Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone have a template for RPT? I just seem to see principles of it posted around the net.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd70nti40nhmh3b/31minutes%27%20AMA%20for%20r_leangains.pdf this guy was one of Martin Berkhan's former clients, apparently. He gave out his exact RPT program in an AMA on reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

CM24 wrote: »
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd70nti40nhmh3b/31minutes%27%20AMA%20for%20r_leangains.pdf this guy was one of Martin Berkhan's former clients, apparently. He gave out his exact RPT program in an AMA on reddit.

Yeah I've seen that alright. It's a good read and a great guide to go by alright. Just wondering about other experiences. Thanks for the link though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,290 ✭✭✭COH

Molly wrote: »

Works great - I bought a car buffer from argos over a year ago after seeing Clint Dardens vids on it and it still gets used regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Just wow. 13.4

8min AMRAP of:

10 deadlifts, 135 / 95
    15 box jumps, 24 / 20

15 deadlifts, 185 / 135
    15 box jumps

20 deadlifts, 225 / 155
    15 box jumps

25 deadlifts, 275 / 185
    15 box jumps

30 deadlifts, 315 / 205
    15 box jumps

35 deadlifts, 365 / 225
    15 box jumps

achilles_tendon_rupture.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kevpants wrote: »
    achilles_tendon_rupture.jpg

Not if you step up and down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

COH wrote: »
    Works great - I bought a car buffer from argos over a year ago after seeing Clint Dardens vids on it and it still gets used regularly

I cant comment on it working well or not but it wont be long before you see a label saying 'Not for use on humans on' it.

Also expect to see a Rogue version in the near future. That will definitely end badly.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I cant comment on it working well or not but it wont be long before you see a label saying 'Not for use on humans on' it.

Also expect to see a Rogue version in the near future. That will definitely end badly.

wacker-plate-from-PALhire.co.uk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Been waiting for lidl to get a buffer back in stock for ages. Feel kind of stupid spending black and decker money just for smr.

I did try it with my buffer attachment on my drill. Did not go well.

• Advertisement

Looking to do something on my off days. I'm currently on a cut doing RPT 3 times a week. I have about 30 minutes in the morning before work. So I'm consider flexibility and mobility work, cardio or possibly some met con work. Suggestions all welcome folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Looking to do something on my off days. I'm currently on a cut doing RPT 3 times a week. I have about 30 minutes in the morning before work. So I'm consider flexibility and mobility work, cardio or possibly some met con work. Suggestions all welcome folks!

You could technically do all the above. More mobility stuff, a metcon and maybe some core stability work broken out through the week.

You could technically do all the above. More mobility stuff, a metcon and maybe some core stability work broken out through the week.

Is it not counter productive to focus on too much at once?

You're not though. You can never be too mobile or never have too strong a core.

You should be doing mobility work anyway so. Doing a bit of extra core work won't do any harm and the metcon will only bring up conditioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Couple of sets of sleep as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Is it just me or has mobility stuff just become really popular over the last year or two? I feel like I missed a beat. I've been training for 5 years properly (well, not properly because I wasn't doing any mobility work) but only came across it about a year or so ago when i started trawling my way through Kelly Starrett's youtube channel.

Mobility stuff has to be the most important thing I've added to improve my general health & fitness since actually starting training, it makes some difference.

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    Is it just me or has mobility stuff just become really popular over the last year or two? I feel like I missed a beat. I've been training for 5 years properly (well, not properly because I wasn't doing any mobility work) but only came across it about a year or so ago when i started trawling my way through Kelly Starrett's youtube channel.

Mobility stuff has to be the most important thing I've added to improve my general health & fitness since actually starting training, it makes some difference.

Regardless of anyone's training or sporting background, lay people should do some sort of mobility work. It just makes life easier. As well as a decent level of strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

People should also question what are we doing in our daily lives that is fcuking up our mobility. All the foam rolling and stretching in the world can treat the symptoms and not address the cause which may be as simple as changing your ****ty posture while you're watching tv or are on the interweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I've only started foam rolling recently and tbh I'm finding it hard to tell the difference between where I'm doing some good and where I'm just inflicting pain upon myself!

Essien wrote: »
    I've only started foam rolling recently and tbh I'm finding it hard to tell the difference between where I'm doing some good and where I'm just inflicting pain upon myself!

It becomes therapeutic eventually.

It becomes therapeutic eventually.

I'll just keep going the way I'm going, I'm probably just being a pussy about it, I usually feel great once I'm done though.

There's a good vid on Transforms blog with a few basic mobility tests that I think I'll use as a gauge of how well it's working for me.

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    I'll just keep going the way I'm going, I'm probably just being a pussy about it, I usually feel great once I'm done though.

There's a good vid on Transforms blog with a few basic mobility tests that I think I'll use as a gauge of how well it's working for me.

Got a link?

Got a link?

http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2013/01/4-mobility-tests-to-reduce-risk-of-injury/

Seems like a good start for someone like myself who knows very little about it,

Speaking as a lay person mobility work is proving to be the best thing I've discovered. I don't regret not going to the gym for 20 years. I do regret doing nothing about my mobility.
    If i could reset my clock then I would be including daily Smr and the startingstretching routine from childhood.

I would now likely be pain free and richer as I wouldn't be spending a small fortune on weird shaped objects to jab into my flesh.

I'm constantly finding new videos and tools to help with some movement or other. Or looking to find a way to incorporate a stretch into my daily routine.
    Seemingly the only way I make any progress is by near constant effort. I have to be always working on something. If I'm not grinding a golf ball into my back I'm bending my wrists and ankles, or pulling at my joints with a rubber band.

I think you have to look at it as constant repair and manipulation, use it or lose it.
    Don't just sit and vegitate, stretch your hips and quads too. Don't just stand looking in the mirror while you brush your teeth stretch your hammies etc

Ok grand! Now I just need to get some equipment for some good mobility drills.

I also plan on integrating some direct grip work 2 days a week. That's the plan anyway. I just need to see if I can maintain this with my work schedule.

I also plan on integrating some direct grip work 2 days a week. That's the plan anyway. I just need to see if I can maintain this with my work schedule.

Roller, lacrosse ball, few different thickness bands from D8 and you're on your way.

Roller, lacrosse ball, few different thickness bands from D8 and you're on your way.

Unfortunately I'm in Finland at the moment. I know where I can get a foam roller and probably a ball but not bands. I'd have to order them online anyway as I had a bad reaction to the material in the last one I was using. Screwed my progress for a good few months before I figured out what was causing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Unfortunately I'm in Finland at the moment. I know where I can get a foam roller and probably a ball but not bands. I'd have to order them online anyway as I had a bad reaction to the material in the last one I was using. Screwed my progress for a good few months before I figured out what was causing it.

If you can get your hands on Bicycle inner tubes , give em a wash (cut into strips if you want )and they do the same job.

You probably already have most of the stuff you need. All the gear in the world is essentially just mimicking the fingers and knuckles of your self or another person.
    I saw a massage ball from triggerpoint therapy in elverys for 30 euro. Shocking rip off. And their roller (the quad baller) is 70 or so. Completely unecessary for that price

From most used to least my gear is:
    Massage stick. Dogs rubber ball. Frozen water bottle. Red band from D8. Purple band from D8. Tennis ball. Golf ball. Foam roller. Large massage ball. (Grapefruit sized) medium massage ball ( hurling ball). Shiatsu massager. Knuckles and finger tips. Professional therapists. My missus.

For grip training:
    7 inches of 2x4 with an eye hook and chain attached.
    Bucket of sand.

Foam roller and massage stick were 30 and 15 euros each bands are 12-20 or so. Everything else is free or less than 5 euro.
    Bag of building sand in homebase was 2.50 I think. Great for grip training.

Just use webbing strips. Like what you would tie luggage to a car with.

My therapist has me doing stretches with therapy webbing. It's just 5 feet of webbing with loops for your hands.
    Works just like a band. And you can get it off amazon for 3-5 euro.
    The bands don't need to be stretchy for stretching. In fact you get better results if there is no give in the material.

I literally just bought these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000LFU0FE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

For the dual use of a portable pull up bar and for stretching. 20% the cost of a band and more versatile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Rogue's European branch is located in Finland.

http://www.rogueeurope.eu/mobility-rehab/mobility-tools.php

• Advertisement

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00025HK24/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=10NFNJRJS2XES&coliid=I1UEQIPZMNSZOD

this will likely be my next purchase, but not for that price, they are $20 in the us. still a rip off tho. But no doubt I will get one to add to my collection, use it once and leave it in my bag for months

startingstretching routine

This is exactly what I've been looking for for months. That, and the Molding Mobility programme on the same site. Thanks, thegreatiam.

gvn wrote: »
    This is exactly what I've been looking for for months. That, and the Molding Mobility programme on the same site. Thanks, thegreatiam.

thanks go to phracture of reddit fame
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/jjprs/starting_stretching_a_flexibility_program_for/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

What do people thi k about max effort work without a belt? I was working up to a heavy single on squats yesterday and when I got to about what I estimated to be about 90% I threw on my belt and had horrendous form breakdown (forward lean) . I completed the lift and it wasnt a big deal so I took the belt off and continued to add weight much more comfortably with good form beltless .Do people compete beltless ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

dor843088 wrote: »
    What do people thi k about max effort work without a belt? I was working up to a heavy single on squats yesterday and when I got to about what I estimated to be about 90% I threw on my belt and had horrendous form breakdown (forward lean) . I completed the lift and it wasnt a big deal so I took the belt off and continued to add weight much more comfortably with good form beltless .Do people compete beltless ?

Your belt was almost certainly too tight.

Hanley wrote: »
    Your belt was almost certainly too tight.

Yeah it was tighter than I would have liked come to think of it. Been training beltless for months now so wearing a belt feels odd but ill give wearin it looser a try . Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Today I get to squat a double for the first time in months on the road to rebuilding some sort of powerlifting base. It may be only 85% of my all-time PR but I am still unreasonably excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

dor843088 wrote: »

I have never worn a belt going for max efforts. Is it the right or wrong way.... up to you. I find it very uncomfortable, but that's just me. If you feel like you benefit from it, use it.

If you can't control the bar with it on then maybe psychologically you're relying on it too much and not concentrating on the lift enough. (possible broscience)

Don't beat it on to yourself though. A belt that's too tight will be more of a hindrance than a benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

Just saw this and hoped I could become as good as this one day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Tried a Michael Phelps-esque 12,000kcal food day. Exploded at 7,500 or so.

I'll make it someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I'll make it someday.

Baby steps grasshopper. So what did you eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I started stronglifts 5 months ago and have made really good gains but have put a bit more fat on than i would of hoped (was doing gomad).

Am now going to start cycling to work again, but I'm wondering whats the best way to approach it. The cycle is 6 miles each way.

I'm not going to cycle 5 days, probably 3. Should I cycle on days Im lifting or the rest days inbetween? Should I up more claories again on keep them to same to try burn some fat (but also muscle I presume). Should I cycle HIIT or just take it handy? Any other advice?

Baby steps grasshopper. So what did you eat?

I was disappointed in the end!

I ended up having something like 6 eggs, 10 rashers, 2 avocados, 3 litres of milk(some chocolate and strawberry, some raw), 500g of spuds, a giant steak, 300g of rice, 2 chicken breasts, a pizza and a tiny bit of ice cream.

It was all grand till around 4 o clock. I started about half 6 that morning. Energy was through the roof for the day. Well needed since the clocks going forward really fcuked me over today!

LG1234 wrote: »
    I started stronglifts 5 months ago and have made really good gains but have put a bit more fat on than i would of hoped (was doing gomad).

Am now going to start cycling to work again, but I'm wondering whats the best way to approach it. The cycle is 6 miles each way.

I'm not going to cycle 5 days, probably 3. Should I cycle on days Im lifting or the rest days inbetween? Should I up more claories again on keep them to same to try burn some fat (but also muscle I presume). Should I cycle HIIT or just take it handy? Any other advice?

How much is the cycle REALLY going to take out of you? Needs must and all that for work but keep training in your normal fashion- if you have to cycle to work so be it. Just take it handy going in on leg day:pac:

You're talking about wanting to drop fat and then up kcals? Pick one and focus on it. It's easier to put your focus on one goal but if you're doing strong lifts you obviously want to get stronger so just clean up your diet and minimise fat gains as much as possible till you decide to cut.

• Advertisement

I was disappointed in the end!

I ended up having something like 6 eggs, 10 rashers, 2 avocados, 3 litres of milk(some chocolate and strawberry, some raw), 500g of spuds, a giant steak, 300g of rice, 2 chicken breasts, a pizza and a tiny bit of ice cream.

It was all grand till around 4 o clock. I started about half 6 that morning. Energy was through the roof for the day. Well needed since the clocks going forward really fcuked me over today!

Rice can really really fill you up, next time pick your battles and leave the rice and spuds until the last meal. Today was only a warm up!

Rice can really really fill you up, next time pick your battles and leave the rice and spuds until the last meal. Today was only a warm up!

Rice doesn't fill me too much tbh, spuds on the other hand...

Rice doesn't fill me too much tbh, spuds on the other hand...

I'm like that too sort of, rice gives me a false hunger which is grand but when you can't fit any more in you cant fit any more in and they take up quite a bit of space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

LG1234 wrote: »

If you want to drop fat, just do the cycling 5 days a week.
    Add it in, don't eat anything extra, take it handy on the bike to begin with, focus on getting from A to B safely.

I started cycling to work in sept.
    I do 20km per day, so 100km a week.
    I'm down from 108kg to 99kg & that's the only thing I changed
    Still weight training 3-6 times per week & go the off bit of swimming/adventure races

I'll make it someday.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8iljkD1So&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This skinny kid eats a Michael phelps esque 12,000 cals in under 45 minutes . Pretty impressive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement