Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dor843088 wrote: »
    Im sure you are aware that progressive overload is how you build muscle and you cant progressivly overload for very long without increasing the weight. You wont get significantly stronger without hypertrophy and vice versa .

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

My point isn't that you shouldn't increase weight but that if you're moving a weight that's too heavy you're probably getting less value out of it for the muscle.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

My point isn't that you shouldn't increase weight but that if you're moving a weight that's too heavy you're probably getting less value out of it for the muscle.

I found this with shrugs in particular. I would shrug 100kg and have no doms or feel like they had been worked. I dropped to 70kg and was able to do slow controlled reps with a bigger range of motion and had a lot of doms and got stronger gradually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

I know thats not the point you were making . It seemed to be kai greens point tho . And cheating on a rep (bouncing or using momentum etc) is essentially lightening the weight.

dor843088 wrote: »
    I know thats not the point you were making . It seemed to be kai greens point tho . And cheating on a rep (bouncing or using momentum etc) is essentially lightening the weight.

Kai Greene's point is (usually) about working the muscle as opposed to moving the weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lidl have some workout items coming up
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-D8B843EF-49F25D83/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?id=90

The suspension trainer looks really weak, the metal connection things make it look like it would not take your full weight and be just for doing rows with partial body weight on it. Might take the full weight but has no limit mentioned.

The removable chinup bar does not have the additional horizontal bar or handles on it, many do not.

I mean what this guy is holding, which make it more stable
    chinupbar_lg_alt02.jpg

The dumbell says fits 30mm holes, this could be just a rounded value, it is usually lower than 30mm, but it could feasibly mean the bar is thicker than normal, and some standard plates might not fit it. I think some old thread had people with standard plates that did not fit a bar.

Kai Greene's point is (usually) about working the muscle as opposed to moving the weight.

Thats fair enough but it seemed to me like he was saying you dont have to lift "heavy" (relative to yourself) to build muscle. Imo an exercise is done the way its done (proper form) and thats it . Proper form should be a given although it clearly isnt in most gyms . Enter the half squat and the bench bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Is "shocking the muscle" or "shocking the body" by doing different exercises to get better results an actual thing or is it just nonsense?

Have come across these terms a few times and was wondering if the phrase "evaluate your routine every X weeks/months and make changes if necessary" would be the equivalent.

"Shocking" just sounds a bit broscience to me....but i could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

It's all about putting the muscle under tension/ time under said tension, this can be done by increasing the weight, slower reps, stricter form, longer sets (rest pause, drop sets etc) constant tension and numerous other ways

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Is "shocking the muscle" or "shocking the body" by doing different exercises to get better results an actual thing or is it just nonsense?

Have come across these terms a few times and was wondering if the phrase "evaluate your routine every X weeks/months and make changes if necessary" would be the equivalent.

It's just a way of saying that you should change your workout if you have plateaued, as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A noob here but was reading about this recently and it sounds reasonable, if you do the same stuff you get more efficient at doing the same exercise so you end up putting less work into your routine.
    Last week I did my gym intro with a trainer and I felt nearily ill afterwards even though I had been going to the gym for about 6 weeks prior so id say its good to shake it up

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

From watching some of Kai Greene's documentaries I think he usually mentions the mind-muscle connection as the foundation for building muscle. So starting relatively light and make sure you are getting the full contraction etc before adding weight. To me this is an extension of getting the form correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought sort of meant getting roughly the same muscle group to work in a different way, which may incorporate other stabilizer muscles, which might then be of benefit to the original muscle group.

e.g. I had really low bench press ability, I simply never did them, but I could do relatively heavy weighted dips as it was my main chest exercise. If I plateaued on the heavy dips and took up bench pressing, and then switched back again I might have more easily got past the dip plateau. The bench pressing might have incorporated & strengthened smaller muscles which benefited the dips.

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought sort of meant getting roughly the same muscle group to work in a different way, which may incorporate other stabilizer muscles, which might then be of benefit to the original muscle group.

e.g. I had really low bench press ability, I simply never did them, but I could do relatively heavy weighted dips as it was my main chest exercise. If I plateaued on the heavy dips and took up bench pressing, and then switched back again I might have more easily got past the dip plateau. The bench pressing might have incorporated & strengthened smaller muscles which benefited the dips.

Have you got a big chest?

It can. But it can also be about changing the number of reps and sets you do when you've been doing a programme with set numbers of reps and sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

From what I remember the point Kai Greene was making was to use a weight which allows you to control the eccentric cycle of the lift, if you cant control the eccentric for 3sec the weight is too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

ronanc15 wrote: »
    From watching some of Kai Greene's documentaries I think he usually mentions the mind-muscle connection as the foundation for building muscle. So starting relatively light and make sure you are getting the full contraction etc before adding weight. To me this is an extension of getting the form correct

I enjoyed his documentaries but when he starts on about the 'power of the mind' stuff it bores the **** out of me.

link_2007 wrote: »
    I enjoyed his documentaries but when he starts on about the 'power of the mind' stuff it bores the **** out of me.

He goes on a bit about it but I suppose those lads have to be in the zone 24/7. It's a side effect of that really. I do agree with him about the importance of having that focus though

I haven't seen/read much of his stuff but I just got the impression the mind element was visualising and feeling the muscles working on a lift, like lats and triceps on a bench press and the like.

But, like I said, I haven't listened to/read much of his stuff so it could be a lot worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Simply winning competitions mightn't pay the bills so pretty much every commerically successful guru of lifting/fitness/diet/health has to come up with "rly unique" sexy new ways of just saying something like "lift with good form". or just straight up plug varying degrees of snake-oil supps.

Anyone with an interest in emulating Kai Greene should spend very very little time worrying about crap like focussed time under tension and lots of time worrying about acquiring large amounts of exogenous hormones and good food.

• Advertisement

Simply winning competitions mightn't pay the bills so pretty much every commerically successful guru of lifting/fitness/diet/health has to come up with "rly unique" sexy new ways of just saying something like "lift with good form". or just straight up plug varying degrees of snake-oil supps.

Anyone with an interest in emulating Kai Greene should spend very very little time worrying about crap like focussed time under tension and lots of time worrying about acquiring large amounts of exogenous hormones and good food.

I've heard from plenty of Irish bodybuilders too though. They mightn't call it a mind muscle connection but their description amounts to the same thing. I don't think that there's any value in describing time under tension as crap btw. Increasing time under tension by tempo controlled movements is a commonly used training method. Whatever works for folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Most just end up looking like this though:
    http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net/05/d89c9078f811e1bcc4123138165f92/file/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-25th-anniversary-collection-20090810015115137.jpg

Baldness, acne, unnatural skin colour and wearing ****ty bandannas.

I've heard from plenty of Irish bodybuilders too though. They mightn't call it a mind muscle connection but their description amounts to the same thing. I don't think that there's any value in describing time under tension as crap btw. Increasing time under tension by tempo controlled movements is a commonly used training method. Whatever works for folks!
    Sorry, I don't mean to say that making sure your muscles spend time under tension is crap. I'd be practically saying using your muscles is crap then. I was more referring to the focus part. If you're telling your brain to tell your nerves to tell your muscles to lift stuff I suspect you're already doing everything right and there's no secret/magic to it left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Skeptical enough about this. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Dathai wrote: »
    http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net/05/d89c9078f811e1bcc4123138165f92/file/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-25th-anniversary-collection-20090810015115137.jpg

Yea but pizza for every meal.

Every cloud etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Dathai wrote: »

teenage%2Bmutant%2Bninja%2Bturtles%2B2014%2Bmovie%2B05.jpg

^^ better than the new movie. They aren't even mutants :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Try negatives or just one hand on one of the fat gripz with the other on the regular bit of the bar.

If you do not grip with your thumbs much (or at all) you can have your hand right over the top making it a lot easier, it can get to a point where its not much harder at all, so no extra difficulty but it might get you used to a thick bar like that.

You can also just isometrically squeeze the grips while not on the bar. My bar is quite wide so the fat gripz open out a lot on it. I also got the bigger version the red ones, can only manage 1 chin with those.
    I'm working on just doing fat grip holds at the end of some sessions. I don't have any strong urge to do fat grip chin-ups but just was surprised how difficult they were considering grip has never been an issue for me to date (although my new routine is changing that).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Thinking of investing in lifting shoes.

Adipower are out of my price range unfortunately

Whats the difference between Power lifts 2 and Power Perfect 2 ? Both the same price on D8 fitness, although the powerlift 2's are on adidas.ie for € 77

What about other brands?

Should I buy from abroad or will I get lashed for customs ?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Thinking of investing in lifting shoes.

Adipower are out of my price range unfortunately

Whats the difference between Power lifts and Power Perfects ?

What about other brands?

Should I buy from abroad or will I get lashed for customs ?

Thanks guys

The powerlifts have a slightly lower heel than the power perfects. I also think think the heel is slightly more compressible on the powerlifts.

Yes you would definitely be better off buying from somewhere in the EU. There's loads of online stores selling weightlifting shoes on this side of the pond so there's no real need to be looking to ship something in from the states.

PowerLifts have a more compressible sole so I'd give them a miss. They're a bit cheaper than Power Perfects but you'd be better served by investing the extra few quid in Power Perfects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I think the power lifts are more of a hybrid shoe for crossfit and the likes, power perfects are a proper lifting shoe. I have power perfect which are great for lifting in but a bit hard and stiff for anything else.

I'd say the power perfects are the best value for money shoe out there, allot of Olympic level lifters use them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'll probably go with Power Perfects so.

€110 in D8 which is cheaper than I've seen elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone recommend any documentaries on anything fitness that's interesting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Anyone recommend any documentaries on anything fitness that's interesting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbeb6qB6KPo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

What's it about?

1988 Olympic 100m final that Ben Johnson won and then failed a drugs test. It's excellent.

Those 30 for 30 are great documentaries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Those 30 for 30 are great documentaries

I watched that 'Broke' 30 for 30 and thought it was fairly boring. Going to watch a few others as they are meant to be good though. Any ideas which are the best ones? I thought Broke was meant to be a good one but...!

Cheers for those lads.

jive wrote: »
    I watched that 'Broke' 30 for 30 and thought it was fairly boring. Going to watch a few others as they are meant to be good though. Any ideas which are the best ones? I thought Broke was meant to be a good one but...!

Every-espn-30-for-30-film-ranked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭COH

Greg Marinovich project was my favourite 30 for 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Marcus Dupree and Bo Jackson ones are pretty good..

There's also the 30 for 30 short's:
    http://espn.go.com/30for30/shorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thread over on AH,
    Somebody is claiming that all pro BBers, pro PLs, sprinters etc do squats in the smith machine. He backs this up by saying he is a former pro PL. Lots of people don't believe him, cue the nonsense.

Mellor wrote: »
    Thread over on AH,
    Somebody is claiming that all pro BBers, pro PLs, sprinters etc do squats in the smith machine. He backs this up by saying he is a former pro PL. Lots of people don't believe him, cue the nonsense.

I'm sorry I ever mentioned it in the first place...

That AH thread... never seen so much whining in my life. Not to mention all the rationalising taking it easy in the gym / cryin' bout what an intimidating animal anyone with so much as a bicep is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Saw someone in my gym the other day doing neck curls with the leg curl machine. His diet and routine must be seriously in check if he needs to include neck curls to break past that plateau.

Also, I've basically given up putting weights back in my gym. Absolute pointless. I stil strip the bar though. Nevertheless, I'm becoming everything I ever hated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Just watched 'The Thin Line'.

Downhill skiing documentary. Highly recommend. Those boys and girls have balls of titanium.

Couldn't watch some of the crashes. 150 kph with nothing on but a leotard and a pīss pot helmet is almost insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Did anyone see the documentary on placebos on BBC last night?

Did anyone see the documentary on placebos on BBC last night?

Yeah. Except I had to look away when the chap was having his wisdom tooth out with no anaesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Sangre wrote: »
    Saw someone in my gym the other day doing neck curls with the leg curl machine. His diet and routine must be seriously in check if he needs to include neck curls to break past that plateau.

Did he look like a front row rugby player?

I've seen them use these
    http://www.fitnesszone.com/product/MA307V.html

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote: »

Also, I've basically given up putting weights back in my gym. Absolute pointless. I stil strip the bar though. Nevertheless, I'm becoming everything I ever hated.

I lost it at a dude who didn't put 150kg of plates back after stripping the bar before. Complete bellend of a thing to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement