Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Where have front squats been all my life

Really enjoying them, not flexible enough to do the "clean" grip yet so I'm doing arms folded.. Killer on the shoulders, will just need to get bigger shoulders :pac:

The depth I can get on them is unreal too, Not sure if that points to a tightness / mobility issue with my back squat or if front squats in general just allow that greater range of motion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

conzy wrote: »
    Where have front squats been all my life

Really enjoying them, not flexible enough to do the "clean" grip yet so I'm doing arms folded.. Killer on the shoulders, will just need to get bigger shoulders :pac:

The depth I can get on them is unreal too, Not sure if that points to a tightness / mobility issue with my back squat or if front squats in general just allow that greater range of motion.

In teh same boat with the hold but working on it. Did them on Friday and only used the cross-arms hold for the top weight.

They allow greater depth anyway but you might also have mobility issues :D

Use a band to stretch your wrists: loop one end around your right foot, say, and the other around the palm of your right hand when it's in the front rack position. You can then move your arm/shoulder around a bit and seek out tight angles. Within a week of doing that daily I could comfortably hold a front rack (with full grip on the bar, not just fingertips). Couldn't recommend it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

gvn wrote: »
    Use a band to stretch your wrists: loop one end around your right foot, say, and the other around the palm of your right hand when it's in the front rack position. You can then move your arm/shoulder around a bit and seek out tight angles. Within a week of doing that daily I could comfortably hold a front rack (with full grip on the bar, not just fingertips). Couldn't recommend it more.

Must give that a try. Been standing about a foot out from the wall and walking my hands down the wall, keeping full contact, like some sort of weird mime artist. Helped a bit alright but I'd only done it the once before Friday's front squats but it helped a little even at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Make sure to work on your triceps, lats and thoracic extension as well when working towards the front rack. IMO these should be the main focus, the wrists tend to take up the slack from a lack of flexibility in these areas and that's why people complain of sore wrists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

One the lads in work has gone on a diet with his wife and without being to harsh told him it was bollocks really, its one these slimming world diets eating diet this and low fat that, no olive oil, real butter etc

Anyone know of a good simple article that breaks it down and explains nutrition? I remember authority nutrition had a good one a while ago but can't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

One the lads in work has gone on a diet with his wife and without being to harsh told him it was bollocks really, its one these slimming world diets eating diet this and low fat that, no olive oil, real butter etc

Anyone know of a good simple article that breaks it down and explains nutrition? I remember authority nutrition had a good one a while ago but can't find it.

http://simplesciencefitness.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Last nights seminar, it was amazing watching the man lift and a great insight into his training. His method of teaching is allot different to whats being thought in CrossFit, he said we drill technique allot but our bodies aren't strong enough for heavy weights, the number 1 problem he's seeing around the world is weak backs.

Amazing night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

it woulad appear from these videos that Dmitry is particularly interested in womens weightlifting

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The videos are gas the way he just wanders around with a camera. What a beasht of a man though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I don't know anything about Klokov, but he is one hard looking mofo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Russians are the scariest white people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

^^^^

Hmmm.
    What about the Saffers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

New shoes? Don't mind if I do!

09ae8b889ee211e392eb0e0553255ac0_8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Im doing the Stronglifts 5x5 the last 14 weeks and have seen great gains. Have put on about 13kg and look great. Currently weigh 92kg at 6'2 (was really skinny before).

I'm now squatting 83kgs, however after 3-4 sets its like my glutes go into shock. I have to lie down and kinda squirm for relief! It goes away after 30mins or so but makes it nearly impossible to complete my sets.
    I took a week off as i figured it might be tiredness. Came back the other day and hit the 5x5. However tonight I could only complete 2 sets of squats. Any ideas whats happening. I'm thinking of replacing the squats with deadlifts for a couple of weeks

• Advertisement

You training in jeans? :p

dylbert wrote: »
    You training in jeans? :p

I don't usually try on shoes in full gym attire. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Nice.

I just bought my first pair of lifting shoes last week.

I don't usually try on shoes in full gym attire. :D

Then how will you know if they match your headband? could be a massive fashion faux pas.

Then how will you know if they match your headband? could be a massive fashion faux pas.

I have a headband in every colour so no fear of them not matching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

LG1234 wrote: »
    Im doing the Stronglifts 5x5 the last 14 weeks and have seen great gains. Have put on about 13kg and look great. Currently weigh 92kg at 6'2 (was really skinny before).

I'm now squatting 83kgs, however after 3-4 sets its like my glutes go into shock. I have to lie down and kinda squirm for relief! It goes away after 30mins or so but makes it nearly impossible to complete my sets.
    I took a week off as i figured it might be tiredness. Came back the other day and hit the 5x5. However tonight I could only complete 2 sets of squats. Any ideas whats happening. I'm thinking of replacing the squats with deadlifts for a couple of weeks

No idea. Is there a 1 missing off that 83?

But a kilo gain per week is a shed full. Over 2 stone. Nearly 30 pounds. In less than 4 months.

No idea. Is there a 1 missing off that 83?

But a kilo gain per week is a shed full. Over 2 stone. Nearly 30 pounds. In less than 4 months.

No theres no 1 missing off that 83, but I'm speaking in kgs. I know 83kgs is still a pretty crap squat but I've always had pretty weak glutes and only had major knee surgery less than 10 months ago, resulting in muscle wastage and virtually no quads in one leg. So I'm really happy with my progress, feel much better, posture is much better and I feel way stronger. Just need to figure out whats this problem with my glutes so I can keep adding weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No theres no 1 missing off that 83, but I'm speaking in kgs. I know 83kgs is still a pretty crap squat but I've always had pretty weak glutes and only had major knee surgery less than 10 months ago, resulting in muscle wastage and virtually no quads in one leg. So I'm really happy with my progress, feel much better, posture is much better and I feel way stronger. Just need to figure out whats this problem with my glutes so I can keep adding weight.

What do yo mean by shock - are you fatigued, cramping or what? Are you just overworking them given your previous issues?

What do yo mean by shock - are you fatigued, cramping or what? Are you just overworking them given your previous issues?

Its hard to explain, but it feels like cramp, only milder than full cramp. Feels like its tight and about to go into a spasm i probably am overworking them, but have been fine up until about 3 weeks ago. Took a week off, had one great session and then today back to the glute pain. Think i may stop doing squats for a couple of weeks and see how I get on. Or replace them with deadlifts for a couple of weeks for some variation. Or just drop the weight down by about 20kgs and work my way back up again. Really don't want to change though as Im making such great progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's probably an issue with your form and/or posture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Its hard to explain, but it feels like cramp, only milder than full cramp. Feels like its tight and about to go into a spasm i probably am overworking them, but have been fine up until about 3 weeks ago. Took a week off, had one great session and then today back to the glute pain. Think i may stop doing squats for a couple of weeks and see how I get on. Or replace them with deadlifts for a couple of weeks for some variation. Or just drop the weight down by about 20kgs and work my way back up again. Really don't want to change though as Im making such great progress.

Foam roll them, drink more water. Are you stretching at all?

Foam roll them, drink more water. Are you stretching at all?

I drink tonnes of water. I do about 15mins of stretches beforehand and then do about 10 warm up squats with about 20kgs on the bar. Going to give myself till Sunday and then try heavy squats again. if I can't do it then I'll leave them out for 10 days and let me legs properly rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

then do about 10 warm up squats with about 20kgs on the bar.

Are you going from 20kg to 83kg in one jump?

This just poped up on my facebook feed.
    Matt Wichlinski is a by no means a small guy. But, holy ****, HHH dwarfs him. His arm is massive.

1966909_10152232441728996_267239672_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So the 'sport of fitness' announced its first Open Workout last night. Drumroll:

10 min amrap of:
    30 Double Unders
    15 Power Snatches (any ground to overhead method acceptable) @ 34kgs / 25kgs

A repeat of one they did three years ago.

I hadn't registered for the Open and didn't intend doing any of the workouts but I'd imagine I'd be a bit disappointed in something so...boring. Or maybe not? What do you make of it dylbert?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

First open workout is traditionally boring and simple. No surprise really.

Hanley wrote: »
    First open workout is traditionally boring and simple. No surprise really.

Well, last year was Burpees and snatches over 17 minutes with gradually increasing weight on the snatches eventually working up to heavy weights. It was far superior in my opinion (though wtf do I know I suppose) because beginners were going to be able to target the first 100 reps over the 17 minutes but the big players were going to be seperated by the heavier reps on the back end of the workout.

In this case, many beginners struggle to do double unders while few enough reps will separate the top end when it's said and done (I reckon, could be proven wrong on that).

I though last year's Open workouts were well constructed generally, this seems a step back for me.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, last year was Burpees and snatches over 17 minutes with gradually increasing weight on the snatches eventually working up to heavy weights. It was far superior in my opinion (though wtf do I know I suppose) because beginners were going to be able to target the first 100 reps over the 17 minutes but the big players were going to be seperated by the heavier reps on the back end of the workout.

In this case, many beginners struggle to do double unders while few enough reps will separate the top end when it's said and done (I reckon, could be proven wrong on that).

I though last year's Open workouts were well constructed generally, this seems a step back for me.

DU'sl followed by P Snatches are diseptivly tough, even at 35kg, it's a seriously gassy workout.

DU'sl followed by P Snatches are diseptivly tough, even at 35kg, it's a seriously gassy workout.

Yep, it looks gassy alright.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yep, it looks gassy alright.

Will be no bother to the top guys, more of a sprint for them.
    I'm gonna give it a go on Monday, I'll let yis know how it goes.

I think 2 years ago the first round was 7min AMRAP burpees, now that was boring.

Will be no bother to the top guys, more of a sprint for them.
    I'm gonna give it a go on Monday, I'll let yis know how it goes.

I think 2 years ago the first round was 7min AMRAP burpees, now that was boring.

Yeah, Hanley is right obv - they generally aren't particularly innovative. I just felt a bit more thought than usual went into last year's opener and was looking forward to more of the same. Anyway...

Best of luck with it on Monday!! :)

Lloyd are you not doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Wasn't implying it was crap, just in relation to putting on 2 stone (some of that has to be muscle) I thought you might have made a typo!

If you're missing a massive part of one of your legs they're just tired is my expert assessment.

Lloyd are you not doing it?

Nope.

• Advertisement

I think once you're over 20 perfect form push ups then you're well above average.

The majority can't do more then 20 with most hovering about the 10 mark. And of those very few will do them with correct form. I'd say about 5% of people can do a perfect form push up.

Obviously with a cross section of reasonable fit people 20 would be a low bench mark.but the general population 20 is high.

I'd be impressed if someone could bang out 30 perfect form push ups in front of me. I'd be mildly surprised if they could do 50.
    The 100 push ups bet is quite common in my world and I've seen loads of degenerates attempting it. But they have all been ugly arsed push ups which I wouldn't count. I don't think I've ever seen someone who wasn't a fitness professional or military able to do it.

It is funny watching some degenerate gambler standing up all red faced and proud that he has done X number of push ups only to be told that not one of them counted.most are elbows out head nods.

I'm not going to test any time soon but I would be surprised if I could get 20 with good form. So if you can do 30 then you're in an upper percentile.
    Tried this again and really tried to watch my form and only got 25 this time. Good Max Rep exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Any example of correct pushup technique? ass up chest down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

JJayoo wrote: »

That doesn't sound right? I thought you were meant to keep your body pretty horizontal.

Straight line

JJayoo wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I guess something like;
    Chest to ground, spine braced throughout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

bluewolf wrote: »

Sucralose? I tend to avoid it. I'd be interested in trying to make my own variant of these without it.

bluewolf wrote: »
    What does 3g net carbs mean when they're 22g of carbs?

Sangre wrote: »
    What does 3g net carbs mean when they're 22g of carbs?

17g of it is fibre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I don't get the quest bar love.

They're still processed packaged food.

Hanley wrote: »
    I don't get the quest bar love.

They're still processed packaged food.

Good for emergencies!
    Also oreos

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement