Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I lost it at a dude who didn't put 150kg of plates back after stripping the bar before. Complete bellend of a thing to do.
    Well, I do put them back - on the floor exactly where I found them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I eyeball the bejesus out of anyone who doesn't strip the bar.

Apparently my stink eye is very affective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Show them your guns and say 'You're gonna be the next victim' and they'll understand :pac:

@Sangre: if you found them right in the middle of the floor, would you put them back there?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

I'm sure you've some stink eye indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Ive trained all over dublin over the years and the gym Im currently at the last year is very strict for putting weights back and stripping the bars. Everyone also adheres to this too. (leg press though still gets ignored)

• Advertisement

Show them your guns and say 'You're gonna be the next victim' and they'll understand :pac:

@Sangre: if you found them right in the middle of the floor, would you put them back there?

I'll do that next.

...and be laughed out of the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

(leg press though still gets ignored)

Well it is just plate rack in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I'd say all the lads think I'm a mega-b!tch cos of this. I also give stink eye to those who loiter around weights/racks etc... blatantly not doing any actual work.

I'm gonna send you some pics of my stink eye DWG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I'm gonna send you some pics of my stink eye DWG.

spongebob-23989610449.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Dathai wrote: »
    spongebob-23989610449.jpeg

That was my face tonight when the ass rowing in the squat rack was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

For those of you who haven't witnessed it, Stench's stink eye is epic. If you are in the same gym as her at any stage, put the plates back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Washing your hands after visiting the loo might help with the stink eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wanted to post this in Strengths Sports, but couldn't find an off topic thread over there - CBA starting anew thread of a quick question.

In regards to cutting water for a comp. What would be a decent amount to aim for for your first time.
    Obviously bigger guys can cut more water. So lets say somebody competing at 70kg-ish.
    I'd assume experienced level guys could push this to 8kg+, but whats a decent amount for a first time, looking for that sweet spot between a manageable cut and being above the upper limit on the day.

Whats a decent number for max-rep full ROM push-ups? Not looking to train them but just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Mellor wrote: »
    I wanted to post this in Strengths Sports, but couldn't find an off topic thread over there - CBA starting anew thread of a quick question.

In regards to cutting water for a comp. What would be a decent amount to aim for for your first time.
    Obviously bigger guys can cut more water. So lets say somebody competing at 70kg-ish.
    I'd assume experienced level guys could push this to 8kg+, but whats a decent amount for a first time, looking for that sweet spot between a manageable cut and being above the upper limit on the day.
    If we're talking actually just depleting water and glycogen, 8kg is a serious amount. Would be very difficult for anyone under 100kg to manage that. I'm no expert but even to make 90kg I wouldn't be trying to cut more than 3-4kg in terms of fluids/glycogen etc

Sangre wrote: »
    Whats a decent number for max-rep full ROM push-ups? Not looking to train them but just curious.

50? At least I hope it's 50 because I tested mine last week and got 52 (chest to floor, full scap protraction at top).

Water, glycogen, food, whatever you can squeeze out.
    Basically whatever weight you can lose 48hours before weigh/in, and put back on in the next 12-24 hours.
    Cut carbs, Water load, restrict sodium, sweat it out. Weigh-in and then load back up on carbs, salt, water.

For 8kg, I was taking big guys, who've done it a lot. ie 225-205lbs is pretty standard in elite MMA, that's 9kg.
    Just curious what lads here who a bit of exp manage, Kev, COH, DaZa, Hanley etc. and how smaller lads get on

I cut from maybe 94kg to 89.9999 in 2012 anyway. Didn't do a crazy amount of sweating, cut carbs etc from a few days before, water from 48 hrs before if I remember right (or was it 36? forget). It wasn't a drastic cut even though I barely made it, I just didn't cut that hard. I didn't replenish as cleverly or fully as I could have I think. Not bringing a ton of food with me on the day being a fool mistake

I've heard it said that, apart from the fact that it's just the best of the best doing what they do best, the drastic extent of the cuts in pro MMA is a little more feasible to replenish because of it not being a pure strength sport. Dunno how much truth there is to that though. Gonna need ur endurance fuels too, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

gvn wrote: »
    50? At least I hope it's 50 because I tested mine last week and got 52 (chest to floor, full scap protraction at top).

I'd say 50 proper push-ups would be at the higher end. Most people do them wrong so to do them correctly I'd say around 20+ would be good starting off. Obviously if you trained specifically for it you'd expect higher numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What do you weigh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

If we're talking actually just depleting water and glycogen, 8kg is a serious amount. Would be very difficult for anyone under 100kg to manage that. I'm no expert but even to make 90kg I wouldn't be trying to cut more than 3-4kg in terms of fluids/glycogen etc
    Water, glycogen, food, whatever you can squeeze out.
    Basically whatever weight you can lose 48hours before weigh/in, and put back on in the next 12-24 hours.
    Cut carbs, Water load, restrict sodium, sweat it out. Weigh-in and then load back up on carbs, salt, water.

For 8kg, I was taking big guys, who've done it a lot. ie 225-205lbs is pretty standard in elite MMA, that's 9kg.
    Just curious what lads here who a bit of exp manage, Kev, COH, DaZa, Hanley etc. and how smaller lads get on
    I cut from maybe 94kg to 89.9999 in 2012 anyway. Didn't do a crazy amount of sweating, cut carbs etc from a few days before, water from 48 hrs before if I remember right (or was it 36? forget). It wasn't a drastic cut even though I barely made it, I just didn't cut that hard. I didn't replenish as cleverly or fully as I could have I think. Not bringing a ton of food with me on the day being a fool mistake
    I've heard it said that, apart from the fact that it's just the best of the best doing what they do best, the drastic extent of the cuts in pro MMA is a little more feasible to replenish because of it not being a pure strength sport. Dunno how much truth there is to that though. Gonna need ur endurance fuels too, like.

As far as I know, a big limiting factor is recovery in time for competition. The elite MMA guys get hooked up to an IV immediately after making weight, which is a much more efficient way of rehydrating and replenishing glycogen than oral consumption.

I have no experience in cutting BTW, but from a common sense point of view, I'd err on the side of caution for a first go at it. The extra weight won't do you a huge amount of good if you're only 85% recovered when you have to compete.

I barely exceeded what was my 10x3 squat max at the end of the training cycle, put up a woeful bench (again didn't even match my training max) in that comp anyway. I couldn't say for sure how much that was due to being a bit depleted or just inexperience though. I do know I had mad random muscle cramps during and for a week or two (somehow) after though. Electrolytes must've got real messed up. Watch out for sodium balance I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Does anywhere do cheap/good value flax seed?

I've been buying Linwood's in the supermarkets but I'd rather not pay €7ish for 400gm if at all avoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

Around 5% body weight would be a good starting point for first cut

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What do you weigh?
    83kg. Did 30 in one go the other day as part of 3 sets of max reps. Chest to floor, arms by side rather than out and flared. Never really do them so was just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,290 ✭✭✭COH

How long do you have to put the weight back on? I've cut from close to 110kg heavily bloated to <100 the following Friday but only because I knew I had 24hrs to rehydrate atc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

83kg. Did 30 in one go the other day as part of 3 sets of max reps. Chest to floor, arms by side rather than out and flared. Never really do them so was just curious.

I think once you're over 20 perfect form push ups then you're well above average.

The majority can't do more then 20 with most hovering about the 10 mark. And of those very few will do them with correct form. I'd say about 5% of people can do a perfect form push up.

Obviously with a cross section of reasonable fit people 20 would be a low bench mark.but the general population 20 is high.

I'd be impressed if someone could bang out 30 perfect form push ups in front of me. I'd be mildly surprised if they could do 50.
    The 100 push ups bet is quite common in my world and I've seen loads of degenerates attempting it. But they have all been ugly arsed push ups which I wouldn't count. I don't think I've ever seen someone who wasn't a fitness professional or military able to do it.

It is funny watching some degenerate gambler standing up all red faced and proud that he has done X number of push ups only to be told that not one of them counted.most are elbows out head nods.

I'm not going to test any time soon but I would be surprised if I could get 20 with good form. So if you can do 30 then you're in an upper percentile.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

As far as I know, a big limiting factor is recovery in time for competition. The elite MMA guys get hooked up to an IV immediately after making weight, which is a much more efficient way of rehydrating and replenishing glycogen than oral consumption.

I have no experience in cutting BTW, but from a common sense point of view, I'd err on the side of caution for a first go at it. The extra weight won't do you a huge amount of good if you're only 85% recovered when you have to compete.

All sorts of nails being hit on the head.

I think once you're over 20 perfect form push ups then you're well above average.

The majority can't do more then 20 with most hovering about the 10 mark. And of those very few will do them with correct form. I'd say about 5% of people can do a perfect form push up.

Obviously with a cross section of reasonable fit people 20 would be a low bench mark.but the general population 20 is high.

I'd be impressed if someone could bang out 30 perfect form push ups in front of me. I'd be mildly surprised if they could do 50.
    The 100 push ups bet is quite common in my world and I've seen loads of degenerates attempting it. But they have all been ugly arsed push ups which I wouldn't count. I don't think I've ever seen someone who wasn't a fitness professional or military able to do it.

It is funny watching some degenerate gambler standing up all red faced and proud that he has done X number of push ups only to be told that not one of them counted.most are elbows out head nods.

I'm not going to test any time soon but I would be surprised if I could get 20 with good form. So if you can do 30 then you're in an upper percentile.
    Now I'm seriously doubting my push-up form! Interesting though.

I rarely do them. Although a while back I was doing quite a few diamond push-ups for tricep work. But, they seem to be a good max rep exercise as its easy to go to failure. I also thinking its easier to be strict on form then with dumbbell exercises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

well you said your elbows were tucked so I guess your form would be good.

Thats the main thing people do wrong when they are proving they can do push ups. And letting their back sag.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

well you said your elbows were tucked so I guess your form would be good.

Thats the main thing people do wrong when they are proving they can do push ups. And letting their back sag.

No piking at hips, no lower back sag (ie maintain plank throughout), no elbow flare, insides of elbows pointing forward (as much as possible), chest to floor, no momentum used, protracted scaps at top of rep - these are the cues I would be using to assess proper push up form. 50 would be positively beastly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVtINe6Jv2U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That feeling when a kangaroo is more jacked than you are. FML.

Yeah I'd have assume that a 15min fight was just as taxing a lifting. But maybe not.
    COH wrote: »
    How long do you have to put the weight back on? I've cut from close to 110kg heavily bloated to <100 the following Friday but only because I knew I had 24hrs to rehydrate atc.

It will be 24 hours. Friday evening weigh in, Saturday evening event.
    Cutting from 73kg is the safe option, 75kg would be better. I wouldn't risk any more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Was anybody at the Klokov seminar in CrossFit Tipperary or know anybody who was at it, I'm interested to hear how it went.

dylbert wrote: »
    Was anybody at the Klokov seminar in CrossFit Tipperary or know anybody who was at it, I'm interested to hear how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Wore my new Power Perfects for the first time today. Front squats are so much more comfortable

Squatting in general ( with the bar ) was easier but front squats are a totally different ball game with lifting shoes on.

Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Quick question - doesn't really justify its own thread:
    Where's the cheapest place to get some standard plates, either in Dublin or online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Quick question - doesn't really justify its own thread:
    Where's the cheapest place to get some standard plates, either in Dublin or online?

Have you tried adverts.ie for second hand plates ?

• Advertisement

Klokov in Ireland

And another. This time with added leprechaun hat:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Those 30 for 30 are great documentaries

My favorite one out of the ones I've seen is the Two Escobars brilliant.

Was away in Poland last week for 5 days got back on Wednesday and still feel shattered :(, finding it hard to get back into the swing of things gym yesterday for the first time killed me energy levels were shot.

Eating what you want and drinking to much is a killer on the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

And another. This time with added leprechaun hat:

Power Clean and Push Press @ 180kgs while wearing a large Leprechaun hat. :pac:

I'm going to one of these on Tuesday :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Did some indoor climbing yesterday for the first time. Serious forearm and lat doms this morning. Its great fun and savage for grip strength!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Anybody here at the IPO benchpress comp today? Some fine lifting. Great lift of 232.5kg from Bernard Delaney

conzy wrote: »
    Did some indoor climbing yesterday for the first time. Serious forearm and lat doms this morning. Its great fun and savage for grip strength!

Awesome Walls? I've been up there a few times, good craic but hard work alright, did you do top roping or bouldering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

My favorite one out of the ones I've seen is the Two Escobars brilliant.

Was away in Poland last week for 5 days got back on Wednesday and still feel shattered :(, finding it hard to get back into the swing of things gym yesterday for the first time killed me energy levels were shot.

Eating what you want and drinking to much is a killer on the system.

I watched the 2 Escobars documentary a while back, very interesting. I'd highly recommend it

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

dylbert wrote: »
    Awesome Walls? I've been up there a few times, good craic but hard work alright, did you do top roping or bouldering?

Gravity in Inchicore, Its all bouldering walls there I think. Will definitely be heading back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

conzy wrote: »

^^This ^^

Have been going once a week since December. Great fun and great upper-body training!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement