage_container_measurements.jpg

7 foot 10 inch's for the average container

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

JJayoo wrote: »
    Arse Biscuits: some cow mats would be perfect as protective flooring in your gym shed

They're on my list alright. Know of anywhere near Dublin that sells them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They're on my list alright. Know of anywhere near Dublin that sells them?

These lads are in wicklow and do delivery. They do gym mats also. I think Hanley has some of tehir stuff and he said they were decent.

www.abbeylawn.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd say there could be unless the person was quite tall.

7 foot 10 inch's for the average container

Remember though, the plate is 225mm/9" higher than the centre of the bar/hands that's gonna be pretty tight for anyone above average height

Mellor wrote: »
    Remember though, the plate is 225mm/9" higher than the centre of the bar/hands that's gonna be pretty tight for anyone above average height

You could do them sat down. Not having any real light and being freezing cold would be a bigger issue for me. Those containers go for about 1.5k, you'd build something decent in timber and insulate it for that.

You could do them sat down. Not having any real light and being freezing cold would be a bigger issue for me. Those containers go for about 1.5k, you'd build something decent in timber and insulate it for that.

I think I'd rather build something myself ( IF I didn't already have one )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the longer containers are generally higher than the short ones.
    Those containers go for about 1.5k,
    Depends on quality, many are sold off as scrap, they are no longer fit for use as shipping containers, some will have holes and be rusting but could still be fine for his use.

rubadub wrote: »
    I think the longer containers are generally higher than the short ones.

Depends on quality, many are sold off as scrap, they are no longer fit for use as shipping containers, some will have holes and be rusting but could still be fine for his use.

Right, the price is very variable. I dont think you'd save much money, if any at all over even buying a garden shed, let alone building one yourself.Not after you site it, strip it, put windows in etc.

• Advertisement

Right, the price is very variable. I dont think you'd save much money, if any at all over even buying a garden shed, let alone building one yourself.Not after you site it, strip it, put windows in etc.

Get you!

What kind of flowers would you put in the window boxes?

Get you!

What kind of flowers would you put in the window boxes?

:(

:(

Pansy?

Purple-Pansy-Flower-Pictures-228x131.jpg

11.22pm and I'm about to cook my final meal of the day.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

11.22pm and I'm about to cook my final meal of the day.....

What you gonna have??

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    What you gonna have??

Had breaded chicken with wholegrain rice and beans. Was tasty enough. Sometimes its still a pain to get eating bulk quantities. My wife thinks I'm mad ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

Thud wrote: »
    Savage benching

I'm sure that guy spotting is strong but doubt he'd have been much use if anything went wrong there...

If there is anybody in hercs ye want spotting you it's Dave smith

Dave 101 wrote: »

can he bent over row 210kg?

That's assuming the bencher can apply zero upward force.

Which is usually unlikely.

That's assuming the bencher can apply zero upward force.

Which is usually unlikely.

worst case scenario, bencher passes out or pops elbow/shoulder...should prob have a spotter each end for that sort of weight

worst case scenario, bencher passes out or pops elbow/shoulder...should prob have a spotter each end for that sort of weight

Just curious, aside from the spotting issue, have you ever seen a bencher pass out or pop an elbow/shoulder mid-press?

Just curious, aside from the spotting issue, have you ever seen a bencher pass out or pop an elbow/shoulder mid-press?
    there's a load of videos on you tube and this guy died last year:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9b6_1346289184&comments=1
    lighter weight with spotters....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dave 101 wrote: »

Meh, the guy has a point. Despite how experienced and knowledgeable the two lads probably are, it's 210kgs on the bar and the spotter wasn't going to be able to do much from that position if something went wrong. Probably incredibly unlikely it would be an issue mind, and there were other people there who could have rushed over to provide help, but the bench press is the only lift that kills people ever - worth taking precautions.

don't like being that guy and it's amazing lifting but better safe than sorry

there's a load of videos on you tube and this guy died last year:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9b6_1346289184&comments=1
    lighter weight with spotters....

It won't open, which is just as well...since I'm benching tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Had to spot a guy loads doing thumbless grip benching last night actually. Me nerves.

(Yeah, I tried discouraging him from that grip since he was sorta brute strong rather than particularly technically good. His life though :\ )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Is irish lifting closed down or what? Been calling over to the premises at various times of the day for weeks now and have never been able to either get in the door or get anyone on the phone . Maybe the online business is still open but offline they are definitely closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

Probably yeah, but he can defo hold a bar with 210 kg on it while camera man drags him out from underneath after he "passes out", there is always goin to a risk with that kinda weight even with 3 spotters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Re the lad benching - what is the significance of him doing it in a T-shirt?

Does it dramatically impede your bench vs wearing a sleeveless top?

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Re the lad benching - what is the significance of him doing it in a T-shirt?

Does it dramatically impede your bench vs wearing a sleeveless top?

I think they meant it as in he was just in a t shirt and not a bench shirt.

No... but he's a 340kg squat, 200kg raw bench, 280kg raw deadlift, has trained with Bernie for years, knows exactly what his movement is like and has been involved with Irish powerlifting probably as long as the average poster here has been alive.

Cop on.

Internet, **** yeah.

...oh and the guy video'n it pulled 3.5x bodyweight as a junior - his son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No... but he's a 340kg squat, 200kg raw bench, 280kg raw deadlift, has trained with Bernie for years, knows exactly what his movement is like and has been involved with Irish powerlifting probably as long as the average poster here has been alive.

Cop on.

Internet, **** yeah.

To be honest, you need to cop on and not get so needlessly defensive! :)

Great lifting, maybe less than the ideal spotting setup for that much weight. No need for people to take such umbrage with that observation!

Cop on.

Internet, **** yeah.

I'm sure they are all extremely strong (my other posts say it's amazing benching) but that doesn't negate to need to be safe....i didn't post that to get into an arguement just didn't look to safe to me in my opinion

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    To be honest, you need to cop on and not get so needlessly defensive! :)

Great lifting, maybe less than the ideal spotting setup for that much weight. No need for people to take such umbrage with that observation!

I woulda said "incredulous" tbh. Unless you've trained in a real gym with real lifters you won't get what it's like.

A catastrophic failure of anything with 140 is juts as bad as anything that coulda happened with 210.

So to suggest its irresponsible cos of the
    Weight is stupid. You've got to remember i travelled to comps with those lads and trained with them for over 4 years.

Everyone training in there together knows what's the other persons style is, appreciates the gravity of any slip up and is very careful and competent at spotting.

You're literally trusting them with your life in certain circumstances.

But all people see on the Internet is a few seconds of a training session and think they know it all because they've never been at a level where they can watch a bar as a spotter and anticipate where it's going and how to react.

So no, it's not "needlessly defensive". It's commenting on people who don't know enough about a topic to speak from a qualified place to correct something that is just wrong.

If I went onto a physics forum and starting telling them what's right and wrong with only a rudimentary understanding of a topic, I wouldn't be surprised if someone came on and told me exactly why I was wrong.

Besides when things go wrong with raw benching, you've TONNES of time to react anyway.

....and before anyone posts a vid of someone doing a suicide grip
    Bench and getting smashed - stop with the strawman.

• Advertisement

ok grand, you're right

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement