Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Now this is very off topic but I had to laugh. Somehow, some way George Zimmerman is going to box rapper DMX

"As we first reported, DMX promised to massacre Zimmerman in the ring if he got the chance. To be exact, he said, “I am going to beat the living f**k out him … I am breaking every rule in boxing to make sure I f**k him right up.” He then said he’d literally piss on George’s face"

http://www.bjpenn.com/rapper-dmx-booked-for-george-zimmerman-bout-promises-masacre/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    Now this is very off topic but I had to laugh. Somehow, some way George Zimmerman is going to box rapper DMX

"As we first reported, DMX promised to massacre Zimmerman in the ring if he got the chance. To be exact, he said, “I am going to beat the living f**k out him … I am breaking every rule in boxing to make sure I f**k him right up.” He then said he’d literally piss on George’s face"

http://www.bjpenn.com/rapper-dmx-booked-for-george-zimmerman-bout-promises-masacre/

Started to read that and wondered why Bob Dylan was going to fight DMX.

Then I imagined them having a rap battle.

I'm not sure which notion amused me more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Post workout meal :).
    SAM_0843_zps5d6f0f43.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I'd say there could be unless the person was quite tall.

Most containers are about 8 foot high internally, with higher one's being closer to 9 foot high internally
    Edit:
    20_foot_storage_container_measurements.jpg

7 foot 10 inch's for the average container

That's bigger than my shed. I can't overhead press while standing in mine either*. But I don't miss it at all.

*At one end you can, but the spiders live down there and you don't wanna go down that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Post workout meal :).
    SAM_0843_zps5d6f0f43.jpg

Im bulking dont judge me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Dathai wrote: »

Tyson is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Is he saying Armstrong is not as bad as he is?

If he is then fair enough. Neither of them are shining role models. And Armstrong isn't a convicted rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If he is then fair enough. Neither of them are shining role models. And Armstrong isn't a convicted rapist.
    Are you genuinely struggling to understand the point he is making?
    Or did you just want a pop at Tyson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lance Armstrong hate is an incredibly silly position tbh. And his detractors truly do 'hate' him.

Tyson has always been a brilliant interview, whatever about his many flaws and failings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Talking to my sister about food (her and her clan recently moved in with me) and she asked me did I not ever buy jars of tikka masala etc and I said no...I can't eat that gunk anyway even if I wanted to as it usually has wheat in it. She then reveals she reacts to wheat etc as well and feels crap after eating something like the tikka masala etc but that wouldn't stop her as she doesn't want to be 'all healthy' like me. Does she not know how much sugar is in my diet, I'm not healthy! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Is a sore tailbone truly one of the most annoying injuries?? Even worse I've no idea how I did it. Feels like some one booted me in my sleep!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Is a sore tailbone truly one of the most annoying injuries?? Even worse I've no idea how I did it. Feels like some one booted me in my sleep!!

I got kneed up the hole one time rising a sliotar before and didn't walk straight for days after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

I got kneed up the hole one time rising a sliotar before and didn't walk straight for days after.

Happened once before in a rugby match when I got knocked back on my arse at a ruck.

It doesnt help the amount of driving ive had to do yesterday and today up and down the country. Would squatting aggravate it I wonder?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Happened once before in a rugby match when I got knocked back on my arse at a ruck.

It doesnt help the amount of driving ive had to do yesterday and today up and down the country. Would squatting aggravate it I wonder?!

Sittung down usually crippled me when I had it so I could imagine squatting would be the same. I'd go through my warm up if I was you and just have something else in mind and rearrange your week if you can't squat today/tomorrow.

Widely believed to be falsely convicted.

The reason people have such a problem with Lance Armstrong isn't as simple as cheating at cycling. As people like Greg LeMond, Emma O'Reilly and Betsy Andreu will testify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Was in the gym this morning, going about my business when I heard an almighty racket going on behind me. There was this lad benching on the smyth machine (bad enough, but unremarkable), firing the bar into the air and catching it on the way down for about fifteen-twenty reps at a time. He only had about 30kg on it altogether, so apart from the obvious danger, he could just have done clap push-ups instead.

Definitely the strangest exercise I have seen in a gym in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Was in the gym this morning, going about my business when I heard an almighty racket going on behind me. There was this lad benching on the smyth machine (bad enough, but unremarkable), firing the bar into the air and catching it on the way down for about fifteen-twenty reps at a time. He only had about 30kg on it altogether, so apart from the obvious danger, he could just have done clap push-ups instead.

Definitely the strangest exercise I have seen in a gym in a long time.

Bet he was a rugby player and read about Quade Cooper doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you genuinely struggling to understand the point he is making?
    Or did you just want a pop at Tyson?

I'm struggling to reply to your 2 questions in a succinct fashion.

I am pretty sure I understand the point he is making. He does labour it.

It changes nothing about Armstrong's or his own past.

They were both superb athletes yada, but both asreholes for various reasons. This is my personal opinion, if that constitutes a 'pop at Tyson', then yeah. I just wanted that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What is a crossfit 'athlete'?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What is a crossfit 'athlete'?

Someone who competes at Crossfit? What point do you wish to make?

I'm struggling to reply to your 2 questions in a succinct fashion.

I am pretty sure I understand the point he is making. He does labour it.

It changes nothing about Armstrong's or his own past.

They were both superb athletes yada, but both asreholes for various reasons. This is my personal opinion, if that constitutes a 'pop at Tyson', then yeah. I just wanted that.
    Well, you asked was his point that "Armstrong is not as bad as he is". Which it obviously wasn't. At no point did he compare Lance to himself or any individual. He is just saying that there worse people in the world than sports cheats. I agree with that point, I also still think Armstrong is a dick.

Tyson has his own checkered past. His character, mental state over the years can be questioned. But that's not relevant to what he was saying imo.
    The reason people have such a problem with Lance Armstrong isn't as simple as cheating at cycling. As people like Greg LeMond, Emma O'Reilly and Betsy Andreu will testify.
    I generally agree. The way he went about defended himself for years was worse than the cheating.
    Emma O'Reilly was genuinely screwed over for doing the right thing. But hardly a surprising reaction from a person with a "do anything to win" mentality.

But I feel almost zero compassion for other cyclists and their associates who had no problem with drugs until Lance kept winning.
    Betsy Andreu, for example, was aware of her husbands EPO use since before Lance won his first TdeF. 7 years later, after her husband has retired and admitted his own EPO use - she decides to blow the whistle on Lance. Piss off Betsy.

7 years later, after her husband has retired and admitted his own EPO use - she decides to blow the whistle on Lance. Piss off Betsy.
    Saying he admitted to taking drugs in a court case is hardly the same as blowing the whistle.

Saying he admitted to taking drugs in a court case is hardly the same as blowing the whistle.
    Wasn't the court case brought about because of the incident was published in a book first? Of course unknown source definitely wasn't the Andreus ;)

I always assumed, given the hostility between the two, that the Andreus were willing (ie paid) witnesses for the insurance company sueing Armstrong.

Regardless, I just find a situation, where one drug cheat, is calling another drug cheat, a cheater. To be a bit ridiculous.

Wasn't the court case brought about because of the incident was published in a book first? Of course unknown source definitely wasn't the Andreus ;)

I always assumed, given the hostility between the two, that the Andreus were willing (ie paid) witnesses for the insurance company sueing Armstrong.

Regardless, I just find a situation, where one drug cheat, is calling another drug cheat, a cheater. To be a bit ridiculous.

So, and I'm playing Devil's Advocate, is all of Paul Kimmage's work in outing Armstrong invalidated because he took drugs?

So, and I'm playing Devil's Advocate, is all of Paul Kimmage's work in outing Armstrong invalidated because he took drugs?
    I'm not sure of the extent of Paul's PED use tbh. He claimed Armstrong was doping for years, he was right. So nothing invalidates his work. But I never said it did, I said I wouldn't feel compassion for him. I don't, but I don't think he was looking for it either. He came clear years ago, and since then wrote educated opinion pieces on the state of the sport.

I'm not sure of the extent of Paul's PED use tbh. He claimed Armstrong was doping for years, he was right. So nothing invalidates his work. But I never said it did, I said I wouldn't feel compassion for him. I don't, but I don't think he was looking for it either. He came clear years ago, and since then wrote educated opinion pieces on the state of the sport.

I didn't mean in termns of compassion. I was just coming from the angle of it being ridiculous for a cheater to call another cheater a cheater ;)

He took amphetamines in a couple of criteriums over the course of a few weeks but that was theextent of it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Someone who competes at Crossfit? What point do you wish to make?

I genuinely don't know what they are competing in? Are they ambassadors for cross fit? Are they sponsored by crossfit? I was asking a question not making a statement so no point was being made :confused:

• Advertisement

I genuinely don't know what they are competing in? Are they ambassadors for cross fit? Are they sponsored by crossfit? I was asking a question not making a statement so no point was being made :confused:
    Competing in competitive Crossfit events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

They are competing in something which they are passionate about and enjoy doing.

I don't think they are trying to make *any* point.

They are competing in something which they are passionate about and enjoy doing.

I don't think they are trying to make *any* point.

No *face palm*.. someone asked me if I was trying to make a point by asking the question. No I'm not I genuinely don't know what the position of crossfit 'athlete is or what it entails.

No *face palm*.. someone asked me if I was trying to make a point by asking the question. No I'm not I genuinely don't know what the position of crossfit 'athlete is or what it entails.

Do you know what an athlete is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

google Crossfit games

Kimmage's work isn't invalidated by anything other than that he is a clown. See recent O'Driscoll book.

Armstrong is probably some kind of sociopath or at the very leasthas some kind of personality disorder. I read his books and followed him knowing full well he was doping, just like I know the majority of the heroes in the Olympics are the same, it doesn't really change the fact he came back from his death bed to turn his body into the greatest cycling machine ever known.

In order for cycling to attempt to become dope free he had to be brought down. That just made sense. I genuinely laugh at the current claims that it is clean now, I've never seen a more closely engineered attempt at "not winning by too much" than Sky's two wins.

Bear in mind Armstrong was an American in a sport where the European's were borderline xenophobic about who was allowed to race. That added to his ruthlessness and barefaced refusal to apologise for his success or his methods made him public enemy number 1.

Tyson is an absolute hero of mine, it's a miracle he's still alive and I don't think you'll ever hear anyone talk more openly about their failings than him. He's genuinely the most honest person I've ever listened to. Others talk about their past indiscretions like they are part of some inspiring comeback tale where in the end they're the hero. Tyson just lays it all out there. He never shirks responsibility for what he's done even though he has plenty of excuses.

• Advertisement

There is the Crossfit Open, leading into the Crossfit Regionals leading into the Crossfit Games. Then there are local competitions run randomly throughout the year. If you want to compete you will get plenty of opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

When following a specific program to bring up a certain lifts numbers like Smolov or Sheikos or whatever do you then do accessory lifts to bring up any weak points you want to address that is separate from the program or what's the norm when following these kind of programs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Blacktie. wrote: »
    When following a specific program to bring up a certain lifts numbers like Smolov or Sheikos or whatever do you then do accessory lifts to bring up any weak points you want to address that is separate from the program or what's the norm when following these kind of programs?

dunno what the norm is ...
    I did smolov jr once for squat and I just did 1 day upper body during those 4 weeks - the rest of it was squating only.

dunno what the norm is ...
    I did smolov jr once for squat and I just did 1 day upper body during those 4 weeks - the rest of it was squating only.

Does the rest not suffer because of this? Also this must make for a fairly quick workout.

Does the rest not suffer because of this? Also this must make for a fairly quick workout.

Given how high the Smolov percentages are, assuming you add 5kgs each week eventually you're going to require significant rest periods between each set to get through it all.

Do Smolov to improve a specific lift and give it the focus it requires!! Otherwise choose a more general program imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

not really quick - some are quicker than others but also you need to think of recovery. Hammering your legs than many times a week can add up if you throw other stuff at it.

10 sets of 3 reps at 90% of your max can take some time.
    - that day does stick in my mind alright.

the rest prob does suffer but smolov jr is only 4 weeks - it's not gonna be a huge impact.

LuckyLloyd probably hit on the rest of what i was gonna say.

With Smolov Jnr, the 4th day of each week is 10 triples and you don't race through it. You'd be looking at somewhere in the region of 45 minutes for it.

So yeah, if you've the time then you can certainly do some upper body work.

Do you know what an athlete is?

Funnily enough I do know what that means.

Funnily enough I do know what that means.

Then apply it in the context of crossfit.

[/confusion]

With Smolov Jnr, the 4th day of each week is 10 triples and you don't race through it. You'd be looking at somewhere in the region of 45 minutes for it.

So yeah, if you've the time then you can certainly do some upper body work.

Yeah I've done it myself when I was in the very early days of intermediate but I was running something very similar to Smolov for my squat and smolov jnr on my bench. Was thinking of giving it another go once my cut is over but I'm now thinking recovery would be much more draining due to the higher total volume.

If you can do accessory lifts after a Smolov session you should donate your body for the betterment of the human race / the creation of a race of super soldiers.

Adapting to Smolov is a challenge and throwing extra work at your legs is only going to make that harder. A month down the line I can guarantee you won't be thinking "I should have done more squat accessory work" :)

Yeah I've done it myself when I was in the very early days of intermediate but I was running something very similar to Smolov for my squat and smolov jnr on my bench. Was thinking of giving it another go once my cut is over but I'm now thinking recovery would be much more draining due to the higher total volume.

Depends how you go about it. You can keep everything ticking over even on something like Smolov. Just structure it properly so you're not ending up overly fatigued.

kevpants wrote: »
    If you can do accessory lifts after a Smolov session you should donate your body for the betterment of the human race / the creation of a race of super soldiers.

Adapting to Smolov is a challenge and throwing extra work at your legs is only going to make that harder. A month down the line I can guarantee you won't be thinking "I should have done more squat accessory work" :)

I wasn't thinking accessory work for legs though. Say I was running smolov for squats and just left that as my main workout and then done accessories for upper body that I felt I'm lagging behind in relative to the rest.

Depends how you go about it. You can keep everything ticking over even on something like Smolov. Just structure it properly so you're not ending up overly fatigued.

Yeah the way I am now and for the next yearish I don't think I could take running both of them together. Unfortunately recovery won't be completely optimal as much as I'd like it to be and the workload would also be much higher with my new 1RM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

I did some bench, press and other accessory stuff while on Smolov jnr but just to about 60-70% of maxes

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement