Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Anyone know can ya machine wash vivo barefoot shoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Ant11 wrote: »
    Anyone know can ya machine wash vivo barefoot shoes?

I don't know about those specifically, but in general shoes don't do too well in the washing machine. Bit of fairy liquid and a warmish basin of water usually do the trick for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Saw a dude bust his neck deadlifting. Looked to the side half way through. He's currently leaving.

Link to picture of Scot Mendelson, powerlifter, after what looks like a serious peck tear.

I didn't embed the image in case of offending any squeamish wusses. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Link to picture of Scot Mendelson, powerlifter, after what looks like a serious peck tear.

That's bruising, yeah? Wow.
    Saw a dude bust his neck deadlifting. Looked to the side half way through. He's currently leaving.

Doesn't sound good, why ever look to the side?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's bruising, yeah? Wow.

Doesn't sound good, why ever look to the side?

That picture is over a year old.

I don't know, looked nasty though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That picture is over a year old.

I don't know, looked nasty though.

Saw me saying that on FB yah?

Hanley wrote: »
    Saw me saying that on FB yah?

No it came up on a gym page on FB a few days ago and I googled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Did someone actually just get called out for unoriginality / not getting there first on stating a simple fact? Jesus that **** hurts my butt. it could be yesterday's deficit deads though. That reminds me I hope no-one else did deficit pulls yesterday, or ever again for that matter, the cheeky copycats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If you're not that squeamish you might as well look at it happen in real time. 2:40 of the video is the start of the lift, it didn't come back up. Horrific

• Advertisement

If you're not that squeamish you might as well look at it happen in real time. 2:40 of the video is the start of the lift, it didn't come back up. Horrific

2:49, watch his pec tear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

There is no way I'm watching that.

But can anyone explain how it happens? Is it simply the weight tears his pec? Or he's lifted slightly incorrectly? Or a bit of both?

There is no way I'm watching that.

But can anyone explain how it happens? Is it simply the weight tears his pec? Or he's lifted slightly incorrectly? Or a bit of both?

I haven't watched the video, and I don't intend to any time soon.

Microtears happen all the time when we exercise. The DOMS response is as a result of the number of microtears exceeding a threshold that our bodies can repair quickly, and happens when a muscle is over-exerted (this is relative to how trained or conditioned an athlete is).

When doing high-stress movements, such as sprinting, jumping, turning sharply, or max-effort lifting, the forces involved are multiples of what the body usually has to deal with, and it is usually these type of movements that result in significant tears or rupture. The likelihood of these injuries can be exacerbated by bad technique, fatigue, or insufficient warming up, but sometimes, notably in the case of hamstring injuries, a big tear can appear from nowhere. This can usually be explained by the life philosophy of "**** happens".

BTW I have absolutely no qualifications in sports medicine or anything of the like, that's just my take from what I've read in various places on teh interwebz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Starting bulking again today after somewhat unintentionally losing a stone since the end of January.

Regardless of what non gym goers and fatties may think, eating all day long is no fun whatsoever.

Just saw that the HSE food board removed ON's ZMA fproduct from shelves because the magnesium isn't fit for human consumption. They won't give out the evidence to say why though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Is toning a real thing? I mean, something that isn't a combination of fat reduction and / or muscle development?

The majority of casual gym goers who I speak to want to 'tone up', but nobody ever wants to lose fat and nobody ever wants to build muscle. :confused:

Is there some other major factor in body composition that I'm currently unaware of?

Who cares. You know what it means. Meet people where they are. Not where you think they should be :)

Who cares. You know what it means. Meet people where they are. Not where you think they should be :)

Oh I don't really care tbh, but a few people have said things like "You've lost a lot of weight - how can I do it?". When I say I do X to reduce fat and Y to develop/retain muscle, the typical response is along the lines of "Oh I don't need any of that, I just want to tone up"...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Essien wrote: »
    The majority of casual gym goers who I speak to want to 'tone up', but nobody ever wants to lose fat and nobody ever wants to build muscle. :confused:
    Translation: They want to maintain their current weight, and get leaner. Body recomposition.

It's not worth getting bogged down or confusing them with technicalities. Just keep it simple,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Just saw that the HSE food board removed ON's ZMA fproduct from shelves because the magnesium isn't fit for human consumption. They won't give out the evidence to say why though.

A lot of other ZMAs are still all good. I know that ROS Nutrition ZMAs are magnesium oxide and citrate. Kinetica ZMAs are citrate as well as far as I'm aware. Plenty of other cheaper ZMAs to ON anyway. Not going to comment on the HSE though.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When I say I do X to reduce fat and Y to develop/retain muscle, the typical response is along the lines of "Oh I don't need any of that, I just want to tone up"...:o
    Some people just tune out when they hear any technicalities, they presume they will not understand it and want to nip it in the bud to stop you wasting your time. I fix friends laptops a fair bit, if I see them tuning out, or know in advance they do not know much I will not go into technicalities.

"People don't get it, sure what can you do"
    Keep spitting (wisdom) in their 'casual' faces until something sinks in, maybe. that's just me though, I don't have to worry about selling a service.

"People don't get it, sure what can you do"
    Keep spitting (wisdom) in their 'casual' faces until something sinks in, maybe. that's just me though, I don't have to worry about selling a service.

So you're more concerned with being "right" than helping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Oh I don't really care tbh, but a few people have said things like "You've lost a lot of weight - how can I do it?". When I say I do X to reduce fat and Y to develop/retain muscle, the typical response is along the lines of "Oh I don't need any of that, I just want to tone up"...:o

Get-stomach-stapled.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

So has anyone here tried "Even easier strength" by Dan John/Pavel?

So you're more concerned with being "right" than helping?
    Nah, not the case. I'm not in the business of anything related to this but I'm reasonably interested in helping the people around me on the few things I can. and not that interested in just coming across "right" because realistically most people get irritated by that.

But I'm betting that letting it take longer for pennies to drop for people about little stuff like that isn't doing them the big favour people here are acting like it is.

I've never once been like "sorry m8 but you said something WRONG there and I know better", it's just awkward holding a conversation on stuff like this with someone who's not really on the same page.

Like I came on here a few years ago being all guise how much creatine do I "do"? will I get tone if I don't do a "loading phase"?? and other questions that made it obvious I was clueless and thought I was dealing with some kind of magical substance. People shooting that crap straight down being like "lol, wtf u on about" sooner rather than later was a positive thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Just wow. 13.4

8min AMRAP of:

10 deadlifts, 135 / 95
    15 box jumps, 24 / 20

15 deadlifts, 185 / 135
    15 box jumps

20 deadlifts, 225 / 155
    15 box jumps

25 deadlifts, 275 / 185
    15 box jumps

30 deadlifts, 315 / 205
    15 box jumps

35 deadlifts, 365 / 225
    15 box jumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Molly wrote: »
    Just wow. 13.4

10 deadlifts, 135 / 95

I have no idea what this means!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I have no idea what this means!?

Men lift 135, women lift 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Men lift 135, women lift 95.

Where is the program coming from?

link_2007 wrote: »
    Where is the program coming from?

It's one of the Crossfit Open workouts.

Just wow. 13.4

8min AMRAP of:

10 deadlifts, 135 / 95
    15 box jumps, 24 / 20

15 deadlifts, 185 / 135
    15 box jumps

20 deadlifts, 225 / 155
    15 box jumps

25 deadlifts, 275 / 185
    15 box jumps

30 deadlifts, 315 / 205
    15 box jumps

35 deadlifts, 365 / 225
    15 box jumps

Hoping to give this a go this evening, I'll let you know how much it sucks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

35 deadlifts, 165kg? WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Great news for chiropractors everywhere.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote: »
    35 deadlifts, 165kg? WTF?

I would have thought it was only the very, very good that got to teh point where they were doing more than 5 of those.

But I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I would have thought it was only the very, very good that got to teh point where they were doing more than 5 of those.

But I'm open to correction.

It probably will be, but surely they'll be so fatigued by that point it's just asking for injuries.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    It probably will be, but surely they'll be so fatigued by that point it's just asking for injuries.

The first 45 deadlifts are warmups essentially, very light. Anyone capable of getting as far as the '35' deadlifts @ 166kgs will likely be strong enough that 166 will represent something less than 75% of their max.

It is a mad workout - high rep deadlifts is always a bad idea. But the vast majority of participants won't have to worry about the 166kgs reps (I have no shot of getting that far) and the important thing from a coaching perspective is to have a chat with each participant and make sure that they are slowing down and really focussing on setting their back at the sacrifice of work done at whichever bank of deadlifts that represent something more than 60% of their max.

Anyone watch the Conor McGregor show last night?

Thought it was pretty good, surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Was pretty good . Found it funny how as soon as he landed in vegas he seemed to have an american accent all of a sudden then when hes back in dublin he had a dublin accent you could take a photograph of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

dor843088 wrote: »
    Was pretty good . Found it funny how as soon as he landed in vegas he seemed to have an american accent all of a sudden then when hes back in dublin he had a dublin accent you could take a photograph of.

unfortunatley happens to us all.
    I sound like a spa when I'm out with my polish mate. end up talking in a half dublin - half james bond villian accent.

When I cop on to this I go into the jacks and punch myself repeatedly for being a spa

unfortunatley happens to us all.
    I sound like a spa when I'm out with my polish mate. end up talking in a half dublin - half james bond villian accent.

Are you....Joey Barton? :)

Schteve McLaren's your only man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

jaysis that's low.
    Schteve McLaren's your only man!

steve's accent was fairly snazzy. unfortunately for steve the media have it in for him in such a way he could cure cancer and they'd poke fun at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Thought it'd be better tbh. A lot of it was just him reading quotes with awful background music. Hope he does well but have to say his public persona is getting a bit tiresome/repetitive. Looking forward to seeing him fight again even though I'm not the biggest MMA fan, no one can doubt his attitude or love for the sport.

Anyone have a template for RPT? I just seem to see principles of it posted around the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just a heads up for anyone who might be looking to buy some bench's weights etc.

This place has a few pieces up and have said they will have a large gym clearance coming up next week.

https://www.facebook.com/Irish.Liquidators

Just wow. 13.4

8min AMRAP of:

10 deadlifts, 135 / 95
    15 box jumps, 24 / 20

15 deadlifts, 185 / 135
    15 box jumps

20 deadlifts, 225 / 155
    15 box jumps

25 deadlifts, 275 / 185
    15 box jumps

30 deadlifts, 315 / 205
    15 box jumps

35 deadlifts, 365 / 225
    15 box jumps

Could only manage 106 reps on this. Very tough, serious gas tank required.

Good score, chief! It's not easy to get a three-number score doing the exercises properly!

Anyone have much experience with leangains intermittent fasting on a cut?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement