Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

So, after seeing someone in the gym sumo deadlift 140kg I'm pretty sure my goal is totally unrealistic in the next 18+ months :)

Never compare yourself to anyone else in the gym. It brings nothing positive to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Why I don't recommend SS

7ClLofP.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why I don't recommend SS

7ClLofP.png

Being kinda strong is cool though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The lad was built like the gym itself. His quads and calfs were bigger than any part of my body. His form was really impressive too.

Maybe if I posted a picture of myself you'd agree with me :pac:

Still going to try for it regardless!

You have no idea what percentage of his max that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

7am Training = Mad appetite and sleepy desk syndrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

ronanc15 wrote: »
    You get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I was lying face down on a bench in a pool of sweat this morning. If I had curled my legs up I would have fallen asleep.

brownej wrote: »
    You get used to it.

Not if you keep changing it up :)
    I was lying face down on a bench in a pool of sweat this morning. If I had curled my legs up I would have fallen asleep.

Nearly saw my breakfast reappear. :o Slightly intense one, first time in a long time it took that much out of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Thursdays I do 6am training and then training at 7.30pm. To say I get absolutely nothing done on a Friday is an understatement.

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Thursdays I do 6am training and then training at 7.30pm. To say I get absolutely nothing done on a Friday is an understatement.

I know the feeling, Tuesday's & Thursdays, 7am & 5.30pm each day. Staying awake in work is an achievement :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

So, after seeing someone in the gym sumo deadlift 140kg I'm pretty sure my goal is totally unrealistic in the next 18+ months :)

Within 3 months of my first deadlift ever I lifted 150kg at 75kg bw. You will be shocked at how much you will be able to lift once your used to it. Remember to train your glutes and hams to give you the power base to start from

stuchyg wrote: »
    Within 3 months of my first deadlift ever I lifted 150kg at 75kg bw. You will be shocked at how much you will be able to lift once your used to it. Remember to train your glutes and hams to give you the power base to start from

Good tip there, I neglected my hams initially and as a result I'm having to double my efforts to give me that power off the floor

Doing it right in the first place is much easier than trying to retrospectively fix an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Why I don't recommend SS

7ClLofP.png

That is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Literally mopping tea off my face/keyboard after that.

It's so true. The growth response in your legs if you concentrate on "the big 3" is so much greater than the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"oh my, a whole steer!" :D
    I was lying face down on a bench in a pool of sweat this morning.
    I had to have a shower straight after a shower the other day, just broke a crazy sweat drying myself off after the first.

You know its hot when your coconut oil has turned to liquid in the press...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

There's actually a pic of a dude who looks exactly like the guy in that cartoon. It was up on 4chan a while ago. Can't post it as it's NSFW.

This is still the best one I've ever seen though:
    1269821496383.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Sickening T-Rex lower body

PjkOS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I'm amazed how quickly I have went from "Ohhhh, I can't wait to get a pizza and chill out infront of the TV after work" to "Will work hurry up and finish so I can go to the gym!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

kevpants wrote: »
    That is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Literally mopping tea off my face/keyboard after that.

It's so true. The growth response in your legs if you concentrate on "the big 3" is so much greater than the rest.

Its gold. Needs more love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

kevpants wrote: »

And its ripped from Oatmeal comic about a runner, not SS.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

jugger0 wrote: »
    Sickening T-Rex lower body

PjkOS.jpg

His arms are so jacked from all that squatting.

Hanley wrote: »
    His arms are so jacked from all that squatting.

You got to squat big to make your arms grow, avoid training them directly. Common knowledge no?

Stiff Leg DL - Deficits approx 3" . When Im doing these my back is starting to round slightly as Im just above touching the floor.

Should I be only going as low as I can maintain the correct back position or is the full depth key (It makes sense that it would be, just want to clarify)

Stiff Leg DL - Deficits approx 3" . When Im doing these my back is starting to round slightly as Im just above touching the floor.

Should I be only going as low as I can maintain the correct back position or is the full depth key (It makes sense that it would be, just want to clarify)

I program all types for people ranging from complete arch with no rounding to complete spinal articulations.

Full articulation version for those interested. As an aside I think a lot of people could benefit from this exercise. I don't recommend going super heavy on it as a reference I deadlift ~200kg at 85kg bw and use 40kg in the jefferson curl for sets of ten,

Interesting, and in what scenario/why would you program people for full spinal articulation i.e. is there some type of defined benefit

Interesting, and in what scenario/why would you program people for full spinal articulation i.e. is there some type of defined benefit

For different reasons, some people it would help to develop end range of motion strength and flexibility so it would be used with my acrobats/contortion clients. For others it would be used to help strengthen the smaller musculature connecting the vertabrae, multifidi, rotorares. Can also be used to increase propriorecetpion in the spine for people who have trouble finding and holding a neutral spine.

Also doing it and holding the streched position is a nice fascial stretch for the posterior fascia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Also doing it and holding the streched position is a nice fascial stretch for the posterior fascia.

I have some nerve issues in my lower back/upper glute and my physio has me doing stretches like that over and over. Get good relief from it too. Anything with straight back doesn't hit it, have to round lower back to get the desired effect.

Vegeta wrote: »
    I have some nerve issues in my lower back/upper glute and my physio has me doing stretches like that over and over. Get good relief from it too. Anything with straight back doesn't hit it, have to round lower back to get the desired effect.

You'll probably find a lot of benefit to doing the stretch with you toes raised up about 2cm higher then your heels and keeping your chin tucked to the chest. You might also want to look into nerve flossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You'll probably find a lot of benefit to doing the stretch with you toes raised up about 2cm higher then your heels and keeping your chin tucked to the chest. You might also want to look into nerve flossing.

Spot on. Doing both of those as part of the prescribed re-hab. Feels horrible but gives good relief. Have hurt it 3-4 times in the last 3 years. Sprinting caused the initial pain/issue but have aggravated it dead lifting twice (have no confidence dead lifting any more as a result) and good mornings once I think.

Hoping the flossing makes me less likely to injure myself longer term.

What you'll more then likely find is you have an adhesion pressing on a local nerve junction which is stopping the nerve gliding properly, if you can track it down and relieve it then you'll probably clear up the issue. Tracking it down might be an issue, my guess is somewhere in the lower back in the QL or along the illiac crest. This is educated speculation though and might be worth going to see a hardcore sports masseur or NMT person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

"Dubai offers gram of gold for every kilo of weight residents lose in fitness drive"

Good motivation :D

"From today, for the next 30 days, participants can sign up and for every kilo they lose, they will be given a gram of gold, worth about €35, as long as you lose at least two kilos. If you do, you earn the wonderful title of ‘golden loser"

http://www.joe.ie/health/health-news/dubai-offers-gram-of-gold-for-every-kilo-of-weight-residents-lose-in-fitness-drive/

Had a go off a 180kg "super yoke" today. Good craic, but theres defo a nack to it. Could make **** of your knees fairly easy if it goes pair shaped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Zombienosh wrote: »

Like a true pro you want the workout...without the work....deadly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Got a medical done for a white collar boxing event I'm doing for charity.

Bp was 97/56 and my heart rate was 48 BPM.

Really happy with those figures :)

Dermighty wrote: »
    Got a medical done for a white collar boxing event I'm doing for charity.

Bp was 97/56 and my heart rate was 48 BPM.

Really happy with those figures :)

Would you have considered yourself to be super fit before you got the test? Those numbers would be a cause for concern otherwise!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Would you have considered yourself to be super fit before you got the test? Those numbers would be a cause for concern otherwise!

@ 97kg and 6'3": I train a minimum of 6 times a week, clocking up 14 hours or so of training each week between boxing and BJJ. I wouldn't be happy running 10km but overall I'm the fittest person I know (ie: I'm not strongest in any one area). The figures surprised me a lot, I feel totally relaxed all the time when I'm not exercising and when I exercise is when I feel best.

@ 97kg and 6'3": I train a minimum of 6 times a week, clocking up 14 hours or so of training each week between boxing and BJJ. .

not the whitest of collars really are ya:confused:

@ 97kg and 6'3": I train a minimum of 6 times a week, clocking up 14 hours or so of training each week between boxing and BJJ. I wouldn't be happy running 10km but overall I'm the fittest person I know (ie: I'm not strongest in any one area). The figures surprised me a lot, I feel totally relaxed all the time when I'm not exercising and when I exercise is when I feel best.

Jaysus, whoever the other 'white collar' dude is, he's ****ed! :p

Fair enough, nice one!! A health marker like that is therefore a real validation of your lifestyle and stress levels.

Yeah pretty sure that disqualifies you from the auld White collar category. Out of curiousity did you tell the organizers you had the fighting experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeah pretty sure that disqualifies you from the auld White collar category. Out of curiousity did you tell the organizers you had the fighting experience?

I don't think it matters really I was at a white collar event on Saturday now some of the fights looked like brawls while other were controlled and fluid fights, my friend who was fighting was fighting someone who is currently considering going amateur.

I don't think it matters really I was at a white collar event on Saturday now some of the fights looked like brawls while other were controlled and fluid fights, my friend who was fighting was fighting someone who is currently considering going amateur.

IMO They shouldn't have been allowed participate in the camp then. That is the general rule of thumb with any of the WCB camps I've assisted with. Previous fighting experience rules the person out of participating. Otherwise the matchmaking is skewed

Also, I don't understand why you would want to. If you are an experienced fighter it's not an achievement to beat someone who is only fighting 8 weeks or whatever. Go join a normal club.

Have heard of guys/girls lying about having no previous experience on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

IMO They shouldn't have been allowed participate in the camp then. That is the general rule of thumb with any of the WCB camps I've assisted with. Previous fighting experience rules the person out of participating. Otherwise the matchmaking is skewed

Also, I don't understand why you would want to. If you are an experienced fighter it's not an achievement to beat someone who is only fighting 8 weeks or whatever. Go join a normal club.

Have heard of guys/girls lying about having no previous experience on a number of occasions.

In fairness in the one I attended on Saturday night everyone was fairly even matched.

There were people who clearly only had a few weeks training paired against likewise and you could see it from skill levels but those that were capable boxers were paired against likewise.

There was no ridiculously uneven fights.

In fairness in the one I attended on Saturday night everyone was fairly even matched.

There were people who clearly only had a few weeks training paired against likewise and you could see it from skill levels but those that were capable boxers were paired against likewise.

There was no ridiculously uneven fights.

That's fair enough - and that works if it has been declared from day 1.

If not you could have the likes of me getting the beat down from the next Muhammad Ali!

I had never put on a pair of boxing gloves before three weeks ago and the only fights I've had are BJJ fights.

The guy I'll almost definitely be fighting is 6'6" and 110kg so I figure I'm not sandbagging :P

People are paired by ability, weight and height. Fighting someone 10+kg heavier and 3 or 4 inches taller than me doesn't bother me.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus, whoever the other 'white collar' dude is, he's ****ed! :p

Fair enough, nice one!! A health marker like that is therefore a real validation of your lifestyle and stress levels.

It really feels like a victory for me, 6 years ago I was 146kg, pre diabetic and I'd a 50" waist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Have any tall people here had trouble doing squats?

I'm 6ft 3 and I literally can't do any squats. Not even bodyweight.

I just fall over backwards.

I've tried pointing my toes out and spreading my legs more but when I spread them enough to be able to actually do a squat (which is about double shoulder width) they don't feel like they're doing anything and I don't even know if they're working the same muscles or if it'd put strain on my knees or whatever.
    I've tried doing them shoulder width while holding on to things (door frames for example) but then it feels like my arms are doing more work holding me in place than my legs are.

In general my balance is pants. I can barely stand up straight without falling over if a stiff breeze hits me.
    Any tips?

Gbear wrote: »
    Have any tall people here had trouble doing squats?

I'm 6ft 3 and I literally can't do any squats. Not even bodyweight.

I just fall over backwards.

I've tried pointing my toes out and spreading my legs more but when I spread them enough to be able to actually do a squat (which is about double shoulder width) they don't feel like they're doing anything and I don't even know if they're working the same muscles or if it'd put strain on my knees or whatever.
    I've tried doing them shoulder width while holding on to things (door frames for example) but then it feels like my arms are doing more work holding me in place than my legs are.

In general my balance is pants. I can barely stand up straight without falling over if a stiff breeze hits me.
    Any tips?

I'm the same height and I was the same as you at one stage. I couldn't even hold a squat position at parallel — my mobility was just too bad. I spent weeks stretching my hamstrings, adductors, quads, and hip flexors. I found the doorway stretch and the couch stretch great for my hamstrings and hip flexors, respectively. Search on Youtube for each stretch to see how they're done. I also began to foam roll regularly. Once I could get into a full squat position, I spent a lot of time sitting in it. I might spend 10 minutes watching telly just holding a full ATG squat, get up, shake out and see where was tight, and then work on whatever area I thought was lacking. After a few weeks of this I could comfortably get into a parallel squat position, and after a little more work I could comfortably squat ATG. Ankle mobility might also be an issue.

Start doing box squats

I had never put on a pair of boxing gloves before three weeks ago and the only fights I've had are BJJ fights.

The guy I'll almost definitely be fighting is 6'6" and 110kg so I figure I'm not sandbagging :P

People are paired by ability, weight and height. Fighting someone 10+kg heavier and 3 or 4 inches taller than me doesn't bother me.

It really feels like a victory for me, 6 years ago I was 146kg, pre diabetic and I'd a 50" waist.

well if your boxing\bjj 3 weeks then fair enough, just above you gave the impression you were in white collar and an experienced boxer with a lot of boxing training behind you, you'd wanna hope your opponent aint sandbagging either!!

• Advertisement

xgtdec wrote: »
    well if your boxing\bjj 3 weeks then fair enough, just above you gave the impression you were in white collar and an experienced boxer with a lot of boxing training behind you, you'd wanna hope your opponent aint sandbagging either!!

Boxing 3 weeks.

BJJ 2 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement