Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Then apply it in the context of crossfit.

[/confusion]

Right so they gain sponsorship, represent their region, and take part in events that are certified and recognized, they are hero worshiped and fill small venues with supporters got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Right so they gain sponsorship, represent their region, and take part in events that are certified and recognized, they are hero worshiped and fill small venues with supporters got it.

Oh.

I thought you said you know what an athlete is.

Sad face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I wasn't thinking accessory work for legs though. Say I was running smolov for squats and just left that as my main workout and then done accessories for upper body that I felt I'm lagging behind in relative to the rest.

Whatever floats your boat. Sometimes it feels nice to do some curls or something after a tough squat session. And if squatting hurts your elbows it might be a good idea.

I just wouldn't put in place a plan to make your bench or press grow over those weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

kevpants wrote: »
    Whatever floats your boat. Sometimes it feels nice to do some curls or something after a tough squat session. And if squatting hurts your elbows it might be a good idea.

I just wouldn't put in place a plan to make your bench or press grow over those weeks.

My bench increased doing smolov. Not sure if that was Hanley's intention or not but i'm pretty pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

Ran smolov base before and had bench 3x3 in with it. All ran fine together

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I wouldn't necessarily 'expect' to make bench gains during something like smolov but I would definitely plan to get enough benching done to keep my strength where it was to begin with. For me anything less than very, very consistent/frequent and exhaustive benching means losing strength before very long at all. Bench gains seem to be the last to arrive and first to leave, for me. and I don't have an unusally massive bench.
    TLDR; do try to bench during smolov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

Does anyone else wake up needing water during nights? It happens to me almost every night occasionally a few times in one night and I'm wondering could it just be my body needing water recovery while I'm asleep or would it be a concern. It's just annoying because it breaks my sleep and I don't feel as rested.

I drink at least 2 litres of liquid a day (almost all water, rest is a coffee before training and milk) but I'd say my average is closer to 3. If I drink a lot before I sleep it just means I wake needing to pee which wouldn't help ha.

Getting my bloods done tomorrow. Anything in particular I should ask for, or should I just ask for "the works"? I don't feel as if there's anything wrong with me but there's no harm in getting things checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Ask to get your midi-chlorian levels checked. Something that most doctors don't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Paigne wrote: »
    Does anyone else wake up needing water during nights? It happens to me almost every night occasionally a few times in one night and I'm wondering could it just be my body needing water recovery while I'm asleep or would it be a concern. It's just annoying because it breaks my sleep and I don't feel as rested.

I drink at least 2 litres of liquid a day (almost all water, rest is a coffee before training and milk) but I'd say my average is closer to 3. If I drink a lot before I sleep it just means I wake needing to pee which wouldn't help ha.

drink more water

Dathai wrote: »
    Ask to get your midi-chlorian levels checked. Something that most doctors don't do.

Thank feck I googled that down before I wrote it down to tell the doctor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

You'd be getting sent to a psychiatrist after your appointment :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

gvn wrote: »
    Getting my bloods done tomorrow. Anything in particular I should ask for, or should I just ask for "the works"? I don't feel as if there's anything wrong with me but there's no harm in getting things checked.

I think there's a standard blood panel they do. It's more about what you do with the results though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

You generally have to ask to get Vit D checked as it not part of standard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Brian? wrote: »
    I think there's a standard blood panel they do. It's more about what you do with the results though.
    What stuff is on the 'standard' panel do you / does anyone happen to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What stuff is on the 'standard' panel do you / does anyone happen to know?

Full Blood Count
    Lipids
    Blood Sugar
    Kidney Function
    Liver Function
    Bone profile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Thank feck I googled that down before I wrote it down to tell the doctor!

what is the price on one of this tests?

I used the college GP so I just had to pay the transport cost, or whatever it's called, which is €15. I could have brought it out to St. James' myself and gotten it for free but didn't have the time.

I had to persuade the GP to tick as many of the boxes as possible. He wouldn't tick testosterone, though. Bit of a pain. Lipids is the only one I'm concerned about so I'm not too annoyed.

Price of the GP visit usually.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Ate and drank like an absolute pig in Vegas and lost weight :( FML

Need to re reg my gym membership this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Price of the GP visit usually.
    I expected some premium for the lab to do the work.

I expected some premium for the lab to do the work.

Never has so far.

Any time I had follow up bloods taken, it was just the €30 fee for the nurse to take them.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I lost weight over christmas :/

I have to eat so much food that if I just eat "What i like" I wont actually eat enough :( Need to myfitnesspal it and stuff myself everyday to gain mass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Back on the wagon, don't stress about it you were on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

conzy wrote: »
    I lost weight over christmas :/

I have to eat so much food that if I just eat "What i like" I wont actually eat enough :( Need to myfitnesspal it and stuff myself everyday to gain mass

Ha I know how this feels. Always lose weight around Christmas. I need to be regimental with my eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

You should have went here to get your cals up. 10,000 calorie quadruple bypass burger wouldv set you right for the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqf_SIQ3JAk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The shít I ate was a joke. Even a little marshmallow rice cake from Starbucks was like 500 calories. The thing was about 4 bites big. Ate nothing but Bacon cheese fries, chilli cheese fries, pizza, krispy creme donuts and beer! Had 2 nice meals out there but outside that, everything was pure garbage :o

Back on it this week though. Holiday mode was well and truly disengaged upon returning to a couple of hundred e-mails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

You people make me sick, if I look at pizza I put on 3 kg of pure moob fat.

I hate you :(

At least you can turn the moob fat into something...

I hate you :(

At least you can turn the moob fat into something...

Yeah coronary artery disease.

• Advertisement

Yeah coronary artery disease.

Mmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ha I know how this feels. Always lose weight around Christmas. I need to be regimental with my eating.

Same here I loose weight in the blink of an eye and takes hard work to gain anything at all.

Anyone know much about the Performance and Fitness Academy is Naas?

Thinking of giving them a go when I move up that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

One of the things I have PWO is a packet of biscuits and thats just to keep weight on

One of the things I have PWO is a packet of biscuits and thats just to keep weight on

Ah that's it, screw you guys. The metabolically gifted can go piss off. I am six weeks into a 20 week cut and reading the word biscuit make me salivate.

Ah that's it, screw you guys. The metabolically gifted can go piss off. I am six weeks into a 20 week cut and reading the word biscuit make me salivate.

Would it make you feel any better if I told you I used to be stuck at 10 1/2 stone soaking wet at 5ft 10 with a beastly bench of 30kg? My deadlift wasn't much more either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26038460

"High-dose vitamin C can boost the cancer-killing effect of chemotherapy in the lab and mice, research suggests." :)

"Given by injection, it could potentially be a safe, effective and low-cost treatment for ovarian and other cancers, say US
    scientists." :)

"One potential hurdle is that pharmaceutical companies are unlikely to fund trials of intravenous vitamin C because there is no ability to patent natural products.

"Because vitamin C has no patent potential, its development will not be supported by pharmaceutical companies," said lead researcher Qi Chen." :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

JJayoo wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26038460

"High-dose vitamin C can boost the cancer-killing effect of chemotherapy in the lab and mice, research suggests." :)

"Given by injection, it could potentially be a safe, effective and low-cost treatment for ovarian and other cancers, say US
    scientists." :)

"One potential hurdle is that pharmaceutical companies are unlikely to fund trials of intravenous vitamin C because there is no ability to patent natural products.

"Because vitamin C has no patent potential, its development will not be supported by pharmaceutical companies," said lead researcher Qi Chen." :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That's just economics dude, nothing to do with evil corporations.

Also, they only had a 22 person sample size, so the inferences could well be a load of hooky-poo.

I wouldn't be too worried about it tbh, there is a huge amount of money being invested in promising cancer research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

That's just economics dude, nothing to do with evil corporations.

Also, they only had a 22 person sample size, so the inferences could well be a load of hooky-poo.

I wouldn't be too worried about it tbh, there is a huge amount of money being invested in promising cancer research.

I'm afraid that's exactly what it is.

http://www.einstein.yu.edu/news/releases/907/study-finds-vitamin-c-can-kill-drug-resistant-tb/

"In a striking, unexpected discovery, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University have determined that vitamin C kills drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) bacteria in laboratory culture. The finding suggests that vitamin C added to existing TB drugs could shorten TB therapy, and it highlights a new area for drug design. The study was published today in the online journal Nature"

"We don’t know whether vitamin C will work in humans, but we now have a rational basis for doing a clinical trial,” said Dr. Jacobs. “It also helps that we know vitamin C is inexpensive, widely available and very safe to use. At the very least, this work shows us a new mechanism that we can exploit to attack TB.”

Unfortunately the trials that Dr Jacobs asks for go directly against the desire of big pharma. Imagine a cheap safe patent free treatment :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Evil would be an attempt to block or prevent the vitamin C trial. Refusal to undertake clinical research in respect of a loss making enterprise is economics.

• Advertisement

Would it make you feel any better if I told you I used to be stuck at 10 1/2 stone soaking wet at 5ft 10 with a beastly bench of 30kg? My deadlift wasn't much more either

Just goes to show, people are totally different. Be it GVT, or Smolov, paelo or IF. Weight watchers, educogym, cardio or weights. Your basic genetics have a huge effect of your body composition. I think that sometimes my idea of restrictive diet is anothers idea of stuffing their face. Personally I have become totally unconcerned with the mass I move in the gym. You might have been getting better muscle response with your 30kg that I am with 100kg. I have to say I envy the skinny chaps, all veins and 6 pack. Maybe they envy me, I doubt it. Still goto keep pushing towards the goals.

Just goes to show, people are totally different. Be it GVT, or Smolov, paelo or IF. Weight watchers, educogym, cardio or weights. Your basic genetics have a huge effect of your body composition. I think that sometimes my idea of restrictive diet is anothers idea of stuffing their face. Personally I have become totally unconcerned with the mass I move in the gym. You might have been getting better muscle response with your 30kg that I am with 100kg. I have to say I envy the skinny chaps, all veins and 6 pack. Maybe they envy me, I doubt it. Still goto keep pushing towards the goals.

What are you saying here? You have become totally focussed on aesthetics above all else?

Genetics is massive, I could see most of my ribs until I was 9 even though all of my fluid intake was sugary soft drinks.
    As an adult I was a weak as pi$$ for years, even after starting training and I was jealous/in awe of some of the monsters I'd see moving serious weights while at the same time I accidently had a 6 pack

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What are you saying here? You have become totally focussed on aesthetics above all else?

No but personally I feel 100% effort with 30kg is equal to 100% effort with 60kg it just depends on your capacity. Lads are too quick to deride themselves about lifting small weight.

On the subject of Vitamin C:

Why vitamins may be bad for your workouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

How do people manage to do fat grip chin ups? I can't even hold by BW for a second.

I blame my tiny hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sangre wrote: »
    How do people manage to do fat grip chin ups? I can't even hold by BW for a second.
    Try negatives or just one hand on one of the fat gripz with the other on the regular bit of the bar.

If you do not grip with your thumbs much (or at all) you can have your hand right over the top making it a lot easier, it can get to a point where its not much harder at all, so no extra difficulty but it might get you used to a thick bar like that.

You can also just isometrically squeeze the grips while not on the bar. My bar is quite wide so the fat gripz open out a lot on it. I also got the bigger version the red ones, can only manage 1 chin with those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

No but personally I feel 100% effort with 30kg is equal to 100% effort with 60kg it just depends on your capacity. Lads are too quick to deride themselves about lifting small weight.

I thing Kia Greene said, " bodybuilding is not about the weight your lifting it's about keeping the muscle contracted long enough" or somthing like that?

dylbert wrote: »
    I thing Kia Greene said, " bodybuilding is not about the weight your lifting it's about keeping the muscle contracted long enough" or somthing like that?

All pros make their living talking out of their ass. This is just another example.

dor843088 wrote: »
    All pros make their living talking out of their ass. This is just another example.

In what way?

It's not just about moving a heavier weight.

If the quality of contraction isn't there, the heavier weight might not be as effective as a lighter one, no?

In what way?

It's not just about moving a heavier weight.

If the quality of contraction isn't there, the heavier weight might not be as effective as a lighter one, no?

Im sure you are aware that progressive overload is how you build muscle and you cant progressivly overload for very long without increasing the weight. You wont get significantly stronger without hypertrophy and vice versa .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement